Professor criticized for course denying climate change

Gonzo

The Living Force
Professor criticized for course denying climate change - McLeans Magazine (Canada)
Tom Harris dismisses 142 "corrections"

A group of scientists has released a report condemning a Carleton University professor who taught a course centred on the idea that climate change is not caused by human emissions.

Tom Harris taught Climate Change: An Earth Sciences Perspective to mostly second-year non-science students between 2009 and 2011.

The Committee for the Advancement of Scientific Skepticism says in its report entitled Climate Change Denial in the Classroom that Harris hosted speakers who argued that climate change is not caused by humans but hosted “no scientist speaking to the generally accepted consensus.”
...more at _http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2012/03/02/professor-criticized-for-course-denying-climate-change/

It is quite ironic that this committee calls itself "The Committee for the Advancement of Scientific Skepticism" while it attacks a scientist to defend a belief in a "consensus".

Ironic or not, it should be understood that scientists are skeptical of any Climate Change denialists as they have a history of being funded by big business who would hate to have their quest for profit unfortunately interrupted by something as inconsiderate as a global catastrophe. Religious fundamentalists who think that God will protect them from disaster are automatic denialists, and economist thinking politicians would hate to deal with a world that would have to change its economic behaviour. All these people have denied climate change and challenged science.

Scientists cannot have that and are understandably protecting their turf and the only realistic conclusions they can infer from the data they have at hand. Until there is an undeniable set of data that proves otherwise we can expect more such attacks.

Even if we are only contributing 4% to Climate Change, isn't it possible that this represents the final straw on the camel's back?

I wouldn't want to change science's viewpoint at this stage either. The best chance of imminent societal change for the better hinges on the presumption that we're about to destroy ourselves and should therefore change our thinking and way of life.

This is not the time to play "I told you so". It is a time for change. An outlook that is kinder to nature is kinder to ourselves and may ultimately result in a mind-change of such proportions that dna itself is altered. If this were to happen I'm sure we'd be pleasantly surprised to find more surfers on the wave.

Whatever the truth is, Climate Change seems to have woken up a lot of people to a certain level of awareness. May it continue to do so.

Richard said:
Ironic or not, it should be understood that scientists are skeptical of any Climate Change denialists as they have a history of being funded by big business who would hate to have their quest for profit unfortunately interrupted by something as inconsiderate as a global catastrophe.

Which means that many of them are consciously lying which suggests pathology. (Which can be simply extreme self-interest.)

Richard said:
Religious fundamentalists who think that God will protect them from disaster are automatic denialists,

Actually, they are pushing the destruction of Earth to "initiate the Eschaton" so they aren't so much deniers as pathological.

Richard said:
and economist thinking politicians would hate to deal with a world that would have to change its economic behaviour.

You are assuming that they are just ordinary folks like yourself? Think again. This is driven by pathology; greed is a sickness.

Richard said:
All these people have denied climate change and challenged science.

Are you including the scientists you listed above as promoters of climate change as deniers now? Muddy thinking!

Richard said:
Scientists cannot have that and are understandably protecting their turf and the only realistic conclusions they can infer from the data they have at hand. Until there is an undeniable set of data that proves otherwise we can expect more such attacks.

Actually, no, they are not inferring from the data, they are consciously cooking the data and there is plenty of evidence of that already out there.

Richard said:
Even if we are only contributing 4% to Climate Change, isn't it possible that this represents the final straw on the camel's back?

Not likely.

Richard said:
I wouldn't want to change science's viewpoint at this stage either.

Mainstream science is corrupt to the core. That's the bottom line.

Richard said:
The best chance of imminent societal change for the better hinges on the presumption that we're about to destroy ourselves and should therefore change our thinking and way of life.

What does that have to do with any of the above?

Richard said:
This is not the time to play "I told you so". It is a time for change. An outlook that is kinder to nature is kinder to ourselves and may ultimately result in a mind-change of such proportions that dna itself is altered. If this were to happen I'm sure we'd be pleasantly surprised to find more surfers on the wave.

Whatever the truth is, Climate Change seems to have woken up a lot of people to a certain level of awareness. May it continue to do so.

Believing lies is worse than ignorance.

Ironic or not, it should be understood that scientists are skeptical of any Climate Change denialists as they have a history of being funded by big business who would hate to have their quest for profit unfortunately interrupted by something as inconsiderate as a global catastrophe.

Which means that many of them are consciously lying which suggests pathology. (Which can be simply extreme self-interest.)

Yes. Everyone who is consciously lying, scientists or other, are indicating extreme self-interest or possibly psychopathy.

Religious fundamentalists who think that God will protect them from disaster are automatic denialists,

Actually, they are pushing the destruction of Earth to "initiate the Eschaton" so they aren't so much deniers as pathological.

Most definitely. Not all of them are pathological however. Plenty simply believe what they're taught in their churches or bible studies or other classes of religious indoctrination. They're either pathological or just really dumb. Surely those who are agitating for armageddon are relatively few in numbers (although large in power)?

and economist thinking politicians would hate to deal with a world that would have to change its economic behaviour.

You are assuming that they are just ordinary folks like yourself? Think again. This is driven by pathology; greed is a sickness.

Yes, for sure. Especially, it seems in the US. But in other places in the world there are politicians who genuinely work for society rather than themselves. Their biggest shortcoming is that they believe in the capitalist system. Myopic but not pathological. Many years ago we had a Member of Parliament who worked for us in the afternoons after session. He needed the money because he was always giving his salary to his constituents who were in need. I'm sorry to say he died in a car accident.

All these people have denied climate change and challenged science.

Are you including the scientists you listed above as promoters of climate change as deniers now? Muddy thinking!

No, I'm not including the scientists. Those who were promoters of climate change still are. Some who were deniers have changed their tune, and that I admit does concern me that they may have changed because of third party influence. People such as Dr. Richard Muller who were thought to be climate deniers and decided the evidence pointed in the other direction.
http://www.skepticblog.org/2011/04/06/global-warming-skeptic-changes-his-tune/

Actually, no, they are not inferring from the data, they are consciously cooking the data and there is plenty of evidence of that already out there.

This is really difficult. The charges of cooking are made by both camps, although the deniers just seem to ignore the data in totality. I did read somewhere that 100% of scientists agreed there is climate change - only 98% believed it was man-made. Laura, I don't know the truth of the matter here except in my experience people go to great lengths to "prove" their emotionally based viewpoints. If I was to have all the data I'm sure I'd come to the same conclusions as the scientists - but because I didn't collect all the data myself I'd be hesitant to call it the "gospel truth" (how ugly that phrase is).

For those scientists who are looking to the solar system to confirm their hypotheses of extraplanetary influences, I wish them well and hope they find their proofs soon. Validation is a wonderful thing.

Not likely.

You're right - it's not likely.

I wouldn't want to change science's viewpoint at this stage either.

Mainstream science is corrupt to the core. That's the bottom line.

Yes, that's true. And you can add egotistical and craven to the charges. Yet there still remain the honest mavericks and those who quest for truth. Like most organizations the corruption starts at the top.

The best chance of imminent societal change for the better hinges on the presumption that we're about to destroy ourselves and should therefore change our thinking and way of life.

What does that have to do with any of the above?

Whether human intervention is responsible for climate change or not is not the point here. The point is that it often takes enormous stress to encourage change. People who close their eyes to change have no chance.

Believing lies is worse than ignorance.

I don't understand. Is climate change not happening?

Climate change is definitely happening and even global warming.... but global warming always precedes sharp and sudden long-term global cooling.

I meant that the people who think global warming is the be-all and end-all are in worse shape than those people who have no opinion on the matter because they have followed the liars and won't hear any warnings about preparing for an Ice Age.

There is also a huge misunderstanding in the matter. Climate change, which is happenning, is not the anthropogenic global warming these pseudo-scientists of the UN propagandize about.

I meant that the people who think global warming is the be-all and end-all are in worse shape than those people who have no opinion on the matter because they have followed the liars and won't hear any warnings about preparing for an Ice Age.

The sad thing is that the only people who will be fully prepared for an ice-age are those who have already prepared underground bases ie the very same psychopathic ruling class ignoring all the warnings in public so they can continue with "business as usual". If anyone else prepared in the same way they would immediately be labelled "cult" in France and weird anywhere else.

I think the whole Anthropogenic Global Warming scam is a multi-faceted manifestation of pathologies and the overall ponerization and corruption of science. There's also the part of the scam to do with "carbon taxes" and securities exchanges set up for the whole carbon trading thing (with the largest players being the usual psychopathic suspects, e.g. Goldman Sachs, et al) too.

Add to this the usual muddying of waters / twisting and distorting things into their opposites / distracting from VERY important matters and truths, and the whole thing is another demented deception of humanity. My 2 cents.

Richard said:
No, I'm not including the scientists. Those who were promoters of climate change still are. Some who were deniers have changed their tune, and that I admit does concern me that they may have changed because of third party influence. People such as Dr. Richard Muller who were thought to be climate deniers and decided the evidence pointed in the other direction.
http://www.skepticblog.org/2011/04/06/global-warming-skeptic-changes-his-tune/

According to today’s article by Neela Banerjee, Mcclatchy News Service (see below), Richard A. Muller, professor of physics at UCBerkeley and co-founder of the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature Project, has reversed his position on global warming, now stating “Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubts on the very existence of global warming. (In the past, Dr. Muller had criticized which global temperatures had been used in such research, contending that some monitoring stations provided inaccurate data.) Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I am now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause.”

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news/nation-world-news/prominent-climate-change-denier-now-admits-he-was-wrong.html

In short, Muller has been bought and paid for.

ADDED: This suggests that there is something around the corner they are trying to hide or hope to be able to hide.

Yeah, that was the feeling I was getting. It looks like they've planned sufficient media coverage to ensure his "realization" is disseminated far and wide. TPTB must have felt things were going the wrong way and needed some steering,

Gonzo

This is the same man who looked into mass extinction events and periodicity. Laura mentions him here http://laura-knight-jadczyk.blogspot.com/2007/03/forget-about-global-warming-were-one.html
The report, published in the current issue of , was carried out by Professor Richard Muller and Robert Rohde also from the Berkeley campus. They studied the disappearances of thousands of different marine species (whose fossils are better preserved than terrestrial species) over the past 500m years.

Their results were completely unexpected. It was known that mass extinctions have occurred in the past. During the Permian extinction, 250m years ago, more than 70 per cent of all species were wiped out, for example. But most research suggested that these were linked to asteroid collisions and other random events.

But Muller and Rohde found that, far from being unpredictable, mass extinctions occur every 62m years, a pattern that is 'striking and compelling', according to Kirchner.

But what is responsible? Here, researchers ran into problems. They considered the passage of the solar system through gas clouds that permeate the galaxy. These clouds could trigger climatic mayhem. However, there is no known mechanism to explain why the passage might occur only every 62m years.

Alternatively, the Sun may possess an undiscovered companion star. It could approach the Sun every 62m years, dislodging comets from the outer solar system and propelling them towards Earth. Such a companion star has never been observed, however, and in any case such a lengthy orbit would be unstable, Muller says.

Or perhaps some internal geophysical cycle triggers massive volcanic activity every 62m years, Muller and Rohde wondered. Plumes from these would surround the planet and lead to a devastating drop in temperature that would freeze most creatures to death.

Unfortunately, scientists know of no such geological cycle.

'We have tried everything we can think of to find an explanation for these weird cycles of biodiversity and extinction,' Muller said. 'So far we have failed. And, yes, we are due one soon, but I would not panic yet.'

I'd like to suggest that perhaps Prof. Muller is a completely honest man interpreting data available to him as best he can. It's entirely possible that in the first instance when he denied climate change he was looking at figures completely different to those that made him change his mind later. To make an about turn like that would also suggest honesty. "Facts before opinion".

Who's best interests are served by denying climate change? I may be looking at this too simply but it makes sense that the people who stand to gain most by denying man-made climate change are the people who benefit most from practices that pollute the atmostphere and oceans and rape the lands. In other words the energy companies, industrialists, politicians who need business to carry on 'as usual' - ie the PTB. It would be their knee-jerk reaction and Prof. Muller would now be on their hit lists whereas before he would have been their darling.

I would think there's a good chance that Prof. Muller relies mostly on data at hand to reach his conclusions, in which case I feel sorry for him when he discovers data pointing to solar and other influences. He'll have to retract for a second time.

Perhaps someone knows him better?

[quote author=Richard]

I'd like to suggest that perhaps Prof. Muller is a completely honest man interpreting data available to him as best he can. It's entirely possible that in the first instance when he denied climate change he was looking at figures completely different to those that made him change his mind later. To make an about turn like that would also suggest honesty. "Facts before opinion".

I would think there's a good chance that Prof. Muller relies mostly on data at hand to reach his conclusions, in which case I feel sorry for him when he discovers data pointing to solar and other influences. He'll have to retract for a second time.

[/quote]

In which case the best that we can say about him is that is not a particularly intelligent or even scientific man, and is not deserving of his position. I feel sorry for the brilliant scientists who will never find themselves in such a position because the system does not allow it.

Richard said:
I'd like to suggest that perhaps Prof. Muller is a completely honest man interpreting data available to him as best he can.

I'd like to suggest that you are 'critically correcting' his behavior.

Back
Top Bottom