Is Hell Endothermic or Exothermic?

ScioAgapeOmnis

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
*note* I have no clue whether this is at all true, it may or may not be, but nevertheless I found it funny: *note*

Dr. Schambaugh, of the University of Oklahoma School of Chemical Engineering, Final Exam question for May of 1997. Dr. Schambaugh is known for asking questions such as, "why do airplanes fly?" on his final exams.

His one and only final exam question in May 1997 for his Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer II class was: "Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with proof." Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

"First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter
hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell
breaks loose.
2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell,
then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true... Thus, hell is exothermic."

The student, Tim Graham, got the only A.
-----------------------------------------------

Taken from: http://www.markjoshi.com/Ashland/Jokes.html

Hi, ScioAgapeOmnis,
you may be interested in reading these articles/letters:

Visit heaven and hell ahead of schedule by Jorge Mira-Perez -
in Nature
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v400/n6746/full/400708c0_fs.html

and

Physics, Bible Used to Reexamine if Heaven Is Hotter than Hell
in Physics Today, vol. 51 (7), p. 96 July 1998
http://aiff.usc.es/~mcjose/links/hell.html

from kevin.davnet.org/jokes.html:

It has long been known that, according to Revelation 21:8, the maximum possible temperature of hell is equal to the boiling point of brimstone, known to chemists as sulfur, which is 445 C (833 F) at normal pressure.

In 1972, an unnamed environmental physicist (Applied Optics 11(8), 1972, p.A14) used some data for heaven (or, technically, the future location of the people of Jehovah) from Isaiah 30:26 for the well-known Stefan-Boltzmann fourth-power law for radiation. The Stefan-Boltzmann equation relates temperature to blackbody radiant energy. From the equation, the temperature of heaven was calculated to be 525 C (1067 F).

For over twenty-five years the implication that heaven is literally "hotter than hell" has been a disconcerting dilemma to both theologians and the laity (see Time magazine, 21 August 1972).

However, reporting in the July issue of Physics Today (p.96), Jorge Mira Perez and Jose Vina from the University of Santiago in Spain re-examined the original calculation and determine that the data had been based on a "seven times seven" translation of the Isaiah verse, rather than the actual "seven times" (sevenfold) intensity. The correct translation was confirmed by Eugenio Romero Pose, the auxiliary Roman Catholic bishop of Madrid.

Therefore, the total radiation from the moon and sun falling on heaven is 8 times greater than radiation falling on Earth from the sun in Isaiah's (and our) time. Using an Earth surface temperature of 25 C (77 F), the corrected temperature of heaven was calculated to be 231 C (450 F).

So the traditional belief is correct -- at 1067 F, hell is definitely much hotter than heaven

Back
Top Bottom