My life recently: suffering to epiphany to progress

Matthew

Jedi Master
I have not been active here recently so I thought I would tell you of my adventures while I was away.

My G.P. asked me to have a checkup a few weeks ago due to my age and long term condition. Several of the results were not ideal but he seemed especially concerned about the low sodium levels in my blood. This can be indicative of some rather nasty things going on in the body apparently e.g. cancer so he told me to reduce my Citalopram (anti-depressants) to see if they were the cause of this. I suspect it is more likely due to my inordinately high intake of liquids (I practively live on coffee/tea/hot chocolate and water) but he did not raise this concern with me and merely asked his admin staff to telephone me to issue his diktat. I had been on a dosage of 30mg/day for several years and I was instructed to reduce that to 20mg/day. As you might expect, this reduction did not come without repercussions for me. Frankly, it was pretty brutal. Then less than a week later, the diktat came to reduce it to 10 mg/day. More joy!

I went from feeling not exactly great but at least feeling strong enough to cope with some of the responsibilities of daily life to feeling incredibly vulnerable and hypersensitive. I would see someone be unnecessarily unpleasant to someone online and whereas this would bother me when I was on 30mg/day, I was resilient enough to deal with it without too much distress and move on with my day. On the reduced dosage, however, almost all of that resilience had abandoned me and I would get intensely angry or upset at such incidents. During this period something, in particular, upset me terribly and I just could not shake it off. It took me to a very low place indeed.

During this very low period, I was thinking about how I was feeling and how it was something so familiar to me with my lifelong difficulties of being able to deal with life, other people and the world in general. I sat here thinking to myself: “Why am I such a mess? Why have I spent so much of my life like this? Why can’t I get past this?” The thought popped into my head that it would be great if I could ask my higher self and/or higher authority (to me) the answer to these questions but I didn’t know quite how to do that so the moment passed.

My circumstances did not improve but a couple of days after this I woke up one morning and was lying in bed in that lovely state between sleep and wakefulness. Part of me was in the land of wakefulness and close to being awake but the greater part of me was in the land of sleep and would have happily slipped back into a dream. Sometimes I wake up into this state and my thoughts are inordinately clear and illuminating but to my great delight, on this occasion, I had a bit of an epiphany.

Now, when I say ‘epiphany’ I mean ‘a moment of sudden and great revelation or realisation’, rather than ‘the manifestation of Christ’ although that may have occurred when I was younger but that’s a story for another day, perhaps.

In this not quite awake and not quite asleep state I had the answer to my questions from the other day i.e. why am I such a mess and have pretty much always been so. The answers were:

• That I am like a baby who needs someone to look after them and to hold them and comfort them
  • That I have felt this need to have been unfulfilled all of my life and that is why I have done such a bad job of looking after myself because I do not want to let go of this primal yearning and hope that someone will come to comfort and take care of me.
  • That it is why I have looked for a ‘knight in shining armour’ as a lover in my adult life and why no man has ever been able to reach this unfairly high bar.

Now, this is pretty embarrassing and difficult to admit to myself let alone anyone else but I cannot deny the truthfulness of these statements. On reflection, I think that I have always known this but was not prepared to face up to it before. It all makes sense if I think about the circumstances of my birth, my familial relationships and how I dealt with those, my inability to find a man who was fully Mr Right, and so on. I can go further into these if anyone wishes but, at this point, I would rather discuss what effect this had on me.

My big take away from this was that at the age of 54 I should probably stop hoping that someone will come along and look after and comfort me and instead I would be far better served to concentrate on doing a better job of looking after myself! Since then I have tried to do a better job of this and actually started getting some exercise which has really helped to offset the reduction in my medication. I have so much more that I can work on but it is a start at least.

So there you are; make of that what you will. You may find the above interesting. Life has certainly been very interesting for me recently! :umm:

Thank you for sharing, strategic enclosure, and it's lovely to see you here after a few weeks of inactivity :-)

Keep going with doing as best a job of taking good care of yourself. After reviewing your life circumstances, did you think about how you can better concentrate on doing a better job? Doing some exercise is definitely wonderful. There's a diagram @3DStudent posted in @floetus thread here outling different benefits that different exercises confer.

Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Jordan Peterson's Self-Authoring Suite program can help you draft out a plan of approach to doing better and long-term goals, while some of the psychology books can help you work through addressing those revelations appropriately. Covey's book and Peterson's program work well together, too, IMO.

Nurture the momentum of taking action and making proactive decisions. It can be helpful to see the change as a must, as a life or death matter and consider yourself, your higher self or higher authority, as the cause of the change. In other words, choose to commit to the process, even if you are currently uncertain of the details as to how.

Lastly, have you considered a hormonal lab panel test? There might be something there that's contributing greatly to the depression initially and the antidepressant masks the symptoms of depression without addressing causes. Tests can help you see more clearly what's taking place. Plus antidepressant can have nasty systemic side effects long term, so keep an eye on this.

Last edited:
I have not been active here recently so I thought I would tell you of my adventures while I was away.

My G.P. asked me to have a checkup a few weeks ago due to my age and long term condition. Several of the results were not ideal but he seemed especially concerned about the low sodium levels in my blood. This can be indicative of some rather nasty things going on in the body apparently e.g. cancer so he told me to reduce my Citalopram (anti-depressants) to see if they were the cause of this. I suspect it is more likely due to my inordinately high intake of liquids (I practively live on coffee/tea/hot chocolate and water) but he did not raise this concern with me and merely asked his admin staff to telephone me to issue his diktat. I had been on a dosage of 30mg/day for several years and I was instructed to reduce that to 20mg/day. As you might expect, this reduction did not come without repercussions for me. Frankly, it was pretty brutal. Then less than a week later, the diktat came to reduce it to 10 mg/day. More joy!

I went from feeling not exactly great but at least feeling strong enough to cope with some of the responsibilities of daily life to feeling incredibly vulnerable and hypersensitive. I would see someone be unnecessarily unpleasant to someone online and whereas this would bother me when I was on 30mg/day, I was resilient enough to deal with it without too much distress and move on with my day. On the reduced dosage, however, almost all of that resilience had abandoned me and I would get intensely angry or upset at such incidents. During this period something, in particular, upset me terribly and I just could not shake it off. It took me to a very low place indeed.

During this very low period, I was thinking about how I was feeling and how it was something so familiar to me with my lifelong difficulties of being able to deal with life, other people and the world in general. I sat here thinking to myself: “Why am I such a mess? Why have I spent so much of my life like this? Why can’t I get past this?” The thought popped into my head that it would be great if I could ask my higher self and/or higher authority (to me) the answer to these questions but I didn’t know quite how to do that so the moment passed.

My circumstances did not improve but a couple of days after this I woke up one morning and was lying in bed in that lovely state between sleep and wakefulness. Part of me was in the land of wakefulness and close to being awake but the greater part of me was in the land of sleep and would have happily slipped back into a dream. Sometimes I wake up into this state and my thoughts are inordinately clear and illuminating but to my great delight, on this occasion, I had a bit of an epiphany.

Now, when I say ‘epiphany’ I mean ‘a moment of sudden and great revelation or realisation’, rather than ‘the manifestation of Christ’ although that may have occurred when I was younger but that’s a story for another day, perhaps.

In this not quite awake and not quite asleep state I had the answer to my questions from the other day i.e. why am I such a mess and have pretty much always been so. The answers were:

• That I am like a baby who needs someone to look after them and to hold them and comfort them
  • That I have felt this need to have been unfulfilled all of my life and that is why I have done such a bad job of looking after myself because I do not want to let go of this primal yearning and hope that someone will come to comfort and take care of me.
  • That it is why I have looked for a ‘knight in shining armour’ as a lover in my adult life and why no man has ever been able to reach this unfairly high bar.

Now, this is pretty embarrassing and difficult to admit to myself let alone anyone else but I cannot deny the truthfulness of these statements. On reflection, I think that I have always known this but was not prepared to face up to it before. It all makes sense if I think about the circumstances of my birth, my familial relationships and how I dealt with those, my inability to find a man who was fully Mr Right, and so on. I can go further into these if anyone wishes but, at this point, I would rather discuss what effect this had on me.

My big take away from this was that at the age of 54 I should probably stop hoping that someone will come along and look after and comfort me and instead I would be far better served to concentrate on doing a better job of looking after myself! Since then I have tried to do a better job of this and actually started getting some exercise which has really helped to offset the reduction in my medication. I have so much more that I can work on but it is a start at least.

So there you are; make of that what you will. You may find the above interesting. Life has certainly been very interesting for me recently! :umm:
SE, I feel your pain and have been working through something similar. You ask why you are such a mess and yet with all the recommended readings one would think that it should all be getting clearer and resolved. I have been plagued by a similar train of thought of why is what I'm doing never enough and what am I doing wrong.

Even the psychiatrists and psychologists are full of it, I think. Just there to push pills, listen to us regurgitate our woes and take the cheque with a half smile practised to show supposed empathy.

Then I came across this video as I was looking online for relevant topics, lectures, etc. You can fin it on YT. Complex Trauma: Understanding and Treatment - Diane Langberg.

"Historically, when someone has experienced trauma that has a lasting impact, they have been diagnosed with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). In recent years those who work with trauma victims have advocated for an additional category: Complex Trauma. Therapeutic work with those who have experienced either multiple traumas or repetitive and chronic trauma from a caregiver manifest differently than PTSD and seem to demand a different diagnosis."

It triggered a whole new perspective on things that I thought I already knew. It put a new meaning on how far and deep the trauma goes and it is ignored by the medical penguins because it is not highlighted in their manual that they have so dutifully learned by heart.FWIW :hug2:

Thank you so much SMM and stellar. I am too tired and in need of getting away from this pc to dig into those now but I just wanted to say how grateful I am that you posted the above; I shall endeavour to do so tomorrow.

I was asking myslef why i have so much big mess sometimes in my head.... There was a time in my life that i was living like more than a few years each day intoxicated B-) After all that my memory was broken. After when i reach this forum i realized that only can help me iodine and Dmso. I had trauma from this life time and also from another life times and was a period in my life that i could only go to work and then i couldn't do nothing else even think :/ I said to myself i 'm not going to give up and slowly slowly i get better. You have to be strong, no matter what :) Alaways is to look for the answers. When You have trauma the first what you need to understand that this is the emotion that is paralyzing your body that You don't feel what is in real... I hope that You read a book that Laura posted ,, Healing and Delopment trauma'' which helps me a lot to understand what is the process.

Thanks for sharing, SE! As unsettling as this seems to be, perhaps lowering the dose of Citalopram allowed you to really feel something, and a part of you was ready to see it now? You know you own body better than anyone, of course, but I think it's very interesting that when reducing the dose, you faced some real aspects of yourself and took a moment to question your life course. If you could do that, then perhaps it's time to try other ways of coping? Or rather, to stop "coping" and start "living"? Little by little?

Those are some good realizations, regardless of when you have them, and they can apply to many people, so you are not alone. I can relate to some of the things you wrote. And all I can tell you is that, even though it may go up and down, and you may feel lonely at some points, what you concluded is really true: take care of yourself (and your environment) first. If that person exists, who would you like to be for them? A needy person, or someone who is more or less "whole", and has more to give, and the capacity to receive sincerely? If that person doesn't exist, who would you still want to be, for everyone and everything you love (since love and caring can take so many forms and should be "spread out", not a "possession")?

In the end, like you said, it is unfair to expect that Mr. Right will show up when there is so much anyone can do first. That person will come if you are ready and if it's part of your lessons. Sometimes, the lesson seems to be to let go of that idea completely, though, and be yourself, the best you can be, regardless of how many lives it takes to meet him if that serves a higher purpose.

A while back I wrote something else which I was thinking may help you in this context, FWIW:

And this quote that someone shared in their profile:
Love is unconditional giving. But in order to give you must first have something. In fact, you have to have a lot.
In order to have a lot you need to work hard and work all the time.
This will not leave you any time whatsoever for thinking about love.
Ark

On a lighter note, a while back I listened to a TED talk, by a woman who had divorced and married several times. I can't remember the name, but the take home message was: In life, the only person we are stuck with for life and cannot break up a relationship with is US. If you don't have a good/healthy relationship with yourself as much as possible, if you can't stand on your two feet, and YOU aren't happy with who you are, your efforts, your actions and what you give to others, then why would you submit someone else to that if you really love them? Start "at home" first, and then you'll be in a better place regardless of what life has in store for you.

Whatever we escape (due to trauma or any other reason), never really goes away. So, whatever it is, I think that it's better to face it. Not that we have to do it all at once, but we can strive to get to the truth of the matter, change the behaviors that we know are negative, and do what is in our power as we understand better and better, mistakes and all. That in and of itself can help heal, and fill in the "emotional holes" that we spent a lifetime trying to patch up with temporary solutions. OSIT.

I hope this helps a little. Step by step!

Thank you for sharing strategic enclosure! Much of what you wrote I can totally relate to. I think fundamentally, deep down we all crave being loved and cared for like a child, because perhaps many of our pre-verbal needs were not met. This is the survival connection trauma from the book Healing Developmental Trauma, an eye opener for me as an adult, reflecting on my childhood and as a mother, reflecting on raising my children.

On a lighter note, a while back I listened to a TED talk, by a woman who had divorced and married several times. I can't remember the name, but the take home message was: In life, the only person we are stuck with for life and cannot break up a relationship with is US

I think you might be referring to this Ted talk by Tracey McMillan - it is very powerful talk. There is no being rescued, and if we really want to see things change, we need to change ourselves. It’s so much easier said than done at times - I’m often my worst critic!

Thanks for posting SE.

I think you have shown great courage to come to these truthful, albeit painful, realisations. Whatever our individual 'stuff' is, admitting it to ourselves is the most important first step imo. Our relationships with others - partner, companion, family, friends, work colleagues etc - are reflected through our relationship with Self.

So to spend time working on yourself SE, to be the best person you can be as Chu mentioned above, is a very worthy aim I think.

I recently found an article on sott which I found insightful pertaining to 'mature' and 'immature' relationships which may be helpful to you. The more aspects of Self we can develop of the former at the expense of the latter is progress I reckon! :-). Good luck! :flowers:

The difference between a mature relationship and an immature relationship

Mature couples don't "fall in love," they step into it. Love isn't something you fall for; it's something you rise for.

Falling denotes lowering oneself, dropping down and being stuck somewhere lower than where you started. You have to get up from falling.

Love isn't like that — at least not with people who are doing it right. Immature couples fall; mature couples coast. Because love is either a passing game, or it's forever. Love is either wrong, or it's right. A couple is either mature or immature.

How do you know? How can you tell if your relationship is in it for the long haul or the two-month plummet everyone predicted behind your love-obsessed back?

First, it should be easy, from the beginning to end. There are no passionate fights with passionate make-up sex. There's no obsessive calling, texting or worrying.

There's no real drama. Because drama is for kids. Drama is for people who don't know how to have a relationship — who live by idealistic, preconceived notions that love must be wild and obsessive.

Love is easy. It's the easiest thing you've ever done. It's the calmest place in your life, the safest blanket you've ever worn. It's something that happens naturally; it doesn't need to be fought for day in and day out.

When you love someone, and he or she loves you, and there's no doubt to his or her feelings and no doubt to yours, that's peace of mind. A peace of mind you've never had before.. the kind that humbles and revives you.

A mature relationship lives by this peace of mind; immature ones drown in it.

Immature relationships ask questions; mature relationships answer them

Immature relationships are all about doubts. Does he love me? Is she cheating on me? Will we be together in two months?

Mature couples don't need to ask questions. They already know the answers, and they don't need reassurance from their partners.

They are comfortable and secure and free of doubt because mature love isn't about all those small questions, but a comfort in knowing the big one is answered.

Immature relationships leave you wanting something; mature relationships give you what you need

There's a void in immature relationships, an apparent absence and incessant worry that something's missing.

It eats away at you when you go to sleep or leave each other for just a few hours. It burns dimly when you're together, but you wave it off with sex and constant chatter.

Mature relationships have no void. There are no empty spaces or tiny cracks. There is never a feeling that something has been taken away or is leaving with the other person.

The love between the two mature people fills every crack in the fiber of their being they didn't know they had.

Immature relationships are striving to be one complete person; mature relationships are okay being two

Immature relationships are formed by two incomplete people. They are two halves trying to make one whole.

They are two people looking for something that can't be found in another person. They dominate each other, force themselves together and make one flawed mesh of a human.

Mature couples never strive to be one. They are two individual people looking to make two better people. The love between the two of them isn't about making both of them whole again, but more individual.

It's about pushing each other to pursue their passions, interests and become the best person possible.

Immature relationships lose their drive; mature relationships make you more motivated

We all get wrapped up in love. It's easy to spend days in bed and weekends in the hazy world of blankets and kisses.

But eventually, that smothering love is replaced with motivated love — a type of love that comes when you want to make a life with someone and work hard to get that life. Immature couples never get to this.

They never feel that motivation to leave each other only to come back more successful and more determined to make a life for the two of them.

Immature relationships fight over text messages; mature relationships are always face-to-face

Fighting is natural; texting is not. Mature couples do not spend their days bickering over a screen.

When they have something to work out, they do it face to face — where the meanings can't be misconstrued by emojis and auto correct. Immature couples fuel their relationship with incessant bickering and lengthy messages.

Immature couples see long texts as evidence of their "relationship" and find comfort in spending hours hiding behind their phones. They argue just to argue; mature couples fight for their future.

Immature relationships are about trying to find yourself; mature relationships already know themselves

Relationships are only for two complete people looking for companionship, yet many incomplete people look for it to complete them. This is when mature relationships and immature ones split.

You can't have a healthy relationship with two unhealthy people. When you're trying to use someone to complete you, you're creating an incomplete relationship.

Immature relationships are threatened by everyone else; mature relationships enjoy meeting other people

There are always going to be people in your life, pasts to each person and surprises behind closed doors.

Mature couples, however, do not feel threatened by strangers and past lovers. They are confident in their love and their partner's love.

Immature couples find threats in everyone. They're delusional and paranoid because their love is superficial. They do not have a strong enough foundation to effortlessly glide past all the distractions and threats.

Immature relationships live by preconceived timelines; mature relationships let everything happen naturally

There's no right or wrong time to move in together. There's no specific year to get married and definitely not a timeline for your life together.

When you're in love, things happen at their own pace. You feel things, and you follow your heart.

Immature couples, however, don't have those feelings, those instincts and those effortless moments. They make up rules and guidelines and assume time is the only thing that makes or breaks their relationship.

Immature relationships judge you on your past; mature relationships help you carry it

We all have a past, and in many cases, one we're not proud of. We can't help what happened to people before we knew them. All that matters is how they are now. Immature couples, however, refuse to see beyond the past.

Mature couples don't just accept one another's pasts but want to help heal the wounds. They look beyond the mistakes and the flaws toward the beauty in the future together.

I can relate to some of this, thanks for sharing your story in a courageous way. Between the age of 29 to 39 I was fixated on the importance of finding a wife "to complete me", before realising that first I needed to make efforts towards completing myself. A big factor which helped me overcome this fixation was my experience meeting people in social situations. There was no co-linearity in any of my social situations and friendships, which frustrated me internally, but I was more or less cognisant of the need for people to learn at their own pace. I alienated people during this period though because I'd spill my guts on certain occasions, which pushed people away 'cos they found me strange. External consideration was a lesson I learned the hard way, as I've mentioned before on this forum.

At this stage of the game, I'd say the true love ship has possibly already sailed. Just look at woke culture as an example. They're nowhere near woke if you analyse them objectively, and again I can relate to this from my experiences. It's an ongoing process which will probably go on indefinitely, beyond densities even. Most people aren't ready for a scenario like this, and I'd even say it's even a tough prospect for those of us on here, and in saying that I'll add that the folks on here contributing regularly are probably the most awakened people on earth! It's hard is what I'm saying, basically.

Weeding the truths from multiple sources whilst always knowing there's no "one source, one truth" is the job at hand, and loneliness is a part of the price we have to pay in our domestic lives, that's my suspicion. We can still value those we know and love in our lives, but really there's no "white knight" in the offing. It's not a rose garden, but then it never was. To paraphrase a Led Zeppelin lyric, we choose the path where no-one goes, and we ask no quarter (hey I'm a crusty old rocker, indulge me!) as we forge our path. Ultimately I think the basics of "a" and "b" influences prevail in this situation. We have tremendous benefits from being here and now on this forum, so much to be grateful for, but there are probably prices we have to pay in other aspects of our lives.

The best suggestion I can make with regards to wanting to find a significant other, is simply to keep yourself busy internally and externally. Sometimes the external world takes up more time with attending to various responsibilities, and then there are times where one can focus more internally (be it journaling, networking on the forum, reading etc.). At least you’re working on the only things you can control - yourself and your immediate environment. And as a for a partner, I’ve just learned to “let go, & let God” - if there are lessons to be learned in a partnership, the Universe will bring along what I need.

Hello Strategic Enclosure,

How brave you are to put into words what so many of us have struggled with in secret!

With all the good ideas everyone has posted before me, I have only a small thing to add. Whenever I feel sorry for myself and lament the lack of parenting I received when I was a child, I go outside and walk barefoot on the grass or sit beside a tree. I read somewhere (wish I could remember where) that we all have a mother who supports us and that is the Earth. She feeds us and clothes us and shelters us...and is always there.

Hugs!

This might sound like an odd suggestion and my reasoning could very well be out or maybe too simplistic, but here goes.

I figure that one of the main things we miss out on in developmental trauma's is a reliable and/or trusted source or production of oxytocin. Kind eyes, warm acceptance, a keenness to attune, safe, gentle, compassionate touch from something that is living, breathing and has a heartbeat, goofy playfulness with lots of belly laughs and sometimes bruises, a sense of protection, and hearty greetings.

I could pretty much say that in the main I got that from my dogs (though I also had horses, cats, birds, guinea pigs etc). Of course, and on the surface it's limited in scope as far as emotional development goes because they are 2D, and there's also the fact that in my much younger years my needs were more narcissistic so I wasn't always the best dog/horse owner and probably still have much to learn.

However, one of the benefits of their comparatively short life is that when they die, it's amongst one of the greatest pains you feel and part of that is the remorse about the ways that you probably weren't the best thing for them, and that brings a personal commitment to do better, be better and make better informed decisions next time. One of the hidden gifts of dog (or pet) ownership. You will never be able to blame shortcomings on them, they will at the very most probably only ever have the cognitive abilities of a 5 - 7 year old child, so you will always be the adult - or striving to be - in that companionship. Their environment will always be about who you are and what you provide, for the term of their natural life.

One of the things that I found, was that in my earlier years I was trying to work to have the dog attune and connect to me. But as I got older and with more experience, I worked harder to learn and experiment to attune and connect to the dog or horse in front of me. I attended horse and dog competitions as an observer before I trained and entered myself and the winners of those competitions stopped drawing my attention when it became apparent that you could force compliance, but that didn't always make for a happy emotionally balanced dog or horse that still had life in it's eyes and was comfortable in it's own skin - not so over animated to suggest anxiety, lack of drive satisfaction or difficulty focussing, or so slow and depressed suggesting conflict, confusion, fear of reprisal or a kind of zombie like learned helplessness.

My attention shifted to those who had the best connection with their dog or horse, they shone regardless of whether they won or lost and the connection, compassion and consideration between them was more magical than any trophy or ribbon. Their competition run out was more like a partnered dance, than an authoritarian 'I say and you do', and where errors are shrugged off with 'oops' and forgotten and perhaps adjustments made to training later where necessary.

To be a better dog owner, I had to take better care of myself. I had to work on my anxiety, get better sleep, have better routines, welcome different exercise, eat well etc.

Given it's limited scope, it's probably not the ultimate for human development because people are much more complex, but if you need a companion, it ain't all bad and some of the stuff you learn and develop in that process is transferrable. You'll certainly get some oxytocin which I found to be enlivening, energising and fulfilling on a very deep level from my very first dog at the age of around 6 :-). I'm sure it helped somewhat with my social confidence and I learned to laugh at myself more. Dogs need that connection, attunement and the oxytocin hits as much as their owners do.

They are also pretty good companions, if well chosen, for those who experience C/PTSD.

Back
Top Bottom