Murder on the Orient Express revisited

Voyageur

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
At the risk of being nostalgic and enjoying a good detective yarn now and again, this is old story in new cloths that was revisited. For those who are well acquainted with Agatha Christie not a great deal needs to be said - these were the books that kicked around well before I fist read from them when growing up. A number of films were made of them and this one, the 'Murder on the Orient Express' is a revised version (1974) and provides the backdrop of the skilled detective, Hercule Poirot. For those possibly not familiar, I'll add no spoiler in this whodunnit.

Agatha wrote the book, or it was produced I think in 1934. Agatha had also ridden on the Orient Express in 1928 which inspired the setting to become expressed in her novel years later.

Not being a good critic of films (but some critics I've added), a couple of things nonetheless stood out as follows;

Hercule Poirot was played by Kenneth Branagh, who also directed the film. I thought he did an excelled job with the character throughout the revised firm. This Belgian detective character was pivotal to Chistie's stories and this Branagh seemed to play him well, IMO.

The cast included Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley and then some.

The costumes and antiquities (vintage of the 30's) seemed very convincing with good detail.

The cinematography was great offering up nice landscape vistas, film angels, and of course inside/outside the Orient Express itself.

If the film is sourced from a DVD, and if it has a partition of 'extras' that can be selected, there were two sections whereby Agatha's family was interviewed, including voice recordings of Agatha explaining some things. Agathe even describes the Belgian detective's famous mustache in this section, which in this film they played around with extensively. In these sections a most remarkable recounting of Agatha's life is told and she did not have it easy for many years. I think they said that over all the years since, her books have sold 2 'B'illion copies - amazing really. So, this section is worth catching if possible.

Anyway, it was a last minute pick that I was not even aware that the film had been remade. I'll go out on a limb and recommend it, although some real critic were not so recommending with statements such as "a needless remake" or "Poirot's fussiness ... into obsessive compulsive tendencies" was "less distinct and, ultimately, less interesting" - One guy, Matthew Jacobs (HuffPost) "was impressed by the cast, but ultimately felt "Agatha Christie's whodunit has no steam.." The film rated 58% on one system or a B from a A - F scale on another. There were some good reviews too.

Here is a trailer:

https://youtu.be/Mq4m3yAoW8E

MOTOE is a very entertaining movie for all the reasons you describe. The pace of this film allows the viewer to enjoy the great scenery and period setting effects as the suspense builds,
providing a relaxing and fun experience--which, I believe, is the point for going to the movies and getting away from it all. Many (most) film critics, like critics in all the arts, IMHO take their art and themselves
too seriously (job protection I suppose). Not every film has to be a masterpiece of production to serve its purpose--to entertain the masses and therefore make money (propaganda and conspiracy agendas aside.) 4 thumbs up

In these despicable but learning times I am sure that many, like me, will enjoy the new Agatha Christie series on Iplayer which started last month. There are 3 episodes so far and very insightful into the life of Agatha Christie and what inspired her writing and getting behind the mind of the lady into how she wrote.

I am absolutely enjoying most crime dramas atm as I have mentioned in previous posts. However, I think it is important to get into the minds of great writers, as well as their lives, into what they observed about human nature and how they portrayed it from a totally different perspective from normal psychological expectations.

Being able to enjoy the journey into her life and archives ,as well as actually hear from living relatives for hers, including revisiting the historic houses which set the scenes in her novels is absolutely fascinating. And I believe we can only benefit from studying how and why such novels became best-sellers and the genius, true life situations that were behind their creations (not forgetting as spirit there is also an historic. past life experience that may also be seeping through into the works).

The series can be found here:

Lucy Worsley On the Mystery Queen - Cat Among The Pigeons.
Enjoy :-)

Interesting. The only problem, for me, is Penelope Cruz, I don't like her AT ALL. The actor and director that plays Hercule Poirot, the best detective in this planet, (yes indeed I agree), is a good actor and I like him. He played the police inspector Kurt Wallander based on the Henning Mankell novels. A very good series, by the way, and also the novels are excellent.

Maybe this movie is also excellent!

Could be better without Johnny Dep. I am his fan but that was not role for him. Anyway, worth watching, if nothing else, than for Kenneth Branagh performance.

Back
Top Bottom