gallbladder removal

Cleo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
My nephew who is 23 had his gallbladder removed about three weeks ago. I believe his drinking of soda (he developed an addiction to soda pop over the years) and poor diet took a toll on the lining and PH of his stomach. About three years ago he started to get pretty severe acid reflux and whenever he ate and even drank he would get nauseous and have abdominal pain. Eventually he tried pine nut oil which helped, and he could eat and drink again without pain.

About a month and a half ago now, the condition he had before returned, and I believe it was especially rapid this time due to grief-we received news about the passing of my brother around this time. He did try pine nut oil again but it didn't seem to help as well. Eventually my sister took him to the ER as he was at the point again where drinking water was even causing nausea and abdominal pain, and he had gone several days without food. He received iv fluids at the hospital. I need to mention as well, he has been taking the anti-psychotic risperidone for a few years.

I have been reading in Primal Body, Primal Mind and the author, Nora Gedgaudas recommends taking bile salts with every fat-containing meal. If anyone has been through something similar and knows what precautionary measures to take after the gallbladder is removed or has any advice/input, it is greatly appreciated. My nephew has started to eliminate gluten and started to cut back on sugar, and no longer drinks soda. He still occasionally has dairy. He has now been able to eat and drink without pain but says his stomach feels a little strange sometimes. He seems to be receptive and open to information about diet, and about modifying his diet.

Cleo said:
I have been reading in Primal Body, Primal Mind and the author, Nora Gedgaudas recommends taking bile salts with every fat-containing meal. If anyone has been through something similar and knows what precautionary measures to take after the gallbladder is removed or has any advice/input, it is greatly appreciated. My nephew has started to eliminate gluten and started to cut back on sugar, and no longer drinks soda. He still occasionally has dairy. He has now been able to eat and drink without pain but says his stomach feels a little strange sometimes. He seems to be receptive and open to information about diet, and about modifying his diet.

It would probably be very good if he can read NG's PBPM. If he decides in favor of going high fat/low carb, then he will probably need an ox bile/lipase enzyme blend to deal with the fats and betaine HCl to get the stomach acid performance back up to snuff. Elimination of gluten, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, dairy, legumes, and all artificial sweeteners (except stevia) will probably help very much.

LQB, thanks for the information. He is not much of a reader (of books anyway) but I will ask him if he thinks he'd be interested in reading the book and also the book, Grain Brain. He seems to like talking about diet and about how he is doing health wise. If he seems interested, I may share with him the information that I find out, right now from the book Grain Brain as that is the one I've been meaning to finish.

Since he hasn't adopted a high fat/low carb diet, but eats meat about once a day, is it best then to not take the ox bile/lipase enzyme until he adopts the diet?

Cleo said:
Since he hasn't adopted a high fat/low carb diet, but eats meat about once a day, is it best then to not take the ox bile/lipase enzyme until he adopts the diet?

Your father only needs to take the digestive supplements if he experiences symptoms of indigestion (acid reflux, indigestion) or signs of malabsorption (flatulence, diarrhoea).

As far as I know before he really starts a low carb high fat diet, he at least should heal his guts so that the inflamation comes down, by cutting out all gluten, milk and sugars.

It sounds to me like that might need some time in this case, maybe up to two years, before his guts are healed and he can really get into a low carb high fat diet.

Appreciate the information, i'll pass it on to my nephew. Been reading up a bit online about the consequences of having the gall bladder removed. Also reflecting back on when it got to the point where he needed surgery and whether anything else could have been done. Then, I remember it was that inflamed or diseased since it got to the point where he wasn't even able to drink water without pain.

I had my gallbladder removed 14 years ago along with a gastric bypass, which when done, even a healthy gallbladder would be removed as standard procedure.
My life was never the same after that. I did lose 75 lbs, but that was because I was put on a very low carbohydrate, high protein diet which was required for the procedure. It was not the bypass that lost my weight, but the high fat diet! The bypass did prevent me from eating normally though pain and aversion, forcing one to eat less. Without a gallbladder, I would no longer have the digestion I was use to. I no longer have acid re-flux nor any constipation.
I have learned to cope though. Since then, I still can eat meat until full (about 1 lb steaks). If it were not for carbs, I would have reached my desired weight; I consider myself a carb addict.

Other than not having normal BM's he should still be OK, the main issue is that the body no longer stores bile for needed use and dumps it out unregulated which is the reason of not having normal digestion. My main issue with my gallbladder removal was not its removal, but the mutilation of my stomach in which I now digest in the small intestine; so one can imagine what that does. I have no pain, or other issues, and I know others whom had their gallbladders removed and are doing very well. Eating well always does help, but seek good advice by learning and applying. Don't get stuck on fads.

I am sure if your nephew watch his eating and learns to eat as his body needs, he will have no problems at all.

Good luck and I wish the best for him.

KingTiger,

Good to hear that you don't have any pain after the removal of your gallbladder and thanks for sharing what you've been through. He tried to eat a little bit of a hot dog (organic, gluten free kind) and it didn't sit well with his stomach the other day. After only a few bites, he had to stop eating it. Later he tried a good quality hamburger meat and it sat well. So, slowly he seems to be finding out what works for him. He read up about acid reflux on his phone and found out chamomile tea soothes inflammation so he tried drinking chamomile tea today.

Carbs is a tricky one for me too. I think that and caffeine are my main challenges.

My nephew hasn't been eating again for about two weeks now, my sister said closer to three. Didn't realize it had possibly been that long since he ate. He is drinking water but has been vomiting a little. His mother, my sister gave me a list of his recent blood test results to help her find out more about what they might mean. It shows abnormal levels in Anion Gap (17 when healthy range is between 3-12) Glucose (131 when average is 70-99 mg/dL). He also tested abnormal or high in Total Bilirubin and MPV (mean platelet volume).

From what the results show, it looks like he has diabetes (he has a level of 131 and from what I read, a fasting blood glucose level above 126 mg/dl means diabetes). What I read up on high anion gap is that it can signify metabolic acidosis and a high MPV can be caused by diabetes.

I believe he will go into get an endoscopy next week but I'm not sure. My sister mentioned the doctors don't seem to be taking the fact that he hasn't been eating very seriously which I don't understand but I also don't have all the details. I am thinking at this point he needs to go in for fluids again very soon before he gets weaker. I'm concerned and thought I would post about this just in case someone may have information about what else his levels could mean and how serious this might be.

Cleo said:
My nephew hasn't been eating again for about two weeks now, my sister said closer to three. Didn't realize it had possibly been that long since he ate. He is drinking water but has been vomiting a little. His mother, my sister gave me a list of his recent blood test results to help her find out more about what they might mean. It shows abnormal levels in Anion Gap (17 when healthy range is between 3-12) Glucose (131 when average is 70-99 mg/dL). He also tested abnormal or high in Total Bilirubin and MPV (mean platelet volume).

From what the results show, it looks like he has diabetes (he has a level of 131 and from what I read, a fasting blood glucose level above 126 mg/dl means diabetes). What I read up on high anion gap is that it can signify metabolic acidosis and a high MPV can be caused by diabetes.

I believe he will go into get an endoscopy next week but I'm not sure. My sister mentioned the doctors don't seem to be taking the fact that he hasn't been eating very seriously which I don't understand but I also don't have all the details. I am thinking at this point he needs to go in for fluids again very soon before he gets weaker. I'm concerned and thought I would post about this just in case someone may have information about what else his levels could mean and how serious this might be.

Sorry to hear that your nephew hasn't improved yet. The reason that he is not eating is an indicator that something is not quite right yet.

Anion gap is a measure to distinguish certain forms of metabolic acidosis (as you pointed out). Without measuring the pH (amount of acidity in the blood) the anion gap is pretty useless.

I am more concerned about his blood sugar and the high bilirubin. Has his skin got a yellow hue, or the sclera (the white glassy bit) of his eyes? I think that he should definitely be further investigated - liver enzymes would be a good first step, to rule out a biliary blockage. The high blood sugar might be a sign that the pancreas is under stress - possibly again due to a blockage of the bile duct.

Normally during a cholecystectomy the surgeon inserts a little tube into the common bile duct and injects radio-opaque dye to make sure that there is no stone in there. If that hasn't been done (could be for technical reasons) I think he probably should have some imaging done. Another possibility is that sometimes stones higher up (towards or in the liver) can be missed and can cause trouble later on.

The way bile duct blockages are removed is by ERCP - endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography - a fancy name for a gastroscopy where the proceduralist inserts a little tube into the common bile duct and images that with some radio-opaque dye again, but this time from the other side. If there is a stone in the bile duct he will cut the sphincter muscle at the end of the bile duct to allow for passage of these stones thus relieving the blockage.

Hope that helps.

Hi nicklebleu,

Recently my close cousins had removed their gallbladders.
From time to time I notice in my stools that they are too white. So I think not enough bile was injected during digestion.
I am feeling also from time to time some sensation in my upper right abdomen just close to the stomach and just underneath the ribs.

I was wondering if there is a stone is it possible to remove it without surgery. For example ultrasonic waves - I heard that this is done with kidneys stones.
I have noticed also some articles about dissolving gallbladder stones by citron juice and/or apple cider vinegar.

When something is going on in my gallbladder what kind of actions would be the best for the beginning:
1. ultrasonography of abdomen?
2. checking enzymes? ... ?
3. other?

What could be the reason for having stones in the gallbladder?

Mikel said:
Hi nicklebleu,

Recently my close cousins had removed their gallbladders.
From time to time I notice in my stools that they are too white. So I think not enough bile was injected during digestion.
I am feeling also from time to time some sensation in my upper right abdomen just close to the stomach and just underneath the ribs.

I was wondering if there is a stone is it possible to remove it without surgery. For example ultrasonic waves - I heard that this is done with kidneys stones.
I have noticed also some articles about dissolving gallbladder stones by citron juice and/or apple cider vinegar.

When something is going on in my gallbladder what kind of actions would be the best for the beginning:
1. ultrasonography of abdomen?
2. checking enzymes? ... ?
3. other?

What could be the reason for having stones in the gallbladder?

If the condition is not to far advanced I would first look into the diet.

nicklebleu said:
Cleo said:
[...]I believe he will go into get an endoscopy next week but I'm not sure. My sister mentioned the doctors don't seem to be taking the fact that he hasn't been eating very seriously which I don't understand but I also don't have all the details. I am thinking at this point he needs to go in for fluids again very soon before he gets weaker. I'm concerned and thought I would post about this just in case someone may have information about what else his levels could mean and how serious this might be.

[...]The way bile duct blockages are removed is by ERCP - endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography - a fancy name for a gastroscopy where the proceduralist inserts a little tube into the common bile duct and images that with some radio-opaque dye again, but this time from the other side. If there is a stone in the bile duct he will cut the sphincter muscle at the end of the bile duct to allow for passage of these stones thus relieving the blockage.

Hope that helps.

Has he tried vitamin C?

If your nephew is not feeling good and there are signs of concerns, then it is better to seek medical attention (i.e. go to the ER or seek a second opinion). There are urgent indications of endoscopy that shouldn't wait.

Hope he recovers soon without suffering unnecessarily :flowers:

Gaby said:
If your nephew is not feeling good and there are signs of concerns, then it is better to seek medical attention (i.e. go to the ER or seek a second opinion). There are urgent indications of endoscopy that shouldn't wait.

I perfectly agree with Gaby - this is not something that can be diagnosed remotely.

nicklebleu said:
I am more concerned about his blood sugar and the high bilirubin. Has his skin got a yellow hue, or the sclera (the white glassy bit) of his eyes? I think that he should definitely be further investigated - liver enzymes would be a good first step, to rule out a biliary blockage. The high blood sugar might be a sign that the pancreas is under stress - possibly again due to a blockage of the bile duct.

nicklebleu, The total Bilirubin level that I didn't list before is 1.5 mg/dL and the MPV level is 14, normal range listed for MPV on his paperwork is 8.5-12.4 fL. I saw him a little while ago and he didn't seem to have a yellow hue to his skin or eyes, although he does look pale. My sister said he's been vomiting again today. She tried to get ahold of his doctor but hadn't been able to, so she took him to the ER not too long ago. I plan to meet them there. Thanks for the information and for your help. I'll pass on some of the information to my sister.

Gaby said:
Has he tried vitamin C?

Gaby, I'm not sure if he has tried vitamin C but I'll check. Reminds me that I have vitamin C powder which he could use. I plan to find a good digestive enzyme for him to eventually take as well.

nicklebleu said:
Gaby said:

I perfectly agree with Gaby - this is not something that can be diagnosed remotely.

Thanks for the heads up about him seeing the doctor sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom