Ginkgo Biloba

Masamune

Jedi Council Member
Recently I have been thinking about taking ginkgo biloba again for support for my brain functioning. I was given it before by a chinese herbalist and it seemed to improve my mental functioning and clarity but I have not taken it recently. I have a serious neurological condition called chiari malformation affecting my brain so I would like to improve my situation. I spoke with my chiropractor about it and he said he has not used it recently with his patients. He said that he saw that it pushed their systems too hard and started to blow out their adrenals. Also he said that he has not been able to find high quality ginkgo to use with his patients but he said that if I wanted to try it out I could bring some in and he could muscle test me for it.

So I would like to know if anyone can recommend a high quality form of ginkgo biloba that I could take to my doctor to be tested for. Also I am wondering what other people's experience has been with this herb. Has it helped you or someone you know?

Hi Masamune,

My experince with ginkgo biloba goes some years back when I was working in an old people´s home.Many of the elders
took this extract in order to get better brain irrigation.

It is known that the flavonoides increase the central and peripheric irrigation in the organic tissues.In addition, their non-
agglutinative funtion prevents the platelets agglutination and so, the apopletic ictus and cardiac crisis.

Furthermore, the flavonoides neutralize the free radicals which play a mayor role in the destruccion of the condition
in many tissues. Not only that but also it is beneficial for the inmunne system and manifestations such as, asthma,urticaria
etc. Even depression beneffits from it.

It is remarkable the fact that after Hiroshima´s bombing, The ginkgo biloba tree remained standing in the epicentre. So that
it is regarded as hope bearer.

I hope you found something useful.

Ginkgo Biloba.. Good for the Brain & Radiation Protection

Finally found this link once again... as it turns out it was from Natural News.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/note.php?note_id=102724249945&id=35590531315&ref=mf

Quote:

"NaturalNews.com: Antioxidant in Ginkgo may protect cells from radiation damage

(NaturalNews) According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), the Ginkgo biloba (G. biloba) is one of the oldest types of trees in the world. Ginkgo herbal treatments have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years to treat a host of ills including asthma, bronchitis, fatigue, and tinnitus (ringing or roaring sounds in the ears). Now 21st century scientists may have discovered yet another Ginkgo-based therapy.

According to a study just published in the International Journal of Low Radiation, antioxidant extracts of the leaves of the G. biloba tree may protect cells in the human body from radiation damage. The discovery could offer a way to protect cancer patients from side effects produced by radiotherapy. G. biloba might also offer protection from medical tests that involve radiation, such as X-rays.

Chang-Mo Kang of the Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences in Taegu and colleagues have been investigating well-known herbal remedies to see what actual medicinal effects they may have. They specifically decided to study extracts made from G. biloba leaves because these substances are known to contain several antioxidant compounds, called ginkgolides and bilobalides, that are thought to protect cells in the body from damage caused by free radicals and other reactive oxidizing species. Free radicals are generated by the body's normal metabolism and are also produced in excess as a result of certain diseases and from exposure to pollution or radiation. If left unchecked, they can damage proteins and DNA and even kill cells.

Dr. Kang and his research team collected human white blood cells, known as lymphocytes, from healthy volunteers between the ages of 18 and 50. Then they treated half of these cells in the lab with a G. biloba extract. The other half of the cells were used as a control group and exposed to only a salt solution. Next, both sets of white blood cells were treated with gamma radiation from radioactive cesium.

The scientists used a light microscope to measure how many lymphocytes were undergoing programmed cell death, known as apoptosis, caused by the exposure to radiation. They found a significant increase in apoptosis in the untreated cells but the lymphocytes treated with G. biloba extract tended to be protected from the radiation. In all, about a third of the untreated cells underwent apoptosis compared with only one in twenty of the Ginkgo treated cells.

In a statement to the media, the researchers noted that other studies using laboratory mice have also demonstrated a similar protective effect when Ginkgo was used to shield the animals against radiation poisoning. The results of the latest research suggest that the G. biloba extracts actually neutralize the free radicals and oxidizing agents produced in the cells by radiation -- and that appears to prevent the cells from undergoing apoptosis.

As NaturalNews reported recently, other research has found evidence Ginkgo biloba extract may reduce brain damage after a stroke by about 50 percent (http://www.naturalnews.com/025981.html) and it may also be a natural memory booster (http://www.naturalnews.com/025722_disease_dementia_health.html). NCCAM is currently funding numerous studies on Ginkgo for asthma, symptoms of multiple sclerosis, vascular function (intermittent claudication), cognitive decline, sexual dysfunction due to antidepressants, and insulin resistance.

Reference: "Protective effect of Ginkgo biloba against radiation-induced cellular damage in human peripheral lymphocytes and murine spleen cells", International Journal of Low Radiation, 2009, 6, 209-218.

For more information:http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ind/ijlr/2009/00000006/00000003/art00004http://nccam.nih.gov/health/ginkgo/" End Quote.

What I am also curious about is something I heard discussed on a radio show recently, being that Natural News is funded by the Chinese government. I vaguely recalled that may have come up somewhere before. Not that I have a problem with "ancient Chinese wisdom"... in fact have always held this in high regard. This would explain a connection to my tree! ;-)

This information regarding protection from radiation keeps coming to mind, given all that we might face in the not too distant future. Who knows, it may counter damage from things like full body scanners. I really would like to visit my relatives in Germany again, but with my recent vow to never pass through one of those things has put a damper on travel plans.

Just thought I would share the info in case others thought it may have value. Sorry I still haven't figured out how to put this stuff in little boxes.... :-[

Thanks everyone for the interesting info. :)

Soon after I wrote my previous post my chiropractor gave me a supplement that contained ginkgo and addressed some issues I was concerned with. I took it for a few months. It is called NeurO2 by Apex Energetics - http://www.ovitaminpro.com/neuro2.html

NeurO2 is formulated to provide a most fundamental need of the brain and that is oxygen. Neurons need oxygen above all else and if circulation to the brain is less than ideal, neurons will die in massive numbers. By the time you notice that there is a problem, it is severe and getting worse. NeurO2 is a carefully selected blend of products that have been shown to induce a favorable increase in blood supply to the brain. Recommended use is 1-3 capsules 3x per day or as directed by your health care professional.

NeurO2 Facts: 1 vegetarian capsule contains: Riboflavin 20 mg, Magnesium (citrate) 40 mg, Feverfew extract (8% parthenolide) 300 mg, Bucher's broom extract (10% saponins) 200mg, Ginkgo Biloba extract (24% Ginkgoglavonglycosides & 6% Terpene Lactones) 100 mg, Cayenne (Capsaicin) 40 mg, Vinpocetine 10 mg. Other ingredients: Vegetable cellulose (vegetarian capsule), silicon dioxide.

Gingko biloba

http://www.sott.net/article/316453-The-many-proven-healing-powers-of-Gingko-Biloba

After reading this article on sott i decided to purchase a tincture of this product to see if it can help my tinnitus. I've never heard of this Gingko before and I have been struggling personally since I stared the iodine that's when my tinnitus in my left ear started. I had to stop taking the iodine as I was struggling to cope with the effects it had on me so taking a break made sense. To make matters worse I picked up a 24 hour sickness bug and then got shingles about a week later which I'm now fully recovered from.

Anyway I'm now supplementing tumuric with black pepper, magnesium, vitaman c and d and just started the Gingko at 15 drops three times daily. 3 days in on this new product seems to be having a positive effect. It's early days to say anything about the tinnitus but the effect on my mind and thinking has been noticeable. I seem to have a new found energy and a clarity of thought that has been missing of late. I will monitor the effects and report back here the tinnitus is more prominent when I have worked a 12 to 13 hour day and won't be doing that again until Thursday.

thanks for listening

Thebull said:
http://www.sott.net/article/316453-The-many-proven-healing-powers-of-Gingko-Biloba

After reading this article on sott i decided to purchase a tincture of this product to see if it can help my tinnitus. I've never heard of this Gingko before and I have been struggling personally since I stared the iodine that's when my tinnitus in my left ear started. I had to stop taking the iodine as I was struggling to cope with the effects it had on me so taking a break made sense. To make matters worse I picked up a 24 hour sickness bug and then got shingles about a week later which I'm now fully recovered from.

Anyway I'm now supplementing tumuric with black pepper, magnesium, vitaman c and d and just started the Gingko at 15 drops three times daily. 3 days in on this new product seems to be having a positive effect. It's early days to say anything about the tinnitus but the effect on my mind and thinking has been noticeable. I seem to have a new found energy and a clarity of thought that has been missing of late. I will monitor the effects and report back here the tinnitus is more prominent when I have worked a 12 to 13 hour day and won't be doing that again until Thursday.

thanks for listening

I've been taking Gingko for two weeks now, along with the iodine and the supplements, and I've noticed that the white patches that I have in my hand (vitiligo diagnosis since december 2015) didn't become larger for some time now. While it's early to expect repigmentation, at least I'm positive I don't have to worry about its progress anymore. While on the subject of tinnitus, my girlfriend didn't have much improvement with Gingko, but I think it was because we didn't bought from a good source. May I ask you which brand and from where you got your tincture, Thebull?

latulipenoire said:
Thebull said:

thanks for listening

I've been taking Gingko for two weeks now, along with the iodine and the supplements, and I've noticed that the white patches that I have in my hand (vitiligo diagnosis since december 2015) didn't become larger for some time now. While it's early to expect repigmentation, at least I'm positive I don't have to worry about its progress anymore. While on the subject of tinnitus, my girlfriend didn't have much improvement with Gingko, but I think it was because we didn't bought from a good source. May I ask you which brand and from where you got your tincture, Thebull?
From Amazon uk latulpenoire please see below.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vogel-Ginkgo-Biloba-Tincture-100ml/dp/B00365K1HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461048160&sr=8-1&keywords=a+vogel+ginkgo+biloba

I did search for other threads but must of made a typo and nothing came up so thanks for moving this thread.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vogel-Ginkgo-Biloba-Tincture-100ml/dp/B00365K1HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461048160&sr=8-1&keywords=a+vogel+ginkgo+biloba

I did search for other threads but must of made a typo and nothing came up so thanks for moving this thread.

Thank you Thebull. Unfortunately they can't deliver it to my country but I found a similar product here (more concentrated?):

http://www.vitacost.com/natures-answer-ginkgo-500-mg-2-fl-oz

I'm taking Gingko in capsules for now (http://www.vitacost.com/natures-way-ginkgo-standardized). Has anyone recommended the tincture for you and do you think it's better than capsules?

latulipenoire said:

Thank you Thebull. Unfortunately they can't deliver it to my country but I found a similar product here (more concentrated?):

http://www.vitacost.com/natures-answer-ginkgo-500-mg-2-fl-oz

I'm taking Gingko in capsules for now (http://www.vitacost.com/natures-way-ginkgo-standardized). Has anyone recommended the tincture for you and do you think it's better than capsules?
I took the plunge purchasing the product by reading reviews, I haven't taken capsules so I can't comment on that. I took magnesium in capsules but found swithing to the ionic liquid version better so that influenced my decision.

Masamune said:
Recently I have been thinking about taking ginkgo biloba again for support for my brain functioning. I was given it before by a chinese herbalist and it seemed to improve my mental functioning and clarity but I have not taken it recently. I have a serious neurological condition called chiari malformation affecting my brain so I would like to improve my situation. I spoke with my chiropractor about it and he said he has not used it recently with his patients. He said that he saw that it pushed their systems too hard and started to blow out their adrenals. Also he said that he has not been able to find high quality ginkgo to use with his patients but he said that if I wanted to try it out I could bring some in and he could muscle test me for it.

So I would like to know if anyone can recommend a high quality form of ginkgo biloba that I could take to my doctor to be tested for. Also I am wondering what other people's experience has been with this herb. Has it helped you or someone you know?

Hello masamune, ginkgo biloba cant offend you, but speaking with chiropractor its totally wrong, about that you should speak with an good neurologician doctor!

Lopeat said:
Masamune said:

Hello masamune, ginkgo biloba cant offend you, but speaking with chiropractor its totally wrong, about that you should speak with an good neurologician doctor!

Hello, Lopeat. Since this is your first post on this forum. it would be nice if you write a short introduction about yourself and how you found this forum in the newbie section.

Gingko biloba

thanks for listening

I too am looking at purchasing this herbal supplement, but I want to be fully aware of why I want to use it and what I want from it. Passively, willynilly mix and matching hasn't worked well in the past.

I was wondering whether or not you are still taking ginkgo biloba regularly, or have you since found its effect too temporary? Perhaps it would be good to take pre-workout or in preparation for study/reading, as I believe its a good vasodilator . I take notes whilst reading, but I now realise my memory needs reinforcing and after reading a book by Dominic O'Brien (world champion in memory recall) he makes emphasis on what we eat plays a huge effect on our brain function (obviously). He also says sat fats are bad, hence why I am being wary of hastily taking on his supplement advice.

Cheers!

While researching ginkgo biloba I found this interesting abstract. Apparently, GB helps against influenza and Covid infections:

[...] This article review refers to the roles of Ginkgo Biloba to reduce the risk of infection in the respiratory tract, the details on the epidemiology of corona COVID-19 and influenza, and it highlights how the Ginko Biloba could have been used as a novel treatment.Ginkgo Biloba can reduce the risk of infection by several mechanisms; these mechanisms involve Ginkgo Biloba contains quercetin and other constituents, which have anti-inflammatory and immune modulator effects by reducing pro-inflammatory cytokines concentrations. Cytokines cause inflammation which have been induced the injuries in lung lining. [...]
Via SOTT I found this list of abstracts with ginkgo biloba research. It's not just beneficial for vitiligo for instance, but also promotes brain health. It turns out to be a very versatile tree! FWIW.

Last edited:
Hello masamune, I was taking ginkgo biloba many years ago when I saw it was an additive in a herbal Tea I used to enjoy. I confess I didn't notice any physilogical effects on me but I enjoyed the tea. I think it was from the brand called Yogi Tea. I look forward to hearing more about the effects you experience with it. Good Luck :)

Back
Top Bottom