Laura's Chicken Soup

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Laura's Chicken Soup

Cover a whole chicken with cold water. Add a large chopped onion, 6 cloves of garlic crushed, a teaspoon of celery seed or a bunch of celery leaves and salt and black pepper (plenty of pepper). Cook for several hours until the meat is falling off the bones. Turn off and cool. Remove the bones and cut the meat into small pieces. Remove any large bits of fat. Put the meat back in the stock and resume cooking. Add several carrots diced up and when they are tender, toss in a cup or so of rice to make the soup just the right consistency. Add a cup or so of English peas. Add saffron for a nice color.

If you make a good pot of chicken soup, instead of adding rice or noodles, just mix 2 cups of buckwheat flour with 2 rounded teaspoons of baking powder with rice milk, salt and a little olive oil. Drop by teaspoons into the rapidly boiling chicken stock a few at a time. Put a lid on it and boil for about five minutes or until the dumplings are big and fluffy and well cooked inside. Take them out and put in the next round - just enough to float on the top. Cover and cook those and repeat until you have cooked all the dumplings. Then, put them all back int the pot and serve with plenty of soup and meat.

Great way to fight the flue ........This is a staple when i felt the effects of the onset of any virus or cold ..I always made sure that the pot contained plenty of garlic and herbs and well as adding Chile flacks to get the body to boost its ability to fight fever internally ( its what the body does well. is to burn the infection in a fever) .........and plenty of rest .....................a good time to read when confined ..........and contemplate, here , here........................! ;D

I can't do the peppers because they are inflammatory for many arthritics. But I USED to put a bit of cayenne in!

I like this recipe. :thup:

I'm buying a chook this weekend and I'm going to try it again. It's getting chilly down here.

I tried it after Xmas with my left over turkey which works too.

ONE IMPORTANT ITEM WHEN MAKING SOUP THAT I FOUND WAS SLOW, VERY SLOW COOKING (LOW HEAT )......LIKE CROCK POT ENVIORMENT ...... I TRIED NEVER TO LET THE MIXTURE OR THE INGREDENTS COME TO BOIL ...............JUST SIMMMER, KIND A LIKE PERCULATING .......AS IT TOOK CONSTIANT ATTETION, BUT THE REWARDS IN FLAVOR WERE TATSY....................... ;).,

Yes, the Crockpot is a very good appliance.

Best slow cooker pot there is! What we might
also consider is a Crockpot that doubles as
a pressure cooker if there is one to be had?

RONCO@ would probably say: "Throw in the food, set it, and FORGET IT!" ;)

We use it ALOT! My favourite is home-made Chilli.

Every year in March (Ides of March?) , we have corned
beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. In winter, lots of
soup: Potato/Leek, gumbo, mixed vegatable & chicken
broth, and on and on.

Made Quinoa Chicken Soup the other night.

Boiled a whole chicken for 30 minutes in a big pot, then added in the veggies. 1 onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery, 1 small tomatoe, 1 potato, salt and pepper. Boiled it for another 30 min, then left it to simmer for 2 hours. I cooked the quinoa separately. Afterwards I strained it, took out the bones, removed the celery and chopped/mashed the rest of the veggies up and put it back in.

It came out fairly thick, and with the addition of the quinoa on the side, you can put as much or as little as you want based upon desired thickness of the soup.

It needs a bit more of zing to it though, so I'm going to try out the cayenne and garlic mentioned, next time. But it was quick and easy, minus the boiling time and I left it for pretty much 2 hours on it's own.

Hi DanielS,

Cayenne, unfortunately, is now on the Evil List (nightshade) due to further research since the original recipe was posted. :( If you need more zing in the broth, try fresh cracked black pepper or even fresh grated ginger. That should heat it up nicely!

herondancer said:
Hi DanielS,

Cayenne, unfortunately, is now on the Evil List (nightshade) due to further research since the original recipe was posted. :( If you need more zing in the broth, try fresh cracked black pepper or even fresh grated ginger. That should heat it up nicely!

The ginger is also great for upset stomachs, and in a good chicken soup, its the best of all worlds. :D My last batch was dumpling free, but I'm going to have to try that next. (I've been hunting for a gf, egg free noodle recipe, I'm wondering if this would make different shapes? hmmmmm, looks like an experiment...)

Hubby is wanting split pea soup, his favorite winter comfort food. I still have loads of coral lentils, from the time I still thought I could eat them every day. :-[ I'm going to make a batch this week, but may only have a bowl and freeze the rest. :cool2:

I just bought my first organic chicken the other day, and was going to roast it and then make a chicken stock with the carcass. I'd love to try this recipie instead, but there'd probably be too much for me, and the chicken wasn't cheap.

If you make this soup, will it freeze well?

T.C. said:
I just bought my first organic chicken the other day, and was going to roast it and then make a chicken stock with the carcass. I'd love to try this recipie instead, but there'd probably be too much for me, and the chicken wasn't cheap.

Perhaps you would like to consider making the stock, freezing it, freeze any chicken left over from roasting, and then as required put the two together to make soup, adding the vegetables as required. This may give you more options on maximizing the use of the chicken. Or, you could just freeze the chicken soup, above, in zip sealing freezer bags.

T.C. said:

Yes it does. I had to freeze some of a big batch one time last year.

herondancer said:
Hi DanielS,

It may be possible that you could handle the cayenne, if you have tested ok for nightshades. Still I'd be wondering what the capsicum would be doing to my intestines. I used to love (and I mean LOVE) Mexican and Indian food, but after being on the diet for a year, I found I couldn't handle capiscum. <:( It's something everyone would have to test individually, but testing would mean giving your gut a good six months off to get an accurate reading.

Easy, faster, healthy, good taste, yummy yummy.

It looks a lot like the recipe from my mother's creativity.

Back
Top Bottom