Movie Code 46

Joan

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
This is a movie that was produced 2003 and stars Tim Robbins ( a husband of Susan Sarandon at one point, so I understand. The movie, is set in the near future, I will post the Wikki entry, yes it's a spoiler, but the movie is poorly executed, and in my opinion does not even rate a real B move. But given what we are experiencing at this time during this COVID nonsense, I think the story line is relevant. I find it somewhat frustrating, the plot could have been expanded with a more thoughtful and intelligent director to flush the nuances of the script.

So if anyone wants to watch the movie, I think reading the Wikki blurb of the movie maybe helpful when watching which is available on a Ytube, link below. BTW the Code 46 relates to DNA and Chromosomes.

From the Wikki entry of the movie plot

Some snips quoted from the Wikki plot of the movie

It is a dystopic science fiction love story exploring the implications of current trends in biotechnology. Keeping in mind that the premise and these concepts were in all probability well known, 17 years ago.

In the near future the world is divided between those who live "inside", in high-density cities, and the poor underclass who live "outside." Access to the cities is highly restricted and regulated through the use of health documents, known as "papeles" in the global pidgin language of the day (composed of elements of English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Italian, Farsi and Mandarin).

Most city residents venture outside only after dark since direct sunlight is now considered hazardous to their health (UV rays can cause melanoma). Shades of the Global Warming Stick

However, a few residents still venture outdoors during the day. The government appears to be authoritarian and dystopian. Society is regulated by various "codes". The code of the movie title prohibits "genetically incestuous reproduction", which may occur as a result of the various medical technologies which have become commonplace, such as cloning.

William Geld, an insurance fraud investigator, is sent to Shanghai to interview employees at a company known as "The Sphinx", which manufactures "covers", ostensibly "insurance cover documents" but which in fact regulate the movements of people among cities and "inside" and "outside". William's assignment is to identify employees who are suspected of forging "covers". After interviewing numerous Sphinx employees, he identifies a young worker named Maria Gonzalez as the forger. He is able to do this using a genetically engineered "empathy virus," which allows him to gain information from people if they voluntarily reveal something about themselves.

Maria shows William her "memory scrapbook" (an electronic booklet that records video from the user's mind), which contains memories of her parents and friends. Other movies show her passing papeles to various people. She thinks they are beautiful and their eyes are full of desire and dreams, and that they have a different look from "everyday" people.

They develop a sexual relationship, which results in a pregnancy. They are a genetic match, due to cloning technology and IVF.

I could add further, but don't want to spoil the plot for anyone that wishes to view the movie. One clarification regarding some of the language used in the movie, regarding common terns of address in some languages today.

This from Wikki at the end of the entry

Characters in Code 46 frequently use words from a number of languages, especially Spanish, combined with English to communicate with each other. For example, the characters use the Mandarin Chinese "Ni Hao" (你好)for greeting each other, the Spanish "palabra" for "password" and "afuera" for "outside" (exiled), the Basque word "agur" for hello, and "Khoda Hafez" being Farsi for goodbye. There are also words in Italian (e.g. "ti amo", I love you), in French (e.g. "à bientôt", see you soon), and Arabic traditional greetings like "As-Salamu Alaykum" (السلام عليك; "peace be with you", but generally meant as "hello"). The idea is to portray a society that is not only multi-ethnic but also characterized by language fusion with expressions coming from the dominant languages of our present and those that are going to be dominant in our future, this movie was produced in 2003

I thought that was interesting. BTW, the Ytube movie has Spanish subtitles, or that is the appearance to me.

Back
Top Bottom