Firefighters mystified-Ground temp reached 812 degrees

I recently received the following message from 2Truthy, one of my fellow contributors at the Blondesense blogsite:
"Hey! you sent me a link to a site about the mysterious fires during NON-FIRE SEASON here in the normally pristine skies of CA last month. Here is an interesting story in today's SJM:
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10078748?source=most_viewed

I don't recall exactly which link, or links, I sent, but they were most likely garnered from the many that are available in the left column of the SOTT news page. The quoted article follows:
Mystified firefighters monitoring patch of ground where temperature reached 812 degrees
Ventura County Star
Article Launched: 08/02/2008 09:11:29 AM PDT

County firefighters are monitoring a patch of land north of Fillmore where the ground temperature climbed to 812 degrees on Friday for unknown reasons.

Possible theories include that natural hydrocarbons such as oil or gas are burning deep in the earth. But nobody knows for sure what might have ignited the materials.

"We are a little perplexed at this point, to tell you the truth," said David Panaro, a geologist with the Ventura County Watershed Protection, who was one of a few scientists called in to help solve the mystery. "This is not your usual geological detective story."

The area has recorded high heat at least five times since 1987, said Allen King, a retired geologist with the U.S. Forest Service, who also surveyed the scene where small streams of smoke wafted from cracks in the ground. The area is on land owned by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and leased by an oil company.

On Friday, the Ventura County Fire Department cleared the brush near the fumes and cut a fire line around the area to ensure a fire didn't start from the heat.

King said it's possible the blaze was started by another fire on the ground and it ignited a second fire underground. It could be as deep as 100 feet, he said.

Such fires where there are high concentrations of hydrocarbons are not uncommon around the world, he said.

Reminiscent of this article - http://www.sott.net/articles/show/158377-Colorado-Unexplained-ground-heat-burns-boy-s-feet - where the ground temperature in Colorado Springs was 800 for no discernible reason. Sounds like the sort of thing we should keep an eye on...

And this back in 2004 in Messina Italy and in 1990 in Berici Hills Italy.

http://www.sott.net/signs/signs_fire_supplement.htm

(Messina) - The mysterious phenomenon of the spontaneous fires that provoked fear and surprise among the residents of Canneto on the Tyrrhenian coast of the province of Messina has come to a standstill in the last twelve hours. The thirty or so inhabitants of the village who were evacuated for security reasons have not yet been able to go home. Experts of the State Rescue Services continue to carry out checks whilst awaiting special machinery from Milan in order to get more precise results.

Yesterday the fires had become paradoxical and were even breaking out in water pipes or between pieces of electrical wire which had been cut and were lying on the ground without being connected to any source of energy. The electricty has been turned off in Canneto for several days but this did not stop the fires breaking out. In the course of the last few days the flames developed again and again without any plausible explanation in domestic appliances, intercoms, plugs, meters. Checks by electricity company ENEL and technicians from the RFU have for the moment excluded any link between the fires and the electrical pylons of the Palermo-Messina railway line which passes only a few metres from the houses and which the residents believe are in some way responsible.

Comment: Before we get into some of the high strangenss from this current incident, we will take a look at a similar phenomena that occurred in northern Italy in 1990:

The Berici Hills Mystery

The trouble started in San Gottardo, a mountain village of 500 people above Vicenza in northern Italy, on 14 February 1990. Aldo Calgaretto saw the fuse box outside his house start to burn. Electricians found no faults, but even before they left, the new fuse box was in flames. Within two days, other bizarre events struck nearby houses on the narrow winding lane called Via Calora. Televisions switched themselves on and off, indicator lights flashed on a locked car, and armchair caught fire, as did a pair of ski boots and a plastic canopy. The electricity men returned with a sophisticated machine but the plastic switches melted.

When the fires started, Lucio Donatello, one of the joint mayors of San Gottardo, thought the village was affected by mass hysteria, but he soon changed his mind. 'One day I discovered my car engine running with all the doors locked. Then the right front door burst into flames in front of my eyes. Another time, I was given a jolt when the electric razor I was using caught fire in my hands!'

Mr Donatello and the other mayor, Giancario Zuin, visited Via Calora to restore confidence. As they stood talking, the parked car they had arrived in caught fire. 'We watched the rear plastic light slowly melt in front of our eyes,' said Mr. Zuin. 'There was more and more smoke and then it burst into flames. I couldn't believe it.'

The next event was Bertilla Moran's house filling with acrid smoke. The wheelchair used by his disabled father and kept under the stairs had caught fire and was destroyed. Dozens of people began to complain of headaches, sickness, stomach pains, and skin inflammations that seemed to be resistant to medication. Pets went off their food, while sheep, goats and chickens became restless.

Police, firemen and electricity men were unable to explain the events. Reaction in the village ranged from bafflement to terror. There was talk of the devil, UFOs, Martians, the supernatural. Some experts suspected 'excess electricity produced by high-power generators at a nearby US communications base.' The only reason many refused to leave was the fear that their homes would burn down in their absence and they would lose everything. Many families took turns to sleep so there was always someone to watch for fires. Sunday Express 11 March; Guardian 22 March; national Enquirer 9 April 1990. [The World's Most Incredible Stories: The Best of Fortean Times, New York 1992, p. 54]

On February 11, 2004 we have the following articles with more information. Panic is setting in, and wild emotional theories are being tossed around:

The story reminds of a couple of cases that I heard of recently, one in Costa Rica and the other one in Argentina, reporting mysterious sources of hot water or ground.

http://senalesdelostiempos.blogspot.com/2008/07/argentina-misteriosa-surgente-de-agua.html (spanish)

And then I remember this update about the Italian fires in sott:

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/137395-Mysterious+Fires+-+Pyromaniacs+or+Paranoids

The thing that surprised him, was to acknowledge that - by a near lawn grown up by few olives - the flames seemed to gush from the earth itself. Without warning, while walking, you could see the smoke and immediately after that, flames arising from the ground. That's it, out of nowhere. They managed to fix the situation by running back and forth for hours, with water buckets at hand, in order to put out the mysterious fires that seemed to escape from under the ground. We noticed: neither fires nor pyromaniacs were close to us at this point, so far.

Sorry for the ignorance. Is CA California? The more separate the events, the more significant they are, I think. It is quite an anomaly to have the ground burning in one place, but to have the same anomaly in several different places of the globe, that's even creepier.

Yep, CA is California, so in the US we have Colorado and California with this phenomenon and then we have Italy as well with the Fortean fires - not sure if they're connected, but they sure could be.

apeguia said:
Sorry for the ignorance. Is CA California? The more separate the events, the more significant they are, I think. It is quite an anomaly to have the ground burning in one place, but to have the same anomaly in several different places of the globe, that's even creepier.

I was wondering about something related to this a few days ago. Although i don´t have any numbers related to ground temperature, the thing i noticed (in Portugal) was that, despite more means (especially helicopters and planes) to fight fires and more vigilance in the forests (the official theory to the increasing fires was/is pyromaniacs), the number of fires didn't drop or at best they didn't increase.
With all this new focus on prevention and more means to fight fires, how could the number of fires didn't drop i wondered. The only conclusion i could think was that somehow the "point of combustion" (i use that description for a lack of a better one) of the earth was somehow higher.
Could this be a reflection on the earth itself, mirroring the cosmic process of change that seems to be upon us. I mean if there is an analogy between every living creatures (Earth included) and the cosmical processes, there seems to be a clear one here, i believe.

Back
Top Bottom