Marketing of madness - documentary

dredger

The Living Force
Hi,

I first found this documentary posted on a french blog, odysee link, translated to french, name in french is "Le marketing de la folie (sommes-nous tous fous ?)"
It's a long one, near 3h !
It was posted in June 2022. I searched on youtube and found it, posted ... 11 years before ! it's an old one finally (i think it's from 2010 or 2011)

I figured out such a documentary must exist in english, and i found it, just that it has its own dedicated site and the documentary is divided in chapters/clips that plays one after another. It's name is "The marketing of madness (are we all insane ?)"

I haven't yet watched it ( 😅 ), but from what i listen so far it looks ... well, very good !

I figured out that it was referenced here on the forum, and maybe posted on US sott or FR sott, but i searched on both site, I even searched using google special search dedicated for a website (using : "marketing of madness" site:Sott.net), i even used the super search on sott site ... but found nothing.

Would this documentary have gone under the radar from the community ?

It's about the use of drugs for psychologic issues/troubles. But the easiest way to give a summary is to copy/paste the text added to the first part of the documentary (the introduction one) :

Psychotropic drugging—it’s big business.

This is the story of the high-income partnership between psychiatry and drug companies that has created an $80 billion industry in psychotropic drugs.

But appearances are deceiving.

How valid are psychiatrists’ diagnoses—and how safe are their drugs?
Digging deep beneath the corporate veneer, this three-part documentary exposes the truth behind the slick marketing schemes and scientific deceit that conceal a dangerous and often deadly sales campaign.

Psychiatrists tell us that the way to fix unwanted behavior is by altering brain chemistry with a pill.
But unlike a mainstream medical drug like insulin, psychotropic medications have no measurable target illness to correct, and can upset the very delicate balance of chemical processes the body needs to run smoothly.
Nevertheless, psychiatrists and drug companies have used these drugs to create a huge and lucrative market niche.
And they’ve done this by naming more and more unwanted behaviors as “medical disorders” requiring psychiatric medication.
But should these really be called diseases?
So the question is:
How did psychotropic drugs, with no target illness, no known curative powers and a long and extensive list of side effects, become the go‑to treatment for every kind of psychological distress?
And how did the psychiatrists espousing these drugs come to dominate the field of mental treatment?

There's even some trailers, here a 30s one (clip is 1m but only 30s of trailer) :

And here probably the official normal trailer, 2 minutes :

Quality is high, professional and from what i read and watched so far, they seem to really hate big pharma :whistle:

Here are the links :
Main page of the documentary, with the introduction video of 5m, then once finished, it goes to next chapter, there are 13 in total, which can be useful if you can afford to watch all in a row, you can divide its watching :

For instance, the 2nd part is 17,5m long and it has it's own webpage (direct link) with its own introduction text.
Name of the 2nd part is "Psychotropic Drugs—The story" and presentation text is :

Psychiatrists claim a history of great advances in the area of psychotropic drugs. But is this parade of brain chemicals the “scientific breakthroughs” they assert?
Sigmund Freud’s early drug marketing efforts helped create a major cocaine epidemic throughout Europe.
Psychiatrists next turned to amphetamines until those drugs were discovered to be not only ineffective, but highly toxic and addictive.
Years later, the world was told that “antidepressant” drugs were actually “lifestyle drugs” for a choose‑your‑mood society. Yet within ten years, staggering details of side effects such as violence and suicide could no longer be ignored—with an estimated 3.9 million adverse events on Prozac alone.
Today, the same cycle continues, with breathless news coverage of new chemical treatments promoted as “miracle drugs.”
Two questions remain—where is the science that backs psychiatry up?
And how much longer will the public continue to believe false hopes, hype and outright lies?

So, you can start from the link above or the first link below, here are the 13 links to the 13 parts in order, i added the name of the "sub-part" in the link :

Part 01 - The Marketing of Madness - Introduction
Part 02 - Psychotropic Drugs—The story
Part 03 - All in Favor Say Aye—Psychiatry’s diagnostic manual
Part 04 - Disease Mongering—Selling sickness to the worried well
Part 05 - Psychotropics on Trial
Part 06 - Watchdog—Missing in Action
Part 07 - Marketing to MDs—The Easy Sell
Part 08 - Psychotropics and the Media—A Marriage Made on Wall Street
Part 09 - Marketing to the Masses—Never saw it coming
Part 10 - Mass Marketing—Time for your annual checkup
Part 11 - My Doctor Never Told Me—What psychotropics really do
Part 12 - Addiction and Dependency—Psychiatry creating disease
Part 13 - Picking up the Pieces—What you should do

I also notice, (and i may miss other details) that from the main page (Introduction) of the documentary in english, if you look top-right, there's a langage menu-button, and ... just understood that this documentary was translated (vocally +some sub-titles for some written elements) in many langages ! Look the list :
1673903706399.png
I tested german, italian and spanish ones and yes, i think i recognized the langage ( :thup: ), nice !

As i found it first re-posted on odysee in french, here's the link, the documentary in one single video of 2h57m :

... also found it on youtube :

Site note : it may be interesting to see what the totaly neutral wikipedia says about this organism who created this documentary, named Citizens Commission on Human Rights, or CCHR - but that's another story.

Happy watching & learning 😘

Back
Top Bottom