Help needed: Russian TV series or films with English subtitles

Ant22

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Привет русскоговорящие друзья :-)

I have recently decided to resume learning Russian and I was wondering if someone could help me. Due to the fact that there are similarities between my mother tongue (Polish) and Russian I noticed that I learn best when I watch Russian programs with English (or Polish) subtitles. The TV program I was watching this way was removed from Netflix after 2 seasons and I can't seem to be able to find any other source of such programs.

Do you happen to know where Russian TV series or films could be watched with English or Polish subtitles? Russian subtitles aren't enough for me as I am still not much more than a beginner. Especially after nearly a 2-year gap. TV series would be best as their longevity is in itself motivating to keep going :knitting:

Any help will be very much appreciated :flowers:

Привет Ант!

На этом сайте есть много хороших русских шоу с субтитрами и пособиями по изучению языка:
(This site has many good Russian shows with subtitles and language learning aids:)

На YouTube-канале "Мосфильм" также есть много классических советских и российских фильмов с субтитрами:
(The YouTube channel "Mosfilm" also has many classic Soviet and Russian films with subtitles:)

Мне также было бы интересно узнать, знают ли другие участники форума о подобных ресурсах. :-)
(I would also be interested to know if other forum members know of similar resources.)

Счастливого просмотра!
(Happy watching!)

What a fine fellow you are! :thup: I will definitely share some interesting findings in this thread, although our friends have already published many films here.
By the way, Polish and Belarusian languages are quite similar and sometimes you can use Polish words if there are not enough Russian words. In any case, I will probably understand the Polish language more easily. :-[ English pronunciation just gets stuck in my mouth and doesn't work out, and I understand the words a few minutes after they were spoken.:whistle: But I try and I'm already much better at it thanks to constant communication here and at meetings.

Привет Ант!

На этом сайте есть много хороших русских шоу с субтитрами и пособиями по изучению языка:
(This site has many good Russian shows with subtitles and language learning aids:)

На YouTube-канале "Мосфильм" также есть много классических советских и российских фильмов с субтитрами:
(The YouTube channel "Mosfilm" also has many classic Soviet and Russian films with subtitles:)

Мне также было бы интересно узнать, знают ли другие участники форума о подобных ресурсах. :-)
(I would also be interested to know if other forum members know of similar resources.)

Счастливого просмотра!
(Happy watching!)
Wow. Excellent knowledge of the Russian language @Ryan. And the advice is great. Thanks !

Recently, YouTube has allowed to enable automatic subtitles and translate the automatically selected video. Undoubtedly and undeniably, you cannot learn from automatic translation. Therefore, you need to look for high-quality and original subtitles separately (which I will also do :)), but if you really want to see something and it is only in Russian, then the option with auto subtitles seems to me to be quite valid.

Привет русскоговорящие друзья :-)

I have recently decided to resume learning Russian and I was wondering if someone could help me. Due to the fact that there are similarities between my mother tongue (Polish) and Russian I noticed that I learn best when I watch Russian programs with English (or Polish) subtitles. The TV program I was watching this way was removed from Netflix after 2 seasons and I can't seem to be able to find any other source of such programs.

Do you happen to know where Russian TV series or films could be watched with English or Polish subtitles? Russian subtitles aren't enough for me as I am still not much more than a beginner. Especially after nearly a 2-year gap. TV series would be best as their longevity is in itself motivating to keep going :knitting:

Any help will be very much appreciated :flowers:

I've started to watch this series, The Black Sea. It's got everything, photogenic cast, Nazi baddies, English subtitles and explosions, lots of explosions!

I love watching Russian music videos, sometimes they have subtitles. Having a tune makes it easier to learn a language I think. Well it helped with my German.

Happy learning!

I tried very hard to supplement the links of friends, which have already been given above. But, unfortunately, it turned out to be a rather difficult task :). It turns out, and true, the main list was higher. In addition - I found a good (in my opinion) site link . But it has a number of drawbacks - firstly, viewing is paid there. Secondly, it is possible that some of the films are already dubbed for free on the YouTube channel via the link above.
Found another small selection of cartoons :). Perhaps something will be interesting. Link on YouTube (some were blocked by YouTube due to copyright complaints, but some are available in the playlist).

Ant, if you are not afraid of meeting Master Dostoevsky, I'd recommend the Idiot TV series of 2003. Used to watch it on YT (along with all other available adaptations of Dostoevsky's novels, subtitled or not), but it's gone. Found it, with Eng. subs here:
Seems they have all episodes there. This is my favourite adaptation of "The Idiot" and Evgeniy Mironov is unbelievably good in playing the main character Prince Myshkin (I love Mironov!) If something happens with the above platform, another place to watch it is dailymotion:

You can still find this series on YT channel Телеканал Культура, but no subs are available.

A few more movies that I liked:

- "12" by Nikita Mikhalkov (2007). That's a Russian version of "Twelve Angry Men", an American courtroom drama. It's still available on YT with Eng. subs. It's long!

- "Master and Margarita" based on the book by Mikhail A. Bulgakov, a short series of 5 episodes is here.

- "War and Peace" based on Tolstoy's novel (the best book on love) and directed by Sergei Bondarchuk (1967), four parts here. Not my favourite adaptation, and most of all not my favourite Natasha, but it seems that's the only one left available with subtitles.

- "Stalker", dir. Andrey Tarkovsky is here. "Андрей Рублев", a true masterpiece by Tarkovsky -part 1 is here. Not everyone loves Tarkovsky, so FWIW. (Oops, just noticed they are listed along with Solaris under Altair's link)

Another option is to listen to audiobooks. Tried some and so far liked most Chekhov's short stories, they are quite easy to understand even with my very rusty Russian. You can search for "антон чехов аудиокниги / рассказы" on YT.

Happy watching and learning!

Starmedia youtube channel has many (mini) series, films and documentaries with English subtitles
StarMediaEN

Personally I prefer to watch Soviet films, since their spoken language is much easier to understand than modern ones.

Back
Top Bottom