yay for Turmeric!

Meanderthal said:
Hi folks,

Attending a recent MindBodySpirit exhibition in Melbourne, Australia I picked up some turmeric blended product upon viewing the companys' website and being highly impressed with

1. the rawness of a dozen off-the-street type short video testimonials of far reaching early benefits:

https://buyturmerix.com/au/product-review/

plus
2. a compelling(to me) article by Dr Andrew Weil on the same site starting of with:

Why Plants Are (Usually) Better Than Drugs

I have always been fascinated by the difference between plants and the drugs that are isolated from them. This goes back to my student days at Harvard in the 1960s, where I received my undergraduate degree in botany, and then went on to medical school. It’s rare — too rare, I have to say — for botanists to become doctors. The experience gave me a unique perspective on health and medicine. ....

https://buyturmerix.com/au/turmeric-powder-vs-capsule-supplement/

Hopefully a little serendipity plays out well with this as just before a neighbour I had not spoken to for over 6 months was pleading with me for emotional support over a severe onset of arthritis making driving a car a very painful activity and family wranglings in that mix that I thought I offloaded my being meshed in with back then. struth. On a lighter side, the day prior I was admiring a very rare visit from a bright green lorikeet in my yard.. only to turn my head for a few puffs and whammo the best horizontal dive bombing on the side of my face of a clear liquid as it quietly whoosed by a foot over my noggin. so much for staring at a cutie sharp shooter.

I will factor in the really good information from this board and look to put a comment in the product review page in the sott forum in about a months time as I and others I know hopefully try out this turmerix product.

Hi Meanderthal , please take it for what it's worth but your post reads a bit like a product advertisement and with prices starting at $80 the product is actually very expensive. I was wondering what qualities of it would justify such a high price? In my experience organic turmeric can be purchased at a fraction of that price.

The list of ingredients on the company website is: "Turmeric, and the X Factor Blend including Cinnamon, Coconut Powder, the essential Black Pepper, Green Tea, Liquorice, Kelp, Fennel, Vanilla, Aniseed, Caraway, Ginger, Clove, Cardamon and more." I must say I do wonder what that "and more" is. The listed herbs can be purchased separately and mixed together at a much lower price.

It would be helpful if you could share what specific qualities make this product worth the high price so we can look into it :)

Ant22 said:
Meanderthal said:
Hi folks,

Attending a recent MindBodySpirit exhibition in Melbourne, Australia I picked up some turmeric blended product upon viewing the companys' website and being highly impressed with

1. the rawness of a dozen off-the-street type short video testimonials of far reaching early benefits:

https://buyturmerix.com/au/product-review/

plus
2. a compelling(to me) article by Dr Andrew Weil on the same site starting of with:

Why Plants Are (Usually) Better Than Drugs

I have always been fascinated by the difference between plants and the drugs that are isolated from them. This goes back to my student days at Harvard in the 1960s, where I received my undergraduate degree in botany, and then went on to medical school. It’s rare — too rare, I have to say — for botanists to become doctors. The experience gave me a unique perspective on health and medicine. ....

https://buyturmerix.com/au/turmeric-powder-vs-capsule-supplement/

Hopefully a little serendipity plays out well with this as just before a neighbour I had not spoken to for over 6 months was pleading with me for emotional support over a severe onset of arthritis making driving a car a very painful activity and family wranglings in that mix that I thought I offloaded my being meshed in with back then. struth. On a lighter side, the day prior I was admiring a very rare visit from a bright green lorikeet in my yard.. only to turn my head for a few puffs and whammo the best horizontal dive bombing on the side of my face of a clear liquid as it quietly whoosed by a foot over my noggin. so much for staring at a cutie sharp shooter.

I will factor in the really good information from this board and look to put a comment in the product review page in the sott forum in about a months time as I and others I know hopefully try out this turmerix product.

Hi Meanderthal , please take it for what it's worth but your post reads a bit like a product advertisement and with prices starting at $80 the product is actually very expensive. I was wondering what qualities of it would justify such a high price? In my experience organic turmeric can be purchased at a fraction of that price.

The list of ingredients on the company website is: "Turmeric, and the X Factor Blend including Cinnamon, Coconut Powder, the essential Black Pepper, Green Tea, Liquorice, Kelp, Fennel, Vanilla, Aniseed, Caraway, Ginger, Clove, Cardamon and more." I must say I do wonder what that "and more" is. The listed herbs can be purchased separately and mixed together at a much lower price.

It would be helpful if you could share what specific qualities make this product worth the high price so we can look into it :)

That seems a bit like cable, where they won't let you order a channel separately, you have to buy it in a bundle, which of course is more expensive. Good for them, not so good for you. I would say it is just marketing, and just stick to the turmeric, which is, like you said, fairly cheap. Who even knows how all those ingredients interact with one another. At least the studies done on turmeric alone are quite significant.

Hello H2O said:
Ant22 said:
(...)

That seems a bit like cable, where they won't let you order a channel separately, you have to buy it in a bundle, which of course is more expensive. Good for them, not so good for you. I would say it is just marketing, and just stick to the turmeric, which is, like you said, fairly cheap. Who even knows how all those ingredients interact with one another. At least the studies done on turmeric alone are quite significant.

Good point about the interaction of the ingredients Hello H2O, I didn't even think of that! The website is very pretty and esthetic and the testimonials may sound convincing to some but I can't see any medical and scientific explanation of how these ingredients work together to provide health benefits.

Meanderthal said he's a botanist and a doctor and with such credentials behind him maybe he could shed some light on these doubts by providing links to research we could read through?

Also, I already have a lot of these ingredients on my spice rack and I really don't see anything worth the inflated price on the list. Buying little spice jars and mixing them up would add up to £20 at most - and that's assuming I'd buy 1kg of organic turmeric. Like this one for example. It's 3% curcumin and not 5% but I don't think the additional 2% is worth the extraorbitant price.

Not to mention that this seller only ships to Australia so I wouldn't be able to purchase it anyway.

Hello Ant22, from my reading I found that the properties of Turmeric are enhanced by the Black Pepper.

As for Turmeric itself, I once asked some Nutritionists on Twitter what food I could use to lengthen or regenerate my Telomeres, which are the ends of your chromosomes - they get depleted every time the cell divides, and when you run out of telomeres, the cell dies, or goes into apoptosis. The answer they came back with was Turmeric!
So it is an anti-aging property.

One other thing, I clicked on the link (this one) you provided, and it didn't work.

MusicMan said:
Hello Ant22, from my reading I found that the properties of Turmeric are enhanced by the Black Pepper.

As for Turmeric itself, I once asked some Nutritionists on Twitter what food I could use to lengthen or regenerate my Telomeres, which are the ends of your chromosomes - they get depleted every time the cell divides, and when you run out of telomeres, the cell dies, or goes into apoptosis. The answer they came back with was Turmeric!
So it is an anti-aging property.

One other thing, I clicked on the link (this one) you provided, and it didn't work.

Hi MusicMan, I totally agree with you and I have no doubt about the health benefits of turmeric, I myself add it to my cooking due to its qualities too. I'm aware of the benefits of turmeric combined with black pepper. The ones that interest me the most are its anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. Also, I have a condition called Leiden V factor which makes me prone to blood clots and turmeric is a natural blood thinner so yeah, I'm definitely sold on benefits of this little plant :) In moderation of course as it can also have side effects. Well, just like pretty much anything else I guess ;).

I'm sorry the link I attached didn't work. Here it is again: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Turmeric-Powder-500g-Pouches/dp/B01D8MXRZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497336640&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=organic+turmeric&psc=1

I'm sorry if I caused confusion, I certainly have no doubt that turmeric is a really beneficial product! I guess I was surprised to see the price of $80 for a 360g tub. I admit that I probably came across a little too suspicious. I do in fact wonder what makes this specific product worth the price as I haven't found enough justification for it. :)

Today I was reading about turmeric, because it’s something I never uses it for the cooking. But it seems like best remedy for anti-cancer effects or cure.

Turmeric, a kitchen spice that comes from India and Southeast Asia, is often used by traditional healers because it can help address inflammation, regulate blood sugar and fight infections.

But turmeric’s benefits go beyond these traditional uses. According to ongoing research, the spice’s active ingredient, curcumin, can be used to prevent cancer.

Many studies have shown that turmeric has anti-cancer effects and that it can help reduce the number and size of tumors.

According to a study conducted by researchers from the University of California San Diego School of Medicine, Peking University and Zhejiang University, turmeric can target aggressive and lethal forms of cancer and leave noncancerous cells unharmed.

The study was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

For the study, the researchers used biochemical, mouse cancer and cellular models to verify that curcumin can efficiently inhibit an enzyme known as dual-specificity tyrosine-regulated kinase 2 (DYRK2).

The research team used state-of-the-art X-ray crystallography to obtain 3D images showing curcumin can bind to DYRK2. This is important because DYRK2 inhibition impairs the activity of proteasomes, or protein complexes, linked to the development of cancer.

The researchers reported that suppressing proteasome activity in cancer cells interferes with proliferation, which helps reduce tumors and slows the growth of cancer.

Curcumin targets weakness of aggressive, hard-to-treat cancers

Certain cancers, such as multiple myeloma and triple-negative breast cancer, are classified as “proteasome-addicted.” This means these cancers are dependent on proteasome complexes.

Impairing the activity of proteasomes helps inhibit tumor development, and researchers think that this very dependency could be the weakness of aggressive and hard-to-treat cancers. While pharmaceutical proteasome inhibitors have already been developed and approved, they have a significant disadvantage: These medications tend to damage noncancerous cells.

To address this issue, researchers have tried to focus on inhibiting proteasome activity indirectly by identifying and manipulating proteasome regulators. Their search for suitable agents led them to turmeric and its active component curcumin.

Curcumin depletes DYRK2 and suppresses proteasome activity with very little damage to surrounding healthy cells. Curcumin works by boosting the cancer-fighting effects of pharmaceutical proteasome inhibitors, suggesting that smaller dosages and fewer side effects may be possible.

When used with carfilzomib, curcumin helped boost apoptosis, or cancer cell death, and caused minimal harm to healthy cells. Carfilzomib is an FDA-approved proteasome inhibitor used to treat multiple myeloma.

Aside from impairing the DYRK2 enzyme and inhibiting proteasome activity, curcumin also offers an impressive variety of pathways through which it can fight cancer:

5. Fresh Herbs and Spices
Turmeric, which contains the active ingredient curcumin, is one of the most powerful ingredients in an anti-cancer diet because it’s been shown to decrease tumor size and fight colon and breast cancer. Along with easy-to-use black pepper, turmeric absorption is enhanced and better able to fight inflammation. Aim for one teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper or more daily, which can easily be used in a tonic drink, with eggs or in a veggie stir fry. You can also take curcumin supplements; aim for 1,000 milligrams daily.

Back
Top Bottom