Laura's Book "From Paul to Mark" is out!!!! ... And in French too

Thanks, Palinarus. That was a problem with the Kindle (not the print edition). An updated Kindle will be available to download via Amazon in the next few days with this (and other typos) corrected!

Do we get these updates automaticall? Or how do we know when we can update a book? sorry no too familiar with how the kindle updates this.

Do we get these updates automaticall? Or how do we know when we can update a book? sorry no too familiar with how the kindle updates this.
This question has been answered by Altair in post #279 of this thread.
In short, you have to log in on Amazon and perform some update functions manually for your own Kindle specifically.
Updates will be announced in this thread whenever they have been performed, AFAIK.

Meanwhile, I found another inconsistency in the use of italics at kindle location #17793 in the catena citation:
“Their throats are opened graves; they use their tongues to deceive.” “The venom of vipers is under their lips.” “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.” “Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery are in their paths, and the way of peace they have not known.” “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
It seems obvious that not the word 'their' but the word 'feet' should have been italicized.

I got mine today(hard copy). Must have been a long time, when I last bought a physical book.

Reason I had to get this book is, that I've been reading the Wave series, where history and religion are discussed in a way, that is new to me. Don't know how to describe it, other than that it somehow appears to have a "spark" or "essence".

Earlier I haven't been much interested of religion(s) or history. When I was in primary school, I felt that both subjects were really boring and repetitive.

In adult age, especially lately, there has been an enormous amount of revealing things, that I have read about, mostly from this forum.

Almost every aspect in this world seems to have a smoke screen in one form or another. To become aware of such, at times it feels like mental heavy lifting.

At least in my case, what a great opportunity to gather information, which hopefully at some point starts to form as knowledge.

Beautifully said, Michael B-C, and exactly one of the conclusions I have recently come to, coming in from another angle, as I haven’t read the book yet. I am currently reading a book about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German theologian, mystic and freedom fighter, who participated in the failed attempt to assassinate Hitler, and who - 3 weeks before the capitulation of the German Third Reich - was executed by the Nazis.

That is basically what Bonhoeffer was trying to tell his contemporaries. I don’t want to go off-topic here, so once I finish the book, maybe I’ll write a review in the book section, because already - only about half in - it has had a bit of a life changing effect.
Dude, what are you waiting for? When I got the book, I read the book only and put other reading aside.

Thanks, Palinarus. That was a problem with the Kindle (not the print edition). An updated Kindle will be available to download via Amazon in the next few days with this (and other typos) corrected!
I’ve purchased a Kindle version today, because I‘m going away for a vacation and I don’t want to carry the book.
I noticed that the book doesn’t have an option to scroll down / continuous reading; will that option be included in the upgrade as well?

I’ve purchased a Kindle version today, because I‘m going away for a vacation and I don’t want to carry the book.
I noticed that the book doesn’t have an option to scroll down / continuous reading; will that option be included in the upgrade as well?
I've just started reading the ebook myself this week. But maybe it depends on which app you use to read it as to whether you can progressively scroll the text?

Some time ago I mentioned that I would like to write a review of Laura's book on Amazon, in recent days I have also bought other books for which I spent more than $ 50, but I still cannot write a review. When I try, I get the following message:

"We apologize but this account has not met the minimum eligibility requirements to write a review. If you would like to learn more about our eligibility requirements, please see our community guidelines."

However, in the Community Guidelines I see:

"To contribute to Customer features (for example, Customer Reviews, Customer Questions, Customer Answers, Idea Lists) or to follow other contributors, you must have spent at least $50 on Amazon.com using a valid credit or debit card in the past 12 months. Promotional discounts don't qualify towards the $50 minimum. You do not need to meet this requirement to read content posted by other contributors, or create or modify Profile pages, Shopping Lists, Wish Lists or Registries."

Has anyone had a similar problem?

But maybe it depends on which app you use to read it as to whether you can progressively scroll the text?
I have Kindle app installed on my Samsung tablet and on my iPhone, so I alternate between them all the time.
Tablet is so old that is able to run practically Kindle only and I use it for only that purpose; also because is so old, Kindle cannot update to new versions so I don’t even have continuous scroll option there.
But on my iPhone, I do have that option and it works for every book I’ve read so far, except for (naturally) pdf-s - and now this book. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Maybe it’s something that the publisher needs to include?
Anyway, I only wanted to say I noticed that…

Thank you very much for this wonderful book. It shows the reasoning in a clear and logical way and explains what, where and why at every step. At first I was not convinced of the style in which it was written, but later I was extremely grateful for the whole structure. It reminded me very much of any kind of scientific work. If you know how to read them, you can skip some tedious "investigations" to find the final conclusion drawn from them. The book added to me what I always were looking for in the Christian religion. This overwhelming impression of a lie has finally been made sense. Now, I could say that finally I could separate good from evil without cutting hole witch closed eyes. It's been a great job and thank you very much again! :-)

Thank you very much for this wonderful book. It shows the reasoning in a clear and logical way and explains what, where and why at every step. At first I was not convinced of the style in which it was written, but later I was extremely grateful for the whole structure. It reminded me very much of any kind of scientific work. If you know how to read them, you can skip some tedious "investigations" to find the final conclusion drawn from them. The book added to me what I always were looking for in the Christian religion. This overwhelming impression of a lie has finally been made sense. Now, I could say that finally I could separate good from evil without cutting hole witch closed eyes. It's been a great job and thank you very much again! :-)

Well, after a person spends over ten years reading thousands of scholarly biblical studies books and papers, a certain mode of thinking and writing sort of takes over. However, I did go through the book numerous times making changes that I hoped would make it a bit more entertaining and readable for the non-biblical studies crowd.

But still, it IS a study, a sustained presentation of facts, evidence, and arguments, much like a legal case and that required a certain stringency of approach and exposition.

Well, after a person spends over ten years reading thousands of scholarly biblical studies books and papers, a certain mode of thinking and writing sort of takes over.

Tell me about it.

I used to write fiction and poetry quite regularly. Was pretty good at it too. Then I started focusing more seriously on my scientific career, and the vast majority of what I've written for the last decade has been technical papers.

As an experiment, I recently took blocks of text from my old creative writing, and from my more recent scientific writing, and put them through a Myers-Briggs text analysis engine. Turns out my personality has changed. The results were quite consistent: the creative stuff always gave one result, and the technical material another result.

What you read and what you write really do have an influence on how you think.

Back
Top Bottom