Huberman Lab podcasts – Practical applications of Neuroscience

fabric

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I recently stumbled on a series of lectures by Dr. Andrew Huberman on the relationship between neurobiology, behaviour, and the human body and it’s fascinating. For those interested, I recommend starting with the first episode but any on its own can be watched. From the 1st episode description:

“[...] an introduction to how the nervous system works to create sensations, perceptions, emotions, thoughts and behaviors, as well as how we can change our nervous system— a phenomenon known as neuroplasticity. The information sets the stage for all Huberman Lab Podcast episodes that follow by covering neurons, synapses, brain chemicals and the rhythms that control our ability to focus, learn and sleep… and more.”

The rest of the series builds on that and goes into many other areas. I’ve summarized a few of the main points from the first few episodes but there’s so much content that it barely scratches the surface! The great thing is that each episode is time-stamped with the topics covered so a quick read in any given show’s description will give you an idea of what is covered in a particular episode.

Each month he covers a different (but related) topic in-depth over a series of episodes. He goes into exquisite detail explaining how the body’s systems work, the underlying biology, and presents actionable items we can employ to ‘optimize’ our health and well being.

I think this series of podcasts supplements what we have learned in a well researched and concise way. One thing I really like is how he presents all the information, but also with the caveat that what works for one person might not work as expected for another and its up to us to experiment and find out what works for our particular situation, and that having the foundations and understanding of how and why it does what it does, will empower us to make better decisions regarding to our health and what tools to employ. Huberman also does a great job breaking down complex concepts into easily accessible language and useful tools that complement the ones we have available here. In any case, it’s well worth the watch!

You can find all his videos/podcasts here: Podcast Episodes Archives - Huberman Lab

Below are some of my notes with some commentary.

Your eye has brain neurons in the bottom of it (retinal ganglion cells), that perceive a particular type of light and communicate that to a central ‘clock’ that resides above the roof of the mouth called the suprachiasmatic nucleus.

These cells send a signal to this central clock which has connections to every cell and organ in the body. Getting light tells this signal to time melatonin and cortisol properly. It also syncs temperature of cells under which they exist. Temp is ‘effector’ of circadian rhythm.

Light and body temp are heavy duty movers when it comes to shifting circ rhythms and sleep schedules, with light having the greatest effect. Timing of food intake and exercise also has an effect. This relates to another clock the body has, the ‘intergeniculate leaflet’ that regulates ‘non-photic’ (non-light) type influences.

Viewing light early in the day is key to getting into sleep rhythms / also helps one go to bed earlier

Viewing sunset (can be within one hour of sunset) signals brain that it’s the end of the day. It also prevents bad effects of light at night

Study showing light at back of knee was retracted. Study was repeated: there is no extra-ocular photo reception in humans

I remember reading that in Lights Out. I was a bit shocked to find that out because I remember quoting that study to people at one point. Goes to show that one must always be learning and researching on a continual basis, as what we knew to be true a while ago can change once new information comes to light (no pun intended).

A good way to time your body’s clocks is to use temperature minimum. Take note of last 3 -5 wakeup times, and get average wake up hour. (Temp tends to be lowest around 90-120 min before wakeup time)

Things to do to shift your clock earlier:

• In evening use lights low to ground (avoid overhead light)
  • Turning on lights 45-60 before waking up can make you go to bed earlier (light can penetrate these neurons through eyelids)
  • Getting into ice bath / cold shower causes rebound in thermogenesis. Done early in day, you see a more rapid rise in body temp that will phase advance clock (earlier to wake up)
  • If you expose your eyes to bright light in the 4 hours after temp minimum – your circ. Clock will phase advance (sleep earlier/wake earlier). Try to get at least 100,000 LUX before 9am – 10am (assuming you wake at 7 or 8am) [note: 100,000 Lux is about 2 minutes outside when it is a sunny day!]
To shift clock later:

• Ice bath/cold shower 8pm when body temp falling you push clock forward – (could also has rebound effect in melatonin which might offset that however)
  • Extra bright light exposure late at night will make you wake late and sleep late
  • If light is bright enough, blue blockers won’t stop the light’s effect on circadian rhythm.
  • Takes very little to shift clock after 8pm
  • If you expose your eyes to bright light in the 4 hours BEFORE temp minimum – your circ. Clock will phase delay (sleep later/wake later)
  • Shiftwork – try to keep same schedule for 2 weeks to offset negative effects.

NSDR (non-sleep-deep-rest) or 20 minute nap good for learning sessions of 90 minutes. Doing this after a 90 minute learning session can improve rate of learning and retention

When he was speaking of NSDR I also thought of NeurOptimal and it appears to me that this could also be a good way of maximizing a learning about. It may also be tied into why this works well. For example, if before doing NO we are trying to learn to ‘cope’ with a particular situation or issue. Then doing this after that period could be why some had improvement after a number of sessions. Just a theory though…

Body has a day cycle called “ultradian rhythm” which is also 90 minutes. When learning, the start of the cycle can be slow and challenging but improves with peak focus in middle, then lose focus towards end of it.

The ability to engage in any activity (mental/physical) is going to be when rise in temperature is steepest (why 30 min after waking is key window), 3 hours after waking, and peak (11 hours)

For learning new information and performance on exams limiting variation on amount of sleep is as or, more important, than getting more sleep, ie consistency in sleep is better than more sleep. For every hour variation of sleep there was 17% reduction performance. Example is getting 6-7 hours sleep everyday is better than getting 8 hours one day, then 5 another, then 9 again, then 7, then 10 etc. In previous example variance is one hour while the latter variance is 5 hours.

Apparently this not just for exams but it appears that being consistent is generally better. I didn't know that and it was a relief to not have to always struggle to "catch up" on sleep and instead focus on making my sleep more consistent rather than play catch up.

The first step to neuroplasticity is recognizing that you want to change something. Our nervous system has 2 broad sets of functions. Some of those are reflexive, like breathing and heart rate but also some things like our ability to walk. An example is if you get up and walk to get something you don’t need to think about each step you take because we learned it during development.

But when we decide that we’re going to shift some sort of behaviour or some reaction to something or some new information we want to learn, having that awareness is a remarkable thing because it cues the brain and the rest of the nervous system that when we engage in those reflexive actions going forward, that those reflexive actions are no longer fated to be reflexive.

There are specific chemicals that when we are aware of a change we want to make or even just that we want to make some change, chemicals are released in the brain that allow us the opportunity to make those changes.

Self-recognition is not a murky concept. What it is, is our prefrontal cortex signalling the rest of nervous system that something we’re about to do, hear, feel, experience is worth paying attention to.

I found this bit quite remarkable in that there seems to be a real biological basis for what Gurdjieff was talking about when it came to ‘observing one’s I’s’. G coaches it more esoteric language, which at the time made sense, but this a real thing which has been studied. That the mere act of bringing to awareness that we want to change a particular behaviour produces chemicals that will help facilitate that in our brain is incredible. The key thing being that we must want to do so. Catch the whole episode here for more.

Nicotinic receptors are involved in attention and alertness

Visual focus is primary way we deploy these chemicals. One way train visual focus is to see how long we can go without blinking.

For many people, letting the mind drift where it’s not organized in thought (ie NSDR) after a period of very deliberate focused effort is the best way to accelerate learning and depth of learning.

The signal that generates plasticity is the making of errors.

Plasticity is a state of the nervous system and not specific to the thing you are trying to learn

Real neuroplasticity occurs during sleep

We make errors but the brain doesn’t understand that it’s not working or frustration as an emotional state. It does understand the neurochemicals that are released (ie, epinephrine, acetylcholine) and also dopamine when we do the correct behaviour just a little bit.

The nervous system starts releasing neurotransmitters and neuromodulators that say “we’d better change something in the circuitry.”

Make lots of error, tell yourself they are important and good for learning goals (stimulates dopamine release). Keep bouts of learning relatively short.

One can use the vestibular system to access neuroplasticity.

Errors in vestibular motor sensory experience (ie, being off-balance), cause the cerebellum to release neurotransmitters associated with learning.

Delay caffeine intake until 1 or 2 hours after waking. If taken too soon after waking it competes with adenosine receptors leading to a mid-morning crash.

I'll stop here with the notes. While watching the podcasts, there were other interesting points he would make that would often make me think of the things we'd try or do here. I noticed lots of connections to things I had learned already and expanding on others. A lot of the latest research he summarizes is stuff you don't here about in the mainstream but not too far from the type of health material discussed here. As mentioned earlier, a lot can be gleaned from looking at the show descriptions. So for those are short on time, you can pick only the snippets that interest you (caveat: I tried that but I ended up watching the whole thing, it was just too damn interesting! :lol:). So far there's 22 episodes and he consistently uploads a new episode on Mondays. They are also properly captioned and some of the earlier episodes have proper Spanish subtitles.

Enjoy!

I recently stumbled on a series of lectures by Dr. Andrew Huberman on the relationship between neurobiology, behaviour, and the human body and it’s fascinating. For those interested, I recommend starting with the first episode but any on its own can be watched. From the 1st episode description:

The rest of the series builds on that and goes into many other areas. I’ve summarized a few of the main points from the first few episodes but there’s so much content that it barely scratches the surface! The great thing is that each episode is time-stamped with the topics covered so a quick read in any given show’s description will give you an idea of what is covered in a particular episode.

Each month he covers a different (but related) topic in-depth over a series of episodes. He goes into exquisite detail explaining how the body’s systems work, the underlying biology, and presents actionable items we can employ to ‘optimize’ our health and well being.

I think this series of podcasts supplements what we have learned in a well researched and concise way. One thing I really like is how he presents all the information, but also with the caveat that what works for one person might not work as expected for another and its up to us to experiment and find out what works for our particular situation, and that having the foundations and understanding of how and why it does what it does, will empower us to make better decisions regarding to our health and what tools to employ. Huberman also does a great job breaking down complex concepts into easily accessible language and useful tools that complement the ones we have available here. In any case, it’s well worth the watch!

You can find all his videos/podcasts here: Podcast Episodes Archives - Huberman Lab

Below are some of my notes with some commentary.

I remember reading that in Lights Out. I was a bit shocked to find that out because I remember quoting that study to people at one point. Goes to show that one must always be learning and researching on a continual basis, as what we knew to be true a while ago can change once new information comes to light (no pun intended).

When he was speaking of NSDR I also thought of NeurOptimal and it appears to me that this could also be a good way of maximizing a learning about. It may also be tied into why this works well. For example, if before doing NO we are trying to learn to ‘cope’ with a particular situation or issue. Then doing this after that period could be why some had improvement after a number of sessions. Just a theory though…

Apparently this not just for exams but it appears that being consistent is generally better. I didn't know that and it was a relief to not have to always struggle to "catch up" on sleep and instead focus on making my sleep more consistent rather than play catch up.

I found this bit quite remarkable in that there seems to be a real biological basis for what Gurdjieff was talking about when it came to ‘observing one’s I’s’. G coaches it more esoteric language, which at the time made sense, but this a real thing which has been studied. That the mere act of bringing to awareness that we want to change a particular behaviour produces chemicals that will help facilitate that in our brain is incredible. The key thing being that we must want to do so. Catch the whole episode here for more.

I'll stop here with the notes. While watching the podcasts, there were other interesting points he would make that would often make me think of the things we'd try or do here. I noticed lots of connections to things I had learned already and expanding on others. A lot of the latest research he summarizes is stuff you don't here about in the mainstream but not too far from the type of health material discussed here. As mentioned earlier, a lot can be gleaned from looking at the show descriptions. So for those are short on time, you can pick only the snippets that interest you (caveat: I tried that but I ended up watching the whole thing, it was just too damn interesting! :lol:). So far there's 22 episodes and he consistently uploads a new episode on Mondays. They are also properly captioned and some of the earlier episodes have proper Spanish subtitles.

Enjoy!
Really excellent podcast. Stumbled upon it today because of YouTube recommendations and watched the first two episodes. A really good collection of comprehensive, distilled and actionable insights from neuroscience. Can easily become one of the best podcasts on the internet. Huberman is doing a great job with the content, delivery and depth. Will definitely supplement and clarify the teachings by Gurdjieff or other books in the recommended reading list.

Back
Top Bottom