Marinades

monotonic

The Living Force
We got some ridiculously large chuck roasts from our grassfed beef source that would be difficult to fit in the crock pot. We have a meat dryer we built that will eventually be used, but according to the person doing that, these cuts of beef may not give good results because of the fat.

So I was thinking about dry curing and marinades. If someone can provide information on dry curing meats, please make a thread on the subject.

I cannot find the the information I was looking for; there was some discussion of marinades and how best to do it somewhere. I found this intriguing post:

Prodigal Son said:
Further results from experiments on pork sensitivity, this time with pork chops. From previous tests these were definitely a no-go food.

Pork chop, as bought from butcher, grilled is now OK, just on the line before going over to being too sensitive for me to eat :thup:; next, marinating overnight in a ‘pickling brine’ (Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer, Maynard Davies) - 10 parts water and 1 part salt by weight – passed with flying colours :rockon:; next, using Laura’s marinade of equal parts of vinegar, oil and water – gave a similar result to non-marinating :thup:; and finally a combination of the two (modified Philip’s Wet Cure in Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen) – used ‘pickling brine’ plus 1/3C salt in approx 1 litre of fluid – passed with flying colours again :rockon:. All marinated overnight.

So it would appear that adding the salt is the crucial element – for me - in that ‘brined meat’ has been shown to harbour fewer populations of harmful bacteria than ‘unbrined meat’. It dehydrates those living things, either killing them or preventing them from multiplying (using salt, and killing them with vinegar (too strong of the latter will toughen up the meat)). Possibly, it’s these ‘harmful bacteria’ that my body objects to.

Onwards and upward, next liver, to see what processes, cutting and methods of cooking are likely to make it acceptable for my body to process (on the basis that it has yet to adapt to digesting liver without any adverse effects).

Can those who know post recipes and instructions for keto-friendly marinades? I'm particularly interested in oil/water/vinegar marinades, anything that will make the meat more tender and juicy, and for working knowledge on how to adjust the basic recipes to include your own flavors and such.

I found references to an oil/water/vinegar/salt marinade on the forum, but I still can't find the source of all the references. I distinctly remember reading instructions somewhere about how much of these to use, how often to flip/turn the meat, and so on, but the discussion isn't coming up in the search results. The sad thing is I expected to be able to find these instructions so I have some neckbones thawed in the fridge that are in need of a recipe.

This article has some useful tips:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7505204_steak-marinating-techniques.html

Back
Top Bottom