The "Mandela Effect"- Has my Bible changed? Or do I just have a bad memory like most people?

Confabulations are very common with clinically normal people, I think.

More than that, confabulations or fabrications are the standard operating procedure for the vast majority of people. People are 'strangers to themselves', literally. The subconscious relays an unconscious need, often called a 'feeling' or an 'emotional drive' which can be based on all manner of experiences in the person's personal history. The need is usually self-serving in one way or another. The conscious mind then fabricates a narrative to explain, in terms that make us look as 'shiny' as possible, why we "really" did what we did or said what we said. Most people are bystanders in this kind of charade that plays out inside them every day of their lives.

Since this thread seems to be where most comments about the 'Mandela Effect' have ended up, I decided to add my comments.

The Moonraker Dolly scene for me was the wake-up. I had braces and so did she. There were a few other things, but largely related to names and popular culture. Then I stumbled over 'The Rock of Gibraltar'. It used to be an island at the mouth of the Straights of Gibraltar - now it is a peninsula attached to the coast of Spain and sits well within the Mediterranean, past the Straights.

I've known people that took the ferry out to the 'Rock' and another person that used to fly helicopters out to the Rock. Here's a video of a bloke that remembers the Rock just as many others do, about half-way between Spain and Morocco and more to the Atlantic side. He waffles on a bit, but the important part is between 4:20 and 7:15.

Since this thread seems to be where most comments about the 'Mandela Effect' have ended up, I decided to add my comments.

The Moonraker Dolly scene for me was the wake-up. I had braces and so did she. There were a few other things, but largely related to names and popular culture. Then I stumbled over 'The Rock of Gibraltar'. It used to be an island at the mouth of the Straights of Gibraltar - now it is a peninsula attached to the coast of Spain and sits well within the Mediterranean, past the Straights.

I've known people that took the ferry out to the 'Rock' and another person that used to fly helicopters out to the Rock. Here's a video of a bloke that remembers the Rock just as many others do, about half-way between Spain and Morocco and more to the Atlantic side. He waffles on a bit, but the important part is between 4:20 and 7:15.

Bizarre. Since you mention it, yeah, I was always under the impression that Gibralter was an island. I even recall specific texts that talked about monkeys on the island that had evolved independently and that was because it was an island. I also recall that paleoanthropologists/archaeologists, etc, were amazed at Neanderthals being there because it meant they could cross the water; or perhaps they suggested that, at the time, Gibralter was connected to the mainland.

So, I just went and checked and sure enough, Gibralter is now a "promontory" and not an island at all. Fancy that.

Yeah, reading about different memories about popular culture, like so what? However, when a significant piece of geography gets moved, Crikey, what does that mean?

The old Prudential Insurance Company had an advertisement that I remember, it went something like "Solid as the Rock of Gibraltar" - oh really?

I don't know what this 'Mandela Effect' is all about, there are all sorts of theories, but I'd welcome some more insight into whatever is going on.

About Gibraltar, we have the impression is an island because of the Strait of Gibraltar, that is a division by water between Spain and Africa. In our minds and memory we confound the two things: Gibraltar and the Strait of Gibraltar. The information in the medias don't help, the teachers, this idea that Gibraltar is British and is,like England, an Island.

About Gibraltar, we have the impression is an island because of the Strait of Gibraltar, that is a division by water between Spain and Africa. In our minds and memory we confound the two things: Gibraltar and the Strait of Gibraltar. The information in the medias don't help, the teachers, this idea that Gibraltar is British and is,like England, an Island.

Yes, that could be part of it. I personally don't remember Gibraltar ever being an island - but if the Brits insist so much it's theirs, you could assume it's an island.

I just googled Gibraltar Island, and there is one with that name, but it's in Lake Erie, in Ohio. There's also a pair of islands in the river Thames called Gibraltar Islands.

Yes, that could be part of it. I personally don't remember Gibraltar ever being an island - but if the Brits insist so much it's theirs, you could assume it's an island.

Yeah, I think the Gibraltar thing is a good example of simple misperception after only fleeting awareness of the subject. Growing up in Europe and having had direct awareness of Spain and Gibraltar, I've always known that Gibraltar is part of mainland Spain. Maybe because it is often called "the rock of Gibraltar", people who have no awareness of geographical Spain but simply read that in a book may have just made the assumption that it must be a rock in the ocean. Once that assumption is made for the first time, then every subsequent time that the person came across a ref. to Gibraltar they would reinforce that original assumption in their own minds.

Gibraltar is one of the Pillars of Hercules, the other Pillar being (most likely) the Spanish autonomy of Ceuta on the north coast of Morocco. Spain has a similar tempestuous relationship to Morocco with Ceuta, as Britain's relationship to Spain is with Gibraltar.
I even recall specific texts that talked about monkeys on the island that had evolved independently and that was because it was an island.
The Barbary macaques originating from the Atlas Mountains in Morocco were apparently brought over in the very early 1700's by British sailors. They are the only 'wild' monkey or ape species found in Europe, and it is said the British will leave when the monkeys leave. There's some strange stuff written about the monkeys in relation to geopolitics.
See this BBC article here:

BBC NEWS | UK | Poets aped in Gibraltar monkey business

Note the bizarre telegram exchange in 'poetry' form between 2 government officials back in the 60's, loaded with perverse sexual content echoing our Dionysian times. I've commented beneath each paragraph relevant to bolded (my emphasis) font:

[Quoting BBC] Saville Garner, Permanent Under-Secretary at the Commonwealth Relations Office, swiftly telegrammed Gibraltar's governor, Sir Gerald Lathbury, on this matter of utmost importance:

We're a little perturbed about the apes,
After studying their sizes and their shapes.
As we see it, at first glance
There seems at least a chance
Of some lesbianism, or sodomy, or rapes

[This speaks of being hopeful and favourable toward extreme STS sex/sexuality]

For nine girls of Middle Hill may well decide
That they can't by five mere males be satisfied.
While the Queen's Gate lads, one fears may become a bunch of queers
If by sex-imbalance nature is denied.

[*mere* males + sex-imbalance/denied nature = undermined masculinity + rising perversion of sex/sexuality]

So can you plan migration, or get up
A party for the apes who feel het up,
When the bachelors from Queens
Meet the Middle Hill colleens
And a new pack (with a Gerald) is set up?

[This implies creating a new race/hybridization? Although referring to Sir Gerald for which the telegram is for, "a Gerald" = 'Gerry' = WW2 Brit-slang for "the Germans" (Nazis heavily involved in genetic experimentation). "Gerald" also Germanic to mean "rule" ]

For the Welfare State for Apes has been decreed
Where each of them is mated (and de-flead)
Then let Franco rage in vain,
Your immunity from Spain
Is by simian eugenics guaranteed.

[To have this in the same paragraph could suggest mass-population control/genetic-management]

A few days later, Sir Gerald replied:

Much as we admire
Your Churchillian desire
To alter
While pre-occupied with Malta
The simian balance of Gibraltar
So long as we have Joe
(born at Queen's Gate in fifty-eight)
No female ape need pine
Or lesbianate.

[This stands alone abruptly, may be a deliberate emphasis, refer to altering something like history, or as in a sacrificial 'alter' for occult purpose?]

And of course there's Harold too,
And Hercules of Middle Hill,
Through comparatively new
He knows a thing or two.

[If Mandela Effect applies here, then this could hint a message coded of which "Hercules" of which Gibraltar is his 'Pillar' of, is maybe not always so - but "he" (Hercules/Gibraltar) indeed 'knows'? Its interesting Gibraltar's "ancient name" of Mount "Calpe" appears of uncertain origin through Latin or Greek "Kalpe". However it is very similar to Sanskrit "Kalpa" meaning "aeon" Kalpa (aeon) - Wikipedia
Could a clue be hidden in its original name origin meaning of "time" - 'lost' since timeline change?]

Also, Winston Churchill's curious involvement of 'impending importance' approx 20 years prior during coordinating a crucial time battle in WW2 is quite bizarre [Quoting BBC article]:

In the middle of the Battle for Arnhem in 1944, Prime Minister Winston Churchill famously found time to leave the war room to telegram the Colonial Secretary, then responsible for Gibraltar. He wrote: "The establishment of the apes should be 24."

[Sounds very astrological: 2 x 12 houses of the zodiac = 12 male (12 day hours) + 12 female (12 night hours)… Possible analogy to Noahs Ark 2 x 2]

Interestingly, its the Winston Churchill Way that makes for the only way in or out of Gibraltar (connecting to the rest of mainland Spain) by land as an actual intersecting crossing across the run-way of Gibraltar International Airport (also the Spain/Gibraltar border sharing the airports northern boundary).
See Winston Churchill Way below slightly to the left of centre crossing the main runway.

Gibraltar_Airport_panorama.jpg

Geologically, if Gibraltar were once ever an island in our 'timeline continuum', I would presume the sea to have likely separated Gibraltar Rock from mainland Spain along the very dominating runway strip extending into the sea, as it appears to be the lowest point.

The Moonraker Dolly scene for me was the wake-up. I had braces and so did she.

Some are saying that she did have braces in the cinema and early TV releases, but they were edited out for release in certain countries and the later VHS releases because it made her look like a kid.

Sounds plausible.

'Assume', 'confound' - who is going to go up to the bloke in video and tell him his experience didn't happen. He never saw the Rock of Gibraltar, he just assumed he did.

There's heaps of other things that people notice. When I was typing I used to use a stuff called 'White Out' to white out my mistakes so I could type over them. Now the stuff is called 'Wite Out', that doesn't even make sense. What middle management marketing genius would come up with a name change like that?

The 'Mandela Effect' is not the same for everyone. Different people notice different things have changed for them. Some people don't notice anything at all.

One of the theories is that some people are strong enough individuals that they aren't overwhelmed by the present 'consensus reality'. They have been paying enough attention to objective reality that when things shift, they notice the change. Another theory is that it is the system is giving clues that it is all just a virtual reality and we're here to play our roles and learn. - I don't know, but this phenomena could be really important. Perhaps only those who have been playing the game awhile, the 'awake' can notice it, the NPCs and new players never notice. - I don't know.

Some are saying that she did have braces in the cinema and early TV releases, but they were edited out for release in certain countries and the later VHS releases because it made her look like a kid.

I used to be a barrister (trial attorney), so I can be a bit pedantic at times. - "Some are saying", who are these 'some'? Where did you get that information? If that's true that there are different versions, the original version should still be around and could easily debunk the alleged 'Mandela Effect'.

Again I ask, who is going up to the bloke in the video and tell him his experience didn't happen?

Again I ask, who is going up to the bloke in the video and tell him his experience didn't happen?

Ideally the people who would tell him that are the likely thousands of people who took the same ferry he took that same year who did NOT see any "island" of Gibraltar "400 miles to the West" of where Gibraltar now is, and has been for millions of years.

There's so much in this guy's story that he is not and yet should be questioning that it's really not even worth talking about. There is no "mandela effect" except for the fact that humans beings are really REALLY bad at remembering things and that they are 'pattern recognition machines' that misperceive and create narratives around things the hear and see and experiences they have ALL THE TIME. If you add to this the distorted perceptions of a child's mind going to a foreign country (the video guy was 14 at the time), then there really isn't anything unusual here.

Last edited:
Now the stuff is called 'Wite Out

It was always called wite out. What's most likely is that your brain, seeking to make sense of incongruities, filled in the 'h'.

Last edited:
I've known people that took the ferry out to the 'Rock' and another person that used to fly helicopters out to the Rock.

It has been possible to take a boat ride 'out' to the rock, or a helicopter trip around it and to the top for some time.

Back
Top Bottom