Printer-friendly edition of SOTT

Isabel

The Force is Strong With This One
Is there to be a printer-friendly version of the new SOTT?

Because many news articles would not be published in papers here [N.Z.] I have frequently copied some from Signs & sent them to papers, as well as friends [who send them to their local papers].

With the new SOTT, everything gets copied [not good for my purpose, & it's time-consuming to "clean up" the article] + the email version doesn't suffice.

Unfortunately, the printer friendly version has gone the way of the dinosaur, at least for the time being.

The problem is that the printer friendly version is very, very large. With the way the old page worked, the printer friendly version was doable. But now with our new page, generating the PFV on the fly constantly as the page is continually updated like a blog (it will be eventually, at least) would be a bit stressful for our poor server.

There are a few other options, though. If you copy and paste the text of an article into a text editor instead of an e-mail client, and then recopy and paste into your e-mail client, then the evil stuff goes away. Of course, that's kind of a pain. Usually the same thing can be accomplished by setting your e-mail client to text-based e-mails instead of HTML-based, and then the pasting should avoid anything except the plain text of the article.

We were going to add a "E-mail this article to a friend" feature, but that's going to take a bit more thought, and we'd probably only do it for our original content.

In the end, since only a handful of people ever said anything about the PFV and given the constraints that we faced, it was retired. Maybe it will come out of retirement, though, you never know... We'd probably have to give it a hefty raise, though, and it would only want to work part time. :)

S

Well, that's Life! It is regrettable to me, though the editor of the NZ Herald will likely be silently grateful for the respite.:)

I'll have a go with your suggestions but I'm a dinasaur myself in terms of my everything to do with computer-literate-ness.

Thanks for maintaining P-F for so long.

Scott said:
Unfortunately, the printer friendly version has gone the way of the dinosaur, at least for the time being.

The problem is that the printer friendly version is very, very large. With the way the old page worked, the printer friendly version was doable. But now with our new page, generating the PFV on the fly constantly as the page is continually updated like a blog (it will be eventually, at least) would be a bit stressful for our poor server.
Hi Scott,

For this particular request, is it possible to generate one printed version at the end of the day or some given time, so Isabel can read a snapshot with some delay?
If it were practical, I wouldn't mind mirroring the sott site and provide the printed version to off-load bandwidth, but there are some hurdles with this approach.

Dominique.

domivr - such a kind suggestion! Thank you. However, I've a utilitarian streak & although I think I'm worth it :), I think more in terms of greatest benefit for greatest number.

I shall strive to implement Scott's suggestions [& learn what a text editor is to start with] :) :)
Such is my ignorance! Previously, I simply copied/pasted into a Word doc & emailed that.

I would miss a pfv at least for your original content material, i can always go looking for outside
stuff elsewhere,,(which I've done) and a last updated timeline would be nice..? ( unless I've missed that?)

Scott said:
In the end, since only a handful of people ever said anything about the PFV and given the constraints that we faced, it was retired. Maybe it will come out of retirement, though, you never know... We'd probably have to give it a hefty raise, though, and it would only want to work part time. :)S
I was one of the ones who used the PFV when I just wanted bits and pieces for blogging, etc. Just today at work, I was trying to copy a couple paragraphs out of the Ice Age article. Can do with Firefox, but I have to use IE at work. How come it works with Firefox but not IE??

Shar said:
I was one of the ones who used the PFV when I just wanted bits and pieces for blogging, etc. Just today at work, I was trying to copy a couple paragraphs out of the Ice Age article. Can do with Firefox, but I have to use IE at work. How come it works with Firefox but not IE??
Oh wait! I forgot I'd downloaded IE7 here on my laptop, I just tried to copy and past with it and it works!

I'll see if I can download IE7 at work...

Back
Top Bottom