How to train your dragon 2

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I had watched parts of this movie a few years ago with my niece, and I remember thinking that it was a very well made piece of entertainment, and even a little moving.

Then, this past weekend I noticed that it was on Netflix and decided to watch it, this time alone.

And I must say that I found it to be extremely moving, it well nearly brought me to tears and so I had to think about why that was?

I am not sure if any of you have watched it, so I will be discussing some specifics about it on a spoiler section, though I will try to be careful.

So the movie picks up after the first one, and the first thing I noticed was how lovely a depiction of the concept of befriending your dragons it was. You could slay your dragons and your demons, but you could also learn to live together with them and so learn to become all the better for it, more whole if you will. The protagonist and his dragon need one another to be able to fully function, without the other they're incomplete. One is just a scary beast and the other is just a harmless boy.

Even though the first one sort of deals with breaking the "strong and brute male" tradition of the tribe by the softer protagonist, Hiccup, which can have its merits from a certain point of view. The second one explores maturation, growing up, forgiveness and this notion of romantic chivalry and love, the protective role of the husband and father, as well as sacrifice and that's very moving. That then leads to the protagonist needing to grow up into that very role and honor his father by protecting his tribe.

Maybe because there's so little of it in the movies these days, that seeing a successful story of a boy growing to become a man, a husband that unconditionally loves his wife and can be both masculine and gentle, and a woman being independent but feminine, tender, caring and nurturing, and all of them fitting within their natural roles in a mutually serving way, is so refreshing and satisfying.

And them making toothless (the dragon) so very adorable, truly helps their case.

So, if you have some spare time, I would recommend it and would like to see if you had similar thoughts about it.

I've watched the cartoon a few times actually because I've felt a strong resonance with the story that is being delivered. I may exaggerate a little but the story it reminded me the hero/warrior journey, that is, the journey of a 3d soul towards becoming one's true self thus completing the cycle in 3D and being ready to move onward.

During our heroe's journey the community plays a fundamental role as well that helps the heroe to grow and become wiser and more responsible towards himself and towards the community to whom he belongs to. Also in the story it is being shown the clash between the STO and STS principles of existence and the consequences when one doesn't give to others their due according to their nature and actions.

There are a few cartoons that I've found inspiring with a deep esoterical message like for example the trilogy Kung Fu Panda where it is being depicted again pretty neatly the journey of the Heroe, from the beginning till his final destiny that being reaching his full spiritual growth thus completing the 3d cycle. There is Raya, another beautifully made cartoon that is worth watching as well that delivers a strong message.

The point is that one won't expect perhaps to find something deep while watching a cartoon movie and that's the trick I think, I mean some deep messages are being delivered through them but in a stealthy way, under the radar so to say, it's like the romance novels that while reading one won't expect to find very deep messages about the human condition in 3d and all that implies.

So yeah one may find a few precious gems in places where one won't expect at all. It's amazing indeed.

Back
Top Bottom