Our cat has a bump on his tail.

Glenn

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hello. Our cat, Link, has a bump or growth on his tail, and I was wondering if any of the vets had an idea what this was, and if it is dangerous or not. I will include pictures that we took of it.

Not sure how long he has had it, as we got him as an adult about 2 years ago. I remember that he had the bump at the time we got him, but it seems it has grown in the mean time.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Just a note, we took him to a vet within the last year for a check up and blood work, and the vet did not say anything about it at that time. That's what makes me think it is not serious. I did forget to ask specifically about it when we took him in.20200330_134444.jpg20200330_134424.jpg20200330_134429.jpg20180223_220351.jpg

apply DMSO on it ( I would use the pure 99% solution and see what happens. It might cause a little reddening of the skin. And it can't do any harm, I promise u.

Not sure what it could be either. I found some information on lumps and bumps here. Perhaps @Deckard and @Keit will have an idea? I would recommend to take him to the vet for it - just to make sure it's nothing serious (if possible, considering the silly lockdowns all over!).

Not sure how long he has had it, as we got him as an adult about 2 years ago. I remember that he had the bump at the time we got him, but it seems it has grown in the mean time.

I am sure Dekard may provide a more experienced feedback, but taking into account kittie's age and the fact that the lump has been growing, I think it could be a mast cell tumor.

Here's a pic of mast cell tumors, but they can also have a different appearance. They mostly localized on the face, neck, and also there are usually more than one. But they can be found on the tail as well.

Cat.png

Here's information about it:

But it can be something else as well. It depends on the consistency of the growth (if it is firm or fluctuates), if it's itchy, if there is anything oozing from it, itc. Things like this.

You can take Link to the vet, they will aspirate the growth, then do cytology, and then will be able to know for sure. :flowers:

Last edited:
To me it doesn't look like mast cell tumor, of course this is based on experience and the ultimate diagnosis can be made only with cytology or histopathology. Like Keit said, fine needle aspiration is non invasive procedure to make microscopic sample which in over 80% of the cases can rule out malignancy. If not the growth will have to be removed and sent to histopathology lab.

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, doesn't look like the ones in the pics. It is white and dry.

I guess we will take it to the vet, once things are back up and running, and have it looked at. They aren't open with this lockdown..

I'm sure Dekard can give more experienced feedback, but taking into account the kitten's age and the fact that the tumor is growing, I think it could be a mast cell tumor.
Please take your pet to the nearest veterinary station and you can find information at petdiseasenet to know more about this issue.

Back
Top Bottom