My Collie - behaviour changes

Thebull

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
IMG_20211111_214943_798.jpg
This is Star our 13 year old collie. Stars a wonderful loving dog and she's still relatively in good health. Recently we've seen a slight change in her behaviour and just wanted to see if anyone had been through something similar.
About 3-4 months ago star strated to bark very early in the morning. I work shifts and on my early shift I leave the house at 6.15am and will be up at 5.30 am.
It would start before I got up for work or around the same time. She's always let us know when she needs the toilet, so initially I would go down and let her out. Then I realised she'd mostly stand at the door and not go for a wee.
We'd also noticed when walking her she wasn't as quick to respond so thought her hearing might be going a little.
She did sleep downstairs with Milly our other dog. We decided to let Star come upstairs so she will sleep on the side of the bed. She also gets on the bed at times if I go to the loo during the night. She seems to find comfort that she's closer to us but sometimes my sleep will get disrupted.
She's definitely happier upstairs and doesn't bark now. I felt she maybe can't hear us and that might make her anxious but just guessing.
It's not really a massive problem and we're planning on getting the vet to check her over but wondered if any of my fellow dog lovers had experienced anything similar with their lovely companions. I'd be interested in anyone sharing their thoughts.

View attachment 51407
This is Star our 13 year old collie. Stars a wonderful loving dog and she's still relatively in good health. Recently we've seen a slight change in her behaviour and just wanted to see if anyone had been through something similar.
About 3-4 months ago star strated to bark very early in the morning. I work shifts and on my early shift I leave the house at 6.15am and will be up at 5.30 am.
It would start before I got up for work or around the same time. She's always let us know when she needs the toilet, so initially I would go down and let her out. Then I realised she'd mostly stand at the door and not go for a wee.
We'd also noticed when walking her she wasn't as quick to respond so thought her hearing might be going a little.
She did sleep downstairs with Milly our other dog. We decided to let Star come upstairs so she will sleep on the side of the bed. She also gets on the bed at times if I go to the loo during the night. She seems to find comfort that she's closer to us but sometimes my sleep will get disrupted.
She's definitely happier upstairs and doesn't bark now. I felt she maybe can't hear us and that might make her anxious but just guessing.
It's not really a massive problem and we're planning on getting the vet to check her over but wondered if any of my fellow dog lovers had experienced anything similar with their lovely companions. I'd be interested in anyone sharing their thoughts.
Our St Bernard, Pebbles, few months before she died from stomach cancer, had also a drastic change in behavior. Perhaps a thorough medical check could give more information. I'd take her to the vet. Maybe it is just a phase maybe it is something serious. All the best.

Our 13 yr old rough collie (almost 14 yrs) has had a few changes in behavior that were similar. In every case, it was due to some health issue. She had an infection and needed a hysterectomy, and then later, she had stones in her bladder that needed treatment. She had other bladder issues as well.

Well, the biggest change in her behavior came when her mate, Elvis, died from throat cancer. Cherie just has not been the same since. But, the other day, she was running around and bouncing almost like a teenager, so that made me feel better.

We finally realized our 14 yr old labradoodle has age-related hearing loss - was ignoring our calls, not greeting us when we came home, etc. We know he can still hear some sounds - or just certain vibrations/frequencies - and I'm looking into getting a dog whistle recommended for deaf dogs. On the upside for him, he sleeps really soundly as he's not being disturbed by ordinary sounds. He doesn't voluntarily do steps anymore and even the one step out of the house and into the garage was getting problematic. We wondered if his eyesight was becoming a factor as well. I put white duck tape squares on the step to provide contrast and that seems to have helped. Indoor urination has become a big problem despite having bladder stones removed a couple of years ago. This has been greatly exacerbated by extended dogsitting of my daughter's dog - territory marking/stress urination apparently. Doggie wraps/pads are 24/7 now.

Our vet practice has been doing the stay in your car system since Covid became a thing, so no actual facetime with the vet. Questions about his hearing with the car-hop assistants weren't satisfactory and I never really got the input I was looking for from the vet. The quality of communication has taken a nose-dive with the new no contact system. Hopefully, your vet situation is better and you should get a checkup for your dog especially pertaining to senior issues. Also, our dog developed indolent eye ulcers even though his breed isn't particularly known for them - it was a condition we knew nothing about before it was diagnosed. Eye rubbing was the main sign. Daily eye drops now to hopefully prevent a recurrence.

20230227_083318.jpg
Star our lovely Collie, has just suffered another vestibular syndrome episode. She suffered from one last year but made a good recovery. Although it's stressful to witness there's not a great deal that be offered medication wise. So it's a case of wait and hoping she can recover.
She is very wobbly on her feet and prefers to be laid down. Managing to drink and eat small amounts. She's not in distress but at 14 and a half years of age it's a worry for our family. This photo was taken last Sunday and the problems started Tuesday evening.
She has time and we're hoping she can recover but nevertheless always a worry. We love her so much and I would never let our lovely companion suffer. I just wanted to share. I can't really imagine life without Star although I know it will happen sometime.
Thanks

Awww I am so sorry for pretty Star, you and your family.

Saint Francis of Assisi, for our Animal Friends

Heavenly Father, our human ties with our friends of other species is wonderful and special gift from You. We now ask You to grant our special animal companions your Fatherly care and healing power to take away any suffering they have. Give us, their human friends, new understanding of our responsibilities to these creatures of Yours. They have trust in us as we have in You; our souls and theirs are on this earth together to give one another friendship, affection, and caring. Take our heartfelt prayers and fill Your ill or suffering animals with healing Light and strength to overcome whatever weakness of body they have.

(Here mention Star by name).

Your goodness is turned upon every living thing and Your grace flows to all Your creatures. From our souls to theirs goodness flows, touching each of us with the reflection of Your love. Grant to our special animal companions long and healthy lives. Give them good relationships with us, and if You see fit to take them from us, help us to understand that they are not gone from us, but only drawing closer to You. Grant our prayer through the intercession of good St. Francis of Assisi, who honored You through all Your creatures. Give him the power to watch over our animal friends until they are safely with You in eternity, where we someday hope to join them in giving You honor forever. Amen.

(You can make this a Novena for a sick pet, by praying this prayer for 9 consecutive days)

Poor puppa, vestibular symptoms can be very upsetting and confusing for them. If you haven't yet, maybe consider a visit to an animal chiropractor. Sometimes idiopathic vestibular syndrome symptoms can be attributed to an atlanto axial subluxation in dogs and horses because it can interfere with the eighth cranial nerve.

It's hard to watch them get old and infirm when they have been such treasured companions. Hope you all find some comfort.

Awww I am so sorry for pretty Star, you and your family.

Saint Francis of Assisi, for our Animal Friends

Heavenly Father, our human ties with our friends of other species is wonderful and special gift from You. We now ask You to grant our special animal companions your Fatherly care and healing power to take away any suffering they have. Give us, their human friends, new understanding of our responsibilities to these creatures of Yours. They have trust in us as we have in You; our souls and theirs are on this earth together to give one another friendship, affection, and caring. Take our heartfelt prayers and fill Your ill or suffering animals with healing Light and strength to overcome whatever weakness of body they have.

(Here mention Star by name).

Your goodness is turned upon every living thing and Your grace flows to all Your creatures. From our souls to theirs goodness flows, touching each of us with the reflection of Your love. Grant to our special animal companions long and healthy lives. Give them good relationships with us, and if You see fit to take them from us, help us to understand that they are not gone from us, but only drawing closer to You. Grant our prayer through the intercession of good St. Francis of Assisi, who honored You through all Your creatures. Give him the power to watch over our animal friends until they are safely with You in eternity, where we someday hope to join them in giving You honor forever. Amen.

(You can make this a Novena for a sick pet, by praying this prayer for 9 consecutive days)
Thanks you Zzartemis.
If you haven't yet, maybe consider a visit to an animal chiropractor. Sometimes idiopathic vestibular syndrome symptoms can be attributed to an atlanto axial subluxation in dogs and horses because it can interfere with the eighth cranial nerve.
I'll certainly look into this Jones. ❤️

Thebull, je vais mettre votre STAR dans me prières matin et soir pour que e Divin Esprit Cosmique étende sa main sur Elle...
Quand mes petits sont malades, j'en suis malade moi aussi...
C'est une épreuve de ne pouvoir rien faire d'autre que les aimer, les câliner malgré les traitements et quel bonheur quand ils sont rétablis, je revis...
Faites pour moi tout plein de caresses à Star et dites lui que je l'aime...
Prenez bien soin de vous deux...

Thebull, I will put your STAR in my prayers morning and night for the Divine Cosmic Spirit to extend his hand on her...
When my little ones are sick, I am sick too...
It is a trial to be able to do nothing else but love them, to cuddle them in spite of the treatments and what happiness when they are recovered, I live again...
Give Star lots of hugs and tell her I love her...
Take good care of you both...

The Bull:
I'm so sorry about your beautiful Star. I hope she recovers quickly from her condition. Indeed, it is extremely hard to watch our beautiful pets suffering when there is nothing we can do to alleviate their pains. My prayers are with you and your family and of course, your beautiful girl. What a beauty she is. You can tell by her gorgeous eyes how kind and gentle she is. Like many of us on this thread, we have beautiful and fun companions who are so helpful to us during those hard times that when they are sick, we simply don't know what to do with ourselves. It is so hard, isn't it?:hug2:
I'm relating my story to yours as like you, I was beside myself with worries and did not know where to turn back then!
Our own big boy, Storm had an episode just before Christmas. Although not the same problem as Star, it was a nerve wracking.
Storm is 12 years old. He because quite ill with vomiting and severe diarrhea that simply would not stop. He drank huge amounts of water - thus i was sure he had renal failure.
My husband brought him to the vet. I was hurting deep inside and I thought for sure he would need to be put down (and dealing with a grown man who refuses to euthanize even when there is no hope is very disconcerting). I, like most of us here, do not want my beautiful animals to suffer.
So, you could never imagine the surprise that awaited us there: our big boy had a twisted stomach! 12 years old and he was diagnosed with that!!!! Good grief!
Naturally, he went through the procedure (risky at his age but my husband would not hear of anything else). For over a week afterward, i kept constant vigil over him to ensure that he would not fall, or making sure he could eat a little (he had lost so much weight that made me really worried about his strength). A week passed and he started to feel better, started to eat a little more, was able to go outside without my help, would sleep on his stomach at first and then suddenly, he started sleeping on his side. During this time, I told my husband that all i wanted was for him to be like before: energetic, annoying (he is, but i love him for it), playful, abusing the cats, eating well and simply be himself again.
Now he is so funny: he always checks out where I am, follows me everywhere, asks to go outside at least 10 times a day.... well i got my wish i guess. 🥰
It's really funny how this dog has affected me. I'm not a dog person at all. I prefer cats but with him, my life will never be the same again.

Thank you Zzartemis for the beautiful prayer. Will gladly use it on Storm and other pets we have and value.

Your story reminded me about my wish to get him better. Now i'll remember to add your beautiful girl to my boy's well being in my prayers. She deserves nothing less. Take care.
Here he is with his toy in his mouth.

1677785543469.jpeg

Your story reminded me about my wish to get him better. Now i'll remember to add your beautiful girl to my boy's well being in my prayers. She deserves nothing less. Take care.
Here he is with his toy in his mouth.
Thank you for sharing your story and it was lovely to hear about Storm. He does look like a lovely character. I'm pleased he got better.
I felt emotional this morning when I thought about losing Star. My son had been crying last night his words were so sweet, talking about the dogs and cats.
I'm not sure if the reason was I'd focused on my wife and son. I then put the photo and post on here this morning. Maybe it's the first time I'd actually thought of losing Star.
I also appreciated the lovely prayer that Zzartemis posted.
I think Star has made a very slight improvement but she's sleeping alot and prefers to be laid down due to her dizziness/vertigo like symptoms. She's very unsteady on her feet. Star still got up to greet me on my return from work and we had a cuddle once i'd taken her to lie down. I'd slept on the sofa the last 2 night's and my wife will do that shift tonight so I can get more rest.
I appreciate everyones kind words and prayers for Starry. She is such a loving soul and very intelligent. I feel she'll let me know when it's her time.

It is so hard to let go of the kindness they have shown us, I feel for you. I have always had dogs in my life and when it was time to let them go it was heart breaking. They always let you know when that time has come and I always remember my promise to them if they don’t go naturally, “I won’t let you suffer, ever”. Bless you for giving your Star a really good life.

This was Starry yesterday. You can see the head tilt and her eyes are still effected. God bless her.
She is eating small amounts of food. Not her normal dog food. Chicken fillets which she has now decided not to eat. Other bits and bats aswell and this is a concern.
She is still struggling with her balance and prefers to be laid down. Stars eyes have improved. I'm still hopeful as I know it can be a slow process this recovery and been her second episode.
I'll revisit the vet again next Wednesday. I may take her out and sit in the park with her later today, I'll see how she's doing.
I promise you all she is comfortable at present. Thank you for listening.
20230302_085949.jpg

This was Starry yesterday. You can see the head tilt and her eyes are still effected. God bless her.
She is eating small amounts of food. Not her normal dog food. Chicken fillets which she has now decided not to eat. Other bits and bats aswell and this is a concern.
She is still struggling with her balance and prefers to be laid down. Stars eyes have improved. I'm still hopeful as I know it can be a slow process this recovery and been her second episode.
I'll revisit the vet again next Wednesday. I may take her out and sit in the park with her later today, I'll see how she's doing.
I promise you all she is comfortable at present. Thank you for listening.
View attachment 71951
Please continue to keep us posted. It took Storm a week before he became normal. But of course, i have to remind myself that her condition and Strom's stomach are two very different issues. Persist and give her time. That is all that can be done for now. Love her dearly. I'm praying for her.

Please continue to keep us posted. It took Storm a week before he became normal. But of course, i have to remind myself that her condition and Strom's stomach are two very different issues. Persist and give her time. That is all that can be done for now. Love her dearly. I'm praying for her.
Star improved yesterday beyond what I've expected. She has eatan from her bowl and was getting up on her own accord to say hello.
Very early days and still her balance is poor but postive news nevertheless.
Thank you, the thoughts, prayers and support of our group makes an impact. Love to all ❤️ :hug2:

Back
Top Bottom