Paleo Sprite

Mr. Premise

The Living Force
I made a nice soda recently. The carbonated base was seltzer water to which I added a little lemon extract (organic, GMO free, and gluten free) a little lime extract (same brand), some vitamin C powder for acidity and four or five drops of stevia extract. Tasted great, probably would taste much better with Xylitol instead of Stevia.

I also had some orange extract so I made another glass and added some vanilla extract and ended up with an orange cream soda.

A nice way to consume vitamin C in the summer.

I've done something similar with the little Pellegrino carbonated spring water bottles. They're maybe 8 fl. oz. I add maybe 10 drops of liquid stevia and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Then I drink it with a straw. It's really good and as close to a Sprite that I'll get!

3D Student said:
I've done something similar with the little Pellegrino carbonated spring water bottles. They're maybe 8 fl. oz. I add maybe 10 drops of liquid stevia and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Then I drink it with a straw. It's really good and as close to a Sprite that I'll get!

Lemon extract is better than lemon juice because lemon juice has tons of sugar, more than orange juice IIRC. It's just masked by higher amounts of citric acid. And the extract has more lemon flavor (most of the flavor is in the oil in the rind).

Mr. Premise said:
Lemon extract is better than lemon juice because lemon juice has tons of sugar, more than orange juice IIRC. It's just masked by higher amounts of citric acid. And the extract has more lemon flavor (most of the flavor is in the oil in the rind).

Everywhere I've checked has said lemon's have very little sugar (roughly 1.5 grams/ lemon). Are you referring to store bought lemon juice?

Renaissance said:
Mr. Premise said:

Everywhere I've checked has said lemon's have very little sugar (roughly 1.5 grams/ lemon). Are you referring to store bought lemon juice?
Looks like you're right. Good to know. It was something I heard years ago but it must have been wrong.

Renaissance said:
Mr. Premise said:

I was using organic lemon juice and one tablespoon was about 2 grams of carbs. So it wasn't something you'd want to use for say, those 1/2 cup of lemon juice and olive oil flushes.

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Premise.

I was an avid soda addict for years (unfortunately) which is probably why I still prefer carbonated water to this day to regular water, so I very much appreciate you and others sharing your 'recipes' :)
Will definitely try and experiment with them.

Edit: choice of water would be Schweppes in my case, as I haven't found anything else that matches it's quality, osit.

I've been drinking about 3 cups of sparkling water daily for about a month now and it's improved my digestion and reduced the acne on my face! My preference is La Croix.

I just made a ginger spritzer from the recipe below. It is very good and refreshing. But it is not for people who don't like ginger in their drinks, it is 'gingerly'.

http://www.insonnetskitchen.com/non-alcoholic-ginger-spritzer/

Ginger Spritzer
Serves 2

one two-inch piece of fresh ginger root, chopped
1.5 cups of plain (filtered) water
16 oz sparkling water
Ice
Lemon for garnish

plus I added some lime juice and xylitol before serving.

I've been drinking just plain flat filtered water + cut up lemon, it is a bit tangy the first few times I had it but now it is just very refreshing. I can't stand to drink the normal sugary lemonade sold in the states anymore... but I think I'll give it a try with sparkling water now that I saw this thread.

For anyone still living in extreme heat, I recommend Strong fruit tea + water, mixed with a small amount of xylitol and vitamin C in an ice cream maker (or even just frozen solid). It tastes amazing :cool2:

Carlise said:
For anyone still living in extreme heat, I recommend Strong fruit tea + water, mixed with a small amount of xylitol and vitamin C in an ice cream maker (or even just frozen solid). It tastes amazing :cool2:

And the same thing with powdered gelatin added makes a nice and refreshing gelo. :)

Thanks you all, I will experience your recipes.

I've made almond milk:
-100 Gr skinned raw almonds, soaked or dry, triturating very well with a little water
- Filter the contents and add water, filtered or bottled, up 500ml. You can add more or less water to your taste.
- Sweetened with stevia and add ground cinnamon or cinnamon stick if you like.
Cold from the fridge is rich too.

Good ol' Sprite.

I will have to try your recipe. I gave up on trying to find substitutes for the carbs that I craved the most and for the most part it has worked but that's only because I do occasionally give in and consume the little devils.

I have found Stevia works best when trying to change the flavor because it has it's own little "fruity" hints. When trying to recreate something as close as possible, Xylitol is the way for me to go because it is almost flavorless to me.

Back
Top Bottom