Melatonin crop circle

Posted on SOTT.net as well. :)

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/245698-Cropcircle-Melatonin-C13H16N2O2

Very interesting. I just was thinking about melatonin. I saw the tread here about but I haven't finish reading it yet. :)

Data said:
Fascinating. Maybe related to what the C's said: "More sleep for everyone!"
Yes very interesting Data, sleep has been found to be related to mushroom bodies, and anatomical changes in neurons that precipitate long term memory ie learning from experience:

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16760980 said:
Sleep is one of the few major whole-organ phenomena for which no function and no underlying mechanism have been conclusively demonstrated. Sleep could result from global changes in the brain during wakefulness or it could be regulated by specific loci that recruit the rest of the brain into the electrical and metabolic states characteristic of sleep. Here we address this issue by exploiting the genetic tractability of the fruitfly, Drosophila melanogaster, which exhibits the hallmarks of vertebrate sleep. We show that large changes in sleep are achieved by spatial and temporal enhancement of cyclic-AMP-dependent protein kinase (PKA) activity specifically in the adult mushroom bodies of Drosophila. Other manipulations of the mushroom bodies, such as electrical silencing, increasing excitation or ablation, also alter sleep. These results link sleep regulation to an anatomical locus known to be involved in learning and memory.

Factor this in with what Laura said in the wave about mushroom bodies and I go hmmm.

A little melatonin and good fun before fall asleep. Whoever did this one, know full well what is worthy of show :P

Pashalis said:
Data said:
Fascinating. Maybe related to what the C's said: "More sleep for everyone!"

from which session is this ?

Session 20 August 2011:

Q: [Moaning and Laughter] (Perceval) People should stop thinking about their own little country, and start thinking about the world as a whole. (L) Okay, I'm tired, and Andromeda's tired. So can we say goodnight? Anything that needs to be said?

A: More sleep for all! Goodbye.

Also, there is this quote from a research paper on the biological and health effects of Radio Frequency Electromagnetic waves in http://cassiopaea.org/2012/03/27/the-wave-chapter-70-you-take-the-high-road-and-ill-take-the-low-road-and-ill-be-in-scotland-afore-ye/

Interestingly, RFR-induced increases in single and double strand DNA breaks in rat brain cells can be blocked by treating the rats with melatonin …

Regarding melatonin, I stumbled upon from 1995, 'Stay Young the Melatonin Way:' by Steven J. Bock, M. D. & Michael Boyette _http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Young-Melatonin-Way-Sleep/dp/0525941150/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338622623&sr=8-2
I looked for the names on the forum but no hit. The first part of the book gives a review although a model 1995 one of the research on melatonin. In the second part he lays out what he calls the melatonin method. Basically it is a number of suggestions how to adjust diet and lifestyle to optimize the melatonin production and melatonin levels in the body. A main point for him is a regular daily routine so that one does not upset the internal clock of the body.

Very very interesting indeed.

But one thing to mention is that there is no distinction between the carbon atoms and the two nitrous atoms as opposed to hydrogen and oxygen which are clearly distinct.

Also, the C=O double bond isn't represented in the amide group.

The circles at the center of the benzene and pyrrole rings could represent the aromatic nature of these groups (conjugated bonds).

That might be nothing but that's the sort of detail that could be important. You guys tell me what you think.

JayMark said:
Very very interesting indeed.

But one thing to mention is that there is no distinction between the carbon atoms and the two nitrous atoms as opposed to hydrogen and oxygen which are clearly distinct.

Also, the C=O double bond isn't represented in the amide group.

The circles at the center of the benzene and pyrrole rings could represent the aromatic nature of these groups (conjugated bonds).

That might be nothing but that's the sort of detail that could be important. You guys tell me what you think.

Actually, if you look at the bottom molecule in the 5-membered pyrrole ring, where the nitrogen would be, it's sort of out of phase with the other carbons in that ring (the ones that aren't part of the benzene ring). The two adjacent carbons going counter-clockwise have an uncleared portion facing the inside of the ring whereas the nitrogen has a cleared out portion facing the inside of the ring. Similarly, all of the carbons in the benzene ring have the cleared out portion facing the outside.

Also note that at the amide group the light/dark contrast is flipped again relative to the nearby carbons, and there is only one small circle (H) in orbit around the nitrogen (the other carbons prior to the nitrogen in the side chain have two Hs and two carbon bonds, the nitrogen has two carbon bonds and one H bond; this satisfies the octet rule).

Thank you Resistense. Do you suspect your noted differences might be why the crop circle was done : too possibly let us know how to properly synthesize melatonin ?

Back
Top Bottom