Keyring accessories - "Everyday Carry" concept

Mal7

Dagobah Resident
After spending a few hours getting hooked into watching different Youtube Prepper videos and product reviews, here are 3 products I found that I like. These are light and suitable for the concept of "everyday carry", i.e. you can put them on your set of keys and, though they may not be the ultimate tools because of their small size, when there is an emergency or when you do need a tool, the best one will be the one you have on you.

The total weight of my keyring including the three tools and three keys is 94 grams or 3.3 ounces, which I find is light enough not to feel troublesomely heavy in the pocket.

From left to right across the bottom of the photo, they are:

1. Mini pry-bar, "Boker Plus Titanium Vox Access Tool". Good for prying nails or staples. Having this would avoid the temptation to use the knife as a prying tool, which would likely damage the edge of the blade. Also this has a pointed carbide tip at one end for breaking glass. (You move the black rubber rings to the side to use the carbide tip.)

2. Spyderco Ladybug 3 knife. This is a tiny folding knife, with a locking blade of VG-10 stainless steel that has a blade length (not counting the handle) of 49mm or 1 15/16" long. Available with handles of several different colours. There is also a variety called "Salt" that has an even more rust-resistant blade of H1 steel. But unless you are going scuba diving in the ocean every day, the VG-10 stainless steel is I think rust-resistant enough and also keeps an edge a little better than the H1 steel. Also the "Salt" variety only comes with a yellow handle. The knife comes very sharp out of the box, and is great for opening parcels etc. It is also so small that I doubt if there would be any problems with carrying it in legal jurisdictions where it is illegal to be carrying a knife (although you still wouldn't be able to fly with it as carry-on luggage.)

3. Fenix E05 2014 edition torch. Runs on 1 AAA battery, a commonly available size. Has 3 different power settings. On the most powerful setting, the battery life is only 1 hour, but the light output is surprising bright for such a little torch. On the lowest setting, battery life is 14 hours. Waterproof rating of 2m and drop rating of 1m. The different power settings are obtained by switching the light on and off by twisting the head (it cycles through low - medium - high, or reverts to low if it is over 1 second between turning the light off and then on again.)

Attachments

• keychain.jpg
    keychain.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom