Guns and trucks, interpreting my dreams

987baz

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I have been having some really intense dreams of late and have been trying analyze their meaning. I thought I may share 2 of them and my interpretation of their meaning.

dream 1: The Truck

I am driving a very large truck on busy streets that I am unfamiliar with. It feels like it's a moving (as in moving house) truck, I am sitting in the drivers seat alone in the truck. The steering is very heavy and I am anxious about steering, but I am managing to operate it. The breaks are extremely heavy too and I am worried that I may not break in time to hit cars in front of me. Cars in front break quickly and I apply the breaks of the truck, and too my surprise manage to stop in time.

I think it was Turgon who gave me the link to Your Online Source For Dream Interpretations while we were talking about dreams the other day on the Crystal meetup. Which I have found helpful, but I have looked at other sites for other interpretations as well.

this from dreammoods, which struck a chord with me:

Metaphorically, driving a car in your dream is analogous to your sex life and sexual performance. Consider how you are driving and what kind of car you are driving and how it relates to your waking sex life. Or the dream may be a pun on your "drive" or ambition.

I have been in a new relationship for about 5 months, after being single for around 10 years, so, to me this dream signifies my struggle to reintegrate a healthy libido. I have had an ongoing struggle with a perfectionism program and although my new girlfriend has been really supportive I can't help but have feelings of inadequacy, although I am coming to terms with these feelings, which is what I think the dream is about. The whole sex thing is a complicated issue, especially after being celibate for quite some time. I am now in my early 40's and biologically, things change. I have been attempting to boost my testosterone levels as a recent trip to my kinesiologist found them to be a little on the low side, which is hardly surprising. So to me, driving this big heavy truck signifies that it's a big struggle, but one that I seem to be able to steer in the right direction. It being a moving truck seems to me to signify that I am moving from a state of complete celibacy into a new state.

anyway, I am sure there are many interpretations but this seems to me to be the most relevant, although I am open to other suggestions/interpretations

dream 2: Guns

There is some kind of siege scene, I am in command of a team of police (I think) who are armed with machine guns and wearing tactical vests. It is on the urban streets, I don't know where exactly, just an urban street. There are two men who are the "bad guys". One has surrendered and is on his knees with his hands behind his head. I order one of the team to aim their gun at him and make sure he doesn't move. I say that he "gets it" and will not attempt to fight. I order the remaining members of the team to point their guns at the other man who has not surrendered, the team universally and in sync all point their weapons at the man.

from dreammood:

To see a gun in your dream represents aggression, anger, and potential danger. You could be on the defensive about something. Or you may be dealing with issues of passiveness/aggressiveness and authority/dependence. Alternatively, a gun is a symbol of power and pride. Perhaps you are looking for shelter or protection in your dream. From a Freudian perspective, a gun represents the penis and male sexual drive. Thus, the gun may mean power or impotence, depending on whether the gun went off or misfired.

I am not sure about this one, it actually felt like the two "bad guys" were faulty parts of me and that the me commanding the men was my higher self that was, in a sense, putting my foot down and squashing, or at very least subduing those unneeded parts.

But maybe there is anger towards myself for not having dealt with something?

The other thing I would like to mention, is that last week I heard a voice say to me distinctly "mum, dad, guilt, shame" then I woke up rather startled! I am guessing this is related to sex and libido but I am not sure.

Hi Baz!

Well, those two dreams do sound rather strange. When using dream dictionaries I’d be careful not to take them too literal because while many of those interpretation may apply, you’re still an individual and the dreamer no less.

One question id ask is, how did you feel when you woke up? I think that’s key, we’re you shocked, scared, anxious, happy?

While I can see the relationship to sexual imagery, I also tend to think that a truck and a gun are rather odd images to use for sex when your mind could simply use, you know, more clearly sexual images.. but I don’t discount it.

Both dreams seem to me do depict scenes of control, being in control of something you feel may be dangerous and destructive if left out of control (truck with no breaks, your subordinates in a gun situation). And while, again, this can apply to sexual energy, there’s a lot more that it could mean that can relate to your life.

Perhaps, it’s not so much sex and maybe more emotional vulnerability.. perhaps you’re being a bit too controlling with what you allow yourself to express with your significant other? Perhaps you’re being very careful with how you dispense of intimacy in your relationship? Like hitting the breaks on a freight truck?

If a freight truck is handled with extreme restraint it will never deliver its package, if it’s handled with too little it will crash on the way to deliver its package, thus no package is delivered. So I’d meditate on balance.

Same thing with the gun scenario, you use too little control and discipline and it turns into tragedy, you use too much and it can be the same... the appropriate amount of control and discipline but also trust, is required to make a difficult and scary situation, such as becoming intimate with someone again after 10 years, valuable and nurturing.

And while this can also mean sex and libido and so on... remember is not so much the sex for sex’s sake, but it’s being comfortable enough with yourself and your partner to let them have and see that part of your life out of which sex is a part of... but not nearly the only one.

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks Alejo, some interesting points to ponder indeed!

Both dreams seem to me do depict scenes of control, being in control of something you feel may be dangerous and destructive if left out of control (truck with no breaks, your subordinates in a gun situation). And while, again, this can apply to sexual energy, there’s a lot more that it could mean that can relate to your life.

Perhaps, it’s not so much sex and maybe more emotional vulnerability.. perhaps you’re being a bit too controlling with what you allow yourself to express with your significant other? Perhaps you’re being very careful with how you dispense of intimacy in your relationship? Like hitting the breaks on a freight truck?

I think you could be onto something with the control aspect, this is something I do struggle with, as I tend to try and control everything everything in my life, something I am still working on.

I would also say that emotional vulnerability is something fairly new to me. I used to be fairly closed emotionally for most of my adult life and it has only really been in the last 4 or 5 years that this has changed. So there is something there for sure! Feeling insecure about the relationship is something I have never felt before, until very recently.

I actually think the opposite about how I have expressed myself and shown intimacy to my girlfriend, I feel that I have expressed it maybe to excess and that maybe I am anxious about it and that I need to slow down a bit, that it's got out of control. So thank you for pointing that out, as I had not considered that.

I will meditate on it and see what comes out.

thanks for the feedback, most appreciated!!

The other thing I would like to mention, is that last week I heard a voice say to me distinctly "mum, dad, guilt, shame" then I woke up rather startled!

Hi baz,

I'd wonder if this statement isn't related to the symbol of the Moving Truck myself?

Moving trucks, to me, being reflective of carrying around ALL your personal stuff from one place to another.

That the truck is heavy and hard to drive, you're uncomfortable etc. also lending itself to the imagery of you, alone, carrying too much weight or maybe 'baggage' from home?

There are two men who are the "bad guys". One has surrendered and is on his knees with his hands behind his head. I say that he "gets it" and will not attempt to fight. I order the remaining members of the team to point their guns at the other man who has not surrendered, the team universally and in sync all point their weapons at the man.

The idea that these 2 guys represent aspects of yourself also makes a lot of sense perhaps in that part of you 'gets it' about whatever 'mum, dad, guilt, shame' load you are carrying and yet some part of you is reluctant to surrender?

And your dream 'team' are highlighting this issue by pointing 'him' out to you by aiming their guns?

Do you happen to remember which one of the 'baddies' was on your right side (facing you), perhaps this could indicate if the subject of the dream is emotional or logical?

Cheers

J

I'd wonder if this statement isn't related to the symbol of the Moving Truck myself?

Moving trucks, to me, being reflective of carrying around ALL your personal stuff from one place to another.

That the truck is heavy and hard to drive, you're uncomfortable etc. also lending itself to the imagery of you, alone, carrying too much weight or maybe 'baggage' from home?

Hi gnosisxsophia

Yes, I think there is something to this, I do have a strong bond with my mother especially, maybe the new relationship has stirred a kind of guilt for wanting to spend more time with my girlfriend? Not that my mother has a problem with this, indeed, it more the opposite, but maybe a subconscious thing going on, as i certainly don't feel that there is a problem consciously with this.

The idea that these 2 guys represent aspects of yourself also makes a lot of sense perhaps in that part of you 'gets it' about whatever 'mum, dad, guilt, shame' load you are carrying and yet some part of you is reluctant to surrender?

And your dream 'team' are highlighting this issue by pointing 'him' out to you by aiming their guns?

Do you happen to remember which one of the 'baddies' was on your right side (facing you), perhaps this could indicate if the subject of the dream is emotional or logical?

Again, interesting points, thank you :)

The guy on the left had submitted and the guy on the right was the one who was still fighting, so this means it's emotional? which would make sense to me

Back
Top Bottom