Ocular migraine issue

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I seem to be dealing with this problem and want to share on here in case anyone else is dealing with it and see if any of the resident eye people like @Lilou and @Arwenn have any tips or if @Gaby or @Keyhole can give me any other suggestions. So twice in the last few months I've had a distressing eye issue that lasts for about 30 minutes and then goes away. It doesn't arrive with any pain, but all of a sudden my eyesight gets blurry and what I can best describe as zig-zagging flashing lights, both in a central location. It happened a few months ago, and then this past Saturday when I was at work and couldn't do stop working because I was the only supervisor around it happened again and this time a headache followed it. Here's a few pics that I found googling which best show what I was seeing. It was like a combination of the two pics.

download.jpg

images.jpg

I wasn't sure if this was due to some nerve inflammation or something worse, like something pressing against my eye. But the eye doc showed me the images of my eye and while I have some minor cataract, sun damage, and signs of low triglycerides, he diagnosed it as an ocular migraine. Although I think visual migraine is more correct since this was not contained to just one eye. You can read about it here. It doesn't seem to be a particularly concerning problem. The doctor said I need to spend less time on the computer and more time looking at stuff that's farther away. He said something about for every 20 minutes on the computer, take 20 minutes looking outside. That meshes with what I read on the Lasik thread here on the forum by @flashgordonv who improved his eyesight by spending time looking on the horizon. Although my first thought is, there's so much to do that taking time away from the puter is going to be difficult.

I am going to look into purchasing a different computer monitor. Mine has a 60hz refresh rate and I can't change it, while a 120hz refresh rate is recommended for people who spend a lot of time on their computers. I also ordered a few supplements that Arwenn recommended on the Lasik thread, Eyebright and Bilberry, along with Lutein. I had been using the lowest color ranges on f.lux for a while but I actually changed it last year as I was finding it hard to see at night when it would go down into the candle range. I am going to switch back to letting the program naturally change the display colors again.

Also, I remember that @fabric had found a website that was for eye exercises or something and if that might help here I would be interested in checking it out. Dunno if there's anything else I could be doing aside from time away from the computer, looking at stuff far away, taking some supplements and getting a better monitor. I'm gonna get blood work to see about the low cholesterol/triglycerides which showed up as clear spots on the retinal image thing he took. Also doesn't help that I have hereditary issues in the family, with my Mum having cataract surgery and recently being told she has macular degeneration. Hopefully this helps anyone else who may have experienced this and didn't know just what was going on as well.

Last edited:
Do you mean avoid foods like nightshades? I'll check out the nicergoline. The eye doc seemed to think there was no issue with anything vascular based on the images of my eye, but better to be safe than sorry!

Hi @Beau, I'm sorry to hear that you're getting these visual migraines. Your ophthalmologist would have checked the health of your eyes and the optic nerves, intraocular pressures etc- it sounds like that's all mostly okay (I wouldn't be too concerned about the early cataracts).

Although I think visual migraine is more correct since this was not contained to just one eye.
I would agree with you there. Here is some information on the difference between ophthalmic (visual) migraines, retinal migraines and actual migraines, from this article about it:
  • Ophthalmic, or visual, migraines are thought to result from abnormal electrical activity slowly spreading across certain regions of the outer brain cortex. They affect both eyes. This is responsible for the development of the slowly progressing visual changes, usually over 20 to 60 minutes. These migraines are also known as scintillating scotomas.
  • In retinal migraines, the visual symptoms take place in the retina rather than across the outer brain cortex. They occur in only one eye, before or during the headache phase. The disturbance in retinal migraine may also result from abnormal spreading of electrical activity, except it occurs in the retina. The disturbance may also be due to reduced retinal blood flow.
  • A migraine headache results in moderate to severe headache and lasts for 4 to 72 hours with a number of connected symptoms. It may be tied to family genetic traits and triggered by certain foods, stress, or environmental factors that affect the proper functioning of the cerebral cortex.
Stress, fatigue and inflammatory substances can trigger migraines of all types. I think it's a good idea to replace your computer screen with the higher refresh rate. Take regular breaks or even if you can; position your screen where you can look out through a window to the distance-it gives the intraocular muscles that help maintain close focus a break. I'd also suggest wearing glasses with a blue light blocking filter, with a slight plus prescription to ease accomadative fatigue- you may need to see an optician or optometrist for that (my local ophthals don't check for refractive errors as thoroughly as we do, they are more focused on ocular health). You could also install a blue blocking filter on your computer (eg f.lux).

Chamomile tea bags (cooled, please don't put hot ones over the eyes lol) are soothing for tired fatigued eyes. In terms of natural vision therapy, palming is also good to do (probably acts a bit like giving yourself Reiki to the eye area). You can read about how to do that here. Bilberry and Eyebright are both herbs sepcifc for eyes (bilberry more so for improving night vision).

Another option if the visual migraines persist, may be to see an acupuncurist. Eyes are the sense organ for the liver, and relate to the emotion of anger, so that maybe something to look into.

Hope this helps!

Do you mean avoid foods like nightshades?

Everything that is classically inflammatory, even when you think it was not an issue for you in the past. At least in the short-term while you're getting a hold of this problem.

Sometimes we zoom in too much (i.e. this is an eye problem) when it is really a systemic issue manifesting in the eye.

Hope you feel better soon!

Hi @Beau, I'm sorry to hear that you're getting these visual migraines. Your ophthalmologist would have checked the health of your eyes and the optic nerves, intraocular pressures etc- it sounds like that's all mostly okay (I wouldn't be too concerned about the early cataracts).

I have blue light blocking lenses for my prescription glasses and am using f.lux, so got that covered. I did schedule an eye exam after my appointment since I need to get updated contacts due to having to wear a mask at work. I'll ask about getting a plus prescription to help with accomadative fatigue. I didn't even think to give my eye Reiki during the episode, doh! I'll look into the palming.

That's interesting about the connection with the liver and anger. I've had issues with my sluggish liver off and on for a few years now. I used to wake up often between 1 and 3am unable to fall back asleep, the "liver o'clock." That stopped, but I think I need to get back on the liver support supplements. Anger... well you look at the world every day and lately it's hard not to get emotional about things. Probably should not let it get to me as much. Thanks for the recommendations!

Everything that is classically inflammatory, even when you think it was not an issue for you in the past. At least in the short-term while you're getting a hold of this problem.

Gotcha. I had been thinking the past few days about going to a carnivore diet for a spell, so might be time to go clean and let the system relax and heal.

Just wanted to add: I see that you already wear glasses going by your avatar? What is the prescription in them, and when were they last updated? There are a range of new lenses to help ease ocular fatigue in an ever increasing digital world. I'll post some of them here:

Essilor Eyezen lenses
Antifatigue lenses

Here is an article about different companies' lenses for the digital age:

Added: Just saw your post above, okay good idea to get spex/contacts updated. Best wishes for getting it sorted!

I had my eyes checked, around 2 years ago. My prescription hadn't changed from the previous eye exam:
Okay, then your distance Rx is stable. You can just get single vision distance lenses made up, but if you wear glasses when you're using digital devices, then I would definitely recommend having some mild plus put in there to ease accomodative fatigue. Which type of lens you go in for, depends on your age (35 -40 and under something like the Eyezen, over 40 I'd go with Anti-fatigue lenses), the difference being that the Eyezen has two focal points to ease eye strain but no plus, the anti-fatigue lenses do.

I'm more than happy to have a look at what your optometrist precribes for you once you've attended your appointment.

It happened a few months ago, and then this past Saturday when I was at work and couldn't do stop working because I was the only supervisor around it happened again and this time a headache followed it.
I did schedule an eye exam after my appointment since I need to get updated contacts due to having to wear a mask at work.
Could the mask be a major factor in causing the problem? Hours of oxygen below safe levels and carbon dioxide above safe levels can't be good for the body.

Hi Beau,

Are there any signs of migraine in your family - including cousins?

Were there any other physical sensations whilst having these episodes, other than the headache which you said came on at one point?

Do you ever get headaches without getting these eye manifestations?

Are there any signs of migraine in your family - including cousins?

None that I'm aware of, but I'll ask.

Were there any other physical sensations whilst having these episodes, other than the headache which you said came on at one point?

No other physical sensations. Not even any pain in the eye.

Do you ever get headaches without getting these eye manifestations?

I don't get headaches normally, other than a caffeine withdrawal headache if I forgo my morning cup of coffee.

Back
Top Bottom