Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

Is this an example that more is merrier???

I don't know. Remember the case of the little girl who had a stroke en utero and has now had over 1000 sessions with all her attendant improvements? How much CAN we improve? What are the limits?

I don't recall anything else we've done over the years that is so generally beneficial and appears to have so much potential with no downsides.

I'm beginning to think that all members should get together in small groups and buy units together - say 8 people max - and set up a way for all to participate in the benefits for extended periods of time. Obviously, that is not possible paying for sessions at a commercial place. But one machine can run all day and do 8 sessions. You have to allow the ten minutes or so for pressurizing and a few minutes for coming up. But 8 is doable if you schedule tightly. So, dividing the cost between 8 people might be manageable.

Also, if someone is better able to afford the unit and there are other members nearby who can't afford much to pitch in, it would be a service to include them also.

I'm starting to wonder if we weren't made to live in an environment with more oxygen. Any way to find out if oxygen levels have fluctuated through the ages? If so, by how much? How does the level at present rate against other periods?
I think this is probably underestimated:
“In the new study, researchers calculated past atmospheric oxygen levels by looking at air trapped inside ancient polar ice samples. Specifically, they looked at samples from Greenland and Antarctica.

The new estimates suggest that atmospheric oxygen levels have fallen by 0.7 percent over the past 800,000 years.”

I'm starting to wonder if we weren't made to live in an environment with more oxygen. Any way to find out if oxygen levels have fluctuated through the ages? If so, by how much? How does the level at present rate against other periods?
It's a question I've been asking myself as well and I've just found an interesting little study that seems to support the idea that there was a higher oxygen content in the past

A study conducted by an international team, including Christophe Lécuyer, from the Geology Laboratory of the University of Lyon, points in the latter direction. By analyzing a sample of the atmosphere dating back 815 million years, the researchers found that the concentration of oxygen was already much higher than previously thought before the Cambrian.

Salt rock, which geologists call halite, is a valuable natural archive for the study of past environments, because as it forms at the interface between air and brackish water, it captures air in tight bubbles completely isolated from the atmosphere. Researchers found fragments of halite under a layer of sediment about a kilometer deep in southwestern Australia. They were able to determine their age - approximately 815 million years old - by dating the sedimentary layers where they were located.

The researchers then broke up the halite crystals in a vacuum chamber to release the contents of the bubbles. Using a mass spectrometer, they then determined the oxygen concentration of this primitive air. The result is surprising: the samples contain 10.9% oxygen, 5 times more than what is usually estimated for the atmosphere of 800 million years ago (and equivalent to half of the current content of 20.9%).

In parallel, another study, led by a Franco-Brazilian team from the Institut de Physique du Globe in Paris, the Domaines Océaniques laboratory in Brest and the Universities of Sao Paulo and Bélem, has highlighted the role of sulfur-exploiting bacteria in the increase of oxygen in the atmosphere and the ocean during the Neoproterozoic (1000 to 541 million years ago). By analyzing compounds blown into sediments (pyrites and sulfates), the researchers estimated that these bacteria would have been responsible for a 50% decrease in dissolved sulfates in the ocean. Using these sulfates as an oxidant in anaerobic respiration (without oxygen), these bacteria would have "spared" the oxygen produced by photosynthetic organisms, which would have allowed the increase in atmospheric levels.

These results suggest that oxygen was already present in significant quantities in the atmosphere (and thus in the ocean) long before the explosion of multicellular life at the dawn of the Cambrian.

I don't know. Remember the case of the little girl who had a stroke en utero and has now had over 1000 sessions with all her attendant improvements? How much CAN we improve? What are the limits?
I think that we are definitely onto something thinking that likes of Methuselah lived in oxygen conditions significantly different from today. Therefore I would think that HBOT should be used for lifetime.

Any way to find out if oxygen levels have fluctuated through the ages? If so, by how much? How does the level at present rate against other periods?
There are papers that report the measurement of oxygen in ice cores. One example:

A 2016 Princeton study announced that Earth has been slowly leaking oxygen over the last 800,000 years, and they’re not exactly sure why.

The scientists, led by geochemist Daniel Stolper, looked at samples of air trapped in ice from Greenland and Antarctica and found that oxygen concentrations had steadily declined by 0.7 percent over the period of study. That’s not alarming — you’d notice as much of a change if you took the elevator from the ground floor to the 30th floor in a seaside building,

main-qimg-3d6429f4bebb0defddb48a5909100e20

The rate of oxygen depletion over the past 100 years continues the trend and at a higher rate than the period reported during the Princeton study. Of great concern are ocean algal blooms, especially those associated with agricultural runoff which are responsible for coastal oxygen deficient dead zones.

Every year the topic of dead zones in the Gulf of Mexico seems to resurface, no pun intended. According to TreeHugger, Dead Zones Have Doubled Every 10 Years Since 1960s. A report links expanded corn production to the increasing size of the zone. It appears that ethanol is not the environmental bargain it was made out to be.

main-qimg-462847246c0fcc584e6bc08c153d92aa-lq

New research shows that this phenomenon is not limited to the Gulf of Mexico, as ocean dead zones crop up around the world.

Source.

“Professor Robert Berner of Yale University has researched oxygen levels in prehistoric times by chemically analysing air bubbles trapped in fossilised tree amber. He suggests that humans breathed a much more oxygen-rich air 10,000 years ago.
Further back, the oxygen levels were even greater. Robert Sloan has listed the percentage of oxygen in samples of dinosaur-era amber as: 28% (130m years ago), 29% (115m years ago), 35% (95m years ago), 33% (88m years ago), 35% (75m years ago), 35% (70m years ago), 35% (68m years ago), 31% (65.2m years ago), and 29% (65m years ago).
Professor Ian Plimer of Adelaide University and Professor Jon Harrison of the University of Arizona concur. Like most other scientists they accept that oxygen levels in the atmosphere in prehistoric times averaged around 30% to 35%, compared to only 21% today – and that the levels are even less in densely populated, polluted city centres and industrial complexes, perhaps only 15 % or lower.”

Here are two graphs from a paper compiling the data from several researchers:

1668981945718.png

Variations in atmospheric oxygen concentrations over geological time. Green arrows and texts represent major evolutionary and geological events that are believed to be in direct connection with atmospheric O2 concentration (Graham et al., 1995, 1997; Dudley, 1998; Bishopric, 2005; Raymond and Segre, 2006; Fisher and Burggren, 2007; Koch and Britton, 2007; Harrison et al., 2010; Taylor and McElwain, 2010). Similar comparisons have been discussed previously (Koch and Britton, 2007). Arrows are positioned in time based on approximations derived from geological evidence.

Atmospheric O2 levels were estimated and plotted based on available geochemical studies (Berner, 2006; Olson, 2006; Raymond and Segre, 2006; Berner et al., 2007; Taylor and McElwain, 2010).

(A) Atmospheric O2 concentration across geological time. This representation includes the periods over which life first appeared on Earth and the evolution of oxygenic photosynthesis, which was responsible for the subsequent rise in atmospheric O2.
(B) A zoom in on the region highlighted in red on (A). This expanded view includes the time span ranging from the Ediacaran period of the late Pre-Cambrian to the present Quaternary period (not named in graph) of the Cenozoic Era. During these periods, atmospheric O2 concentration varied greatly; these changes influenced the evolutionary trends of animal life, including the development of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems in vertebrates.

Symbols on the bottom axis represent the geological Periods according to the 2009 Geologic Time Scale (Walker and Geissman, 2009). Pre-Є, Pre-Cambrian; Є, Cambrian; O, Ordovician; S, Silurian; D, Devonian; C, Carboniferous; P, Permian; Tr, Triassic; J, Jurassic; K, Cretaceous; T, Tertiary.

Source

Oh, one other thing: I have some small lipomas on my arm that seem to be getting smaller.
I have 2 small black bulges on leg a for a decade (I guess) and not sure whether they are called lipomas or not. Doesn't hurt at all even when moved or squeezed. I showed it to doctor few times, they say nothing to worry. After HBOT , they started shrinking and blackness also started fade away. I had 50 sessions as of now on an average more than 1 hr 15 min. When I was mentally stressed, HBOT seems to do some thing to uplift too.

Exactly my point
Sorry for repeating what you wrote. In French there are expressions like "dating back to Methuselah" (very old times) or "since Methuselah" (for a very long time). So I thought wrongly that you referred to old times not to old age.

Until recently I thought that these incredible longevity were just confabulations to make the OT fit the other timelines. Now I am wondering. :huh:

Sorry for repeating what you wrote. In French there are expressions like "dating back to Methuselah" (very old times) or "since Methuselah" (for a very long time). So I thought wrongly that you referred to old times not to old age.

Until recently I thought that these incredible longevity were just confabulations to make the OT fit the other timelines. Now I am wondering. :huh:
In my language we have a saying “as old as Methuselah”.
Do we know of other then Christian cultures having references to very long lived people in the past?
Found interesting Wikipedia page - scroll down for
Ancient extreme longevity claims:
Also lots of references here:

Yes that’s what I think also. I posted earlier with the same question
Here’s a cross-threaded question and it could be really a dumb question.
Did the ancients with lifespans of 350-700 ish years live in earth in a more oxygen rich atmosphere?
If so, could the earths transition to 4D potentially involve the earth developing a more oxygen rich environment to support more complexity in the life forms?
So that HBOT is preparing our bodies for such an environment.
Shoot me down if it’s a dumb idea.

If that’s the case then there were limits. For instance a human will get pulmonary oxygen toxicity if they breathe oxygen above 40% for over 24 hours. So if the environment was more oxygen rich it would probably be somewhere below 40% and above our current 21%.

From Wikipedia:
“ The presence of O2 provided life with new opportunities. Aerobic metabolism is more efficient than anaerobic pathways, and the presence of oxygen created new possibilities for life to explore.[8][9] Since the start of the Cambrian period, atmospheric oxygen concentrations have fluctuated between 15% and 35% of atmospheric volume.[10] The maximum of 35% was reached towards the end of the Carboniferous period (about 300 million years ago), a peak which may have contributed to the large size of various arthropods, including insects, millipedes and scorpions.[9]”

According to Polish doctor Jan Pokrywka, atmospheric conditions before the Flood were similar to those preserved in the air bubbles contained in amber: oxygen content of 32% at pressures between 1500-2000 hPa. There were also higher levels of carbon dioxide and also hydrogen which was not present in these air bubbles because amber is permeable to hydrogen.
He said that under such conditions a life of about 800 years is quite possible.
He himself lives in a house - a chamber he built and in which the above air conditions are present
I think this is an interesting question for Cs during the next session

Back
Top Bottom