Oliver Stones "The Putin Interviews": Historic Documentary about Putin

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
As you might know already, this new movie is about to air for the first time on Showtime in a four-night event beginning June 12th at 9PM ET/PT. Here is the description from Showtime:

The Putin Interviews on Showtime said:
Oscar®-winning filmmaker Oliver Stone was granted unprecedented access to Russian president Vladimir Putin during more than a dozen interviews over two years, with no topic off-limits. This remarkable four-part documentary series provides intimate insight into Putin's personal and professional lives, from his childhood under communism, to his rise to power, his relations with four U.S. presidents, and his surprising takes on U.S.-Russian relations today. Witness the most detailed portrait of Putin ever granted to a Western interviewer.

I think that some of the commentators are totally right that this movie will be a historic one. Two new intriguing teasers have just been published.
But before that, here is the first teaser that was already published before yetserday:

https://youtu.be/BrBoj760aD8

And here are the two new teasers:

https://youtu.be/I2cJXEWkt60

https://youtu.be/UD4eIM-8Vrc

Here is another short teaser embedded into a CBS news portion:

https://youtu.be/_-tEkACDTMw

Here is a recent discussion about the movie with Oliver:

https://youtu.be/eTBkDPV6iRo

I say: Get your popcorn ready! Sounds very very interesting already. :thup:

Thanks for sharing Pashalis, will watch the documentary series for sure ;D

Thanks for posting the new trailers Pashalis! I'm definitely looking forward to this one!! :clap:

Can't wait to watch this four-part documentary and I mean that quite literally. :cool2:

It'll be very interesting to see how well (or not well) this series is received in the US. From what we've been hearing we know this much about Stone: One, he has a very good grasp of the geopolitical situation and is therefore not out to ask stupid loaded questions of Putin. Two, Stone's questions will be informed and rigorous (if not diplomatic), and this can only be a good thing because it gives Putin an opportunity to set things straight about information the propagandized American public has been getting. Though who knows how many are capable of any independent thought at this point even actually watching and listening to him.

I think we can expect a few hit pieces on both Stone and Putin though. And we might also expect some things 'in the news' designed to distract from any of the positive attention that this series may engender. I don't know how many folks have access or subscribe to Showtime since its far less ubiquitous than the major networks or cable news, but these interviews should certainly make it something of an 'event' and 'must see TV' among many.

Ennio said:
It'll be very interesting to see how well (or not well) this series is received in the US. From what we've been hearing we know this much about Stone: One, he has a very good grasp of the geopolitical situation and is therefore not out to ask stupid loaded questions of Putin. Two, Stone's questions will be informed and rigorous (if not diplomatic), and this can only be a good thing because it gives Putin an opportunity to set things straight about information the propagandized American public has been getting. Though who knows how many are capable of any independent thought at this point even actually watching and listening to him.

That's my take on it too.

I'd much rather see Stone interview Putin than the MSM-touted interview with Megan Kelly, who is dressed very provocatively (what's up with that?!) in the teasers and will most likely ask the usual stupid questions.

Ennio said:
I think we can expect a few hit pieces on both Stone and Putin though. And we might also expect some things 'in the news' designed to distract from any of the positive attention that this series may engender. I don't know how many folks have access or subscribe to Showtime since its far less ubiquitous than the major networks or cable news, but these interviews should certainly make it something of an 'event' and 'must see TV' among many.

If Stone is even halfway reasonable in his presentation, there will definitely be hit pieces and stuff taken out of context. Gotta keep the Russian boogyman slant going.

I have Showtime and there's a good chance it will go on to Netflix.

[/quote]

NormaRegula said:
[...]
I'd much rather see Stone interview Putin than the MSM-touted interview with Megan Kelly, who is dressed very provocatively (what's up with that?!) in the teasers and will most likely ask the usual stupid questions.

Not only stupid questions, but clearly question of a lying Propaganda nature. Notice that Putin even goes as far as suggest that Kennedy was assassinated by american intelligence services:

https://youtu.be/x8AeBAV4EIY

NormaRegula said:
If Stone is even halfway reasonable in his presentation, there will definitely be hit pieces and stuff taken out of context. Gotta keep the Russian boogyman slant going.

Yep I think that probably something to that nature will happen. So far I have no reason to suspect that Stone has said or done anything in this interview series that is not in accord with decency and the truth. His track record from the past, and the snippeds published so far from the interview, clearly speak against it. Even more reason for the mainstream to bash that interview series.

Can't wait to see it...

Pashalis said:
NormaRegula said:
[...]

Not only stupid questions, but clearly question of a lying Propaganda nature. Notice that Putin even goes as far as suggest that Kennedy was assassinated by american intelligence services:

That woman is such an idiot! Talk about going to interview the most important stateman the world has seen in decades, and acting as if you have "all the dirty scoop" on him and thinking that you can outsmart him and have him confess to all that made-up drivel! An example of "journalism" in our times. Putin is a VERY patient man.

But I am also looking forward to Stone's interview. Thank you for the clips :thup: I hope they eventually show it someplace we can all watch.

I got sick to my stomach watching Megyn Kelly. What an ignorant woman. Can't wait for Stone's documentary to come out. Hopefully it slaps down all of the malicious lies and subterfuge being used by the msm to malign Putin.

Redrock12 said:
I got sick to my stomach watching Megyn Kelly. What an ignorant woman. Can't wait for Stone's documentary to come out. Hopefully it slaps down all of the malicious lies and subterfuge being used by the msm to malign Putin.

Megyn Kelly seems like a sad case of someone suffering from Russiaphobia, I wonder if she afraid of Russians hiding under her bed, or in her closet, or just simply behind her everytime she isn't looking.

That said, I considered it be enjoyable to watch how Putin pretty much schooled her, which he did with great humor. How one stands in the face of petty tyrants says a great deal about a person. How Putin deals with such situations is a good source of learning and inspiration.

- And I'm also very much looking forward to Stone's documentary. :D

I just heard about the Stone interview recently and watched a trailer today. It looks very interesting. My wife and I do not get Showtime, but sometimes they do free trials and maybe it will be possible to watch it by doing something like that. I have not seen the Megyn Kelly interview. That sort of thing is very difficult to watch for me anymore. It is entertaining watching Putin school some of these fools, but it also gets old and starts to make me feel angry. Sort of like watching Obama give a speech started to make me want to scream at the television, which is likely a waste of time and energy. But maybe you are right Bjorn, that it is good to see examples of dealing with petty tyrants in such a masterful way as Putin is able to do. Anyway, Stone is a completely different story. I am really hoping to watch his documentary when it comes out and I hope it will have some, albeit minor, influence on western understanding of him and Russia. It will be downplayed for sure. It is LaLaland over here. Most Americans still fail to grasp the clear role in terrorism that the west plays, so why should Russophobia be any different coming from the land of the Salem Witch Trials, McCarthyism, etc. I digress, but one might be forgiven for thinking we ought to have learned something as a culture by now. It is disappointing. I do still have some hope though. And maybe Stone will make a big enough splash to jolt some people into thinking critically about Putin and Russia. He is at least fairly credible and Americans love celebrities. :P :cool2:

That woman is such an idiot! Talk about going to interview the most important stateman the world has seen in decades, and acting as if you have "all the dirty scoop" on him and thinking that you can outsmart him and have him confess to all that made-up drivel! An example of "journalism" in our times. Putin is a VERY patient man.

Yes, it was so cringeworthy watching that. What a great example of how to deal impeccably with a 'petty tyrant' type individual. Megyn Kelly is surely certain to win 2017's 'dumb blonde journalist of the year' award! :)

After watching the trailers I am so looking forward to Oliver Stone's documentary. It should provide enough objective information to help counteract all the relentless Russiaphobia / Putin propaganda nonsense propagated by the West in recent times.

Pashalis said:

Yes, this interview is worth noting not only because of Putin's "directness", but also because it is packed with very revealing info. It is revealing also due to the apparent "shallowness" of Megyn Kelly's questioning. A lot of Putin's brilliance is unfortunately lost in translation, something that also happened during the Economic Forum. He did say many things we've been waiting for him to say for a while now, but it was done in such a clever way, that you either have to follow the daily news and be aware of the geopolitical scene, or at least know Russian. Notice how many of the participants of the Economic Forum cracked with laughter when he spoke.

Searched the Kelly 11 minute interview videos in YT, on all of them the commentators agreed with what has been expressed here. It is quite amazing to see NBC videos, published in their very own channel, or channels related to its shows, being commented with the same message: Kelly was out of her depth and Putin answered as a brilliant statesman. This last remark came as a bit of a surprise, considering that most of the viewers could be americans.

Back
Top Bottom