Gluten-free Irish Tea Brack

Ollie

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
It is almost time for Halloween, and as any Irishman will know, at the centre of an Irish Halloween custom is the Barnbrack Bun, and in the old days, when the Barnbrack Bun was cut, everyone waited to see what they would find in their slice: a piece of cloth; a stick; a pea; a coin; or a ring - and what it meant for their future (have bad luck or be poor; unhappy marriage or continually be in disputes; the person would not marry that year; the person would enjoy good fortune or be rich; or would be wed within the year).

This recipe is in fact for an Irish Tea Brack (which is similar to a Bara Brith (a Welsh tea loaf) only richer in fruits), as it is easier and quicker to make at home compared to a Barnbrack Bun, although they are basically similar (the difference is that the Barnbrack Bun uses yeast as the rising agent and Irish Tea Brack uses baking powder (as such it does not rise as much)). The bun is enriched with dried fruit and mixed spices, and traditionally flavoured with tea. It is served sliced and buttered at tea time.

Ingredients:
Dried Sultanas 80g
Dried Raisins 80g
Dried Currants 80g
Glazed Cherries (halved) 35g
Candied peel 20g
Demerara sugar 150g
Hot tea 265ml (3 teabags - squeezed)
Gluten free flour mix* 300g
Gum Arabic (or Guar gum) 2tsp
Baking powder 1 1/2tsp
Baking soda 1tsp
Salt 1/2tsp
Mixed spice 1tsp
Egg (well beaten) 100g (2 Large – at room temperature)
Hemp milk 2tbsp plus 1 1/2tsp
Apple cider vinegar 3 drops
Objects (wrapped in tin foil) optional (see above)

Method:
Day 1
In a large mixing bowl, place the dried fruit and sprinkle with the sugar; pour over the hot tea and stir well to dissolve the sugar; cover and leave to soak overnight (or at least 6 hrs)
Day 2
Preheat the oven to 180C a (convection oven was used)
Line a 900g (2lb, (23cm x 13cm (9in x 5in))) loaf tin with baking parchment paper (NB, if the loaf tin size is 22 1/2cm x 11 1/2cm (8 1/2in x 4 1/2in), increase baking time by 10mins)
In a bowl sift the flour mix; add the gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and mixed spice; and whisk together well by hand
In a bowl whisk eggs for 2 – -3mins or until it begins to froth
To the mixing bowl full of soaked dried fruit mix, add hemp milk and apple cider vinegar and incorporate; add 50g flour mix; mix to fully combine the flour; gradually add the rest of the flour mix, combining well before each new addition; and finally add the well-beaten egg, combine and beat for 2 – 3mins (to activate the gum); if including objects, wrap them in tin foil, add, and gently mix in
Pour the cake mixture batter into the prepared loaf tin; place in the preheated oven
Bake for 50 – 55mins (until a skewer pressed to the bottom of the centre of the Irish tea brack comes out clean), if it needs more time (say 5mins), lower temperature to 160C
Allow the Irish Tea Brack to cool in the tin for 20mins; then turn out onto a wire rack to cool for a further 1 1/2hr, or more, before serving (the cooled loaf can be wrapped in clingfilm and stored at room temperature for up to 2 days; refresh in a 150C oven for 10 – 15mins before you eat it)

Eat a slice, or two, with butter. Enjoy!!!

*Gluten-free flour mix
Brown rice flour 440g (approx. 3C + 2 ½tbsp)
Potato starch 210g (approx. 1 3/4C)
Tapioca starch 75g (approx. 1/2C)
Arrowroot powder 35g (approx. 1/4C)
Total weight 760g

Raisin bread.jpg

Thanx, I'll send a recipe to my Irish sister. I bake something like that around Christmas but the problem is I invent recipes and then forget them:lol:. A friend just asked me for my gluten free walnut pancakes, and was like the recipe:huh::-[ ???

Back
Top Bottom