Milankovitch Cycles

Ellipse

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Several parameters of the Earth position regarding the Sun vary across the history. I guess that with this combined to cosmic influences and the sun power fluctuations we have a complex model of the earth climate.

Here is a video explaining Milankovitch Cycles:

https://youtu.be/PFfwIOzVlh8

1. Milankovitch's theory was more or less ignored until 1976
2. Studies of deep-sea sediment cores demonstrated a correspondence between periods of climate change and the Milankovitch cycles
3. Examination of temperature changes going back 450,000 years disclosed that major variations in climate were closely associated with variations in the Milankovitch cycles
4. In particular, the cycle of Ice Ages closely matched the theories of Milankovitch.
5. The cycles do not explain everything, and some inconsistencies remain to be explained

Mapping the Milankovitch Cycles to Climate Change.

Attachments

• Mapping the Milankovitch Cycles to Climate Change.jpg
    Mapping the Milankovitch Cycles to Climate Change.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 69
According to this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztninkgZ0ws we are in a long, stable, low eccentricity phase. So climate should not change soon according to this theory. Of course the solar activity is forgotten and I don't understand how they are anyway, able to find a match between the theory and the past of the planet. :huh:

There's an interesting comment:
How did I miss this one?! As a geologist, I would like to complement you on the geologic history.
Although you could have done a better job explaining the glacial cycles only apply to the Quaternary ice ages. Normally Earth is a warm planet and doesn't even have ice caps, let alone ice ages. Also, something had to trigger the Quaternary ice ages to begin with that had nothing to do with astronomical cycles. If you back 25 million years, we didn't even have ice caps. Geological reasons likely set the stage like the joining of North and South America. With each Quaternary glacial cycle, it has been getting colder but the glaciers aren't making it as far as they did 200,000 years ago.

Another person say:
There is a lot of evidence that the ice core record of CO2 is wrong.
Never heard about that before.

Attachments

• Eccentricity.jpg
    Eccentricity.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom