New lower carb chocolate recipe

Mr. Premise

The Living Force
I just perfected a revised lower carb chocolate recipe. It lowers the carbs by leaving out the coconut milk or coconut cream. I use coconut oil and stevia for sweetener so these would have to agree with you. I noticed most commercial chocolates use lecithin as an emulsifier which I've avoided until I started making liposomal vitamin C and so now I consume a lot of lecithin so I thought why not add some to chocolate. So here goes:

In a saucepan melt one cup of coconut oil (one cup melted) on low heat.

When liquified add one cup cocoa powder with a quarter teaspoon of salt mixed in.

Then add one tablespoon vanilla extract and two medium sized dropperfulls of stevia extract. Mix well on low heat.

When well mixed, add two tablespoons of liquified lecithin at a ratio of three tablespoons lecithin (non-GMO, of course) to one cup water.

Keep stirring for a half minute or so then pour onto a pie pan lined with parchment paper. Let cool in the refrigerator until hard.

Sounds good! Just wondering, does the addition of the emulsifier make the consistency softer?

3D Student said:
Sounds good! Just wondering, does the addition of the emulsifier make the consistency softer?

Yes it makes it smoother but it still holds up a lot better in room temperature than using coconut milk with no emulsifier. I made my first batch of no coconut milk chocolate without lecithin and it was pretty hard. Tasted good, though, more like dark chocolate. With just two tablespoons of lecithin it tastes more like milk chocolate.

That sounds good indeed. I haven't tasted chocolate for a long time!
I am just wondering. Is there anyway I can use xylitol instead of stevia extract? I have never heated up xylitol but is it okay to do so?

I made this last night and it was superb! I used a stevia/ xylitol mix and also included butter with the coconut oil. I think the lecithin actually adds to the flavor as well.

Aya said:
That sounds good indeed. I haven't tasted chocolate for a long time!
I am just wondering. Is there anyway I can use xylitol instead of stevia extract? I have never heated up xylitol but is it okay to do so?

Xylitol's fine, it actually would taste better than stevia. And stevia doesn't agree with some people. I use stevia because it's a lot cheaper and has zero carbs while Xylitol has some carbs. And I get some carbs from it every day chewing Xylitol gum.

Shane said:
I made this last night and it was superb! I used a stevia/ xylitol mix and also included butter with the coconut oil. I think the lecithin actually adds to the flavor as well.

I thought about adding some butter. We bought a case of pasture raised butter recently. How much did you add?

Mr. Premise said:
I thought about adding some butter. We bought a case of pasture raised butter recently. How much did you add?

It was probably around a 2:1 coconut oil to butter ratio. I don't use measuring too much so I'm not completely sure, but it turned out well!

Shane said:
It was probably around a 2:1 coconut oil to butter ratio. I don't use measuring too much so I'm not completely sure, but it turned out well!

Out of curiosity, would it work using lard instead of butter or would the consistency become too hard?

this is something i have to try out! chocolate is my love/hate relationship with food hehe

Eboard10 said:
Out of curiosity, would it work using lard instead of butter or would the consistency become too hard?

It seems that it can be done with lard:

[quote author=Galaxia2002]I do some tests for my chocolate and the outcome was good! In a bowl I put 3 tbsp of hot water and dissolve some stevia and xilitol. Then add a mix of liquid warm fat ( lard 70 % - ghee 30 %) . Add the content of 2 capsules (2g) of sunflower lecithin for better emulsification (I need to test if it is necessary) Mix until water don't separate of fat. While the mix is warm (if it is not, warm it in the microwave and it shouldn't be hot) add cocoa powder, not too much because you get it bitter. Last I put some vanilla essence and Cinnamon powder. The Cinnamon not overcome the taste but cover the pig taste, and the vanilla makes the difference.

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26223.msg322117.html#msg322117[/quote]

I've been fortunate to have a good source for actual cocoa butter and have tried my hand at making chocolates a couple of times. They turn out well, but I do seem to have some issues incorporating the sweetener. Stevia mixes in no problem, but I don't love the taste of it. My experience with xylitol is that it wouldn't mix in properly, so I ended up with chocolates that were unsweetened with a sweet layer since the xylitol all sank to the bottom of the moulds. Still tasted good, though :lol:

I think it's possible to make the xylitol chocolates, so I think I'll order some more cocoa butter and give it another try. It was suggested to me that I may have left the cocoa butter on the heat (double-boiler) for too long, and that I need to add it after the cocoa. I might try adding lecithin as well...

dugdeep said:
I've been fortunate to have a good source for actual cocoa butter and have tried my hand at making chocolates a couple of times. They turn out well, but I do seem to have some issues incorporating the sweetener. Stevia mixes in no problem, but I don't love the taste of it. My experience with xylitol is that it wouldn't mix in properly, so I ended up with chocolates that were unsweetened with a sweet layer since the xylitol all sank to the bottom of the moulds. Still tasted good, though :lol:

I think it's possible to make the xylitol chocolates, so I think I'll order some more cocoa butter and give it another try. It was suggested to me that I may have left the cocoa butter on the heat (double-boiler) for too long, and that I need to add it after the cocoa. I might try adding lecithin as well...

One way to help incorporate the xylitol would be to grind it into a powder with a dry grinder or the one used for coffee beans. You could mix all the sweeteners and salt together in the grinder to get an even taste when you mix it all together.

beetlemaniac said:
dugdeep said:

One way to help incorporate the xylitol would be to grind it into a powder with a dry grinder or the one used for coffee beans. You could mix all the sweeteners and salt together in the grinder to get an even taste when you mix it all together.

Thanks for the suggestion, beetlemaniac :) I actually tried that (not with the salt, just the xylitol), grinding it into a fine powder. It didn't seem to help at the time, but I think I may have been over-cooking the cocoa butter, as I mentioned. I do think that grinding it is the right way to go. I'm going to keep experimenting with it...

FWIW, when I was making chocolate, grinding the xylitol into a fine powder definitely helped. Haven't made it in quite a while, and back then I was using xylitol and stevia powder, and sometimes a bit of D-Ribose to sweeten it.

Back
Top Bottom