Novak Djokovic detained in Australia

I think they are trying to set an example of someone famous who is against the vaccines thereby striking fear into those who have opposed the mandates so far and/or refusing the booster doses. I don't see any other angle in this episode.

Hi Bojan71, for those who haven't heard what's going on some context might be useful. Novak Djokovic was set to play the tennis Australian Open Monday 17th January where all players must be fully vaccinated unless given special medical permission. He has previously spoken out against the covid vaccines and the vaccine mandates to travel:

"Personally I am opposed to the vaccination against Covid-19 in order to be able to travel," Djokovic said.
[...]

"My job requires lots of travel, some are saying that for us who travel, we would have to take the vaccine that is yet to be developed.

"Therefore, I would like to repeat and point out that at this moment we do not have adequate information. We don't know if there will be new measures, which of them will be taken, will we have a choice to decide on our own what to do or not with the vaccine."
[...]
"If people do not take the vaccine and we do not have exposure to a level that would have overall community 'immunity' we could have a resurgence in cases of Covid-19 or the next coronavirus," he said.
And from this article:
Back in November, there were assertions from Djokovic’s father, Srdjan, that he would not give in to ‘blackmail’ over vaccine mandates, adding to fears that the star would not be there to defend his title in Melbourne.

Organizers confirmed that he had been given a medical exemption to play in the Australian Open following “a rigorous review process involving two separate panels of medical experts”. Reportedly, medical exemptions were also given to other participants (staff/ players). There was a public outcry on social media from many who were ardently against him being allowed in the country when he was not vaccinated. Border Control canceled his visa after determining that his particular type of visa did not allow for medical exemptions for the unvaccinated(?). Other reports claim it was because the reason for his medical exemption was a previous covid infection, which is not recognized by the government of Australia.

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison had this to say: "rules are rules. Mr. Djokovic’s visa has been canceled. Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders. No one is above these rules,".

He was detained for several hours by immigration officials before being ordered to leave the country. He is being held in an immigration hotel in Melbourne awaiting a full hearing in the federal circuit court on Monday after he successfully fought his deportation.

I agree with Sid, I think they are trying to make an example out of him as he has spoken out against the narrative, they also seem to be using it as an opportunity to whip up public hatred/ anger towards the unvaxxed.

I'd say it's likely that he only went to Australia because it was made clear to him that he could play in the Australian Open without being vaxxed.

The Australian government apparently reneged on that deal. They deceived him. They're currently using his high-profile status to send a message to the unvaxxed: 'we will get you'.

The government may yet back down and let him in to play, but by then it will have 'won' anyway because it has stimulated yet another polarizing vaxxed-vs-unvaxxed 'debate'.

Divide and conquer...

I'd say it's likely that he only went to Australia because it was made clear to him that he could play in the Australian Open without being vaxxed.

The Australian government apparently reneged on that deal. They deceived him. They're currently using his high-profile status to send a message to the unvaxxed: 'we will get you'.

The government may yet back down and let him in to play, but by then it will have 'won' anyway because it has stimulated yet another polarizing vaxxed-vs-unvaxxed 'debate'.

Divide and conquer...

Maybe Scot Morison will pick up the racket and play. Who knows? But the only problem with that is, I would pay NOT to see any part of it.

However, heres our message for all the petty tyrants similar to him; you will get f all. Thats all youll get.

At this point I wonder if they will let him play anymore, maybe only at the condition that he doesn't speak in front of the public or in the media, which I doubt can work practically at least for the former.

This is a sad day for sports and another win for the elite in further polarising society as mentioned by Niall.

I think the elites lose either way

• Let Novak play and human freedom wins
  • Deport him and appear tyrannical - make Novak a martyr of sorts, potentially get other athletes to boycott the competition.
They are trying to now make him look crazy and are clearly trying to destroy him whilst we all watch. Are pro-vaxxers psycho enough to think this is normal?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom