New Forum layout April 2018

Hi goyacobol,

When someone answered to your post if that member uses a quotation of your post, you will be notified by the Alerts bell on the top right of the page.

Moreover, you can choose to see the threads where you have participated using the filter option as illustrated below:

Thanks Gandalf. I wasn't sure that alerts were just threads I posted in before. And the filter option should allow for another way to not miss anything. I already find that this version is much more robust and offers many more options that are very useful.

OK, having test-driven the new software for a bit, I am mostly happy about the way things go. There are still a number of isses that will need to be addressed (on top of my list is a darker theme as well, but I understand that this is not a big priority at this stage, and I can live with this), and I still need to get my head around things for a bit. But I also know that in 3 months time, I probably won’t even remember how the old forum worked ... :-D

A number of other changes I really like - two of my favorite things is the “multi-quote” button and the easy way to embed things in the post.

However, I do have a question:

I tried to find the “5G” post, but the search engine rejected this search term, because it is too short. Is there a way around that I cannot find? I tried to search “5G “ (5G with empty space in brackets), which wasn’t rejected by the search engine, but didn’t get me any result either.

Any ideas? Thanks for your replies.

This new forum is easier to use. I figured out pretty much everything I needed to know right away. The old forum there were still things I didn't know how to do especially in regards to quoting peeps. FWIW

However, I do have a question:

I tried to find the “5G” post, but the search engine rejected this search term, because it is too short. Is there a way around that I cannot find? I tried to search “5G “ (5G with empty space in brackets), which wasn’t rejected by the search engine, but didn’t get me any result either.

Any ideas? Thanks for your replies.

nicklebleu,

It is not the best solution but I just added the word "technology" as in "5G technology" and got 7 hits which is not a lot.

Search results for query: "5G technology"

Hi goyacobol,

Moreover, you can choose to see the threads where you have participated using the filter option as illustrated below:

Plus, under "Preferences" (click on your username at the top right -> Preferences), you can activate alerts and email notifications for "content you create" and "content you interact with". You will then be notified whenever there is a new post on a thread you have participated in. It will only alert you once however until you view the the thread.

Plus, under "Preferences" (click on your username at the top right -> Preferences), you can activate alerts and email notifications for "content you create" and "content you interact with". You will then be notified whenever there is a new post on a thread you have participated in. It will only alert you once however until you view the the thread.

Thanks luc. I didn't have those checked but now I do. This should cover most of the same functions that the old forum software had.

‌So, I've been using the new forum like this:

- At the end of the day, I go through any/all pages on the New Posts page

- When I'm done, before bed I click the "Mark forums read" button. That takes me to homepage (annoying). Then I click back to New Posts page (now empty)

- Go to bed

- Refresh New Posts in morning.

That way, each day the New Posts page only shows me unread posts from that day, and anything else I haven't read doesn't clog up my unread/new posts list.

And that way, I can also surf from the homepage and click any boards that have blue speech bubbles (unread). Otherwise, unread posts start piling up.

If I miss anything, I follow peeps so I can just see their posts in "Your news feed". And of course I Watch certain threads to get e-mails for really important stuff.

I like it better than the old "recent posts" page, because I still missed lots of stuff on the old forum. This way, at least I can see which threads are jumpin' even if I don't read them all.

That's my current method, and so far, so good!

BTW, the search engine requires terms of at least 3 letters. Otherwise, the search index would be hugemongous.

Ahhhhh!

That feels nice!

Old code bases updated, duct tape hacks replaced with new beams and bolts, barnacles scraped off the hull. Dust bunnies swept from under the bed. (Room cleaning). Etc.

Nice job!

The one thought, however, which I’m still bouncing around in my head is this...

The “Like” feature.

Hm.

On the one hand, it’s a great way to show appreciation and support. It’s a standard expectation among the phone and tablet media consuming gen-pop. Encouragement and approval have their appropriate places in any social group. And what better place to explore its repercussions than here?

On the other hand...

Ego, ego! The motivation of writing for crumbs of attention sneaks its mechanical tentacles into a discourse by placing a numerical value on a post and its author. It also invites band-wagon thinking; readers embracing an idea as relevant not because one has thought through one-on-one with a concept but because a herd dynamic is having an effect. -Which already happens through natural systems of discourse, but it is not streamlined for ease of not-thinking. Facebook’s demigorgons have learned the immense power of the “Like" button, and use it to their advantage in addicting users and manipulating herd behavior.

Without “Likes” one has to dig deeper; if you do or do not agree with a post and want to add your voice, you have to consolidate your reasoning, crystalize it and post, -which heats up the crucible of the mind, forwards a conversation with real power. It’s not the easy path.

So two hands... I've seen and used the feature in other forums, seen and experienced it in both a positive and a negative manner.

I’m still trying to work out my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
Woodsman,

So two hands... I've seen and used the feature in other forums, seen and experienced it in both a positive and a negative manner.

I was thinking about it that way too. I hesitate to over use the "Like" button. I am trying to use it for only more universally useful ideas. Of course what I think is universal won't always go very far but I am giving it a shot.

Awesome job. I feel this new design is more friendly. I was really surprised when I saw the new site on my phone.

solarmind,

Can you give me an example of a bookmark you are having trouble with? I'll try to find a work-around for it. I am still getting used to the new software too but I think it still has most of the same features of the old software and maybe new features we haven't even explored yet.

To me it does have some interesting features and a brighter look. I think many of us are reluctant to change and I am too sometimes. I haven't tried any of the social sharing but I suppose for those who are on some of those sites it could expand our reach.

Hello Goyacobol,

Thank you for offering help, as even though I will get it faster I am still not quite "fluent" with new layout.

I am slowly getting used to the new layout, and more I look around more I like all this social network features, that makes me feel more human on a way, as there is more transparency from activities by people in real time. And I like this status feature, as there is nice selection of nice thoughts to start the day with etc ...

But still after few days, I thought I will figure it out, but unfortunately I can't figure out is there saved list of bookmarked articles and threads we did in the past? For me it was very useful, as in the morning in short time that I have for coffe, I used to go though forum to bookmark things to read them later at night ... so there was many things left open that I wanted to go though, or get back to some after learning some stuff etc ... so if it still exist somehow it will help a lot?

Also I couldn't find Cassiopaea transcripts listed by dates, as it used to be beofre. It was also very very useful ... I hope it is just mee not findning the new orientation of button and icons?

From some days ago I think that I am not receiving emails every time a new post is sent to a thread that I am watching. I have scanned my spam folder just in case but nothing there is there. Is it possible that exist some problem with emails broadcasts?

But still after few days, I thought I will figure it out, but unfortunately I can't figure out is there saved list of bookmarked articles and threads we did in the past? For me it was very useful, as in the morning in short time that I have for coffe, I used to go though forum to bookmark things to read them later at night ... so there was many things left open that I wanted to go though, or get back to some after learning some stuff etc ... so if it still exist somehow it will help a lot?

For this one, you have to create a new list. To do so, when you want to watch(bookmark) a thread, you click on the top of the thread on the little icon "Watch" and it will be added to our watched thread.

Back
Top Bottom