Philippines: Rodrigo Duterte and the West

Cosmos

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I didn't find a topic about Duterte or the Philippines so I thought I open a topic about it.

Just watched his recent interview with him on RT here:

https://youtu.be/rHjlCmdyesY

A short summary:

- Relations to the US
- Drug problem in his country
- Independence of his country from the US-Empire
- Trump Situation
- Catholic church and priests and what they have done to the country
- Wants to develop a good relationship with Russia and China because they are the only countries that not engage in double talk as the US is doing
- Relationship with China and why he sees no reason to dispute about landmasses belong to them or the Philipins at this point, there are more important topics right now, maybe later. Also makes clear that Philippines would not have a chance whatsoever militarily against China

Interesting interview that gives a bit of an inside on Duterte's thinking and the situation in his country. I have to say that I can understand his position and the need to fight the empire and the drug problem for the safety of his country. So far I think he is one of the most outspoken politicians on the world stage I have seen. In regards to some of the pretty hard measures he is taking, I can't say I know the situation there and in how far these extreme measures are what is needed. One could argue that drastic situations call for drastic measures and it seems like the Philippines are in just such a drastic situation.

Here is an article from Sott with the transcript of the above video:

- [url=https://www.sott.net/article/351830-Duterte-The-US-EU-meddle-in-other-countries-and-kill-people-under-guise-of-human-rights-concerns]Duterte: The 'US, EU meddle in other countries and kill people under guise of human rights concerns'

Here are two other recent articles about Duterte from SOTT:

- Duterte slams America on eve of Putin meeting
- Buh-bye backstabbing Western imperialists! Duterte arrives in Moscow with aim of increasing ties with Russia

Many more articles can be found here.

Recently he had also something to say about George Soros, after which Soros apparently canceled his trip to the country:

- President Duterte Warns George Soros ‘There Is A Bounty On Your Head’:
“There is a special place in hell for you, idiot. Set one foot in this country and my duty is to make you go straight there.”

His stands on smoking are pretty drastic too, obviously based on propaganda. A couple of days ago he imposed a ban:
_http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/05/18/17/duterte-signs-executive-order-on-nationwide-smoking-ban

Forgot to add that he also talked about attempts of the CIA to kill him and that such a thing is not a new story.

Here is a rare look at how a phone call between two leader of a country happens. Trump called Duterte at the beginning of his presidency and that moment was recorded. Only a couple of seconds in the beginning have audio, the rest has been removed, I guess because of sensible material in the talks:

https://youtu.be/c6HNWeODQ6A

Here is what Duterte had to say right after the end of the call:

https://youtu.be/MkwsE2DOZDY

Thank you Pashalis for all this information. I will start to follow this man, I, in a sort of way, like him. Thanks!

The Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte arrived in Moscow to meet with Vladimir Putin to expand partnership and ask for assistance in arms procurement. Sputnik Radio spoke with expert Dmitry Ofitserov-Belsky in an interview about how Russia should react to such a request.

Duterte Asks Putin for 'Help and Support in Fight Against Daesh'
https://sputniknews.com/politics/201705241053942230-duterte-asks-putin-help-against-daesh/

According to Duterte, the Philippines needs modern weaponry to fight Daesh and expressed hope that Moscow would assist his country in obtaining arms.

“Our country needs modern weapons, we had certain orders in the US, but currently the situation is not very smooth and in order to fight Daesh divisions and its individual factions, we need modern weapons. I have come to gain your support and ask for your help,” Duterte said.

In addition, the leader of the Philippines said that the two countries should develop trade relations. “We need to develop trade exchange,” he said.

The Russian president in turn noted that Russia and the Philippines have many joint projects, including in terms of military-technical cooperation.

During an interview with Sputnik radio, associate professor at the Higher School of Economics Dmitry Ofitserov-Belsky said that there are various economic spheres in which Russia and the Philippines could successfully cooperate with one another.

“Despite the fact that there are a lot of projects, the overall trade between Russia and the Philippines is still small but there are some issues that concern common interests, for example, the cost of nickel in the world market,” Belsky said.

He further said Russia and the Philippines are one of the largest producers of nickel ore and finished nickel.

“I think that Russia, for example, can help the Philippines in both developing and processing nickel ore on its own territory and that can stabilize prices for this resource in the international market,” Ofitserov-Belsky said.

According to the analyst, the president of the Philippines has every reason to state that the country needs modern weapons to fight against terrorist groups.

“This is a very serious risk. The Philippines is a multi-confessional country, on some islands there is an exclusively Muslim population that is rapidly radicalized. Currently, there is actually a war going on between the government forces and radical Islamists. It may be just the beginning of more serious problems,” Ofitserov-Belsky said.

Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law on Tuesday on the southern island of Mindanao, following the deadly firefight between government security forces and Islamists, Filipino Foreign Minister Alan Peter Cayetano said on Tuesday.

The Philippine southern island of Mindanao is regularly subjected to attacks by terrorist groups, in particular, Maute, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Abu Sayyaf militant groups, linked with Daesh.

According to the analyst, considering the situation with terrorism, it may of course be necessary to help the Philippines in this matter, but probably not in terms of the “first aid” as maybe Duterte was hoping.

It could be by giving recommendations, perhaps, armaments, if, of course, we are satisfied with the conditions,” the analyst concluded.

Earlier, the Philippines' leader said that the country "would be the first to join" if China and Russia "will decide to create a new order." He also said that Manila intends to cooperate with Moscow and Beijing rather than with Washington, amid a rift in relations with the United States.

Such statements by Duterte have provoked suggestions that Manila is preparing a dramatic change in its foreign policy, including turning away from one of its main allies, the US.

Rodrigo Duterte said that he is ready to apply martial law in his country to solve the conflict in Mindanao province and prevent Philippines from decline.

Duterte Ready to Declare Martial Law to Prevent Philippines From Collapse
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201705221053848977-philippines-martial-law/

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said in an interview with Russian media he is ready to apply martial law in his country to solve the conflict in Mindanao province and prevent Philippines from decline.

"If I am to declare martial law, I am going to complete the story. I will begin from the first chapter until the end of the chapter… I will not allow my country to [collapse]. Even if I have to declare martial law or kill people, I will do it," Duterte said.

The Philippine leader stressed that he was ready to opt for such measures not to remain in power but to protect the country.

"I said if I am to declare martial law, it is not to perpetuate myself in power… As president I have to preserve and defend the Philippines, and I will exactly do it nation whatever be the price," Duterte said.

Militants affiliated with Islamic State are vying for control of the city of Marawi in the Philippines. President Rodrigo Duterte put the island of Mindanao under martial law, ordered in special forces and cut short his state visit to Russia.

Philippines crisis: Duterte declares martial law on Mindanao in face of ISIS-linked onslaught (Video)
https://www.rt.com/news/389452-duterte-isis-philippines-martial-law/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghvTYmeQ-BU (0:33 min.)

Islamist-extremist insurgents from the Maute group are engaging government forces in firefights and the area, which boasts a population of 200,000, is now on lockdown, according to Philippines authorities.

Local reports indicate the militants have established checkpoints in the city.

Facebook posts by Marawi residents depict photos of fighters, clad in black, moving through streets while heavily armed. Local media reports the Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) flag flies over a medical center while other residents are tweeting that buildings have been set ablaze and roads blocked.

President Duterte declared martial law for a 60-day period. Authorities have asked the public not to share any information which could “compromise operational security.”

A government official said in a press conference Tuesday that the whole of Marawi city has been blacked out with snipers patrolling the streets as government troops continue to engage with the insurgents.

Duterte is cutting short his state visit to Moscow to return to the Philippines.

Eyewitnesses have reported that the Maute group,who are also known as the Islamic State of Lanao, have set fire to a jail and a college in the city.

Earlier on Tuesday Reuters reported that five Philippine soldiers were wounded when they raided an apartment housing militants.

Army spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Jo-ar Herrera, said the military was acting on information that Isnilon Hapilon, a leader of the Abu Sayyaf rebel group, was among the militants hiding in the apartment.

The US State Department has a bounty of up to $5 million for Hapilon's arrest.

Late last month Philippines security forces claimed they killed 36 Maute fighters and captured the rebels’ base during a three-day operation.

'They want me to fight China. It’s gonna be a massacre!' - Duterte to RT (FULL INTERVIEW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHjlCmdyesY&feature=em-uploademail (23:40 min.)

Published on May 22, 2017
The Philippines should have stronger ties with Russia and China, as Western nations are only interested in double talk and disregard Philippines interests, President Rodrigo Duterte told RT and other Russian media ahead of his visit to Moscow.

The city of Marawi is under ISIS control. The city is located in southern Philippines.

Why is nobody talking about this?! Philippine city fallen to ISIS! (Tweets - Facebook links)
http://investmentwatchblog.com/why-is-nobody-talking-about-this-philippine-city-fallen-to-isis/

CNN Philippines’ Chief Correspondent Pia Hontiveros gives us live updates on the clash between government forces and Maute group in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Wednesday that martial law that he imposed in the southern province of Mindanao could last up to a year.

President Duterte Says Martial Law in Philippines’ Mindanao May Last a Year
https://sputniknews.com/asia/201705241053920536-duterte-mindanao-martial-law-year/

Martial law declared on the southern island of Mindanao in Philippines may last for a year if needed, Duterte said.

"How long? Well, if it would take a year to do, then we'll do it. If it's over in a month, I'd be happy," Duterte said on a plane on his way back to the Philippines from Russia.

On Tuesday, Duterte declared martial law in Mindanao following the deadly firefight between government security forces and Islamists. Duterte also cut his visit to Russia and rescheduled the meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin for late Tuesday.

Among the terrorist groups that are active on the island of Mindanao are Maute, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Abu Sayyaf militant groups, linked with the Islamic State terrorist group, outlawed in Russia and other countries.

Rodrigo Duterte said that Philippines is interested in purchasing Russian helicopters and planes, as well as precision-guided weapons, to fight against rebels across the country.

Philippines Interested in Buying Russian Precision-Guided Weapons, Aircraft
https://sputniknews.com/world/201705221053847044-philippines-russia-weapons/

The Philippines is interested in purchasing Russian helicopters and planes, as well as precision-guided weapons, to fight against rebels across the country, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said in an interview with Russian media.

"We are just fighting a rebellion, just like in Russia. They are just a few numbers but [they are causing] havoc… You need intelligence and precision-guided weapons. We do not have that kind of technology. It is just arms, small arms and rockets that can hit earth with accuracy. And what is very importance with insurgency is helicopters and planes, not jets but propeller-driven — less expensive but more effective in fighting small number of terrorists in ares of conflict," Duterte said ahead a week-long visit to Russia.

Rodrigo Duterte said that during his visit to Russia he might try to convince Russian President Putin to supply Philippines with arms.

"I think I would need to convince President Putin to give us the arms. It is not much, actually. It is small land rockets, but that can hit with high precision," Duterte said in an interview with Russian media.

According to Duterte, Russia has advanced high precision systems and is better in production of this type of military equipment compared to the United States.

Philippines will be open to new military alliances, including with Beijing and Moscow, if the international security deteriorates, Philippine President said in an interview with Russian media.

"If the situation in all over the world [gets worse], I will not be forced, but I will be open to defense alliance. Because it is only Russia and China who can be reliable," Duterte said on the eve of his week-long visit to Russia.

"America is double talk. The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. So there will always be a problem, there will always be misconceptions and probably a dislike, if not hatred for one another," he added.

Philippine President said in an interview with Russian media he has turned down an invitation to attend US President Donald Trump's inauguration in January in favor of first visiting Russia.

"I have not been there. I have been invited to attend the swearing-in of Trump, but I said 'not yet because I have to go to Russia'," Duterte said ahead of his week-long trip to Russia that launches on Monday.

Duterte is a pretty fascinating character. He can be bombastic in his speech at times (often hilariously so), but if you listen to his speeches and different interviews he comes across as a sincere and determined person who truly wants what is best for the people. Despite many Filipinos holding a high regard for the US and an adopted mistrust towards China, he's been able to set a positive course for his country. His war on drugs is important because the drug trade has kept The Philippines extremely corrupt for decades and in general chaos. He was the mayor of Davao City for around 20 years and turned it from one of the most dangerous cities in the Philippines to one of the safest in the world. Early on in his presidency he publicly released a list of corrupt officials connected to the drug trade which included a number of high ranking people. That really set off the West!

But I think the developing ties with China and Russia is where there is the most hope. Aquino, the previous president of the Philippies was rabidly anti-China and an all-around US stooge. He championed the South China Sea dispute, pushed by the US. On more than one occasion he compared China to Nazi Germany.

So, Duterte comes in and seeks to correct the total lunacy of antagonism towards China. He wants to be partners, which makes total sense. All the criticism from Western media about his war on drugs is really just a veiled attack on The Philippines sovereignty and their policy shift towards the East.

The Philippines does have a problem with extremism in the south, and it's pretty interesting that Duterte had to cut his visit short in Russia due to the ISIS-linked groups ramping things up. Hopefully he was able to establish agreements for weapons aid and or intelligence from Russia when he met with Putin. Reports says some on his team stayed in Moscow to finalize such agreements.

Renaissance said:
[...]The Philippines does have a problem with extremism in the south, and it's pretty interesting that Duterte had to cut his visit short in Russia due to the ISIS-linked groups ramping things up. Hopefully he was able to establish agreements for weapons aid and or intelligence from Russia when he met with Putin. Reports says some on his team stayed in Moscow to finalize such agreements.

Sound like it was a successful meeting despite his forced leave:

https://youtu.be/z6MtCrfLqX0

My wife is Filipino and I have found it interesting when we get together with family and friends that they have big support for Duterte.

I remember following the election there before he was elected, and there was some odd things happening. First, he didn't commit to the race until late, and then he was sort of back in the pack. I think he was deliberately kept low in the polls at first, but when the election neared, he seemed to shoot up. Maybe they wanted to correct things so to not look so foolish on election day.

We get Filipino TV on our cable and can see the news from there. It is not much different than here. Same stories almost verbatim. From what I see, they don't attack him on the level of Trump, at least from the little I have seen. I think most of the propaganda against Duterte is directed more to Western eyes and ears.

I have noticed similarities between Trump & Duterte. Both are around 70. Both speak off the cuff & do not filter. Both seem to love their country. They want to put their country first. (imagine!). They say outrageous things. Neither seems to give a stuff what others think!! Both greatly value family & the common people above the (self-called) elite. Both are opposed to terrorism. Neither cares for *snowflake* types. Both call out the fake news. Both speak directly to the people.

They seem to *recognize* each other. I especially like Dutertes statement in the recent SOTT report that half of what he says is a joke. He wants to bring humour back to the Phillipines. Kinda like Trump when he makes outrageous demands in business, really willing to settle for the desired middle ground.
Humour is a vastly under-valued tool.

Funny that 2 of the leaders I like are so similar in their approach & so popular with the masses. Duterte makes me laugh with his f-you attitude.

Love his:
(Duterte) If a leader does not know what choice to make between drug-dealers & his people, then he is not fit to be a leader.
Try telling this to congress.

Maybe our Mr. Putin is influencing the people with his rationality!! Might be contagious!! (wishful thinking).

There have been a few reports in the past that the southern island of Mindanao in the Philippines was used by "ethnic Chinese organized crime groups" to fly in drugs and transfer them onto cargo ships for distribution throughout Southeast Asia ports. Just before Aquino, an African drug trafficking outfit tried to take over the Chinese crime groups territory and there was some in fighting. I never came across an updated report to see if the Chinese group was kicked out and replaced or what happened there? The Aquino administration did try to crack down on drug dealers and began counter-drug operations but it effected little change. Duterte, on the other hand, is taking the Bull-by-the-Horns.

Russia and the Philippines on Wednesday signed a total of eight cooperation agreements at a ceremony held in Moscow, a Sputnik correspondent reported.

Russia, Philippines Sign Eight Cooperation Agreements
https://sputniknews.com/world/201705241053951970-russia-philippines-cooperation-agreement/

Following the signing ceremony, Philippine Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said that Moscow and Manila signed agreements that were devoted to cooperation in the fields of agriculture, defense, humanitarian issues, industry, nuclear energy, transportation, trade and tourism.

I'd like to thank our host, the Russian Federation, especially President [Vladimir] Putin. On the instructions of President Duterte, [I'd like to express] our appreciation for his understanding of the situation in the Philippines and the necessity for President Duterte to return home andcut short his trip. We thank his excellency President Putin for most graciously adjusting his schedule," Cayetano said at a press conference.

The foreign secretary said the Filipino president was interested in getting the best equipment for the Armed Forces to fight terrorism while avoiding collateral damage.

He said Russia was open for contracts with the Philippines. "President Putin was very generous. He said we have framework in place to cooperate. Make the proposals. We will study them and we will do all efforts to accommodate," Cayetano told reporters.

He stressed that neither Russia nor the Philippines was seeking to build a military alliance and the military equipment the Filipino government had an eye on – including smart bombs – would only be used for counter-terrorism purposes.

The Philippines expresses interest in Russian counterterrorism equipment, Rosoboronexport spokesperson told reporters Wednesday.

Philippines Shows Interest in Russian Counterterrorism Equipment - Arms Exporter
https://sputniknews.com/military/201705241053930029-russia-philippines-antiterror-means/

The Philippines shows interest in Russian counterterrorism equipment, Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport Alexander Mikheyev told reporters Wednesday.

"Interest in mobile means of combating terrorists, small arms, means of protecting critical infrastructure," Mikheyev said.

Philippines leader Rodrigo Duterte, at a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, said Tuesday that the Philippines needed modern weapons and would ask for assistance from Russia.

Thanks Pashalis for opening this thread, especially given the recent events.

True to form then Human Rights Watch is concerned about the declaring of martial law in the southern Province in the Philippines. This follows very much the script from Syria, where HRW and other NGOs were critical of the government and not the terrorists.

Patrick Henningsen, Executive Editor of 21st Century Wire.com makes the same connection.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/389699-philippines-isis-martial-law/

Philippines 'Dirty' Duterte facing ‘same ISIS dynamic’ as Assad in Syria
Published time: 25 May, 2017 13:31
Edited time: 25 May, 2017 15:50

Someone has unleashed ISIS, which forces the Filipino government to come down hard, to declare martial law, and then the international organizations will demonize Duterte, Patrick Henningsen, Executive Editor of 21st Century Wire.com, told RT.

RT: With terrorism as his new target, do you think Duterte will receive much international support, given that his war on drugs was condemned by many and called too brutal?

Patrick Henningsen: This President is already under intense scrutiny by the sort of wider international community, if you will, and specifically by the US. He has sort of gone at loggerheads with Washington on more than one occasion. This is a bit of a tight spot, a bit of a Catch-22 for Duterte in the Philippines because he will already have been somewhat demonized for his heavy-handed approach to organized crime and the organized drug trade that has affected his country. So comparisons will be made to Ferdinand Marcos. This is bit of public relations issue for this President and this government. It will have to be ironed out.

At the end of the day he is in the exact same situation, very similar situation that Bashar Assad in Syria was in early on in the sort of the terrorist takeover of that country in the early days of the FSA, and then Al-Nusra Front, and then later ISIS. So he has to balance out this public relations issue – is he too heavy-handed? Most people would say looking at Syria that you can’t be heavy-handed enough when it comes to dealing with ISIS. So we’ll see how much progress he makes on the island in the next few weeks.

RT: With terrorism apparently spreading around the world, don't you think Duterte-style harsh measures should be an option now?

PH: What is really interesting if you look at Syria, as the test case, we just came back from Syria on a one-month fact-finding mission. If there was any criticism of Assad – especially early on in 2011-2012, but especially in the beginning of the crisis in Syria – the criticism from Syrians would have been: “He wasn’t heavy-handed enough.” You can sort of look at that situation and Duterte is probably looking at that situation in Syria, and then taking a sort of more tougher tack because if this gets out of hand, if he starts losing cities, towns, provinces or governorates to terrorist control, then you have a really big problem on your hands. There is also this issue of military equipment. Are they ready to deal with that size of a problem? Quite possibly not. And if they are, they will need to be able to sort of rearm and modernize some paramilitary aspects of the Philippine forces, which they may be or not may not be ready for. So going in hard, going in strong in the beginning, might seem like a better option now after looking at what has happened in Syria over the last six years.

RT: Human Rights Watch [HRW] has already called on Duterte to ensure the rights of civilians would be protected under the law. Do you think the watchdog is being subjective? Would it happen with any other country?

PH: HRW took the same tack with the government in Syria and President Bashar Assad for the last five or six years. Here we have the Philippines, geopolitical foe for the moment of the US, of the West. It’s getting the same treatment from the NGO complex, led by people like HRW and Amnesty International, who will then sort of wage a public relations war against governments that maybe aren’t friendly at the moment to the US.

Certainly, that is what we’ve seen with Syria. Someone unleashes ISIS - if this is indeed ISIS in the Philippines - someone has unleashed ISIS. Then the government is forced to come down hard, to declare martial law, and then the international organizations will demonize this government. So this is an exact same formula as what we saw in Syria, albeit on a smaller scale, on a smaller level. Essentially, we’re looking at the same dynamic, and especially with the negative public relations side that the Philippine government is looking at, just like Syria went through.

This interview is 6 months old, but still relevant I think.

''I see a lot of these Western nations bulling small nations. And not only that, they are into so much hypocrisy.''

Duterte talks to Putin about distrust with US, hypocrisy of the West (2 min)

https://youtu.be/khw1zfJcNeg

angelburst29 said:
There have been a few reports in the past that the southern island of Mindanao in the Philippines was used by "ethnic Chinese organized crime groups" to fly in drugs and transfer them onto cargo ships for distribution throughout Southeast Asia ports. Just before Aquino, an African drug trafficking outfit tried to take over the Chinese crime groups territory and there was some in fighting. I never came across an updated report to see if the Chinese group was kicked out and replaced or what happened there? The Aquino administration did try to crack down on drug dealers and began counter-drug operations but it effected little change. Duterte, on the other hand, is taking the Bull-by-the-Horns.

As I understand it, the modern South East Asian drug trade has it's roots in the Chinese Nationalists armies that fought against Communist China in the late 40's. They retreated to Taiwan and parts of the army were organized to be mercenaries and drug smugglers that went on to develop the Golden Triangle drug trade. They were financed by none other than the CIA. I think it's a very fair assessment to say they still have their hand in the game. Since Aquino was such a puppet for the US, it's not a surprise that nothing came out of his anti-drug program at the time, particularly since it's been so tied in with the Deep State choke-hold over The Philippines.

ILIGAN, Philippines (AP) — Foreign fighters are among the militants linked to the Islamic State group who are battling government troops in the southern Philippines, an official said Friday. Solicitor General Jose Calida said Indonesians and Malaysians are fighting alongside the gunmen who attacked Marawi, a city of some 200,000 people on Mindanao island.

Philippines says foreigners among IS-linked gunmen in south
https://www.mail.com/news/world/5222116-philippines-foreigners-is-linked-gunmen-south.html#.5222116-stage-mostviewed1-2

"What is happening in Mindanao is no longer a rebellion of Filipino citizens," Calida told reporters. "It has transmogrified into an invasion by foreign terrorists who heeded the clarion call of ISIS."

Philippine troops backed by armored vehicles and rocket-firing helicopters are fighting to re-take control of Marawi, which has been under siege by gunmen linked to the IS group since a raid earlier this week failed to capture one of Asia's most-wanted militants.

Rebels have torn through the streets of Marawi since Tuesday night, torching buildings, taking a priest and his worshippers hostage and sealing off much of the city. The violence forced thousands to flee and raised fears of growing extremism in the country.

At least 44 people have died in the fighting, including 31 militants and 11 soldiers, officials said Thursday. It was not immediately clear whether civilians were among the dead. In a sign of the confusion over events inside the city, a local police chief told The Associated Press on Friday that he was alive and well — two days after President Rodrigo Duterte told the media he had been beheaded by militants.

Police Chief Romeo Enriquez said there may have been confusion because his predecessor in Malabang, a town near Marawi, was killed in the fighting on Tuesday, although he was not beheaded. As authorities worked to clear the city, residents spoke of their terror.

"At night we can hear the gunfire," said Mohammad Usman, who watched from his home just outside Marawi as thousands of residents streamed out of the city Thursday. "I'm just praying that the bullets will not find their way to my house and hit us. I hope that the bombs will not land nearby and harm us."

Duterte imposed 60 days of martial law Tuesday on the island of Mindanao, a traditional homeland of minority Muslims that encompasses the southern third of the nation and is home to 22 million people. Marawi has a population of around 200,000.

Duterte warned he may expand martial law nationwide, an unnerving development for many in the Philippines who lived through the rule of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos. Marcos declared martial law in 1972 and used it to maintain his grip on power for more than a decade.

The man at the center of the Marawi violence is Isnilon Hapilon, an Arabic-speaking Islamic preacher known for his expertise in commando assaults. He is at the nexus of several militant groups that are trying to merge into a more powerful force.

Hapilon, who is a commander of the Abu Sayyaf militant group, pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in 2014. He also heads an alliance that includes at least 10 smaller militant groups, including the Maute, which have a heavy presence in Marawi and were instrumental in fighting off government forces in this week's battles.

All these groups are inspired by the Islamic State group, but so far there is no sign of significant, material ties. "We have not seen any concrete evidence of material support from IS," military spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said Thursday. But he added that the smaller groups "are working to really get that recognition and funds, of course."

Washington has offered a $5 million reward for information leading to Hapilon's capture, but he has proved elusive. The Philippines launched an airstrike that wounded him in January, but he got away.

The army raided what it believed to be his hideout on Tuesday night in Marawi, but the operation quickly went wrong. Militants called in reinforcements and were able to overpower government forces. Once again, Hapilon escaped. The military said it believes Hapilon was still in Marawi.

Much of Marawi was still a no-go zone. Automatic gunfire and explosions could be heard clearly and plumes of black smoke rose from the direction of the city center. Air force helicopters swooped overhead.

As authorities tried to gain more control over the city, disturbing details have emerged. Militants forced their way into the Marawi Cathedral and seized a Catholic priest, 10 worshippers and three church workers, according to the city's bishop, Edwin de la Pena. The black flags of the Islamic State group were planted atop buildings and flown from commandeered vehicles, including a government ambulance and an armored car, said Mamintal Alonto Adiong Jr., vice governor of Lanao del Sur province, of which Marawi is the capital.

More than half of the population of Marawi has cleared out, Adiong said. The problem of militancy in the south, the scene of decades-long Muslim separatist uprisings in the predominantly Catholic nation, is not new.

Duterte had repeatedly threatened to place the region under martial law, which allows him to use the armed forces to carry out arrests, searches and detentions more rapidly. But human rights groups and others fear that martial law powers could further embolden the president, who already has been accused of allowing extrajudicial killings of thousands of people in his crackdown on illegal drugs.

Philippine troops battling militants in a central province killed a key Abu Sayyaf commander who had been blamed for the beheadings of two Canadians and a German hostage and was apparently attempting another kidnapping mission, the military chief said Wednesday.

Philippines: Troops killed militant blamed for beheadings
https://www.mail.com/news/politics/5107516-philippines-troops-killed-militant-blamed-beheadin.html#.5222116-stage-related1-4

Military chief of staff Gen. Eduardo Ano told The Associated Press that troops have recovered and identified the remains of Moammar Askali, who used the nom de guerre Abu Rami, in the scene of the battle in a far-flung coastal village on Bohol island, where five other Abu Sayyaf gunmen were killed in the fighting Tuesday, along with four soldiers and policemen.

Ano said troops took the picture of Askali after his death and that captured Abu Sayyaf militants identified the young militant leader. "This is a major blow to the Abu Sayyaf," Ano told The AP. "If they have further plans to kidnap innocent people somewhere, they will now have to think twice."

The military chief said Askali had led several of militants who traveled by speedboats from their jungle lairs in southern Sulu province to Bohol province in an apparent bid to carry out another kidnapping in a region that is popular for its beach resorts and wildlife. Sporadic gunbattles between the remaining Abu Sayyaf militants and government forces continued Wednesday, military officials said.

At least 10 people has been killed since Tuesday in the fighting in Bohol, far from the extremists' southern jungle bases and in a region where the U.S. government has warned that the gunmen may be plotting kidnappings, officials said.

Military officials said at least six gunmen, three soldiers and a policeman had died in the ongoing gunbattle in a village in the coastal town of Inabanga. The island province lies near Cebu province, a bustling commercial and tourism hub.

National police chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa said troops and policemen attacked the gunmen early Tuesday in Inabanga, where the gunmen had arrived aboard three boats. The gunmen took cover in three houses as the firefight broke out.

Government forces seized control of two of the houses, and the rest of the gunmen either were in the third house or had fled the area, dela Rosa told reporters. It's the Abu Sayyaf's first known attempt to carry out ransom kidnappings deep in the heartland of the central Philippines, far from its jungle lairs in the southern provinces of Sulu and Basilan.

Bohol island, where one of the world's smallest primates, called tarsiers, are found, drawing many tourists, lies about 640 kilometers (397 miles) southeast of Manila. Bohol is about an hour away by boat from Cebu province, across the busy Cebu Strait, which is crisscrossed daily by ferries, cargo ships and fishing vessels.

Abu Sayyaf militants have crossed the sea border with Malaysia on powerful speedboats and kidnapped scores of foreign tourists in past years.
In 2001, they sailed as far as western Palawan province, where they seized 20 people, including three Americans, from a resort.

"If we were not able to monitor this and engage them with our government forces, it's a cause for alarm if they were able to carry out kidnappings," dela Rosa said. Ano said military intelligence operatives had been trying to track down the movements of the suspected militants, who first traveled from Sulu to southern Zamboanga peninsula. Intelligence later indicated the gunmen landed ashore in Inabanga, prompting military and police officials to deploy their forces, he said.

The gunmen traveled on board motor boats along a river to Inabanga's Napo village, where government forces assaulted them, military spokesman Col. Edgard Arevalo said, adding that troops recovered four rifles and a homemade bomb from the slain gunmen.

The U.S. Embassy in Manila recently advised Americans to take precautions amid "unsubstantiated yet credible information" of possible kidnappings by terrorists in Bohol, nearby Cebu province and other central areas.

The United States and the Philippines have separately blacklisted the Abu Sayyaf as a terrorist organization for bombings, kidnappings for ransom and beheadings. Some Abu Sayyaf commanders have pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered troops to destroy the extremists in Sulu and in outlying island provinces, and has threatened to declare martial law in the country's south if the threat posed by the Abu Sayyaf and other extremist groups aligned with the Islamic State group gets out of control.

Although the Abu Sayyaf militants have been weakened by years of battle setbacks, they came back to international attention when they separately beheaded two Canadians last year and a German hostage earlier this year after ransom deadlines lapsed. The militants are still holding at least 29 captives in Sulu's jungles, many of them foreign tugboat and cargo ship crewmen seized at the sea border between the southern Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte ordered his troops to crush militants who are fighting street battles with government forces in the south, warning Friday that the country is at a grave risk of "contamination" by the Islamic State group.

Duterte warns of 'contamination' by Islamic State group
https://www.mail.com/news/world/5225258-duterte-warns-contamination-islamic-group.html#.5107516-stage-related1-4

May 26, 2017 - The city of Marawi, home to some 200,000 people, has been under siege by IS-linked militants since a government raid Tuesday night on a suspected hideout of Isnilon Hapilon, who is on Washington's list of most-wanted terrorists.

The raid went awry and gunmen swept through the streets, fending off government forces and taking over large parts of the city. Duterte imposed martial law on the southern third of the nation earlier this week as the battles continued.

At least 44 people have died in the fighting, including 31 militants and 11 soldiers, officials say. It was not immediately clear whether civilians were among the dead. The violence has forced thousands of people to flee and raised fears of growing extremism.

Duterte told soldiers in Iligan, a city near Marawi, that he had long feared that "contamination by ISIS" loomed in the country's future, using the acronym for the Islamic State group. "You can say that ISIS is here already," he said.

He gave his troops a free hand to wrest control of Marawi. "You can arrest any person, search any house without warrant," said Duterte, who has allowed extrajudicial killings of thousands of people in his crackdown on illegal drugs.

Still, he also offered dialogue to militants who are not on the streets fighting. "We can still talk about it," Duterte said. "But those who are out-and-out terrorists, and you cannot be convinced to stop fighting, so be it. Let us fight."

Hapilon is still hiding out in the city under the protection of gunmen who are desperately trying to find a way to "extricate" him, the country's military chief said. "Right now, he is still inside (the city)," Gen. Eduardo Ano told The Associated Press. "We cannot just pinpoint the particular spot."

He said Hapilon suffered a stroke after a government airstrike wounded him in January. Ano predicted that the military operation will take about a week as soldiers go house to house to clear the city of militants.

"We will make this their cemetery," he said. "We have to finish this." In a sign that the long-standing problem of militancy in the south could be expanding, Solicitor General Jose Calida said foreigners were fighting alongside the gunmen in Marawi, including Indonesians and Malaysians.

Ano also said foreign fighters were believed to be inside, but he was more cautious. "We suspect that but we're still validating," he said. With much of Marawi a no-go zone, confusion reigned. One local police chief told the AP on Friday that he was fine — two days after Duterte announced he had been beheaded by militants.

Police Chief Romeo Enriquez said there may have been confusion because his predecessor in Malabang, a town near Marawi, was killed in the fighting on Tuesday, although he was not beheaded. Enriquez has been in the job for about two months.

Witnesses say gunmen were flying black flags of the Islamic State group. Authorities were working to determine the condition of a Catholic priest and worshippers who were taken hostage by gunmen earlier this week.

Hapilon, an Islamic preacher, is a commander of the Abu Sayyaf militant group who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in 2014. He also heads an alliance of at least 10 smaller militant groups, including the Maute, which have a heavy presence in Marawi and were instrumental in fighting off government forces in this week's battles.

All of the groups are inspired by the Islamic State group, but so far there is no sign of significant, material ties. Washington has offered a $5 million reward for information leading to Hapilon's capture.

The southern Philippines has been troubled by decades-long Muslim separatist uprisings in the predominantly Catholic nation. But recent attacks and this week's siege suggest the threat of extremist ideology may be growing.

In Manila, hundreds of protesters marched Friday to the presidential palace to oppose Duterte's declaration of martial law in the southern Mindanao region. "We believe that it is not an answer to the problem of armed conflict in Mindanao. It will just exacerbate the situation," said Renato Reyes of the New Patriotic Alliance group.

Duterte has warned that he might expand martial law nationwide, an unnerving prospect for many in the Philippines who lived through the rule of late dictator Ferdinand Marcos. Marcos declared martial law in 1972 and used it to maintain his grip on power for more than a decade.

Renaissance said:
As I understand it, the modern South East Asian drug trade has it's roots in the Chinese Nationalists armies that fought against Communist China in the late 40's.

Yes, although the US backing Chinese nationalists and allowing them to deal illicit drugs started earlier than that. It was in the 1920s when US-backed Chiang Kai-shek was allowed to finance his anti-Communist government through the opium trade. The US (and the Brits) turned a blind eye to Chiang's opium dealings because they didn't want the Communists taking over China (Ooops!). The US also allowed Chiang's supply to make its way into the hands of the Mafia, who were soon converting it to heroin and distributing it on American streets.

Here is a little bit of info about the Philippines, that might help to put things in perspective.

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines
Area
• Total
300,000 km2 (120,000 sq mi) (72nd)
• Water (%)
0.61[5] (inland waters)
• Land
298,170 km2
115,120 sq mi
So it is the same size as Italy which again is 20% bigger than the UK.

Population
• 2015 census
100,981,437[6] (12th)
• Density
336.60/km2 (871.8/sq mi) (43rd)
As of 2013, approximately 10 million additional Filipinos lived overseas,[22] comprising one of the world's largest diasporas.
The UK has in comparison 65 million people, Italy 60 million and Germany 82 million.

Religion
92% Christianity
5.57% Islam
2.43% others[4]
So the Philippines is 92% Christian compared to 59,5% in the UK. _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_Kingdom#Statistics

Administrative regions
Main article: Regions of the Philippines
Regions in the Philippines are administrative divisions that serve primarily to organize the provinces of the country for administrative convenience. The Philippines is divided into 18 regions (17 administrative and 1 autonomous)

825px-Labelled_map_of_the_Philippines_-_Provinces_and_Regions.png

Here is a map of the Philippines with Mindanao Island that is under martial law in red:
260px-Mindanao_Red.png

And here is a map of the city Marawi that has been captured, which can be found on the bigger map above. It is on Mindanao Island and is part of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao:
250px-Ph_locator_lanao_del_sur_marawi.png

Here is a map of Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (The very bottom red part of the map):
250px-Ph_locator_armm.png

The Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao covers 12,535.79 km2 (4,840.10 sq mi) and has a population of 3,78 million people.

Back
Top Bottom