Huge sinkhole in Manchester after flooding

Chad

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Manchester, UK. It seems the months worth of rain that was dumped is causing problems. There's a video which can't be embedded on the sites page.

Huge sinkhole opens in public road in Manchester after flooding causes major transport disruption

Huge-hole-opens-in-Mancunian-Way-after-flooding-causes-major-disruption.jpg

Traffic was halted in both directions after the crater - measuring at least 15 feet - appeared on a busy commuter route

Weather caused traffic chaos in a central location of Manchester today when a 40ft deep sinkhole appeared in a busy road.

Mass diversions were put in place because of the heavy rain and the road was closed in both directions after the crater, measuring 15ft long, appeared.

The giant hole opened up in Mancunian Way between the junctions with the A6 London Road and Fairfield Street.

Huge hole opens in Mancunian Way after flooding causes major disruption
Road collapse: The huge hole which opened up in Mancunian Way after flooding caused major disruption

It came as torrential rain battered Manchester city centre as well as much of the country.

Manchester council engineers and United Utilities have been called to the scene to assess the damage, according to our sister paper the Manchester Evening News.

Large disruption: Thought to be around 40ft deep, the hole measures 15ft long and closed both side of the carriageway when it appeared

It’s believed that the hole was caused either by a collapsed sewer or a culvert - a pipe which carries water underground.

It is not yet known how long the carriageway will be closed for, but motorists have been advised to avoid the area and diversion have been put in place.

Expert attention: Manchester council engineers and United Utilities workers attended the scene of the incident

A workman at the scene said the hole appeared just after midday and they then closed the road.

He said the rain could have caused the collapse.

Drenched city: The collapse came after a morning or torrential rain in the area

The hole is on the Eastbound carriageway heading to Ancoats but there are fears it could spread to the other side.

The workman said: “There are concerns it could spread to the other side and I see both directions being closed for weeks while repair work takes place.”

Re: Huge sinkhole opens in public road in Manchester after flooding causes majo

itellsya said:
Manchester, UK. It seems the months worth of rain that was dumped is causing problems. There's a video which can't be embedded on the sites page.

I think sinkholes are much more likely to be caused by stuff that's going on below the surface of Earth than rainfall.

Also here:
_http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-rain-flooding-travel-live-9856044

2.53pm
Fresh cracks appearing

Reporter Alex Hibbert at the Mancunian Way says fresh cracks are appearing on the road.
cracks.jpg

and here:
_http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mancunian-way-hole-closed-flooding-9858840

Mancunian Way could be closed for WEEKS after 40ft deep hole appears

14:48, 14 August 2015
By Pete Bainbridge , Alex Hibbert

Traffic on the road in Manchester city centre was halted in both directions on Friday morning after the crater - measuring at least 15 feet - appeared at the Ancoats end of the busy commuter route

Heimdallr said:
itellsya said:

I think sinkholes are much more likely to be caused by stuff that's going on below the surface of Earth than rainfall.

Perhaps, but as noted, it seems the months worth of rain helped things along.

itellsya said:
Heimdallr said:
itellsya said:

Perhaps, but as noted, it seems the months worth of rain helped things along.

Yea I’ve never seen rain make a hole on it’s own... though my money if I had any, would be on a little bit of both to speed things along - though the ration need not be 50:50.

Second sinkhole appears just METRES from Mancunian Way crater

_http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/second-sinkhole-mancunian-way-manchester-9976613#ICID=sharebar_facebook

sink-hole-part-2.jpg

14:01, 2 September 2015
Updated 14:02, 2 September 2015
By Alex Hibbert

The hole was first spotted at 10am this morning - though authorities don't yet know if it's linked to Mancunian Way's 40ft hole

A new sinkhole has appeared in the city centre - just metres from the 40ft crater on Mancunian Way.

The hole, on Paddock Street, was first spotted by workers at a neighbouring business at around 10am this morning.

Paddock Street has now been partially closed to traffic and the hole fenced off as Manchester council engineers and United Utilities assess the damage.

About 10ft deep and 5ft across, it is much smaller than the hole which forced Mancunian Way to close completely for more a fortnight.

Workmen at the scene said that they don’t yet know what may have caused it, or if it is related to the 40ft hole which first appeared on Friday, August 14.

One worker at Simply Reclaims, based at Graphite House on Paddock Street, said he nearly had his car swallowed by the new hole after parking nearby this morning.

Calum McDermott, a 21-year-old line manager at the firm, said: “We were first told about it by a truck driver who had to screech to a halt to avoid going in it.

“I couldn’t believe it when I saw it, you can see right down beneath the road. My car was parked less than a metre away from it so I had a lucky escape.

“It is worrying that it has appeared as it really is not far from Mancunian Way’s hole – who’s to say more won’t appear?”

The Mancunian Way was closed for more than a fortnight after its hole first appeared but partially reopened on Tuesday morning following intensive repair work over the Bank Holiday weekend.

A contraflow is now operating on the westbound carriageway between B6469 Fairfield Street, Raven Street and the A6 Downing Street and London Road, allowing motorists to travel between Ardwick and Salford in both directions.

Heavy goods vehicles are still unable to travel on the stretch until further safety checks are made.

We have requested a response from Manchester Council and United Utilities. [who 24+ days later STILL haven't cleared the parasite Crytopcsporidium from our supply! 'Boiled water notice lifted in more [not ALL] areas of Lancashire after outbreak' _http://www.expressandstar.com/business/city-news/2015/08/31/boiled-water-notice-lifted-in-more-areas-of-lancashire-after-outbreak-2/]

Back
Top Bottom