No child left behind

Seeker 1313

Padawan Learner
Today's paper carried a story by Walter F. Roche Jr of the Los Angeles Times:

A Texas company headed by one of president bush's brother and partly owned by his parents is benefiting from republican connections and federal dollars targetd for economically disadvantaged students under the no child left behind act.
With investments from his parents, former president george h.w. and barbara bush, and other backers, neil bush's company, Ignite!Learning, has placed its products in 40 U.S. school districts and plans to market internationally.
At least 13 U.S. districts have used federal funds available through the president's signature education overhaul, the no child left behind act of 2001, to buy Ignite's portable learning centers at $3800 each!
The law provides federal funds to help school districts better serve disadvantaged students and improve their performance especially in reading and math. But Ignite does not offer reading instruction, and it's math program is not available until next year.
Former first lady barbra bush spurred controversy recently when she contributed to the Hurricane Katrina releif Foundation for storm victims who had relocated to Texas.
Her donation carried one stipulation: It had to be used by local schools for purchases of Ignite products.
Texas accounts for 75 percent of Ignites business. In Houston where neil bush and his parents live, the district has used various funding sources to acquire $400,000 in Ignite products. An additional $240,000 in purchase has been authorized in the last 6 months.

Lisa said:
Seeker,

Is there an online link to this report?

Lisa
Title: Bush's family profits from 'No Child' act

url: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-ignite22oct22,0,4402778.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Hi Lisa,

I did not get to finish my earlier post due to an unexpected event I had to deal with. What i find interesting about the article besides the unethical business relationship is that project Ignite does not offer help with reading which is the foundation of any educational program.
I work extensively with teenagers and I have been horrified over the years by the number of kids who end up in my office who cannot read beyond a third grade level. Some of these same kids stick it to get diplomas, but cannot read----I wondered how this is possible.
What I have discovered is frightening for everyone in this country. Our educational system abandoned learning to read by phonics several years back and replaced it with an unproven system called, whole language learning or the look say method.
The Phonics method teaches vowel sounds, consonants, prefixes, suffixes, root words, compound words etc...It is boring to teach, but produces good readers who can figure out meanings of new words through contextual clues and so forth. It is proven and produces independent thinkers.
Whole language or look say requires that a child memorize every word and is taught by a teacher reading the words to them through stories. The problem is that if a child comes to a new word since they do not know vowel sounds, root words, prefixes ect... they have no way of figuring out what the new word means. Readers are taught to replace unknown words with words they do know. A researcher was given permission to review the standardized tests results in Claifornia to analyze the data. What the woman found was that when kids came to the word Samurai in a particular story, many of them did not know the word so they replaced it with sausage. Can you just imagine how that would change the meaning of a story?
Phonic is based on the premise that an author has a story to tell and you the reader will figure out the message is. Whole language and look say are based in the premise that the reader will create their own unique story despite what the author intended.
Whole languae was never tested and implemented by an educational system that found teaching phonics boring.
No one likes to do things they are not good at and can you imagine being a kid in a classroom day after day and reading is neither enjoyable nor does it bring you any understanding? The number one reason kids smoke marijuana is boredom. Is it bad kids who go to school and cause trouble or is it schools creating bored kids, who then get into trouble?

Back
Top Bottom