Poldark - TV series

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I recently watched this TV series, and I think that it is very well done. It has imo some wonderful characters, some good villains ;-) and follows a nice story of fighting for justice, love and learning every day's lessons of living together.

The main plot is about the characters Ross Poldark and Demelza Carne. Ross Poldark himself comes back from the American War of Independence and finds his place and where he grew up more or less ruined. And he starts to build it up again and starting a business.

The series is based on the novels by Winston Graham and there are older films available as well.

Here is an unfortunately not so good official trailer:

And some music from the series (though it is a cover, it comes very close to the original):

annp

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I watched this series as well - it has been one of my favorites. I loved all the characters. I was sad when the series ended, but discovered the series stops with book 6, but Graham wrote another four or five books. In the next one, their children are older so the stories are about the next generation. One of the things that I loved in the series is that no matter how difficult things have been, it always ends on an up note with everyone gathered together and thankful for whatever good fortune they have.

I watched another series this year on Britbox called The Blandings - one of the characters who is quite silly but hilarious played the role of George in Poldark (an arch villain). I almost did not recognize him in the Blandings. :lol:

JGeropoulas

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I just recently finished watching the entire series, often indulging in multiple episodes each sitting. I like well-done historical fiction, especially getting to peek into the clothing, etiquette, language, routine activities, etc. The characters were wonderfully cast and were richly developed with many nuanced cross-currents of emotions included.

Tuulikki

Jedi Master
Loved the series of Poldark - not least for the gorgeous Aidan Turner sans shirt. He was also the dwarf Kili in The Hobbit. The acting was excellent with interesting characterisations and well rounded and nuanced portrayals. I am old enough to remember the first TV series of Poldark back in 1975 with Anthony Robin Ellis as Ross Poldark and the wonderful Angharad Rees as the feisty Demelza. Seemed very watchable at the time but this one is a big improvement and very enjoyable.

Top Bottom