hydrogen water

I've found this website. It seems interesting. I hope it's not a scam. If anyone tried, feel free to share.

Hydrogen Rich Water: Performance Enhancing or Hype?

When I first heard about athletes using hydrogen rich water (HRW) for performance enhancement, I was skeptical. (There’s so much snake oil and pseudoscience out there that I’ve become dismissive most anytime someone mentions a new trick up their sleeve.) Last month, a trusted friend and gymnastics coach mentioned a few medical studies that got my attention. This coupled with rumors that the Miami Dolphins football team has started using HRW, I decided to dig into the medical literature to see for myself if there’s really something going on here. Science ahead!
PubMed Articles
Well, it actually looks like there is something going on here. All of these studies were conducted in 2010 or later, but it’s worth noting that the number of medical research articles about HRW has grown exponentially since 2007. Source The results are
Hydrogen rich water improves performance.
statistically significant. Most, but not all studies were double-blind and placebo controlled, which is important to me when making any sort of assessment. Check it out…

• Hydrogen rich water (HRW) is non-toxic, inexpensive, easily administered, and can readily cross the blood-brain barrier. Source
  • This study showed that drinking hydrogen water pre-workout “reduced blood lactate levels and improved exercise-induced decline of muscle function” Link to Study
  • This study demonstrated an improvement in lipid profile by an increase in HDL and a decrease in the total cholesterol/HDL ratio. Consumption of hydrogen rich water generated via a magnesium stick demonstrated improvement in the levels of oxidative stress markers associated with metabolic syndrome and boosted the body’s antioxidant activity Link to Study
  • In this study, “The consumption of hydrogen-rich water for 6 weeks reduced reactive oxygen metabolites in the blood and maintained blood oxidation potential.” Link to Study
  • Although the test subjects were mice, this study provides some sound evidence that hydrogen water improves neurological function in the animal model for multiple sclerosis. Link to Study
  • Although not placebo controlled, this study demonstrated that HRW had an alkalinizing effect on the blood. (Athletes, especially weightlifters, eat a lot of red meat, which can lower blood pH and cause a host of neuromuscular and cardiorespiratory issues.) Link to Study
Mechanism of Action
How does HRW work it’s magic? In our bodies, hydrogen functions as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals. This means hydrogen protects DNA, prevents inflammation, prevents cellular decay, and combats out-of-control cell growth, the root of most cancers. Hydrogen selectively neutralizes toxic cell damaging free radicals by bonding to them. Free radicals have an unpaired electron, which makes them very reactive. Free radicals are linked to neurological disorders, inflammatory disorders, cancer, diabetes, early cell death, and aging.
Hydrogen gas is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe.
Naturally occurring “free hydrogen” is not very accessible to our bodies because unbound hydrogen molecules are rare. Hydrogen gas is the smallest molecule in the universe, is very rapidly diffusing, and is hydrophobic. This means it can pass freely through the cell wall so that it can work it’s magic in the nucleus of the cell, specifically to the mitochondria where it can repair oxidative stress.
Most hydrogen in our bodies is bound to oxygen atoms to form H2O, or water. Hydrogen gas is a relatively light gas, and evaporates quickly. The good news is that drinking HRW provides hydrogen that is easier for our cells to use. The by-product of hydrogen gas bonding to free radicals is H2O, the most harmless and easily transported molecule in the human body.
Is it Safe?
Hydrogen gas has no known toxicity. It been used in deep sea diving since the 1940s to prevent compression sickness and is commonly produced by our intestinal bacteria. Hundreds of studies with human based trials have shown no risk factors. In short, yes it is very safe.
Additional Resources
If you’re even remotely interested in HRW, this excellent presentation is a must watch.

Thank you for starting this thread, nature. I think it is well worth digging into the topic. I am listening to the show from the link you gave now.

Now a little detour: couple of weeks ago I contacted an American company, HighTechHealth, that makes a top-class far infrared saunas. They are ahead of other players in the field because not only they produce hightech devices but they also pay a lot of attention to EMF radiation coming off of the infrared light emitters, among other things. I inquired them about prices and then had a talk with their representative about their work. Unfortunately, the prices are totally out of my budget (the cheapest saunas start around $5.000 plus delivery to Europe around $2.000) so if I was to buy a FIR sauna, I would start with SaunaMed from AqualineSaunas (very good make and far cheaper).

The representative was very friendly and helpful. She suggested to me to contact her if my business takes off and my budget allows me to . I was surprised to receive an email from her a couple of days ago where she 'coincidentally' writes about molecular hydrogen therapies as they have some products related to that. Let me quote the email:

Hello A.,

I have been thinking today, and I have another idea that you may find very interesting. Are you familiar with the Molecular Hydrogen Therapies? It is just starting to make news, and there are now thousands of recent studies showing the health benefits from Hydrogen Therapy. Perhaps this is another supplemental therapy that you would like to offer. The inhalers are an investment up front, but perhaps you can start with a case or two of the tablets and start profiting at a lower buy-in cost.

Here is a great summary of Hydrogen benefits, and I have attached the information about our affiliate program. I can set you up if you are interested. I have asked for a quote on shipping for both a case of tablets, and an inhaler for you.

And then she gave a link to this article from Dr. Jill Carnahan for more information:

15 Science-backed Benefits of Molecular Hydrogen You Need to Know About
We all know antioxidants are great for us. They act as a friendly police force, helping us fight free radicals. Without antioxidants, free radicals can run rampant throughout the body causing damage as they go. We eat more berries, drink tea, and justify our glass of wine each night with the idea the antioxidants in them are what make each of these a healthy choice.

But there’s a new sheriff in town.

Molecular hydrogen or H2 gas is a very small neutrally charged molecule that has the ability to cross cell membranes and the blood-brain barrier. This gives it the unique ability to access DNA and mitochondria within the cell where it has protective action.

Free radicals are uncharged or unstable molecules, which make them highly reactive and extremely likely that they’ll pull apart pieces of other molecules to gain stability. In their search for stability, they can damage your body. Sometimes this can result in chain reactions. Antioxidants are molecules that safely stabilize free radicals and reduce the amount of damage that can be done.

The most common way to consume molecular hydrogen is with a tablet you drop into your water, which releases hydrogen gas. When I first heard about hydrogen water, my eyebrows raised. I was initially skeptical because hydrogen is so abundant, why had we not realized the power of this element before? Turns out we had been missing a very important possibility that has been right under our noses.

Molecular hydrogen has so many wonderful benefits and acts as a powerful antioxidant neutralizing free radicals that contribute to disease progression. I now think it’s a straightforward and easy supplement everyone should add to their day. You simply drop a hydrogen tablet into your cup of water first thing in the morning and drink the effervescence that develops.

I think molecular hydrogen is going to be one of the biggest health and wellness trends in the upcoming years. Fortunately, by reading this, you’re ahead of the game.

1. Hydrogen acts as an antioxidant
Hydrogen gas acts as powerful antioxidant and has been shown to protect cells from even the most cytotoxic reactive oxygen species. Specifically, inhalation of H2 gas has been shown to suppress brain injuries through these effects.

2. Hydrogen supports your body’s antioxidant system
H2 supports your body’s natural antioxidant system by signaling pathways associated with the prevention of disease.

3. Hydrogen is anti-inflammatory
In animal studies, hydrogen gas has been shown to be extremely anti-inflammatory. While we could use more studies on humans to back these initial findings, research on patients with rheumatoid arthritis are extremely promising.

4. Hydrogen may help reduce pain
As mentioned above, the effects of hydrogen on patients with rheumatoid arthritis have shown a significant decrease in pain. This pain relief is due to the reduction in oxidative stress caused by the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of hydrogen gas.

5. Hydrogen protects your muscles
In an animal study, hydrogen water prevented muscle wasting in mice that had muscular dystrophy. Hydrogen also boosted the natural production of glutathione which is often called our master antioxidant. The effects of hydrogen on athletes and exercise is a promising area worth keeping your eye on.

6. Hydrogen can speed up sport-related recovery
Hydrogen water has been shown to reduce muscle fatigue in elite athletes after intense exercise. This is because it reduced lactic acid buildup, which improved muscle function.

7. Hydrogen can help balance the pH of the blood
Hydrogen water has also been shown to have an alkalizing effect in the blood. This is especially beneficial to people who are extremely physically active because extreme exercise can cause metabolic acidosis.

8. Hydrogen affects cell modulation
Hydrogen appears to have effects in the cells that help them maintain homeostasis and healthy modulation. Through healthy gene expression and cellular metabolism, hydrogen positively affects cellular processes on many different levels.

9. Hydrogen is neuroprotective
Hydrogen has been shown to reduce damage to the brain in Parkinson’s patients. It’s also shown to have generally neuroprotective properties due to its ability to fight oxidative stress.

10. Hydrogen is protective against metabolic conditions
Studies have found that hydrogen increases insulin sensitivity, decreases blood sugar, and blood cholesterol levels. These effects make hydrogen up potential therapy for fighting obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.

11. Hydrogen boosts your mitochondria
Your mitochondria are the powerhouse of your cells, which makes them directly responsible for your energy levels day to day. Clinical studies on hydrogen-rich water have found that it improves mitochondrial function.

12. Hydrogen protects against DNA damage
Hydrogen gas has been shown to significantly protect DNA against radiation damage. It does so by scavenging hydroxyl radical formation.

13. Hydrogen can calm allergic reactions
With allergies on the rise across the world, this is an interesting observation. Studies have found that in animals, hydrogen can sometimes calm allergic reactions. The way hydrogen appears to calm allergic reactions is by modulating cell processes and restoring homeostasis. It seems that hydrogen restores healthy processes throughout the body, which makes it a good idea for just about everyone to consider taking.

14. Hydrogen is protective against cancer
Hydrogen appears to be protective against cancer. At this point, it probably doesn’t surprise you since you know how hydrogen can protect against oxidative stress and damage to the DNA. Hydrogen has also been observed to help reduce side effects of chemotherapy in some patients.

15. Hydrogen protects organs
Hydrogen has been observed to be protective against damage to numerous organs including the brain, pancreas, heart, liver, eyes, and lungs. This is believed to be because of hydrogen’s anti-inflammatory, antiapoptotic, and oxidative stress fighting effects.

As I said before, I think molecular hydrogen is going to be one of the biggest buzzwords in the health industry. I want my readers to be ahead of the game and so I paired up with the best molecular hydrogen supplement on the market.
Please also share this article with your friends and family because molecular hydrogen might be one of the simplest and additions they can make to their life today that has tremendous benefits.

Resources:
  1. Hydrogen acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals
  2. Molecular hydrogen attenuates hypoxia/reoxygenation injury of intrahepatic cholangiocytes by activating Nrf2 expression. - PubMed - NCBI
  3. Anti-inflammatory properties of molecular hydrogen: investigation on parasite-induced liver inflammation. - PubMed - NCBI
  4. Consumption of water containing a high concentration of molecular hydrogen reduces oxidative stress and disease activity in patients with rheumatoi... - PubMed - NCBI
  5. Molecular hydrogen alleviates motor deficits and muscle degeneration in mdx mice. - PubMed - NCBI
  6. Pilot study: Effects of drinking hydrogen-rich water on muscle fatigue caused by acute exercise in elite athletes. - PubMed - NCBI
  7. Hydrogen-rich water affected blood alkalinity in physically active men. - PubMed - NCBI
  8. Hepatic oxidoreduction-related genes are upregulated by administration of hydrogen-saturated drinking water. - PubMed - NCBI
  9. A randomized double-blind multi-center trial of hydrogen water for Parkinson’s disease: protocol and baseline characteristics
  10. Molecular hydrogen improves obesity and diabetes by inducing hepatic FGF21 and stimulating energy metabolism in db/db mice. - PubMed - NCBI
  11. Open-label trial and randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial of hydrogen-enriched water for mitochondrial and inflammatory my... - PubMed - NCBI
  12. Molecular hydrogen attenuates radiation-induced nucleobase damage to DNA in aerated aqueous solutions. - PubMed - NCBI
  13. Molecular hydrogen suppresses FcepsilonRI-mediated signal transduction and prevents degranulation of mast cells. - PubMed - NCBI
  14. Recent Progress Toward Hydrogen Medicine: Potential of Molecular Hydrogen for Preventive and Therapeutic Applications
  15. Molecular hydrogen: a preventive and therapeutic medical gas for various diseases

So I think the idea is no scam but how much benefit it might really bring I don't know. I guess other forumites already know more about this topic and will chime in later.

Edit: P.S. Perhaps the thread could be renamed as (or extended with) Molecular Hydrogen Therapy?

Edit2: In the recent event discussed in the thread Body Electric Summit there was a lecture by Kelly Halderman, MD, CCN, PscD - Molecular Hydrogen Water, which could be interesting too.

Last edited:
I've found this website. It seems interesting. I hope it's not a scam. If anyone tried, feel free to share.
I experimented with this many months ago after watching a Mercola interview on the subject. After receiving a generator, I started consuming the H water and found that it consistently produced diarrhea. I had to stop and then learned from the manufacturer that a common side effect in folks is indeed diarrhea. I sent the generator back for a full refund. At no time did I detect any benefit from the H water. Oh well, ...

Back
Top Bottom