'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

Some of my cousins live in Marmet which is next to Dunbar.
OK - I don't wish to highjack this thread detailing the geography of my home state, so I'll try to make this short and sweet:

Sutton Lake is a 1,520-acre (6 km2) reservoir on the Elk River in Braxton and Webster counties, West Virginia. It flows into the Kanawha River right in the heart of Charleston. There was a terrible chemical spill into the Elk in Jan. 2014, that left thousands of valley residents without clean drinking/bathing water. The Kanawha Valley is home to Dupont, Union Carbide, and Monsanto with plants ranging up and down along the Kanawha river with a large plant in the heart of Charleston itself. The Union Carbide plant downstream at Institute - which is adjacent to Dunbar - produced the same chemical that killed at least 3,787 people in Bhopal, India. Marmet is upstream of Charleston and between Dupont City and the Dupont plant in Belle, WV. See: Marmet
The Kanawha river flows into the Ohio river at Point Pleasant. One can see barges loaded with coal being transported on this river pretty much all the time.

There's a sizable Indian mound in the heart of South Charleston (the Carbide plant is right there along the river). As a child, we were told that there were Indians buried inside it. However, the citiz

[Keyboard malfunction posted before ready/tried to correct but time ran out - maybe moderator can remove the partial post above]

Some of my cousins live in Marmet which is next to Dunbar.
OK - I don't wish to highjack this thread detailing the geography of my home state, so I'll try to make this short and sweet:

Sutton Lake is a 1,520-acre (6 km2) reservoir on the Elk River in Braxton and Webster counties, West Virginia. It flows into the Kanawha River right in the heart of Charleston. There was a terrible chemical spill into the Elk in Jan. 2014, that left thousands of valley residents without clean drinking/bathing water. The Kanawha Valley is home to Dupont, Union Carbide, and Monsanto with plants ranging up and down along the Kanawha river with a large plant in the heart of Charleston itself. The Union Carbide plant downstream at Institute - which is adjacent to Dunbar - produced the same chemical that killed at least 3,787 people in Bhopal, India. Marmet is upstream of Charleston and between Dupont City and the Dupont plant in Belle, WV. See: Marmet

The Kanawha river flows into the Ohio river at Point Pleasant. One can see barges loaded with coal being transported on this river pretty much all the time.

There's a sizable Indian mound in the heart of South Charleston (the Carbide plant is right there along the river). As a child, I believed there were Indians buried inside it. However, the citizens are OK with decorating it with strings of red Christmas lights and a large white light multi-star on top every December. It's pretty but not appropriately reverent if bodies are indeed inside the mound. Not sure about that.

Second husband's career took me and children out of WV in 1985, to Hershey, PA. The smell of chocolate beats chemicals any day of the week! My children have expressed gratitude for leaving WV believing they had brighter futures as a result. Nonetheless, us natives tend to forever miss those 'wonderful hills'.

Last edited:
Second husband's career took me and children out of WV in 1985, to Hershey, PA. The smell of chocolate beats chemicals any day of the week! My children have expressed gratitude for leaving WV believing they had brighter futures as a result. Nonetheless, us natives tend to forever miss those 'wonderful hills'.

So many coincidences, my daughter and family lived in Palmyra next to Hershey, PA until recently.
I suppose we add a little more personal touch to the Braxton story but as you say we don't want to side-track the thread. It is a kind of "strange" co-incidence to find others here with so many parallel experiences. I have learned a few more details about that area from what you posted. I knew about all the chemical plants along the Kanawa river but not about the Monsanto one.

Also, I didn't know about the Indian mound in South Charleston (have a cousin there too). All in all WV has natural scenic beauty but economically it has it's challenges. Many of us have migrated to other states due to the economy there but still love the state and the people who make it unique. My mother's family draws me back for a reunion at the Fayette county community park near the New River Gorge Bridge every year.

I too had crossed the Silver bridge at Point Pleasant, WV many times before it fell. The Mothman story means a little more to some who have lived near the area. There are some strange things in this world and I am sure there are other experiences that others may apply to various threads as we go along.

It would seem that the two ufos that diverted off in the direction of Wright-Patterson AFB and Oak Ridge National Lab did so with retaliation in mind, but must have been called off by their superiors, or so it seems.
In giving this more thought, a more likely scenario is that those two craft were continuing their mission to surveil those locations and/or engage in what amounts to a cat toying with a mouse by these 'cosmic jokers' as Keel labeled them. When command central comprehended that the 'mice' could now inflict some real damage, the mission was aborted. I really doubt that an attack was ever intended as it would be counter-productive to the overall plan.

There's a sizable Indian mound in the heart of South Charleston (the Carbide plant is right there along the river). As a child, we were told that there were Indians buried inside it. However, the citiz

Speaking of relic artifacts left from previous civilizations, here's one from the area I grow up in, and on. It's found in bay area, in California, within Alameda county.

It's stone wall starting at and on the hill's of Berkeley, stretching to a San Jose, (again in the foot hills).

KQED is a beast channel. It has very little information that rings the tone of truth, (though there was a time, when it did). But that's another subject. The guy at the end made laugh.

The Real, True Story of the Mystery of the East Bay Walls
Comes with script

Snip 14-18 minute Read:
Although tribes native to the Oregon area were long aware of the mystique and, at times, the dangers of Crater Lake, it wasn’t until 1853 when John Wesley Hillman would bring news of this enigmatic stretch of water to the wider the world. According to researcher and author, Brent Swancer, Hillman was “the first white man to ever lay eyes upon the lake” and was instantly mesmerized by it, referring to it initially as the “Deep Blue Lake”, a proud and enchanted body of water near Mount Mazama, part of the mysterious mountain ranges of the west coast of the United States. The intense blue waters are remarkably calm. So much so, they almost act as a mirror when gazed upon.
The Early Legend Of The Hillman Search
The Extremely Strange Death Of Mr. Cornelius
Intriguing Connections To California’s Mount Shasta
Truly Bizarre Disappearances
As If He “Simply Melted Away!”
“Lose Not Thine Airspeed, Lest The Ground Rise Up And Smite Thee!”
Strange Lights, Bigfoot Creatures, And Secret Government Agents!

The Cryptozoology Of The Inner World?

The video below, from the late-1980s, looks at Crater Lake and the surrounding area a little further. Most definitely one of the most bizarre, active, and darkly intriguing areas on the planet.

“The Old Man of Crater Lake” and 10 More Creepy True Stories! #WeirdDarkness
Run Time / 39:03

Friday, May 10, 2019
Sightings of a bigfoot alleged recently at Sutton Lake in central West Virginia may have a historic precedent.

Old news clippings that refer to a wildman, and more recent stories of an ape-like creature, at least imply that the region is a fertile ground for such tales.

The county at the very center of West Virginia is coincidentally home of the legendary Flatwoods Monster, also known as the Braxton County Green Monster, the legend of which attracts many tourists to the region.

According to Andrew Smith, executive director of the Braxton County Convention and Visitors Bureau, rumors of a bigfoot have been circulating in recent months and have even inspired one bigfoot researcher to post video of a lakeside hunt online.

“We’ve heard of an uptick in reports near the lake,” says Smith, who attributes the county’s wealth of monstrous encounters in part to its dark skies and deep forests.

“I’d actually say the reason for so many strange sightings is multi-fold. Braxton County is a pretty large geographic area, but only a small portion is populated and developed, so there’s a lot of empty space, and there’s a lot of area that hasn’t been seen by humans lately, apart from hunters, and, then, not all the time.”
Update: Bigfoot rumors boosting travel at central West Virginia lake

2019-05-04 Run time 1:03:26
. In addition to co-hosting the History Channel TV series Missing in Alaska, Ken has appeared in three episodes of the television series Monster Quest and is featured in the History Channel special The Real Wolfman, as well as other series including Ancient Aliens (History Channel), True Monsters (History Channel), Unexplained Files (Science Channel), Legend Hunters(Travel Channel), Paranatural (National Geographic), Weird or What? with William Shatner (Syfy),Monsters and Mysteries in America (Animal Planet), True Supernatural (Destination America),Ultimate Encounters (TruTV), Monster Project (Nat Geo Wild) and Shipping Wars (A&E). His credits include appearances on numerous news broadcasts and radio programs like Coast to Coast AM, as well as being featured in articles by the Associated Press, Houston Chronicle and Tampa Tribune.Ken is an author and has contributed to trade publications including Fate Magazine. He currently lectures and exhibits at various conferences and events across the United States. An avid adventurer, he has camped along the Amazon, explored the Galapagos, hiked the Australian Outback and has visited many ancient and mysterious sites, from Machu Pichu to Stonehenge. He is currently appearing on the Travel Channel's 'In Search of Monsters.'

Alors attendez et voyez!
Parents of missing Hawaii hiker last seen on Maui trail offer $10,000 reward
May 13 2019

Search dogs lost the scent right off the get go!

What challenges surround Makawao Forest Reserve when searching for Amanda Eller?
May 14, 2019

New developments: Amanda Eller
May 14, 2019

Central Sierra Nevada Search and Rescue
News – 3/16/2019 Dated Never Found
Search for Missing US Marine in Central Sierra Nevada Moves to Limited Continuous Mode

CENTRAL SIERRA NEVADA, Calif. March 16, 2019 – A massive multiagency search in the Sierra Nevada has been underway for more than a week to locate missing U.S. Marine Corps 1st Lt. Matthew Kraft, a 24-year-old man from Washington, Conn. Kraft set out on a solo ski and hike trip on Feb. 24 with an itinerary to complete the 195-mile Sierra High Route on March 4 or 5. Beginning today the search operation will transition into a limited continuous search status until Kraft is found.

On March 4, Kraft’s father contacted Mono County Sheriff after not hearing from his son. Mono County Sheriff’s Office began checking area that day. Cell phone forensics initiated by Mono County Sheriff showed that his last phone activity was in the Independence area, in Inyo County. Inyo County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue began a search on March 5. The evening of March 8, Kraft’s vehicle was located at the Grays Meadows campground above Independence, Calif.

Backcountry snow instability and weather issues, including high winds, have been a significant challenge for search crews. Both aerial and ground searches have identified avalanche activity, cornices, and snow bridges throughout the wilderness, including along the Sierra High Route. The search zone has been determined to be larger than the state of Rhode Island and consists of the 195-mile Sierra High Route as well as multiple points of potential exit.

Aerial reconnaissance and ground teams have been deployed to the search area; however to date there have been no substantiated clues that link Kraft to any particular search area.

Additionally, aircraft with thermal and night vision imagery capabilities have been flying the route and while several points of interest have been identified – all have been investigated and determined to be animal related. Search crews also employed RECCO technology, an electronic device to find people buried in an avalanche.

Search and rescue authorities have been unable to locate evidence of Kraft’s location along his planned route.

The Marine Corps, along with the other assisting agencies, will continue to stand by and support Kraft's family, friends, and Marines during this difficult time.

Agencies assisting throughout this search include U.S. Marine Corps, Mono County Sheriff, Mono County Search and Rescue, Inyo County Sheriff, Inyo County Search and Rescue, Madera County Sheriff, Fresno County Sheriff, Tulare County Sheriff, Los Angeles County Sheriff, Sequoia and Kings National Parks, Yosemite National Park, CHP H-80, CHP H-40, Air National Guard, Sierra Madre Search and Rescue Team, Bay Area Mountain Rescue Unit, China Lake Naval Weapons Base, and California Office of Emergency Services.

This is the final news release about this search and rescue operation, unless new information becomes available.

Beginning Monday, March 18, InciWeb, the Incident Information System being used to relay regular updates, will go into inactive status, meaning updates will no longer be posted, but the page will remain accessible to anyone wanting information about this search.

For more information about this search please visit: Central Sierra Nevada Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System
If you were in the search area on or around Feb. 23, and you think you might have seen Kraft, please call 559-565-4286.

ThinkerThunker discussing another recent case of a boy that went missing and was found on "a 50-foot, steep incline, 1,755 feet away from his home [...] clinging to a cliffside " about 3 days later.

Bigfoot Snatching Children? Kentucky Toddler Found Alive

Something out there is abducting people. Call it a Bigfoot, call it a man in a monkey suit, call it an angelic bear, call it anything you want. But it's big, furry, has thumbs and a keen interest in humans. Specifically cute, little human kids. Then after about three days gets tired of them and let's them "be rescued." Often dropping the abductees off in a previously searched area. Something out there.

A story on it can be found here.

All emphasis and connections via Yahoo
Amanda Eller, a 35-year-old yoga instructor and physical therapist from Hawaii, went missing during a hike in Maui on Wednesday, May 8. Eller, who is an avid runner and hiker, was last seen by her boyfriend that morning around 7:30 a.m. at her home in Haiku, HI, before she left for Makawao Forest Reserve, a place she often visited.

She was reported missing on May 9, the Maui Police Department said in a Facebook post. Eller’s Toyota RAV4 was found by police in the Makawao Forest Reserve’s parking lot that morning at around 9:50 a.m. Eller's wallet, cell phone, and car key were found in her car, and it was stated that it was normal that she would leave her cell behind.

Eller is said to be approximately 5 feet 9 inches tall and 145 pounds with an athletic build. She has brown hair and brown eyes.

Friends and family worry there was foul play.

Eller’s family and friends worry that the hiker is either lost, hurt, or worse, according to an early flyer. “Generally speaking, it’s highly likely she’s lost or injured in this forest, and it's equally as likely that she was intercepted by someone in the parking lot or on her run,” Sarah Haynes, the family’s spokesperson who is leading the volunteer search party, told Maui News. “As the days go by, and more and more people are in the forest, we get closer and closer to foul play.”

Despite immense search efforts made by the fire department, police, and a volunteer search team of hundreds, Eller is still missing as of Thursday, and no evidence has been uncovered explaining what happened to her, according to Maui Now. The volunteer search team plans on continuing the search until Eller is found.

Amanda Eller’s boyfriend is not a suspect.

Benjamin Konkol, Eller’s boyfriend, was the last person to see her on the morning of May 8. At a news conference on the evening of May 12, Konkol said it had been her day off and that she didn’t have plans, according to Crime Online. Eller was meditating when Konkol last saw her. “She really likes to be alone in nature, too…so it’s not unlike her to do that,” Konkol said. “The moment that she did not arrive home at night, I knew something was wrong. It did not feel good in my body.”

A Facebook post by Haynes stated that Konkol is not believed to be connected to his girlfriend’s disappearance. “It pains me to even have to say this. People are asking about her boyfriend since he was the last one to officially see her, and of course those closest to her are looked at,” the post read. “The family and Amanda's friends do not feel that Ben is at all connected. For starters, he is a very sweet person and they had a loving relationship. He has been working on my property and I have always known him to be kind, helpful, and of the highest integrity. He is a gentle, sweet soul. Additionally the park is locked with a steel gate overnight and her car arrived after they opened, when he was at work.”

Eller’s grandmother, Ann Eller, told RadarOnline.com that Konkol was questioned and polygraphed. The elder Eller said the boyfriend was cleared by police and is currently not considered a suspect.

Where Amanda Eller was last seen the day of her disappearance.

Surveillance footage shows that Eller went to the store at 10:11 a.m. the day of her disappearance to buy Mother’s Day gifts and mailed the package at the post office at 10:21 a.m. On Monday, May 13, Eller’s parents’ pet sitter received the package, according to an update on the Find Amanda Facebook page. The post said that the shipment “was filled with beautiful items and a lovely letter which included Amanda’s love for her family and excitement about her future.”

A second hiker is missing in Maui.

On Monday, May 20, local police announced that Noah Mina, a 35-year-old man, has also been reported missing; Mina was last spotted hiking in a forest in Maui County. According to a Facebook post by Maui 24/7, Mina was hiking in the area of Kapilau Ridge Trail in Wailuku — meanwhile, Eller had parked her car at Kahakapao Trail in Maui. The two missing persons are not believed to be lost in the same forest.
According to Maui Now, Mina’s family issued a statement asking the public to refrain from participating in the search because of “treacherous and dangerous conditions.”

The Eller family is offering a $10,000 reward for anyone with information about Eller’s disappearance or whereabouts. They are also urging people to contact Maui Crime Stoppers at 808-242-6966 or Haynes at 415-336-4591 with any leads. The family has also set up a GoFundMe page to help fund the search efforts.

Missing hiker in Maui, Noah Mina is still missing
KHON2 News Published on May 23, 2019
This case is unrelated to the Amanda Eller hiker case

Back
Top Bottom