Painting: Moses on Mount Sinai by Jean-Léon Gérôme

Mikey

The Living Force
I encountered this painting of Moses on Mount Sinai by Jean-Léon Gérôme, and found the visual interpretation curious, intended or unintended by the painter: The mountain looks like an erupting volcano, and what are these two rays coming out of Moses head? 'Horns'?

800px-G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me%2C_Jean-L%C3%A9on_-_Moses_on_Mount_Sinai_Jean-L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_-1895-1900.jpg

Could it be an interesting addition to original painting? Found this version of painting on WikiArt without the rays shooting out of head.

moses-on-mount-sinai-1900.jpg!Large.jpg

What you have described as an "erupting volcano" may be the artist's depiction of the burning bush, perhaps?

The burning bush episode allegedly happened before Moses started his mission and was still in exile, whereas the Mount Sinai situation was somehow the pinnacle of the Exodus saga -- almost at the end of his task.

From Exodus 19, 16-20 (NLV translation)

16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning. A cloud covered the mountain, and a very loud horn sounded. All the people among the tents shook with fear. 17 Then Moses brought the people from among the tents to meet God. They stood at the base of the mountain. 18 Mount Sinai was all in smoke because the Lord came down upon it in fire. Its smoke went up like the smoke of a stove. And the whole mountain shook. 19 The sound of the horn became louder and louder. Moses spoke, and God answered him with thunder. 20 Then the Lord came down upon Mount Sinai, to the top of the mountain. The Lord called Moses to the top of the mountain, and he went up.

So it´s supposed to depict thunder, lightning, fire, smoke and earthquake. All that may well have culminated in a volcanic eruption.

As for the painting, at first I thought it would be a depiction of the sun behind Moses.

The rays from Moses` head are supposed to be some sort of radiance or aureola.

Burning bush scene:

images

Moses.jpg

Radiance and aureola:

039.Moses_Comes_Down_from_Mount_Sinai.jpg

3c32c9d92720fa236cf153d956ce375d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom