Interstellar

axj

The Living Force
Very good movie - highly recommended, especially for people who like science fiction.

The movie takes places several decades in the future - after several catastrophic developments the world population has shrunk and the food output continues to drop due to a biologic agent that is destroying crops and that will eventually use up all the breathable oxygen.

There are no more armies or even police forces - yet interestingly there was not even one gun in this movie.

There is wormhole travel to another galaxy, a black hole, higher dimensions and the suggestion that people from the future who live in a higher dimensional space are helping to save humanity.

I went to watch it this evening, but the movie stopped in the middle and they said there was a technical problem.

But based on the two hours I watched, I think it had a "masonic" flavor, with coded names (Lazarus, "EVE" for "level 7",etc), and the plot which is "initiatic". The idea of a reality constructed by our own mind has also the same "flavor".

jsf said:
But based on the two hours I watched, I think it had a "masonic" flavor, with coded names (Lazarus, "EVE" for "level 7",etc), and the plot which is "initiatic".

I remember "Lazarus", but not "EVE" or "Level 7". And I'm not sure what you mean with an "initiatic" plot or why this has to be something "masonic".

jsf said:
The idea of a reality constructed by our own mind has also the same "flavor".

I don't think there was anything like that in this movie.

By "initiatic", I mean a construction that corresponds to the "awakening" of the "hero".
Same here : _https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rwc5n0nycE
So the "hero" (or mason) understands that he is not a zombie-slave, but also someone who can awake to the reality (you see that repeatedly in movies like Matrix etc, but also in a lot of undertainment movies, not philosophical movies -- that only reproduce the "codes", the "symbols" of that awakening).
In Interstallar the hero states repeatedly that he is not like the others, that he feels everybody losed the hope and curiosity (=everybody is dead).
He is shown debating at school with other zombies-slaves, working for the system.
Also, his wife is dead, so he is now a kind of androgynous being forced to combine the two polarities.
In 2001 you have the apes living in harmony and in Interstellar you have the people living in harmony on earth.
And then this "Promethean" change (and in Interstellar the 15th of april is mentioned).
While I'm not sure why the 15th in particular (1+5=6 and 6+4 (april)=10 = 1 light, 0 darkness), april is the beginning of the "Light" after the winter (the ram/fire).
So there is the "Eden", and then something (the Mind, the Light, etc) breaks the harmony.
This is when in the movie you see the robot (black, cube, monolith), the rocket (phallic), and "EVE" on the wall (fall of Eden).
Also the hero is taken by force to a "police interrogation" which reminds us the masonic custom.
As you find these "initiatic" patterns in a lot of movies, that's why I said it had a "masonic" flavor. (The hero who goes through an awakening process and then sees another reality/dimension).

that people from the future who live in a higher dimensional space are helping to save humanity."
I don't think there was anything like that in this movie.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your first sentence. I have yet to see the end of the film.

jsf said:
As you find these "initiatic" patterns in a lot of movies, that's why I said it had a "masonic" flavor. (The hero who goes through an awakening process and then sees another reality/dimension).

Okay, but a hero going through an awakening process does not necessarily have to be "masonic" in any way.

Having an awakening process is an important part of life. And so movies that feature that (like the "Matrix") are often of much higher quality and with more depth than movies that don't. At least, that's how I see it.

Hmmm. If there are no more armies or police forces, how can the 'hero' be taken to a police interrogation? Just saying... :/
Haven't seen it, but mention of a black hole or wormhole is a popular tool in many syfy fantasies, as we know so little about them, the filmmakers feel at liberty to make them do whatever they want... without any particulars of course, such as navigation in the unknown, but why let that stop a 'good' story, right? ;)
From the sound of it, the classic hero's journey is in play as he awakens to realize that there just might be more to life than awaiting death to knock on your door, prepared or not.

It would seem to me that in any scenario of rise and fall of civilization, that such forces of control would always exist, so perhaps the lack of an army or police force is just in the mostly rural areas that are left to rot on the vine until something of worth is found out there.... such as knowledge of a new land/world to exploit... and those infamous 'people from the future who live in a higher dimensional space' remind me of the early stories of the conquistadors, imitating gods as they take advantage of the ignorance of other people less prone to empire building than themselves, and these conquistadors did claim, as we do today, to be helping 'save' humanity, as long as 'humanity' is kept in the dark about what's really going on... it's always a question of how you look at it... which side of the fence you are on.... how much knowledge has been lost... yet space travel through wormholes is still possible Is this a meme under development? We could take a look at most films and see what the messages 'from the future' really are... but then that would depend upon one's point of view wouldn't it? One's preference for certain types of data over others. Most of these distopia projects don't have a very good sense of actual history and gloss over all the data and speeds up to the 'human interest' storyline, which is what they are really selling.... but the background data in these films can usually be more interesting than the main characters, though the reviewer I read loved the film, but not the exposition the NASA (Michael Caine?) character was given to reveal to the audience.

The lead actor was in 'Contact' as well years ago, so how does this fit with that puzzle piece? Like most people, actors' roles can be seen as a mirror to their inner life... as they grow up and are presented with choices, assuming they obtain enough clout to do so... something few really do, but even character actors are playing their part, stereotyped usually, but it shows us what piece of the puzzle they represent, same with nations etc. The main storyline never seems to change, just our position in the storytelling as the whole story covers the rise and fall of civilizations, like this one on planet Earth. Does Matthew M.'s role in this film continue that development? It can or most likely does occur unconsciously for everyone until we come to realize WTF is going on as we look back and see the thread, red or otherwise spiralling through our lives. Most actors eventually find their niche or disappear and retire to a more fundamental role in life.

The hero or masonic aspect is a given, no matter which mask he/she is wearing, the Grail Quest is always the same, just a matter of how far the story will take us, sort of like The Hunger Games film series which is about to release another one that utilizes the same hero's journey that reminds me of Star Wars, only in a distopian land that Japanese anime is rather famous for, no doubt due to the terror we released upon them by the end of the last 'Great' war.... America hasn't enjoyed this in recent times, unless the hero's are Native Americans, but that is a harder sell at the box office, same with Asians, etc. The usual problem with this distopian genre is the lack of background, same as Hunger Games, as it seems not much has really changed, just a shrinking down of the status quo to a more reduced empire, but the same players on the stage.

Is there anything of real interest in the film? Anything in the plot line that seems a step or two further in development of the genre, of the Quest? or is it just another repeat in the pattern? Sometimes there will be some little piece of the puzzle newly revealed... same thing as this group is finding in the Caesar as Christ story, or America as the latest Atlantean empire model to be experienced in its rise and fall.... which is looking Oh, so inevitable... can the banksters keep it propped up till the end? Do they or their masters really want to? Shock doesn't give them the feast they desire, so the rug does need to be pulled rather soon if they want the dominoes to fall properly... but I digress, but does the film? Hard to see upon first viewing... unless you recognize the 'masonic' pattern from the start like jsf did, even without seeing the end.... which is actually more telling... how does it end? Has the Pantheon made any progress? Wasn't that the name the C's gave them? The negative pattern is easy to spot in most with the heavy use of violence et al, so this one seems more aligned to the positive orientation. How does it look using that point of view?

Haven't seen the movie yet but one intriguing aspect about it seems to be the visualisation of a black hole. It was modelled employing actual physics, as we currently understand it, and the effect was somewhat unexpected to the scientists.

More on that:
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Looks like the movie was inspired/supervised by Kip Thorn, the author of the most successful book on General Relativity. Nobody have seen a black hole (if you see a black hole, it's not a black hole LOL) so the movie "science" is based on the theory of black holes.
_http://news.sciencemag.org/people-events/2014/11/physicist-who-inspired-interstellar-spills-backstory-and-scene-makes-him?rss=1
Recently there has been some controversy about the theory behind black holes (there is an event horizon, no there isn't, there is a singularity, no there isn't, etc.) and it's not sure which theory the movie is based on. Thorne is said to be about to publish a new book so that will clear the issue. According to the Electric Universe folks, the movie is plainly science fiction because according to them, since most astrophysical phenomena can be explained by plasma physics, therefore black holes do not exist. It's going too far because as long as something hasn't been observed and measured, its existence cannot be excluded, even if the theory behind the possibility of its existence is questionable, which means that it is possible that they exist for another kind of physics.
Regardless of its scientific accuracy, if the storyline is good, so maybe it's worth watching it, especially if the mythological theme of the hero journey is included.

gdpetti said:
Hmmm. If there are no more armies or police forces, how can the 'hero' be taken to a police interrogation? Just saying... :/

Actually, there wasn't any police interrogation, as far as I remember. He was 'interrogated' at the secret base he discovers, but that was neither army or police or anything sinister for that matter. In fact, it is explicitly stated at one point that there are no more armies on the planet.

At one point, he hijacks a drone with his computer and drives it in the back of his truck - and everyone is completely okay with it. They do mention that there is still a government.

Just saw the movie. I think it is really good science fiction movie. I would go has far as calling it a hard science fiction movie because it bases (and not discussing correct or incorrect theories here) it's science on actual knowledge that we currently have. And also all scenes taking place in outer space are sound correct with ... no sound :) In that respect it has a 2001 Space Odyssey flavour.

But the thing that stroke me the most, was the philosophical direction the movie took. You can see the characters discussing about gravity being a force that can traverse dimensions. Love being something real in this dimension of ours, and not just a felling, one character says that Love, is kind of like an artefact from a higher dimension, and that we can sense it, but not totally understand or decode it (it reminded me, of the Love the Sufis talk about).

The are other details that are interesting, but to talk about them, i would have to put a "spoiler alert" at the top of the post ;). So i'll just wait for other people to watch it.

If i remember correctly the C's once said something about the Wachowski brothers films being somewhat inspired by "higher realms", and i think this could be to.

Definitively worth another watch.

I just saw the movie, and while it had many aspects that I thought were great, there were a few flaws that bugged me, mostly as they were unnecessary.

First, they are still using multistage rockets to get to Earth orbit, but then in the rest of the movie apparently have single-stage-to-orbit capabilities, including escaping the gravity well of planets with gravitational fields stronger than the Earth's. This annoyed me, as there was no reason for it ... they could easily have not used a multi-stage rocket at the beginning, and it would have all hung together.

Second, the first planet they go to is far enough inside the black hole's gravity well that time is dilated to the point of 1 hour being 7 years. OK, fair enough ... but this is a VERY strong gravitational field, so it struck me as somewhat incredible that it was even possible for them to get out of that gravity well.

Third, near the end of the movie, when the hero is inside the tesseract created by the 5th dimensional beings/us in the future, his robot companion tells him that they haven't been put there to change the past. But then you see him directly interacting with the past, communicating with his daughter, even giving himself the coordinates of the secret NASA base so that he can go there and get recruited for the mission. This seemed totally inconsistent to me, as clearly he IS changing the past.

One particularly disturbing aspect of the Earth was that everyone you see is from the US. Given that the Earth's population has been drastically reduced, and that resources are tight, you'd think the space mission would be a joint venture of all the national space agencies ... but it's just NASA. So was the war in fact a genocide that wiped out everyone but the US population? The movie doesn't mention this at all, and its silence on the question is rather chilling.

Most of these are quibbles that I wouldn't have if the movie wasn't presenting itself as hard SF, where the genre convention is that any and all violations of physics are prohibited, such that a fantastical tale is told which is, in fact, completely plausible scientifically (of course, it is permitted to use speculative physics that hasn't been fully proven).

On balance, though, it was a good film. The eye candy was stunning. There were a fair number of cute nods to previous films in the genre (2001, in particular). I got a good chuckle out of the dig near the beginning at the Moon-landing-never-happened crowd. Dramatic tension was maintained both by putting the heroes up against the forces of nature, and the human weakness that they bring with them into the outer darkness. The idea that love, like gravity, transcends time, and is a physical force in its own right, was nice to see ... and it was certainly very intriguing that humanity is being helped by our distant, evolved descendants who have transcended time and space entirely. Ultimately the worst thing I can say about this movie is that it wanted to be excellent, but fell just short of excellence, which made it ultimately a bit disappointing as expectations were so high. Still, definitely worth your money and time.

psychegram said:
On balance, though, it was a good film. The eye candy was stunning. There were a fair number of cute nods to previous films in the genre (2001, in particular). I got a good chuckle out of the dig near the beginning at the Moon-landing-never-happened crowd. Dramatic tension was maintained both by putting the heroes up against the forces of nature, and the human weakness that they bring with them into the outer darkness. The idea that love, like gravity, transcends time, and is a physical force in its own right, was nice to see ... and it was certainly very intriguing that humanity is being helped by our distant, evolved descendants who have transcended time and space entirely. Ultimately the worst thing I can say about this movie is that it wanted to be excellent, but fell just short of excellence, which made it ultimately a bit disappointing as expectations were so high. Still, definitely worth your money and time.
I watched the movie yesterday, and I enjoyed it. Though story is 3 hour long, science related, worm holes, black holes etc, the father-daughter strong attachment dynamic, participants emotional priorities/drama interspersed with stunning view of space kept the plot going. What I find it surprising(may be silly too) in the story line is channeling back to his daughter (Though going back and changing the past/future is popular in movies like star trek but channeling back to change is interesting) after entering the black hole to change his 3D future.

Really astounding imagination, used by Nolan to put concepts on a movie screen:
- Talks about Gravity, a force that encompass all reality, and transcend time.
- The love for humanity, and for his daughter, is sent through time, creating Gravity waves, via a shelf full of books...
- ...and so love, light and knowledge?
- Messages sent from the 'future'!
- U.S.A. and NASA flags all over... oops, Ok, that was for selling the stuff, of course.

That was quite a movie, at least at first sight :)

Saw the movie yesterday.
Without going into spoilers, I think if you're reading this comment at the Cassiopaea Forum, will enjoy this movie.

Matthew Mcconaughey's performance was superb. You would need to have a heart of stone (or be viewing the film from 6D) to not shed a tear at some parts of the movie. I think I'm a softie but the emotional scenes really strike a chord/pluck at the heartstrings.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT FOLLOWS
Do not continue reading unless you've already watched the movie!
(spoiler buffer spaces)

How come no one has yet commented with "We are YOU in the future"?!?
Super-luminal communication anyone? :-)

(spoiler buffer spaces)

Many of the concepts in this movie mirror what the C's put forward.

SPOILER ALERT:

The main concept on the movie is humans from the future sending messages to themselves in the past.

Gravity transcending all realms.

Interstellar travel by bending space.

The most unique though being that you can communicate with others in the past to change the future and that it was humans talking to themselves and not "aliens"

Also the hero flies into a black hole and his whole ship gets destroyed but not his space suit, did his body really survive or just his consciousness?

Apparently he was found floating in space near Saturn.

He was also able to focus on sending messages to his daughter and interacting with Brand in the "past".

Either way it was an interesting movie and probably inspired from straight from 6th density.

Back
Top Bottom