Northern & Australis Lights (aurora borealis)

Voyageur

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Came across this rather dated documentary featured on the National Film Board of Canada (NFB) _htpp://www.nfb.ca/film/northern_lights

This short {41 min} documentary examines the phenomenon of the northern lights, aka the aurora borealis. Though scientists have advanced many theories in an attempt to explain it, mysteries still linger. Experience a visual panorama of animated legends and international space launches as indigenous people and scientists offer their perceptions of the wondrous northern lights

I know there are more current videos and articles, yet this one, from 1992, has a variety of inputs from the Inuit to Scandinavian countries and Siberia. It examines some of the folklore as passed on from one generation to another. It also features a number of Russian, Canadian, American and European physicists and other scientists who discuss the phenomenon's nature. The film also introduces some old books that studied weather and oddities concerning aurora's. Here are a couple of examples below:

- Discussed the Russian Scientist, Mikhail Lomonosov, 1711-1765 (_http://www.tristarmedia.com/bestofrussia/scientists.html), who seems a very interesting man, and also the first (or so it says) to make the connection between aurora's and the sun/plasma.

- There were reports that the aurora can be 1000 km or come down to the earths surface, this is also covered in various parts by regional inhabitants who share their experiences and myths/stories.

- Discussion on Birkeland and his currents

- In the video there is discussion amongst the scientists that their instruments cannot hear the Northern Lights, yet people hear them and they cannot explain why the scientists can't - this made me think about the phenomenon of the "trumpets" discussed around the sounds that were being captured from above; more so a year or two ago, that Pierre also wrote about in his book Earth Changes and the Human-Cosmic Connection.

- Further along, it discusses the depleting of the Ozone layer related to aurora's (this was discussed in a recent session too). The theory goes that aurora's (incoming) electrons break up 0 and N creating nitric oxide causing Ozone disruption.

- In 1741 there is mention of a Norwegian sea captain who wrote a book about aurora and weather.

- Interestingly, aurora are used to predict when extra ambulances are needed (in Russia) possible because of the fluctuating magnetic field lines and heightened cardiac issues?

- Recounted the March 9th, 1989 Quebec (province wide) cascading power surge event that caused mass power outage - Faraday's law. From the north (like James Bay), the power grid runs a long way down to urban centers and the effects of the aurora enveloped the transmission lines.

- There is a wee message at the end concerning our hostile space and its effects on "electronics", yet perhaps on terra firma it has yet to make a really big mark? Perhaps there is a connection between the recent pull back of the magnetic shield over North America and some future event that may well paralyze parts of the world?

Debra

Jedi Council Member
Observing Northern Lights was pretty much a nightly thing growing up in Northern Alberta, Canada.
I remember putting my face under my pillow, unable to sleep due to the flickering and strobing of the Northern lights coming through the pulled curtains.

This article has some interesting new observations:
New Discovery of "Dune Aurora"

1580317066121.png

WASHINGTON, D.C. — A new type of aurora called “the dunes” discovered by aurora chasers in Finland is helping scientists better understand a mysterious layer of Earth’s atmosphere.

“For the first time we can actually observe atmospheric waves through the aurora – this is something that hasn’t been done before,” said Minna Palmroth, a space physicist at the University of Helsinki and lead author of the new study.

[...]the dunes occur simultaneously and in the same region where the electromagnetic energy from space is transferred to Earth’s upper atmosphere. Palmroth suspects this energy transfer may be linked with the creation of the mesospheric bores through a phenomenon called Joule heating, where electrical currents from charged particles flow through the upper atmosphere and create heat.

The researchers suspect the dunes are visible manifestations of undulations of air called atmospheric waves.

"This region of the atmosphere, roughly 80 to 120 kilometers (50 to 75 miles) about Earth’s surface, is sensitive to changes in energy from the Sun and Earth’s lower atmosphere. Energy fluctuations in this region can indirectly affect the trajectories of Earth-orbiting satellites and spacecraft reentry.

“For the first time we can actually observe atmospheric waves through the aurora – this is something that hasn’t been done before,” said Minna Palmroth, a space physicist at the University of Helsinki and lead author of the new study."
1580318002127.png
The dune-like northern lights occurred at the boundary between the mesopause and mesosphere

This article has some more info, and really cool pictures!

XPan

Jedi Council Member
Very weak Northern Lights • Stockholm
19 April 2021, 03.00 - Planetary K index 4

Different "Weather"

I woke up at around 03:00 going out to the balcony (checking the weather) - and noticed that there was (perhaps) something... An extreme faint glow... ? I really wasn't sure... It felt as if it did not belong to the possible beginning of dawn. OK. Let's check. I usually make a quick test with the camera, to see if something greenish pops up.

And it did. Barely.

While it looks neat with a glancing bow in the photo - this level of activity was practically invisible to the naked eye - and so easy to overlook. You just can't tell, really.

Personally, I always get a bit excited, simply because I have not seen any Aurora for a very long time. I missed all shows because of sleep, working hours, over common overcast weather... Watching auroras through dirty subway cabin windows, together with all the glare and movement city lights and street lamps... isn't a good option - unless the auroras are extreme bright.

Yes, the image is somewhat enhanced. The stars are sharpened (highlights only) to make them appear clearer. The horizon a bit darkened so that the eye isn't focussing on the buildings too much. The Image noise reduced.

The photo was taken handheld for 2 seconds - but only because one of my cameras can handle that without tripod. The view points towards north.

What I didn't expect

was the late appereance after midnight at 03.07. Normally, Auroras peak around midnight (22:30 to 01:00) when the "Auroral Oval" has reached its most southern expansion over our area. (This rule - applies for any place, but does not apply if there is a serious outbreak in progress - which can happen at any time and the Auroral Oval makes a large expansion) In the lower chart to the right, Stockholm was already well outside of the Green Auroral Oval area this morning.

The so called "Planetary K Index" also was rather weak, at level 4 (hours before midnight) It is possible that it rose higher at around 03.07 when I was looking - but the chart does not reveal that yet (in the time of writing). Index 4 is normally too low for any visibility over Stockholm, so I usually put the threshold at around 5 to look for Auroras.

2021-04-19-03-07-17.jpg

planetary-k-index.jpg

XPan

Jedi Council Member
The local one could be higher than the estimated planetary. You can check out magnetometer Kiruna, Sweden (gave up to 6):

You are a pearl @mrtn 💕

Thank you for the link !

I am not so good in reading the charts, but it looks like there was a local impulse going on over Sweden during the time in which even over Stockholm got a weak glancing bow appearing. Interesting !

At Spaceweather.com a guy, Todd Salat published this photo (Brooks Range, Alaska), he took yesterday on 18 April 2021... Now we are talking ! 😍

He wrote:

"Dazzling auroras erupt above the Brooks Range of Northern Alaska on April 18, 2021 at 1:03 am. These lights were so bright that I had to dial back my exposure time to a fraction of a second, and they were expanding so quickly that all three shots were taken within a 13-second time span. This is above the Arctic Circle so it’s no longer getting completely dark, but twilight was good enough because these auroras were on fire!"

It must have been an incredible sight !!!

Todd-Salat-Auroras-on-Fire-by-Todd-Salat_1618758625.jpg

XPan

Jedi Council Member
So, is the place for Aurora...

to post future images or events of and about Northern Lights ?

If I would have known... I would have done it here and not under "What's the weather where you are". Because I thought of... you know, space weather... weather... and was wavering a while... didn't know where to post it elsewhere, so I obviously posted it at the wrong place, which Laura told me that I did.

Ooops. :oops:

Nienna

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Yes, XPan, this would be a good place to post anything about auroras.

Remember, the search engine is your friend. ;-) You can always do a search before you post something you haven't posted about before to see if there is already a topic on it.

XPan

Jedi Council Member
Thank you @Nienna

It is a good reminder, good to repeat.

I do sometimes search for possible existing threads, yet get also confused (lost) over the many results. Nevertheless - I am glad you guys moved my entry into the proper thread. Thank you 💕

Top Bottom