Lumbago, what advices?

MK Scarlett

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I got a lumbago on the last week, and it maybe was the following of a slipped disc I got around one month ago.
I do not want to try any of the medication doctors could give to me, and I am wondering if anyone of you know something about a natural treatment.

I am waiting for an appointment with my osteopath/acupuncturist, which I should get in the next days. He's pretty good and I am surehe will fix it. But waiting for, I use some specific oil of massage for muscles, and while the slipped disc seemed to be gone, he came back today while the lumbago is now "off" at some point.

It is a kind of surprise for me, because from I went to Paleo diet 36 months ago and KD 18 months ago, my recurrent problem of pain in my back had just disappeared. And now, they are back (back on back :P).

So, I increased my breathing exercices, I try to stay at sun (fortunately it is abundant in France right now) to heat the back and feel less pain. I also increased the quantity of water I drink to help muscles to get more oxygenation. I did not change anything in my diet, except for the last weeks, when I took the use to drink a specific tea/infusion with spices inside. I stopped when I wondered if maybe theses spices could be a kind of cause of the troubles. (In connection with the liver.) Or at least, that they could be linked.

The seated station which I practise rather often is made to me difficult by these back pains, without talk about he fact those pains also prevent me of do things I usually do at home.

Hereafter (and only for information) are the complements I take at this moment:
Vit. D3: 5,000/10,000 iu/day/morning
B-100 Complex: 1/day/morning
Active A with beta-caroten: 25,000 iu/day/morning
Natural Vitamin E: 1,000 iu/day/morning
Vitamin K: 500 mcg/day/morning
CoQ10: 30 mg/day/morning
Hyaluronic acid: 120 mg/day/morning
Magnesium Malate: 4x1,250 mg/day/evening
Potassium Citrate: 99 mg/day/evening
Vitamin C: 5 g/day/morning and evening

And if anything has already been shared about this, please, do anything right to move the thead in the appropriate section, with my apologies.

Hi MKScarlett,

I suffered from lower back pain and slipped disc problems for 10 years. The first couple of years I was on morphine level medication three times a day to manage my job. I then decided that I didn't want to take any more medication and tried more or less any type of rehab, training program, treatments, diets, etc, in addition to the two surgeries that I had. I tried all the suggestions here on the Forum and in much of the recommended health and detox literature but nothing had any lasting effect. However, I know that many other Forum members have had very positive effects from the right supplements and diet so that can definitely help in some cases. I am not saying that it'll be the same for you but just want to give you my perspectives for you to evaluate. If the pain is very acute I have had good results with a magnesium bath as that relaxes the muscles. Also a coffee gave short term relief for me.

Another thing that gave me short term relief was taping. You can see more about it in this thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,18693.msg205562.html#msg205562

What ended up helping me was the work of John D Sarno. Particularly the books called "Healing Back Pain" and "The Divided Mind". The basic premise is that for many chronic pain conditions the cause lies not in the body but in the unconscious. According to the subconscious mind there is something in your life that it really doesn't want you to look at. The subconscious mind then employs a strategy that is to create a physical symptom somewhere in your body where you've had pain previously since you'll be more likely to think "oh, it's that old pain again" than if it was a brand new pain. The physiological mechanism is described in the book in detail but the short version is that the subconscious mind decreases the oxygen supply to the muscles by a very small amount which causes the muscles to cramp and you feel the pain. It's important to state that the pain is not imaginary. The symptom is real. The pain is real. But the cause of the pain is not the body but rather the subconscious mind. Therefore, the solution is not to try to treat the symptom (i.e. the body) but rather to look at what is going on psychologically in your life and recognise that this strategy is being employed by the subconscious mind and that every time we think that the problem is physical we reinforce the subconscious mind in the belief that the strategy is successful.

You can get Dr. Sarno's books on Amazon here (Kindle editions):
Healing Back Pain: http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection-ebook/dp/B00FOTRI4S/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
The Divided Mind: http://www.amazon.com/The-Divided-Mind-John-Sarno-ebook/dp/B000SEHJOI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

Due to my back pains I had had to quit my job and hadn't worked for five years. My prospects were either a part time job or disability pension at age 39, which was quite depressing. It's not the case that my pain is completely gone. I'd say that about 80% of the pain is gone and the rest I can handle with exercises and breathing. Some days are better and some are worse but it's definitely manageable. There have been periods completely without pain but that's not the case very often.

I highly recommend anybody with chronic pain issues to read the books and if the problem isn't back pain, then just substitute your own chronic pain condition for back pain every time it is written in the book. I'd recommend to start with "Healing Back Pain" and then read "The Divided Mind". The last book is kind of the summary of Dr. Sarno's life's work whereas the former is written earlier in his career.

Interestingly, I discussed Dr. Sarno's method with Patrick Rodriguez, who does Sprit Release Therapy (you can read about him in this thread if you haven't already: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33064.msg474327.html#msg474327). Patrick was well aware of the work of Doctor Sarno and agreed with the premise although he viewed many of the problems as coming from spirit attachments that were at work rather than the subconscious min. But the result is the same in the sense that the physical body is not the cause of the problem. Last week I had a SRT session and part of the pain that I haven't been able to get rid of for a long time actually let go the next day so I think that's also one avenue to explore.

I hope that some of this can be of help and I really hope that you can find some relief. Back pain can be debilitating and being in constant pain is very taxing on all bodies - physical, emotional and mental.

:hug:

Edit: Added text

Hi MK Scarlett,

I used to suffer from lumbago since the age of 16, until I found the solution I'll tell you about here. My lumbago was sometimes so bad, that I was hardly able to move or work. A few years ago I was convinced that I had a slipped disc and organized an MRI - which was completely normal. That's when I decided to investigate the problem more in depth.

At this time Laura mentioned Ingraham in relation with breathing in the EE thread, if I remember well, and i had a look at his website. I then purchased his ebook "Save yourself from trigger point and myofacial pain syndrome" (link) and applied his method of getting rid of trigger point pain.

The way to do it is very simple: Take a fairly hard rubber bounce ball (a hard tennis ball works too) and lean against a wall with the ball between yourself and the wall. Or you can lie down on the floor, on top of the rubber ball, placed where it hurts most. Now move the ball around the painful part and massage it slowly, but vigorously. It needs to be somewhat painful to work, it's a strange description, I know, but the pain must be such that it becomes almost "sweet". Do that for about 30 - 60 seconds and if it is trigger point or myofascial pain you will find instant reduction of your pain. At first the effect will only be short-lived, like one or two hours. But then you just repeat the procedure and you will notice that the symptom-free intervall will become longer and longer.

This method has effectively cured me from 30 years of back problems. I now travel with my rubber ball. I still get back-pains now and again, but now I know how to effectively counter them and nip the bud when it is still small.

I am not sying that this will cure ALL back pains, but I think that the vast majority have a strong (and often only) component of trigger point and myofascial pain.

Hope that helps,

Number ONE emergency fixit is TAPING. Hopefully, someone can find the link to the manual here on the forum and put it here. I swear, it is magic. And I am never, ever, without tape anymore. I even take it when I travel. And very often, it is not just the emergency fixit, it actually FIXES it.

Thanks for your interesting messages. I think that both physic and mind way must be explore to relieve the body. The problem is to find the good practitioner and the right therapy. And eventually the right combination of therapies! Not easy. As a back sufferer (but not from lumbago, from the upper part) I have try several therapies. Here's what I know and this can be try:
- bone setter
- structural osteopathy
- soft osteopathy
- acupuncture
- physical therapy (no effect)
- Cayce treatments

Finally a practitioner of soft osteopathy have recently done miracles on my back with cranial manipulations targeting the release of nerves going out the skull and other manipulations. This type of treatment was already done on me several times by others osteopaths but with no such spectaculars effects. So it's not easy to find the right therapist but it can be done, there's a lot of ways to heal.

Cayce have interesting view on lumbago. Here's a summary from the Cayce Health Database:

OVERVIEW OF LUMBAGO

Lumbago, the uncommon name for a very common ailment, affects one out of every four people in the United States. Even more surprisingly, one out of eight of our nation's people loses work time due to this problem. Who would think that low back pain could become so pervasive or so serious?

But the answer to the preponderance of a seemingly simple ailment may lie, according to the information in Cayce's readings, in a misunderstanding of the causes of low back pain. Usually an individual afflicted with low back pain will rack his brain to determine what could have caused a back strain, or what old injury might be making itself felt again. Yet in the 49 lumbago cases for which Cayce gave readings, only once did he trace the primary cause of pain to back strain. In all others he noted that pain was arising in this area from factors increasing the general toxicity of the entire body system, with the resulting toxins settling primarily, in these cases, in the low back regions.

Specifically, in 26 of 49 cases, Cayce stressed poor eliminations, particularly slowed or incomplete eliminations of the colon tract, as the primary cause of the lumbago. In these cases he often described a situation where the body's general lymph circulation (important in the drainage of cell wastes) was slowed, causing an engorgement of the intestinal tract and thus poor eliminations. Or he would mention colon pockets or prolapse ('dropping') of a part of the colon as interfering with elimination and therefore creating a toxic situation.

The second most commonly given cause (13 cases) was due to infection or adhesions in some part of the body. Here the infectious or scarred organ would give rise to an increase of mucous, the body's natural fluid to help soothe irritated tissues and provide a medium for bacteria-scavenging white blood cells; however, the excess mucous would actually serve as a carrier for toxins. Those parts slightly genetically weaker than others would naturally be susceptible first to the spread of the toxic irritation. Cayce named infections in the upper respiratory tract, teeth, and nose (nasal catarrh), or adhesions in the pelvic organs, all as having been initial causes of lumbago.

The third and fourth most frequently given causes, incoordination or unbalancing in the circulatory or nervous systems (5 cases), and overtaxation or overwork (4 cases), were often explained as going hand in hand with the first two causes. In the cases of incoordination it was sometimes difficult to tell which cause actually came first: the unbalancing in these systems leading to general toxic build-up and decreased eliminations, or toxicity creating the circulatory and nervous imbalances. For further discussion of incoordination and unbalancing of the nervous system, see Dr. William McGarey's excellent book, Edgar Cayce on Healing.

Finally, in reading 2533-3, Cayce gave the fifth named cause of lumbago as being "by a wrench or by a fall...".

A seemingly greatly varied and unique collection of treatments listed in Cayce's readings for lumbago become systematic and clear when we examine them from the standpoint of the causes cited for this ailment. The rationale behind the various treatment approaches can be reduced to two primary aims: to detoxify the body, and to balance body structure with the nervous system.

Detoxification was accomplished by balancing the body's chemical system and by removing toxins from the body. Thus many remedies were recommended (overall in these a total of 48 times) which would neutralize acid toxins and encourage a better alkaline-acid balance (usually more alkaline-producing compounds were needed), such as Milk of Magnesia, Eno salts, Castoria, or Syrup of Figs. These would also help increase eliminations since they were natural laxatives. Minute doses of Atomidine, taken in cycles, was another treatment suggested 8 times to promote chemical balance by its renewing effect on the glands of the body. [Atomidine when taken internally should be used on the advice of a physician]. Other remedies taken orally would help remove toxins by chemical attraction as the recommended preparation moved through the alimentary tract and out through the bowel. For instance, Cayce said (348-19), "Bismuth is that which absorbs poisons and Magnesia produces an alkalinity in the system." At times external treatments were also given to facilitate the neutralization and elimination of toxins by local application to the low back area itself. Packs of many kinds, especially hot salt, or castor oil or Camphoderm [equal combination of Mutton Tallow (melted), Turpentine and Spirits of Camphor] were thus indicated (19 times).

The balancing of the body structure with the nervous system was accomplished primarily by spinal adjustments. Adjustments osteopathically or chiropractically, and neuropathically, or manipulations of other kinds, like massage, were the single most recommended treatment (25 times) in the 49 cases. Violet ray over the lumbar area (indicated 11 times) or the use of an electrically-driven vibrator over the whole spine (prescribed 9 times in 3 cases) would also have helped energize the nervous system.

[NOTE: The above commentary was written by Thomas F. Florian, D.C. & Charlotte Lauda and is included in the Circulating File for Lumbago.]
source : http://www.edgarcayce.org/are/holistic_health/data/prlumb3.html

For slipped disc the Cayce recommendation was to use Castor oil. MK Scarlett seems to used it with success some week ago.

Finally for muscles pain, here's the Cayce massage oil:
The simple mixture was usually a combination of equal parts of olive oil and peanut oil plus melted lanolin in the following ratio: two ounces (60 ml) of olive oil, two ounces (60 ml) of peanut oil, one-quarter ounce (7,5 ml = 1,5 tea spoon) of lanolin.

Ellipse said:
Thanks for your interesting messages. I think that both physic and mind way must be explore to relieve the body. The problem is to find the good practitioner and the right therapy. And eventually the right combination of therapies! Not easy. As a back sufferer (but not from lumbago, from the upper part) I have try several therapies. Here's what I know and this can be try:
- bone setter
- structural osteopathy
- soft osteopathy
- acupuncture
- Cayce treatments

If you've never tried taping, do, and then give advice. I suffered from crippling back and neck pain for over 30 years and tried everything; taping is the only thing that gave almost instant relief.

Palinurus said:
The link to the manual: http://laura-knight-jadczyk.com/Taping.djvu

I can't open that link for some reason, is there another active link? :/

Thor said:
Hi MKScarlett,

I suffered from lower back pain and slipped disc problems for 10 years. The first couple of years I was on morphine level medication three times a day to manage my job. I then decided that I didn't want to take any more medication and tried more or less any type of rehab, training program, treatments, diets, etc, in addition to the two surgeries that I had. I tried all the suggestions here on the Forum and in much of the recommended health and detox literature but nothing had any lasting effect. However, I know that many other Forum members have had very positive effects from the right supplements and diet so that can definitely help in some cases. I am not saying that it'll be the same for you but just want to give you my perspectives for you to evaluate. If the pain is very acute I have had good results with a magnesium bath as that relaxes the muscles. Also a coffee gave short term relief for me.

Another thing that gave me short term relief was taping. You can see more about it in this thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,18693.msg205562.html#msg205562
[...]
You can get Dr. Sarno's books on Amazon here (Kindle editions):
Healing Back Pain: http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection-ebook/dp/B00FOTRI4S/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
The Divided Mind: http://www.amazon.com/The-Divided-Mind-John-Sarno-ebook/dp/B000SEHJOI/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
[...]

Hi Thor,

Thank you for sharing your own experiment and your story sounds pretty much as mine. Slipped discs (confirmed by MRI) problems for 22 years. I also have lost my job (2005) when I became deeply depressed because of the pain back and I have tried many ways, morphine directly injected in the back to just take an exemple, without big success until I changed my diet (2011).
So I ordered the two books you have mentionned and I will receive them on tomorrow. Thank you for the links.

nicklebleu said:
Hi MK Scarlett,
[...]
The way to do it is very simple: Take a fairly hard rubber bounce ball (a hard tennis ball works too) and lean against a wall with the ball between yourself and the wall. Or you can lie down on the floor, on top of the rubber ball, placed where it hurts most. Now move the ball around the painful part and massage it slowly, but vigorously. It needs to be somewhat painful to work, it's a strange description, I know, but the pain must be such that it becomes almost "sweet". Do that for about 30 - 60 seconds and if it is trigger point or myofascial pain you will find instant reduction of your pain. At first the effect will only be short-lived, like one or two hours. But then you just repeat the procedure and you will notice that the symptom-free intervall will become longer and longer.
[...]

Thank you nickelbleu for your advice, I keep this technic in mind and as soon as I will get a tennis ball I will try it, maybe when the pain will have a bit decreased.

Ellipse said:
[...]
For slipped disc the Cayce recommendation was to use Castor oil. MK Scarlett seems to used it with success some week ago.

Finally for muscles pain, here's the Cayce massage oil:
The simple mixture was usually a combination of equal parts of olive oil and peanut oil plus melted lanolin in the following ratio: two ounces (60 ml) of olive oil, two ounces (60 ml) of peanut oil, one-quarter ounce (7,5 ml = 1,5 tea spoon) of lanolin.

Yes, thanks Ellipse, and I added some drops of DMSO in the mixture as I cannot get any lanolin at this moment.

Laura said:
Number ONE emergency fixit is TAPING. Hopefully, someone can find the link to the manual here on the forum and put it here. I swear, it is magic. And I am never, ever, without tape anymore. I even take it when I travel. And very often, it is not just the emergency fixit, it actually FIXES it.

Thank you Laura, I ordered the Taping book (in French) http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2915418128/ref=pe_386181_40444391_TE_item and also the 3NS Kinesio Kinesiologie Tape http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B006ZZSHYK/ref=pe_386181_40444391_TE_item. I also will receive them on tomorrow, so I will be able to start the taping pretty soon.

Arwenn said:
Palinurus said:
The link to the manual: http://laura-knight-jadczyk.com/Taping.djvu

Yes the same here. Is the .djvu an usual extension? When I save the file and open it, here is the result:
AT&TFORM DJVMDIRM ö }
7* cb ¦V ÔL EZ †æ ’p ¿œ
° :r {ì ®¶ ú” .¬ @ð g~ ÃV Î úø ! a@ —" b ?ô ~0 Ô ¸ .z :4 fà ” Ö„ ü2 )\ Rö }¬ Œâ ¸X öè

By the way, thank you all for your answers, and I will report here as soon as I get a result in a way or another. ;)

Arwenn said:
Palinurus said:

Hi Arwenn and MK Scarlett,

You will need a .djvu document viewer to open this file.

_http://djvu.org/resources/

If you download and install a browser plugin (browser restart may be needed) it should open when you click the link.

I downloaded the DjVuLibre DjView desktop app and it works for me. Make sure you choose a download compatible for your computer.

In my case I have the desktop app installed and using Firefox, so I would right-click the link and then 'Save Link As...' to download the file. Then open it up in the DjView app.

Hope this helped.

James Henry said:

If you download and install a browser plugin (browser restart may be needed) it should open when you click the link.

I downloaded the DjVuLibre DjView desktop app and it works for me. Make sure you choose a download compatible for your computer.

In my case I have the desktop app installed and using Firefox, so I would right-click the link and then 'Save Link As...' to download the file. Then open it up in the DjView app.

Hope this helped.

Thank you for the information James Henry, that will certainly help!

Arwenn said:
James Henry said:

Hope this helped.

Thank you for the information James Henry, that will certainly help!

Yes I've just done it. Thanks James Henry! :D

I'm sorry to not have checked whether the tape manual link would work for everybody.

I myself had no problems with it because I have IrfanView installed on my computer which does for images/stills what VLC media player does for audio/video formats: it displays virtually every format without delay.

So I didn't notice any problem on my end and subsequently forgot to think about others. :-[

Palinurus said:
I'm sorry to not have checked whether the tape manual link would work for everybody.

I myself had no problems with it because I have IrfanView installed on my computer which does for images/stills what VLC media player does for audio/video formats: it displays virtually every format without delay.

So I didn't notice any problem on my end and subsequently forgot to think about others. :-[

That's fine Palinurus, it perfectly works with http://djvu.org/resources/. Thank you for the link BTW... ;)

James Henry said:

Thank you James Henry!

Laura said:
Ellipse said:
- bone setter
- structural osteopathy
- soft osteopathy
- acupuncture
- Cayce treatments

If you've never tried taping, do, and then give advice. I suffered from crippling back and neck pain for over 30 years and tried everything; taping is the only thing that gave almost instant relief.

Wow, this is something I never hear about it. Very interesting. I used to have lumbago and very hard ones. But they stop when I start to do Yoga. This taping solution is very interesting. Here are pictures about it.

-https://www.google.com/search?q=taping+a+lumbago&rlz=1C1SKPL_enES407&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yOggU_bAHOWw0AXv5oCYDQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=949&bih=405

Back
Top Bottom