Freemasons. Do they exist?

piranah

Padawan Learner
My son refuses to believe there are freemasons and that they have secret handshakes etc and I wondered if anyone knows a good site on balanced info about this group.

Simply _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Dictionnaries, and hudred books all through western libraries
I remember however a post from a member who said he was an american freemaçon. Maybe he could give an official vitrine website or something.

Surely your son has a right to believe whatever he wants?

Also, surely you know how to use a search engine?

But, for starters, try freemasonrytoday dot com

T.C.

(added) Is there a reason this question is in "Suggest an Article..."

Thomas C said:
Surely your son has a right to believe whatever he wants?
piranah, if you cant provide enough proof to him, and don't even know where the proof is, maybe you should do some more research into it and figure it out yourself before pushing it on anyone else...
I guess I don't really 'know' the situation, but that seems like it would be wise...

I was not pushing it on him I just had a conversation and he laughed and would not even consider the idea that such a society existed? I have just always accepted they do exist and yes I do know how to use a search engine but it has been my experience on the web that there is so much info and not all of it unbiased and I wondered if anyone had a site they had used or seen that seemed balanced. Wikiepedia is as good a place as any I guess.

Well FWIW I tried talking to my daughters but I realised that there is nothing you can say or do to convince them. I suppose they will come around at thier own time. My eldest is in university and she has her own views. She thinks I am quite "weird" and no amount of pointing her towards facts will change her views. She is doing psychology as one of her majors, the other being marketing. As far as she is concerned, her views are correct. I am the weirdo in the family. Actually that's the view of the entire family including my wife. I am what you can call a TV "widower". They consider me weird since I don't watch any TV programs. I've learned to let them be. They will come around when the time is right OSIT. Whether we have the time or not is another story.

I work for a construction company, whose owners are Freemasons, they make no secret about it. I guess they have their rituals, but as far as secret hand shakes, I've never noticed or seen them do it.

I'd say just find a Freemasonry lodge near you, they're all over the place. Take him to a lodge and show him yourself. Let him talk to a few freemasons even and ask what they are all about, as far as that particular freemason knows anyway.

Dick said:
but as far as secret hand shakes, I've never noticed or seen them do it.

One of the objectives of these handshakes is to not be visible to a third person.

In addition it's usually used by a freemason to "test" if another one is also a freemason and/or to show that he is one.

So they probably don't use these special handshakes since they already know eachother.

piranah said:
My son refuses to believe there are freemasons and that they have secret handshakes etc and I wondered if anyone knows a good site on balanced info about this group.
this the official web site of masonic lodge of Malta, not sure about balanced info though ;)
___http://www.sglom.eu/home.aspx

piranah said:

I know an interesting website that has sources of information regarding the freemasons, but my post was deleted because it referred to something that went against copyrights or something. Anyway, if you are interested I can email the site name.

SAO is on the money. Just about every community has a mason lodge. You will also see masons take part in town parades. Its not a secret.

Dick said:
I work for a construction company, whose owners are Freemasons, they make no secret about it. I guess they have their rituals, but as far as secret hand shakes, I've never noticed or seen them do it.

I vaguely recall something I heard many years ago in a discussion at work. It might not be true, but someone said the secret freemason handshake was simply curling your little finger in towards your palm as you shake hands. The premise being that another mason would also do the same, so you would know he was one. If it is that, then any observer wouldn’t be able to notice it.

Hope I'm not to far off subject, but back in my mormon days we did have a couple "secret" handshakes to get through the veil and into heaven. There is much, much masonic symbolism in their temples and rituals. been there done them... big time... Oops, i told a secret or few... fwiw
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
Oh yeah, smoking was not allowed either :halo:

Back
Top Bottom