Lexapro

J

Joshua

Anyone have any input or experience in taking this SSRI antidepressant;
thoughts, insights, opinions?

Alternatives to SSRI's for dealing with depression?

Thanks

in many (most?) cases, antidepressants are a bad idea. They block the emotional pain and so obscure the problem which is the source of the pain, which then makes it impossible for the suffering person to process and solve the problem.

Then: either that person has to stay on the drugs for the rest of their life, (with the problem forever festering hidden under the surface), OR when they come off the drugs all the pain returns even more heavily, along with the original problem which has worsened by being ignored.

The various antidepressants are always touted as NON-adictive, though in my experience that is generally a flat-out lie. don't know about lexapro specifically, but is certainly true of the infamous 'seroxat'

I guess there may be valid situations for using antidepressants, but I'm not in favour of them.

Alternatives invariably involve facing the source of the pain, and being able to make sense of it/process it, and move on, possibly involving therapy or at least some kind of psychological mirror to enable the person to see what is going on, and to get past their own internal perceptual barriers.

not that I know anything about it... ;-)

Here is a good link:

http://www.guerir.fr/

And if you do not read french, you can choose the american flag and you will have the english version.

I have tried the energy of light ( a lamp that simulate the sunrise) and i love it. I have very good result. I am still using it when i have to awake before the sunrise.

There is an excellent thread here concerning depression - http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=2832

While I do think that very short term use of SSRIs can be beneficial if it allows the person to get on their feet in order to make the changes in their life and thinking that might really remedy the depression, (sometimes you're so deep in the depression hole that you can't see a way to get out) - I also can't recommend their use. It is a complicated subject and each case tends to be unique, so take the measures that you think are best for you. I can say that, personally, gaining as much knowledge about the world we live in and why and how it works the way it does made a much larger difference in my depression than medication ever could.

Thanks, Namaste, anart and sleepyv. All good input of which I appreciate.

Joshua said:
Here are some observations:

1) find the compound that works with the least side-effects (Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) I know somebody who had to try 5 before finding the "right" one.
2) the dosage that is right for you is not necessarily what the doctor prescribes. try lower or higher
3) be ready to possibly part with some mental clarity, energy, etc. One way I have heard it is that the "emotional rollercoaster" is less pronounced (lower peaks)
4) regardless of the brand name/compound it will take about 2 weeks to make a difference and start working.
5) don't skip days for best results (as with any drug)
6) (US only) insurance coverage is tricky. Sometimes there is a generic equivalent (for Zoloft I think). Can be prohibitively expensive when not covered.

I don't know what the your context is, but I would explore other paths first - diet, sleep, exercise, etc. - before going the drug route.

domivr said:
Joshua said:
Here are some observations:

1) find the compound that works with the least side-effects (Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) I know somebody who had to try 5 before finding the "right" one.
2) the dosage that is right for you is not necessarily what the doctor prescribes. try lower or higher
3) be ready to possibly part with some mental clarity, energy, etc. One way I have heard it is that the "emotional rollercoaster" is less pronounced (lower peaks)
4) regardless of the brand name/compound it will take about 2 weeks to make a difference and start working.
5) don't skip days for best results (as with any drug)
6) (US only) insurance coverage is tricky. Sometimes there is a generic equivalent (for Zoloft I think). Can be prohibitively expensive when not covered.

I don't know what the your context is, but I would explore other paths first - diet, sleep, exercise, etc. - before going the drug route.
Hear you on all of the above. Thanks

One option which hasn't been mentioned is supplementation of vitamin B complex (sold as B-complex, B50, B75 or B100 - different dosages of the same mixture.), and/or Omega-3s. I've used both, and I've found the B complex to be the most obviously efficient, though Omega-3s did have an effect. Of course those will not adress the root cause of the problem, but I and other people find it helps us be steadier and less stressed.

On the subject of SSRIs, my experience with them was thankfully limited, but I would agree that they are addictive (Paxil, at least, and from what I've heard & read most/ all of them).

domivr said:
I would explore other paths first - diet, sleep, exercise, etc. - before going the drug route.
In my experience those can be surprisingly effective. Many people (including myself) find it helpful to cut refined sugar and white flour out of our diet, and add fresh fruits and veggies.

Sleeping as much as you need is really beneficial, and so is exercise. A walk (even a short one) is a good way to deal with frazzled nerves.

In the cases I've seen there were emotional/ psychological/ relational root causes, which of course had to be dealt with. It can also be a phase of learning/ growth, such as described in "Depression as a stepping stone".

Everybody is different, and you might find different things help or hurt. Obviously you're the one who knows most about your specific case, and you'll probably have to experiment to find what suits you best.

Thanks Marie. As with the other suggestions I find your input very sound.

Joshua

Have a look for Bach Flower Remedies (GB)or Bush Flower Remedies(australian)from your health-food shop or homeopath .
they can treat a whole range of emotional
problems.
I have found 'Adolesence Essence'for example,
to be a life-server for parents of teenagers.
The remedies work so well that after you have taken
your dose you often dismiss their power
because you feel so diferent now,
you think it could not have been so bad to start with RRR

Joshua,

The following newer thread lists more experiences: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=3894

Hi Domivr,

Thanks for the lookout. I tried Lexapro for 2 days. The drug made me feel so weird right away that I decided
against it. What was interesting was how the doctor and my family members were of the POV " you need to take
it for a while untill it won't make you feel weird". While well intentioned, that advice was so idiotic it really made me
question doctors. Here I am saying my body doesn't like this shit and the doc is saying, take it enough until your
body doesn't tell you that anymore.

Go figure. (grin)

Back
Top Bottom