Pope Benedict Resigns, Vatican Confirms

wodasi

Jedi Master
Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month in an unexpected development, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

He became Pope in 2005 following John Paul II's death.

Resignations from the papacy are not unknown, but this is the first in the modern era, which has been marked by pontiffs dying while in office.

Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti is quoted as saying he is "greatly shaken by this unexpected news".

The BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome says the news has come "out of the blue", and that there was no speculation whatsoever about the move in recent days.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

At this age my brother wants more rest”

Georg Ratzinger Pope's brother

A Vatican spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, said that even the Pope's closest aides did not know what he was planning to do and were left "incredulous".

But the brother of the German-born Pope said the pontiff had been advised by his doctor not to take any more transatlantic trips and had been considering stepping down for months.

Talking from his home in Regensburg in Germany, Georg Ratzinger said his brother was having increasing difficulty walking and that his resignation was part of a "natural process".

He added: "His age is weighing on him. At this age my brother wants more rest."

( links everywhere )

Well, that's interesting. I've never heard of a pope resigning, they usually hold the position until they pass. I'm sure all the other popes had health issues too, but they didn't resign, so this one is strange.

probably he was not able to curtail pedophilia exposure, so they need new pope who gives new hope (fake). This is the same drama happens all the time at work.

Pope's resignation

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/02/11/pope-benedict-xvi-resign/1908779/ -

A Pope has not resigned since the middle ages. I do know that there were rumors when he was installed that he did not want the position at all, but this is really unusual.

I've also thought of pedophilia scandals to be culprit for his "resignation". Maybe it would be interesting to investigate all past "resignations", perhaps there is some kind of pattern? Possible cometary threats, perhaps? Producing more distraction for ignorant masses? Or just some spin over low success dealing with pedophilia scandals?

Regulattor said:
Maybe it would be interesting to investigate all past "resignations", perhaps there is some kind of pattern?

Pope Celestine V resigned in 1294 and Pope Gregory XII in 1415 was the last pope to resign, so it's been quite a while.

This is quiet interesting, I remember read something about:

During an audience with the general Chapter of the Franciscans in 1909, Pius X (1835-1914) fell into a semi-trance with his head sunk on his chest, and after a few minutes he came to and opened his eyes with a look of horror on his face. He reputedly cried out:
What I have seen was terrible… Will it be myself? Will it be my successor? What is certain is that the Pope will quit Rome, and in fleeing from the Vatican he will have to walk over the dead bodies of his priests. Do not tell anyone while I am alive (cf. Stephen Skinner, Millennium Prophecies, Carlton, p. 75).

He certainly didn't coming out smelling like roses in this HBO documentary: https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/mea-maxima-culpa/index.html. I watched this the other night and it was quite telling. It led all the way up to him. Not saying that the documentary had anything to do with it but it certainly didn't make him look innocent at all.

What do you think about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, is a list of 112 short phrases in Latin. They purport to describe each of the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II (elected in 1143) and concluding with the successor of current pope Benedict XVI, a pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will end in the destruction of the city of Rome.

If there is any truth to it, then could it mean that PTB are aware that there is not much time left and it's time for the last pope to come on the scene. Just thinking out loud here.

Serendipity said:

The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, is a list of 112 short phrases in Latin. They purport to describe each of the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II (elected in 1143) and concluding with the successor of current pope Benedict XVI, a pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will end in the destruction of the city of Rome.

If there is any truth to it, then could it mean that PTB are aware that there is not much time left and it's time for the last pope to come on the scene. Just thinking out loud here.

I'm thinking the same.. Something is going on with this!

I'm not gonna miss him and neither I'm looking forward for the next one. Nonetheless the timing is interesting indeed whatever it means.

*added*

PopeGoesTheWeasel.jpg

This was the first news that came through my radio alarm clock this morning, and as soon as I heard it I thought that it might be a sign/message of sorts.

Heimdallr said:
Well, that's interesting. I've never heard of a pope resigning, they usually hold the position until they pass. I'm sure all the other popes had health issues too, but they didn't resign, so this one is strange.

Exactly my thoughts. I mean they are already quite old when they become popes already, and didn't John Paul have Parkinson's?

Ok, he was older than others when elected. Still.....
From this article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/weariness-not-serious-health-problems-causing-pope-benedict-to-step-down-vatican/article8437150/

Weariness, not serious health problems, causing Pope Benedict to step down: Vatican

When he became pope at age 78, Benedict XVI was already the oldest pontiff elected in nearly 300 years. He’s now 85, and in recent years he has slowed down significantly, cutting back his foreign travel and limiting his audiences.

The pope now travels to the altar in St. Peter’s Basilica on a moving platform to spare him the 100-metre walk down the aisle. Occasionally he uses a cane. Late last year, people who were spending time with the pontiff emerged saying they found him weak and too tired to engage with what they were saying.

The Vatican stressed on Monday that no specific medical condition prompted the Pope’s decision to become the first pontiff to resign in 600 years. Still, the Pope said his advanced age means he no longer has the necessary mental and physical strength to lead the world’s more than one billion Roman Catholics.

That the Pope is tired would be a perfectly normal diagnosis for an 85-year-old pope, even someone with no known serious health problems and a still-agile mind.

He has acknowledged having suffered a hemorrhagic stroke in 1991 that temporarily affected his vision, but he later made a full recovery. In 2009, the Pope fell and suffered minor injuries when he broke one of his wrists while vacationing in the Alps.

A doctor familiar with the Pope’s medical team told The Associated Press on Monday that the Pontiff has no grave or life-threatening illnesses. But, the doctor said, the Pope — like many men his age — has suffered some prostrate problems. Beyond that, the Pope is simply old and tired, the doctor said on condition of anonymity.

According to the pope’s brother Georg Ratzinger, the Pontiff was told by his doctor not to take any more trans-Atlantic trips. In fact, the Pontiff’s only foreign trip this year was scheduled to be a July visit to Brazil for the church’s World Youth Day.

Experts weren’t surprised the Pope’s health problems were slowing him down.

“In someone who’s 85 and has arthritis, the activities of being a pope will be a struggle,” said Alan Silman, the medical director of Arthritis Research U.K. He said Pope Benedict most likely has osteoarthritis, which causes people to lose the cartilage at the end of their joints, making it difficult to move around without pain.

“It would be painful for him to kneel while he’s praying and could be excruciating when he tries to get up again,” Silman said, adding that for people with arthritis, even standing for long periods of time can be challenging.

Silman said some drugs could help ease the pain, but most would come with side effects such as drowsiness or stomach problems, which would likely be more serious in the elderly.

The doctor said it isn’t clear whether the Pope’s arthritis would worsen with age. “It could be it’s as bad as it’s going to get,” he said. “But it already sounds like he has it pretty bad and continuing with all the activities of being the pope won’t help.”

Joe Korner, a spokesman for Britain’s Stroke Association, said having a mild stroke also could be a warning of a possible major stroke in the future. “I would imagine the pope has been warned this could happen and that he should make some changes to his lifestyle,” Korner said, including reducing stress levels.

When he became pope, Benedict replaced John Paul, who died in 2005 at the age of 84. He was the Vatican’s most-travelled pontiff, visiting 129 countries during his nearly 27-year papacy and had captured the world’s affection like no other pope.

In the last year of his life, John Paul was forced to curtail his travels because of old age and illness, including trembling hands and slurred speech, an inability to walk or hold his head up, and other symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.

I wonder if there is any significance to the choice of the day and if it conveys any symbolic message. Jesuits and other Vatican people are likely to take the date issue quite seriously.
For instance, on February the 11th, 1302, Philip the Fair, King of France (the one who eliminated the Templar order), would have burnt the "Ausculta Fili", a letter addressed to him by the pope Boniface VIII. The letter was about the superiority of the power of Rome (the clergy) over the King's power. I wonder if the Vatican's historians missed this episode (or others) or if the chose the date accordingly (or maybe according to some other event).
I confess to have chosen this event just because of the year writing (1302/2013).

Serendipity said:

Maybe this is one of last scenes in this millennium drama staged long ago (and all through) by TPTB - preparation for Grand Finale of this Age. If they knew from time immemorial what The End of Cycle looks like surely they've been working on their cover-up scenario to gain public amazement (Oh you know Pope never resigned in 600 years ...Oh - these are strange times :scared:) It could be that TPTB created false prophecy book which would be easily followed by reliable institutarians/clergy in centuries to come. So Ratzy&co could be playing by the notes written six centuries ago to further approve Bible version of Armageddon which could mislead sheeple facing genuine denouement (C's) - you know Vatican was wright six hundred years ago and is wright abut this too - kind of building up of the 'faith' of followers...

Back
Top Bottom