Prodigal son's homecoming

NewOrleans

Jedi Master
I've been away from this forum for, oh, about six months I guess. Personal hardships and all that I just didn't feel right about sharing. It's not been going well.
I'm just a day away from talking to a doctor about my planned double eye surgery next week. For an artist this is a big deal since these are my tools. It's been a long road to get this far. Months ago I was thinking that I just needed new glasses, but discovered that I had multiple eye problems. The fuzziness was me not the lenses. Luckily one of the best eye surgeons in the country is here in my city and I was booking an appointment when I was told, because of Diabetes, that I need to get that under control before any surgery could be done successfully. So with some discipline I reduced my diabetes to a manageable level and got a green light to start. My next hurtle was finances. My health care plan just didn't cover all of this this isn't shopping center Laysik clinic work and I had no extra resources. Reluctantly I started a GoFundMe page to raise funds and offered custom-made icon portraits as a reciprocal gift. I got about half way to my goal which is great but a kind of disaster fatigue set in and old friends don't talk to me much. I wasn't being a flaming drama queen about it. I just needed money. Being in a position of asking, I find a book by musician Amanda Palmer, "The Art of Asking "who had some insights into how to not feel pitiful, like a begger, when giving an opportunity for friends and strangers to help out. Well I didn't want to feel pitiful, because that can be a ruse for feeding on good natured people. Feeding in the sense Gurdjieff meant. I'm grateful for people who gave, I'm doing portrait icons in return to those who want them and I can manage the rest when I get work after my eyes heal.

But just the other day I went on Facebook, which I'd taken a hiatus from. And saw that Laura had written to me after something I'd written to her quite awhile ago and forgot...

Let me reach out my digital arms and hug you, Laura.and by, extension, all of your folks here. I may not have been an active participant, but I owe you a debt of gratitude for ideas and insights I'd never have gotten on my own. I know that so many here are going through health issues. Not JUST me. What I've learned in the intervening time is that Love heals. It sounds corny but I believe it's the momentum that moves us one step higher . Thanks.

Hi NewOrleans. I'm sorry to hear about your diabetic retinopathy and I'm glad to hear you have decided to get your diabetes under control. A low carb is a must in this case and I'm sure you are aware of the threads in the Health Section on this subject.

If you are having trouble reaching your monetary goals for the laser surgery to stop any retinal bleeds, perhaps you should consider applying for medicaid funding at your local Health Dept? Your current doctor may not accept medicaid payment, but it is much better to have treatment than to delay it because of financing. The laser surgery is fairly straight forward, and does not require "the best" by reputation to be successful. Just some thoughts.

Take care and keep us posted. :hug:

Or are you planning a cataract surgery, NewOrleans? I assumed diabetes problem with your vision, but if cataracts, it is not so urgent. Sorry I jumped to conclusion. :-[

Thanks for sharing this and wish you well, NewOrleans. I'm also glad that you have been able to reduce your Diabetic condition to favorable levels so that your surgery can go ahead.

As for concluding your funding for surgery, perhaps Lilou's suggestion will work, too.

One step at a time, let us know here how this progresses.

I'm sorry things have not been going so well for you NewOrleans. Could you elaborate on the ophthalmic treatment you require? Is it cataract surgery or LASIK for vision correction? It sounds like you have then been diagnosed with diabetic eye disease which needs to be treated first. Congrats on getting the diabetes under control. What is your diet like- have you read the ketogenic diet thread?

I'm not sure how the medical system and payment plan works where you are, as I am based in Australia. I hope it all works out well for you. Keep us posted. :hug2:

Arwenn said:
I'm sorry things have not been going so well for you NewOrleans. Could you elaborate on the ophthalmic treatment you require? Is it cataract surgery or LASIK for vision correction? It sounds like you have then been diagnosed with diabetic eye disease which needs to be treated first. Congrats on getting the diabetes under control. What is your diet like- have you read the ketogenic diet thread?

I'm not sure how the medical system and payment plan works where you are, as I am based in Australia. I hope it all works out well for you. Keep us posted. :hug2:

It sounds like it may be a vitrectomy:
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/diabetic-retinopathy-surgery
Diabetic Retinopathy - Surgery

Surgical treatment for diabetic retinopathy is removal of the vitreous gel (vitrectomy). Vitrectomy does not cure the disease. But it may improve vision in people who have developed bleeding into the vitreous gel (vitreous hemorrhage), retinal detachment, or severe scar tissue formation.

Unfortunately, by the time some people are diagnosed with retinopathy (especially late-stage retinopathy), it is often too late for vitrectomy to provide much benefit. Even with treatment, vision may continue to decline.

Early detection of retinopathy through dilated eye exams can help you decide to have surgery when it is most effective.

What to think about

After a person has had most of the vitreous gel removed by vitrectomy, surgery to remove scar tissue or to repair a new retinal detachment may be needed.

Vitrectomy may require an overnight hospital stay. But it is sometimes done as outpatient surgery. Your eye doctor will determine if the surgery can be done with local or general anesthesia.

For reference - The vitreous body is the clear gel that fills the space between the lens and the retina of the eyeball of humans and other vertebrates. It is often referred to as the vitreous humour or simply "the vitreous".

Beyond going keto and reducing stress and inflammation, here are a few things that you may want to look into that could stem further damage fwiw
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3800284/
Our findings suggest that leukocytes from diabetic patients kill retinal endothelial cells, and that berberine can inhibit this leukocyte-mediated killing of vascular endothelium. Coculture of leukocytes with HRECs might serve as a biomarker to study the role of leukocytes in the development of diabetic retinopathy, and the data are consistent with berberine being a therapy against diabetic retinopathy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19958109
Lutein and DHA are capable of normalizing all the diabetes-induced biochemical, histological, and functional modifications. Specifically, the cell death mechanisms involved deserve further studies to allow the proposal as potential adjuvant therapies to help prevent vision loss in diabetic patients

_http://www.totnescancerhealthcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/An-Encyclopaedia-of-Nutritional-and-Herbal-Supplements.pdf
Vitamin C may also protect against diabetic eye damage (retinopathy), both by inhibiting glycation (sugar-induced damage) of eye tissue, and by lowering levels of sorbitol, which accumulates in diabetics, causing loss of protective nutrients from the lens.

_http://www.herballegacy.com/Hartzog_Medicinal.html
In macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy the disease was slowed by 70% by using the Vitamins A, C, E and selenium all of which are found in eyebright.

_http://www.realdiabetestruth.com/dont-risk-losing-your-sight-to-diabetic-retinopathy/
Your best strategy for protecting your vision

If you have received a diagnosis of diabetes, you should be called automatically for an eye examination once a year, under the NHS diabetic eye screening programme. This should pick up any early changes in your retina, even before you notice problems with your vision. Make sure that you attend these annual screening sessions and if you haven’t been called for one, ask your doctor. You can read more information about these screening sessions, here:

To protect your vision, start by making sure your diet and exercise regime give you the best chance of keeping your blood sugar levels stable and minimising your reliance on drugs, including injectable insulin. This means sticking to a low GL diet and a regular programme of physical activity. The following foods and supplements could also dramatically reduce your risk of diabetic retinopathy:

• Fish oil supplements are rich in the omega-3 fatty acid DHA, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and has been found to protect against retinal damage.

• Carotenoids are retina-protecting pigments found in brightly-coloured fruits and vegetables, as well as in some animal foods, so aim to eat a ‘rainbow’ of red, orange, yellow and purple natural foods.

• The highest levels of lutein and zeaxanthin are found in egg yolks and sweet corn, while lycopene is highest in tomatoes, so make these foods a regular part of your diet. Substantial amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin are also present in kiwi fruit, grapes, spinach, orange juice, courgettes and squashes.

• Specific eye health supplements contain high dosages of lutein and zeaxanthin, often combined with other beneficial nutrients. Examples are ‘Eyewise’ from Lamberts and ‘Eye Support Complex’ from Terranova.

• Other natural plant compounds, such as those in grape seeds, blueberries, blackberries and black cherries can also support eye health, which is one more reason to eat a good variety of seasonal fruits and vegetables.

_http://www.drwhitaker.com/4-diabetic-retinopathy-treatment-options/
Natural Diabetic Retinopathy Treatment Options

Mirtogenol™ is a combination of two herbal extracts: Mirtoselect® (bilberry) and Pycnogenol® (French Maritime pine bark). Both extracts have antioxidant properties and have been shown to strengthen the capillaries in the retina, making them a first-line defense against retinopathy. Furthermore, bilberry contains anthocyanosides and other flavonoids that improve circulation and discourage inflammation in eye tissues, and pine bark also helps increase blood flow throughout the body.

Studies have also found that bilberry and Pycnogenol are effective natural diabetic retinopathy treatments (as well as glaucoma). In one study, people with diabetic retinopathy took 20–160 mg of Pycnogenol daily. After six months, none of the participants had experienced any additional vision loss. Look for Mirtogenol in products targeting vision health, and use as directed.

Grape seed extract is another powerful antioxidant that protects blood vessels and capillaries from free radical damage. Research shows that grape seed extract can help prevent diabetic retinopathy. The recommended dose of grape seed extract is 1 mg per pound of body weight (round your weight up or down to the nearest 50 pounds), in divided doses with meals, for the first week. Then continue with a maintenance dose of half that amount. For example, if you weigh 210 pounds, take 200 mg a day for the first week, and then continue taking 100 mg a day.
Benfotiamine is a fat-soluble, highly absorbable form of thiamine (vitamin B1). According to researchers, benfotiamine blocks three of the major culprits responsible for blood vessel damage in patients with elevated blood sugar levels. As a result, it helps prevent retinopathy and other diabetes complications. The suggested dose is 300 mg of benfotiamine per day.

Magnesium. Studies show that people with the lowest levels of this important mineral are the most likely to have severe diabetic retinopathy. I recommend taking 500–1,000 mg of magnesium per day for diabetic retinopathy treatment.

While the therapies I just outlined are effective at addressing retinopathy, I also recommend taking a targeted vision formula that contains lutein, zeaxanthin, zinc, and other nutrients that support eye health

Hi NewOrleans. Sorry to hear about your health problems. I just wanted to wish you all the best, and as others said keep us posted on your progress. :hug:

According to his fundraiser page it's progressive double cataracts:

I'm an artist, a designer. I've recently been diagnosed with progressive double cataracts, which is why everything is so blurry. I have a surgeon, but I don't have the dollars. My health insurance company says it's 'experimental" ( it's not, it's new and proven to restore 20/20 vision.) so they won't pay for it. I've just got to get this done. My livelihood depends on it. The surgery will cost about $4,000 and I want to have it done in about a month or two.
I'm looking for the generosity of strangers. I can offer customized avatar portraits for $100 each as a payback. Contact me and ask what it takes.

I'd be most grateful.

I just donated something to help him out a little. Hope all will go as smoothly as possible. :hug:

Wishing speedy recovery as well. :hug2:

Thanks for sharing NewOrleans and great that you found the strength posting here. As you discovered yourself, getting diabetes in control is a must, since it can damage the nerves. That means and in my experience a low carb almost a no carb diet is a must for treating diabetes properly and to avoid the dangerous bloodsugar fluctuations. And as Nienna wrote, keep us updated and if you have questions about diabetes fire away.

Thanks for checking in NewOrleans and I hope everything goes well with your surgery! :hug2:

Palinurus said:
According to his fundraiser page it's progressive double cataracts:

I'm an artist, a designer. I've recently been diagnosed with progressive double cataracts, which is why everything is so blurry. I have a surgeon, but I don't have the dollars. My health insurance company says it's 'experimental" ( it's not, it's new and proven to restore 20/20 vision.) so they won't pay for it. I've just got to get this done. My livelihood depends on it. The surgery will cost about $4,000 and I want to have it done in about a month or two.
I'm looking for the generosity of strangers. I can offer customized avatar portraits for $100 each as a payback. Contact me and ask what it takes.

I'd be most grateful.

I just donated something to help him out a little. Hope all will go as smoothly as possible. :hug:

Wishing speedy recovery as well. :hug2:

Thank you Palinurus, for the fundraiser page.
All I can donates $20.00 right now.
His goal is $4000.00, but so far he got $2560. Wish him success his goal and recover his vision.

Thank you all for the dietary recommendations and encouragement. I'm not quite back yet: Still a bit wonky in both eyes. I have learned not to drive a car wearing an eye patch after a minor accident. Binocular vision is seriously necessary.

My eye doctor told me that this was not diabetes related, but still problematic. Cataracts as well as other retinal problems on the verge of getting worse. Nevertheless, a stricter diet did get it down as recommended for pre-surgery exams. My surgeon did great work and I'm in recovery. Still, I must limit my online time for a while longer. I'll have much reading to catch up on. Although I reached my online goal, the amount of the surgery, plus living expenses as I heal, is much, much larger than I anticipated. I'll find a way until I get back to working again.

One thing to report: the grass IS greener on the other side. Grateful.

I'm happy your cataract surgery was a success, New Orleans. Wishing you a speedy recovery! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom