Neil Young: "Living With War" -- free stream!

L

Lucy

Neil Young has let loose an angry anti-war cry. . .with this very satisfying album which I highly recommend for both the music (sounds very 'vintage Neil Young-ish') and the anti-war anti-Bush message. In interviews it's obvious he doesn't have a clue about 9-11 and other important issues, and still thinks of the U.S. and Canada as 'free countries"...but in this album he's made some good music to listen to while reading anything Cindy Sheehan has written-- a combination that may bring tears to your eyes as it did mine.

For those who would like to hear it, Tower Records is offering a free stream of "Living With War"-- all tracks, including *Let's Impeach the President. By the time I'd reached that track I'd already decided to order a copy. In fact, I **ordered two copies, one for myself and one for a Father's Day gift. I'll be making good use of the free stream until my copy arrives.

Not everyone will like this music as much as I do, but then, I came of age during the Vietnam era, and I've been a Neil Young from way back in his Buffalo Springfield days when they recorded Stephen Still's "For What It's Worth" about police brutality that escalated into a riot in Hollywood -- which I remember hitting the radio (at least in So.Calif. where I was living in 1967) only days after it happened. Already no stranger to "protest music," it was Young, as a member of Crosby Still Naxh & Young, who wrote Ohio in 1970, in reaction to the "four dead in Ohio" from National Guard soldiers opening fire on the Kent State campus. For those of us old enough to remember it, the event and the song will be forever, intrinsically and powerfully, linked, in the same way Joni Mitchell's Woodstock song is linked with the festival itself. Perhaps music no longer has the same impact it did back during the Vietnam era, but that doesn't mean it's not touching some raw nerves. The neocons must think there is some "danger" attached to this album, considering the damage control they're doing on it. They're even, evidently, deliberately trying keeping the "listener's review stars average" low by inserting negative reviews to countering positive reviews online. Listeners who relate at all to this album are pretty consistently giving it high ratings, so the cointelpro-ish 1-star reviews tend to stand out. This is easiest to spot on TowerRecords.com because there are only a few reviews there- unlike Amazon.

Track listing:
1. After The Garden
2. Living With War
3. The Restless Consumer
4. Shock and Awe
5. Families
6. Flags of Freedom
7. Let's Impeach the President
8. Lookin' For a Leader
9. Roger and Out
10. America The Beautiful

* Lyrics: Let's Impeach the President
Let's impeach the president for lying
And leading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door
He's the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
And bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war
Let's impeach the president for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones
What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would ***"New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government's protection
Or was someone just not home that day?
Let's impeach the president
For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected
Thank god he's cracking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There's lot of people looking at big trouble
But of course the president is clean
Thank God

**Anyone choosing to order the album from TowerRecords.com they can use this Coupon Code: MDAYFS to get free shipping (Online Only - Offer Ends May 30, 2006) The free shipping makes this a better deal than what's being currently offered on Amazon. Of course, there may be other, and better, deals out there that I just haven't found...and of course "good deals" change constantly.

BTW-- You can watch Neil Young's video, ***Walkin' to New Orleans" on CMT-- of all places. (I really like the angry sneer on Neil's face in this one.) :cool: They also feature a video of Rockin' in the Free World that starts out with a voice-over of W's infamous, "fool me once, shame on you" remark.

Back
Top Bottom