Fyodor Dostoyevsky

SolarSoul

Padawan Learner
In the last couple of weeks I have enjoyed, some of Dostoevsky's works and I must say it is worthwhile as his books are an enrichment in so many dimensions. I definitely marked him as one of the master storytellers of this world.

I read Brothers Karamazov, the demons or the devils (I'm not sure how it is translated in English) and Crime and Punishment and I could not say which one of them is the best. Each is a whole gigantic world in itself.

Anyone who likes great drama, storytelling, psychology, philosophy or mysticism and religion should read him. He is cream of the crop, I don't know why I have not read him for so long.
I'm looking forward to read the Idiot, to conclude his great masterpieces.

There is a Chapter in Brothers Karamazov called the Grand Inquisitor which could stand as its own short story where the two brothers wrestle with the concept of God and religion. One is a monk, or a apprentice of a mystic and the other has gone the worldly path. It takes place in 19Th century Russia also deals with the sociopolitical upheavals of that time. The book deals extensively with the topic of the "starets" a sort of mystic monks of orthodox Russian Christianity.

It is really intersting and I chose this Chapter because I think it will speak to a lot of people in this forum. I found a link to a pretty good translation by H.B. Blavatsky (what a surprise????) here:

http://envs.ucsc.edu/internships/available-internships/new-internships/reading-legend-of-grand-inquistor.pdf

ENJOY

Re: Fjodor Dostojewsky

I enjoyed the "Brothers Karamasov" and "Crime and Punishment" as well. It's quite long ago, but I had just started to become interested in the Fourth Way, and found that the brothers each represented a center of the machine, the brother who became a monk the emotional center, the "violent" brother the moving/instinctive, and the third rationalist, the intellectual center. Everything revolves around the woman, who has quite a few psychopathic features, so the topic of psychopathology ties in as well.

Maybe I will read it again, thanks!

M.T.

An intersting interpretation. And I think that the "monk brother" represents maybe even Intuition or evolves after his masters death into something more than the emotional center or a higher emotional center depending on what is really meant by that. As he is the only one of the family and basically the only character in the book except from the master who is not mad or goes mad in some kind of way or dies. He is the only character that brings some form of stability and hope to the world as he is shown at the end with the children.

I think in terms of what you call psychopathy (which is an underlying theme in all of his works) the devils or daemons is the book that deals with it most deeply. So I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet. It is also the most humorous of them, it truly made me laugh like no other..

SolarSoul said:
And I think that the "monk brother" represents maybe even Intuition or evolves after his masters death into something more than the emotional center or a higher emotional center depending on what is really meant by that.

I forgot that, very interesting indeed, so he evolves into the higher emotional. Time to read it again!

I think in terms of what you call psychopathy (which is an underlying theme in all of his works) the devils or daemons is the book that deals with it most deeply. So I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet. It is also the most humorous of them, it truly made me laugh like no other..

Thanks! M.T.

Crime and Punishment is one of the best novels I've ever read.
The inner psychological drama of the main character is so well described that I almost felt it on my skin. Painful and hard but at the same time amazing.

Why is the title of this thread spelled Dostojewsky instead of Dostoevsky? Is it an error or is there some kind of pun intended?
Bye the way, Dostoevsky is one of my favorite authors.

I think there were several translations into English, some with the title The Devils and some The Demons, and others. I had a copy with the title The Devils. Crime and Punishment is a masterpiece - I've read it at least 3 or 4 times. If you really like Dostoevsky so much you should also definitely check out Notes from Underground.

Minas Tirith said:
SolarSoul said:
And I think that the "monk brother" represents maybe even Intuition or evolves after his masters death into something more than the emotional center or a higher emotional center depending on what is really meant by that.

I forgot that, very interesting indeed, so he evolves into the higher emotional. Time to read it again!

Yes, because in the beginning he i purely a follower of the starez and a monk. And all his devotion is purely based on the persona of the master. Then after the master dies and "his body stinks" (the miracle the common people expected is not happening) his believe is shattered and he goes through some kind of crisis and leaves the monastery. So one could even argue that the miracle was exactly that there was no miracle, because if the starez would have worked a miracle the monk brother would have remained a blind follower or even a monk. But the master told him that his place is IN THE WORLD, outside of the walls of the monastery. So through the crisis he finds his own inner guidance and a new level of awareness free from the restraints of the organized religion and blind faith.

Also I would not say that the girl was a psychopath. The only psychopath I would see is the murderer, the illegitimate son, but even he is not a pure psychopath i would say. His psychopathic tendencies are at the end an effect of the IDEAS he got from the "mental brother" (everything is allowed..), who does not even believe his own ideas, or is confused himself. The real intersting thing is that the murderer believed to do the will of the mental brother and it is left open if he (the mental bro) was not aware of it or if he just achieved to lie to himself. And this inner conflict results at the end in madness where he materializes a part of his consciousness as the devil, and blames himself or the devil for the murder.

But I really like your reading of the three brothers as the three aspects of the human instrument or even humanity itself. It reminded me of the utterance of the persecutor where he says something like the Karamazov's are wide natures, they include both the abyss into darkness and evil as well as the abyss into the sublime or divine. They are the ultimate paradox including both extremes at the same time.

I think in all his works D shows that the purely analytical, rational state of being devoid of intuition or feeling, leads to destruction, psychopathy, confusion or madness.

Thanks! M.T.

I think a pure form of a psychopath is the son of the protagonist in the devils.

You know the title is based on D´s interpretation of the parable in the bible where Jesus Christ sends the demons into the herd of swine and they, struck by madness drown themselves in a lake or river. The healed person is the future divine humanity and the pigs are the present day humans who, struck by madness and psychopathy are bound to end in self-destruction and self-annihalation.

opossum said:
Why is the title of this thread spelled Dostojewsky instead of Dostoevsky? Is it an error or is there some kind of pun intended?
Bye the way, Dostoevsky is one of my favorite authors.

That's probably just a translation issue. J is pronounced 'y', and 'w' = 'v' in lots of languages.

Reading Dostoevsky was an important part of my teenage years. Just as much as the stories themselves, and wrestling with what it meant to live in a corrupting world, reading about his harrowing experiences inspired a great desire in me to lead as virtuous a life as possible.

The case was discussed for four months by an investigative commission headed by the Tsar, with Adjutant General Ivan Nabokov, senator Count Pavel Gagarin, Count Vasili Dolgorukov, General Yakov Rostovtsev and General Leonty Dubelt, head of the secret police. They sentenced the members of the circle to death by firing squad, and the prisoners were taken to Semyonov Place in St Petersburg on 23 December 1849 where they were split into three-man groups. Dostoyevsky was the third in the second row; next to him stood Pleshcheyev and Durov. The execution was stayed when a cart delivered a letter from the Tsar commuting the sentence.

Dostoyevsky served four years of exile with hard labour at a katorga prison camp in Omsk, Siberia, followed by a term of compulsory military service. After a fourteen-day sleigh ride, the prisoners reached Tobolsk, a prisoner way station. Despite the circumstances, Dostoyevsky consoled the other prisoners, such as the Petrashevist Ivan Yastrzhembsky, who was surprised by Dostoyevsky's kindness and eventually abandoned his decision to commit suicide. In Tobolsk, the members received food and clothes from the Decembrist women, as well as several copies of the New Testament with a ten-ruble banknote inside each copy. Eleven days later, Dostoyevsky reached Omsk. Together with just one other member of the Petrashevsky Circle, the poet Sergei Durov. Dostoyevsky described his barracks:

In summer, intolerable closeness; in winter, unendurable cold. All the floors were rotten. Filth on the floors an inch thick; one could slip and fall ... We were packed like herrings in a barrel ... There was no room to turn around. From dusk to dawn it was impossible not to behave like pigs ... Fleas, lice, and black beetles by the bushel ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyodor_Dostoyevsky

And more on the experience of the mock execution:

There the sentence of death was read to all of us, we were told to kiss the cross, our swords were broken over our heads, and our last toilet was made. Then three were tied to the pillar for execution. I was the sixth. Three at a time were called out; consequently, I was in the second batch and no more than a minute was left me to live.

And then from his description in The Idiot:

…But better if I tell you of another man I met last year…this man was led out along with others on to a scaffold and had his sentence of death by shooting read out to him, for political offenses…he was dying at 27, healthy and strong…he says that nothing was more terrible at that moment than the nagging thought: “What if I didn’t have to die!…I would turn every minute into an age, nothing would be wasted, every minute would be accounted for…
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/02/execution-fyodor-dostoevsky/

Experiences of intense suffering like these, coupled with being told Homeric epics and other ancient tales in his upbringing, seemed to foster that 'unspeakable' struggle within him:

"Beauty will save the world," wrote Dostoevsky in The Idiot. These hallowed lines have inspired both hope for the future and appreciation of beauty in many. No doubt they are the emanation of a sensitive and profound soul. Fyodor Mikhailovich was greatly influenced by Russian Christianity– especially its monastic institutions–particularly towards the end of his life. It is well known that Orthodox Church figures often enkindled his literary imagination. The Russian monks of Optina Monastery, or Optina Pustyn in Russian, frequently counseled Dostoevsky in his own personal religious journey. The fathers of this hermitage-cenobium complex, the most famous of its day in the Russian Orthodox world, were guided by an important movement within their milieu that began a century prior: the rediscovery of their own spiritual tradition through the publishing of an anthology of penetrating monastic texts, the Philokalia.

http://www.academia.edu/8378289/The_Morally-Transformative_Power_of_Beauty_in_the_Writings_of_the_Philokalia

Argo said:
The inner psychological drama of the main character is so well described that I almost felt it on my skin. Painful and hard but at the same time amazing.

I agree wholeheartedly. I am now reading Crime and Punishment and it is very painful and very gripping. It feels as if I am going through these horrible experiences myself! I read this book when I was in college, but didn't have an inkling of what it was about back then and I can't remember my teacher saying anything useful about this novel (because he couldn't most likely).

Thank you for starting this thread SolarSoul. :)

Mariama said:
Argo said:

I agree wholeheartedly. I am now reading Crime and Punishment and it is very painful and very gripping. It feels as if I am going through these horrible experiences myself! I read this book when I was in college, but didn't have an inkling of what it was about back then and I can't remember my teacher saying anything useful about this novel (because he couldn't most likely).

Thank you for starting this thread SolarSoul. :)

Funny enough I received Crime and Punishment today, and I am very looking forward to read and and share my observations.

I thought Stanton E. Samenow's take on Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment was really interesting, especially in light of the thread here on the forum about his books Inside the Criminal Mind and The Myth of the 'Out of Character' Crime and the traits we all share with criminals. So, we should probably also "heed Dostoevsky's warning about the scope of the task of change".
BTW, Raskolnikov is the main character of CaP and a murderer.

A statement by Raskolnikov at the conclusion of Fyodor Dostoevsky’s “Crime and Punishmentdramatically illustrates features of the criminal mind. The infallible criminal looks at himself and sees his main deficiency as his “stupidity” for being caught. Even in jail, Raskolnikov, the murderer, does not consider himself a “criminal” at all. He looks at his fellow inmates as though they are of “a different species….What surprised him most was the terrible impossible gulf that lay between him and all the rest.” He had “so hopelessly, stupidly come to grief through some decree of blind faith.”
[...]
Those who work in the area of criminal rehabilitation and related fields should heed Dostoevsky’s warning about the scope of the task of change. Dostoevsky speaks of “the beginning of a new story – the story of the gradual renewal of man…his passing from one world into another, of his initiation into a new unknown life.” And this is precisely what change (“habilitation”) entails – destroying a major part of oneself (cognitively speaking) as a criminal tentatively and slowly contemplates entry into an “entire new unknown life.”

Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov from "Crime and Punishment"

According to Jordan Peterson Dostoevsky had epilepsy. In the following video he says about the writer that he "would have a feeling that he was going to have an epileptic seizure. The feeling for him was that for him the world was opening up and he was becoming more and more and more enlightened. He was just on the verge of grasping the essence of existence and then he would have a seizure. That much knowledge was just too much for him to bear."

So, maybe Dostoevsky is the epitome of non-materialism? (I also post this in light of the Michael Behe's Darwin's Black Box thread.)

Dostoevsky is in the news again and this time in connection with Putin and the Pope:
Russian President Vladimir Putin shakes hands with Pope Francis during their meeting at the Vatican. Archbishop Georg Ganswein is second left. Putin is on one-day official visit to Italy

Putin Reveals What Spiritual Insight Pope Francis Offered Him at the Vatican
© Sputnik / Alexei Druzhinin
EUROPE
14:14 05.07.2019Get short URL
The Russian president also mentioned what kind of books the pope always has lying on his desk, though he did not specify the books’ titles.

While attending a dinner with representatives of the Russian-Italian Civil Society Dialogue Forum, hosted by the Italian government at Villa Madama, Russian President Vladimir Putin has shed the light on some of the things he discussed with Pope Francis at their recent meeting at the Vatican, pointing out that the pontiff gave his approval to disclose this portion of their conversation.
The president revealed that the pope always has books by Leo Tolstoy and Fyodor Dostoevsky lying on his desk, though he did not specify the books’ titles, and that the pontiff argued that "without Dostoevsky’s books, without understanding the depth of his philosophy, one cannot be a true priest".
"You know, that speaks volumes. That speaks about our common spiritual roots", Putin remarked.
Russian President Vladimir Putin visited Italy on 4 July, holding talks with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and President Sergio Mattarella, as well as meeting with Pope Francis at the Vatican.

----

I have just read a couple of Dostoevsky's books, Crime and Punishment and The Idiot and have started on The Brothers Karamazov. They are really amazing books, so I am not surprised to hear that the Pope speaks highly of Dostoevsky, though Dostoevsky is highly critical of the Catholic Church.

Below are some excerpts from the Book, The Idiot where Dostoevsky through the character, Prince Myshkin speaks about the Catholic church. All excerpts are from the pdf version of the book from Planet pdf.:

‘Pavlicheff was a man of bright intellect and a good
Christian, a sincere Christian,’ said the prince, suddenly.
‘How could he possibly embrace a faith which is
unchristian? Roman Catholicism is, so to speak, simply the
same thing as unchristianity,
’ he added with flashing eyes,
which seemed to take in everybody in the room.
‘Come, that’s a little TOO strong, isn’t it?’ murmured
the old man, glancing at General Epanchin in surprise.
‘How do you make out that the Roman Catholic
religion is UNCHRISTIAN? What is it, then?’ asked Ivan
Petrovitch, turning to the prince.
‘It is not a Christian religion, in the first place,’ said the
latter, in extreme agitation, quite out of proportion to the
necessity of the moment. ‘And in the second place,
Roman Catholicism is, in my opinion, worse than
Atheism itself. Yes— that is my opinion. Atheism only
preaches a negation, but Romanism goes further; it
preaches a disfigured, distorted Christ—it preaches Anti
1007 of 1149
Christ—I assure you, I swear it! This is my own personal
conviction, and it has long distressed me. The Roman
Catholic believes that the Church on earth cannot stand
without universal temporal Power. He cries ‘non
possumus!’ In my opinion the Roman Catholic religion is
not a faith at all, but simply a continuation of the Roman
Empire, and everything is subordinated to this idea—
beginning with faith. The Pope has seized territories and
an earthly throne, and has held them with the sword
. And
so the thing has gone on, only that to the sword they have
added lying, intrigue, deceit, fanaticism, superstition,
swindling;—they have played fast and loose with the most
sacred and sincere feelings of men;
—they have exchanged
everything—everything for money, for base earthly
POWER! And is this not the teaching of Anti-Christ?
How could the upshot of all this be other than Atheism?
Atheism is the child of Roman Catholicism—it proceeded
from these Romans themselves, though perhaps they
would not believe it. It grew and fattened on hatred of its
parents; it is the progeny of their lies and spiritual
feebleness. Atheism! In our country it is only among the
upper classes that you find unbelievers; men who have lost
the root or spirit of their faith; but abroad whole masses of
the people are beginning to profess unbelief
—at first

1008 of 1149
because of the darkness and lies by which they were
surrounded; but now out of fanaticism, out of loathing for
the Church and Christianity!’(I think he is above speaking about the West)
The prince paused to get breath. He had spoken with
extraordinary rapidity, and was very pale.
All present interchanged glances, but at last the old
dignitary burst out laughing frankly. Prince N. took out
his eye-glass to have a good look at the speaker. The
German poet came out of his corner and crept nearer to
the table, with a spiteful smile.
‘You exaggerate the matter very much,’ said Ivan
Petrovitch, with rather a bored air. ‘There are, in the
foreign Churches, many representatives of their faith who
are worthy of respect and esteem.’
‘Oh, but I did not speak of individual representatives. I
was merely talking about Roman Catholicism, and its
essence
—of Rome itself. A Church can never entirely
disappear; I never hinted at that!’
‘Agreed that all this may be true; but we need not
discuss a subject which belongs to the domain of
theology.’
‘Oh, no; oh, no! Not to theology alone, I assure you!
Why, Socialism is the progeny of Romanism and of the
Romanistic spirit. It and its brother Atheism proceed from

1009 of 1149
Despair in opposition to Catholicism. It seeks to replace in
itself the moral power of religion, in order to appease the
spiritual thirst of parched humanity and save it; not by
Christ, but by force.
‘Don’t dare to believe in God, don’t
dare to possess any individuality, any property! Fraternite
ou la Mort; two million heads. ‘By their works ye shall
know them’
—we are told. And we must not suppose that
all this is harmless and without danger to ourselves
. Oh,
no; we must resist, and quickly, quickly! We must let out
Christ shine forth upon the Western nations, our Christ
whom we have preserved intact, and whom they have
never known. Not as slaves, allowing ourselves to be
caught by the hooks of the Jesuits, but carrying our
Russian civilization to THEM, we must stand before
them, not letting it be said among us that their preaching
is ‘skilful,’ as someone expressed it just now.’
‘But excuse me, excuse me;’ cried Ivan Petrovitch
considerably disturbed, and looking around uneasily.
‘Your ideas are, of course, most praiseworthy, and in the
highest degree patriotic; but you exaggerate the matter
terribly. It would be better if we dropped the subject.’
‘No, sir, I do not exaggerate, I understate the matter, if
anything, undoubtedly understate it; simply because I
cannot express myself as I should like, but—‘

[...]
Oh, it is not from vanity alone, it is not from
feelings of vanity that Russians become Atheists and
Jesuits! But from spiritual thirst, from anguish of longing
for higher things, for dry firm land, for foothold on a
fatherland which they never believed in because they
never knew it
. It is easier for a Russian to become an
Atheist, than for any other nationality in the world. And
not only does a Russian ‘become an Atheist,’ but he
actually BELIEVES IN Atheism, just as though he had
found a new faith, not perceiving that he has pinned his

1012 of 1149
faith to a negation. Such is our anguish of thirst! ‘Whoso
has no country has no God.’ That is not my own
expression; it is the expression of a merchant, one of the
Old Believers, whom I once met while travelling. He did
not say exactly these words. I think his expression was:
‘‘Whoso forsakes his country forsakes his God.’
‘But let these thirsty Russian souls find, like Columbus’
discoverers, a new world; let them find the Russian world,
let them search and discover all the gold and treasure that
lies hid in the bosom of their own land! Show them the
restitution of lost humanity, in the future, by Russian
thought alone, and by means of the God and of the Christ
of our Russian faith, and you will see how mighty and just
and wise and good a giant will rise up before the eyes of
the astonished and frightened world; astonished because
they expect nothing but the sword from us, because they
think they will get nothing out of us but barbarism.
This
has been the case up to now, and the longer matters go on
as they are now proceeding, the more clear will be the
truth of what I say; ...

---
This last highlighted paragraph is quite prophetic as it is what we are seeing now, 150 years after Dostoevsky wrote this book. Under Putin a mighty, wise, good and just giant is rising and the world only expected barbarism from Russia.

Interestingly, the Pope gave Putin a medal with the inscription "Guardian Angel of the World".

Putin in his interview to the Financial Times 10 days ago was however conciliatory of the Catholic Church and like Jordan Peterson showed concern of the dangers of destroying something that despite faults upholds order and a cultural identity. Here is what he said:

VP: It should play its current role. It [religion] cannot be pushed out of this cultural space. We should not abuse anything.

Russia is an Orthodox Christian nation, and there have always been problems between Orthodox Christianity and the Catholic world. This is exactly why I will now say a few words about Catholics. Are there any problems there? Yes, there are, but they cannot be over-exaggerated and used for destroying the Roman Catholic Church itself. This is what cannot be done.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that these liberal circles are beginning to use certain elements and problems of the Catholic Church as a tool for destroying the Church itself. This is what I consider to be incorrect and dangerous.

All right, have we forgotten that all of us live in a world based on biblical values? Even atheists and everyone else live in this world. We do not have to think about this every day, attend church and pray, thereby showing that we are devout Christians or Muslims or Jews. However, deep inside, there must be some fundamental human rules and moral values. In this sense, traditional values are more stable and more important for millions of people than this liberal idea, which, in my opinion, is really ceasing to exist.

Dostoevsky does not speak about Lutheranism, but instead mentions that atheism and socialism was a reaction to this abuse by the Catholic church. Luc has in this thread given a very good break down of Lutheranism and how it split the Christian church and brought materialism, atheism and a disconnect from a spiritual connection.

Back
Top Bottom