Psychic Self-defense, psychic protection

Arwenn

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
There isn't a dedicated thread on various forms of psychic protection (it's mentioned sporadically in a few threads). After having a truly horrible few days with my ex-mother (yes, indeed, I 'broke up' with her) and realizing to my utter horror that she has a contractile inner core, I felt her & my siblings sending me ill energy. That's the best way I can articulate it. It felt like poison arrows or shards. Let's just say that sh#! felt nasty!

Now, when her verbally abusive filthy texts arrived, and I felt I was being attacked, I tried mentally blocking and saying what Gandalf says in Lord of the Rings to the Balrog, "You shall not pass!". Lol. Needless to say, it didn't work, and since late Thursday night after our lovely repartee, I came down with a really nasty head and chest cold. I'm sure it's not the keto flu (as I seem to have been managing my ketone levels nicely, with plenty of energy etc. for quite some time now). I actually felt attacked, and my mental state at the time (hurt, despair, soul anguish, disbelief, rejection etc-you get the idea) was not up to protecting anything.

I have scheduled a session with Patrick Rodriguez, as well as a psychologist, because, well, I don't think I'm coping too well with this. I know the Cs have said networking, increasing and applying knowledge, EE and POTS will help. The Cs also stress psychic hygiene too. I'm paraphrasing here, but they have said battles and attack can come from anywhere-through us, family, friends etc.

A search on the net seems to pull up a great deal of New Age Sewage. So, I thought I'd start this thread to see what collective knowledge we have on shields, barriers, using (inviting 1D crystals?) to help with psychic protection. Oh, and another thing-I absolutely love our FOTCM logo, and wondered if we could have it made as jewellery, an amulet or talisman. I may be imagining, but it feels good just looking at it. :)

casiopea-logo.jpg

And lol again, for those who aren't familiar with LOTR, this is the scene I was referring to:

I just can't imagine how painful it must be to go thru what you have with your own mother, Arwenn. From my teen years, I have been very close to my own mom and I still am. I will probably be a total wreck if she passes. It sounds like you are dealing with it straight on and best of luck on processing all of this.

As for FOTCM jewelry, I wanted to have some fashioned out of silver (can't afford gold, LOL). It is fairly inexpensive to have made in the Middle East and I asked my sister-in-law over there to have a bracelet made (a sample), but she never came thru for me. I will have to do it myself when I am relocated, or at least there for a month or two. If I ever get it done, you all will be the first to know. :D

Gurdjieff talked about 'imagination' being a misuse of a useful function - Visualization. To protect yourself from energetic assaults, you have to create an energetic barrier (re: the psyche). Visualization is key to this. Laura briefly touched upon this concept of visualization with the story about aquiring the chateau - charging the crystal. Bring form to the formless.

Kris

Thanks for opening this thread, Arwenn.

It doesn't help Gandalf in the movie either, by the way, he falls into the abyss after all, BUT, and this seems more important, comes out of it as a new man (well kind of transformed). Sorry for not remembering more clearly, despite my name :)

RflctnOfU said:
Gurdjieff talked about 'imagination' being a misuse of a useful function - Visualization. To protect yourself from energetic assaults, you have to create an energetic barrier (re: the psyche). Visualization is key to this. Laura briefly touched upon this concept of visualization with the story about aquiring the chateau - charging the crystal. Bring form to the formless.

Could you point me to where she said this?
Thanks, M.T.

The best psychic protection seems to be a by-product of doing the Work. The stronger and more connected we become on all levels - mental, emotional, physical, energetic and spiritual - the better the protection. Attachments and the like are usually of the lower astral and therefore 'low-vibrating'. The more we do the Work the more 'high-vibrating' we become.

Furthermore, having a physical illness in some part of the body can be a place through which an attack or attachment can come through. An example is a digestive disease where the solar plexus area is less protected. In this case, healing the disease through diet, as well as the underlying karmatic or emotional issues that led to the chronic disease are key.

Regarding the relationship with parents, there seems to be some sort of energetic bond between parents and children. This has the effect that when one's relationship with the parents is out-of-balance, it brings us out-of-balance as well. So I'm not sure if 'divorcing' your mother really works, Arwen.

You will remain connected on a deep level, so the best thing to do is to find some kind - any kind of way to heal your relationship with her to some degree. I think it helps to try to establish more of adult-to-adult relationship with parents, instead of trying to get them to be the 'nurturing parent' that they may simply be unable to be. And of course, always watch out for programs and emotional charges as a lot of that stuff was (unknowingly) created in childhood by our parents.

Lots of good advice already and I'm a big believer that diet is key in keeping your energy levels high and metabolism vigilant in warding off any illness. That said, I'm pretty sensitive to people and vibes and there are a few things I've done protect myself.

A big one is to draw clear boundaries in relationships. Whether it's a friendship, in dating or a family member, it's important to let them know what they can and can not expect from you in a realistic manner. It can be subtle, not responding to an aggressive text message, or blatant, flat out telling people: look, this behavior is unacceptable and if you continue to approach me in this manner I'm done with you. It's important to observe yourself, don't hedge and by that I mean don't let their emotional pity ploys or aggressive bullying push you around. State your intention and be frank. If they aren't willing to accept your boundaries then cut them out of your life. Sometimes that's not possible, because we're talking about a boss or coworker or family member, and you need to develop a strategy, a play, a plan that contains the individual. This requires a bit of cunning, psychological knowledge and a heavy dose of networking.

Something I find useful in a more generalized context is to draw my chi or life force or mana or whatever you want to call it and project it as a layer on top of my skin. I use visualization for that and a lot of the time I can actually feel the juju moving around me. Useful for public transit (NYC subways and buses have a lot of stuff floating around).

Along those same lines I've charged up my chakras, again using visualization and some good environmental context: woods, water, mountain tops, earthy, quiet places. I've also used my fire escape and rooftop in midtown, so it doesn't have to be perfect. The idea is that you draw energy up from the earth and let it rain down from the universe and bath in it. See/feel it charging up each chakra. If you're having a problem drawing boundaries in relationships I especially recommend charging/focusing on your throat chakra, but all are equally important.

Anyway that's about the extent of my knowledge of 'psychic defense', enough can't be said about having a good mental hygiene via doing a lot of the reading that's suggested on the forum. Gabor Mate's When The Body Says No is a big one that Laura has been recommending a lot lately.

Hope that helps! :D

Lilou said:
I just can't imagine how painful it must be to go thru what you have with your own mother, Arwenn. From my teen years, I have been very close to my own mom and I still am. I will probably be a total wreck if she passes. It sounds like you are dealing with it straight on and best of luck on processing all of this.

As for FOTCM jewelry, I wanted to have some fashioned out of silver (can't afford gold, LOL). It is fairly inexpensive to have made in the Middle East and I asked my sister-in-law over there to have a bracelet made (a sample), but she never came thru for me. I will have to do it myself when I am relocated, or at least there for a month or two. If I ever get it done, you all will be the first to know. :D

Thanks Lilou, I'm processing this the best I can. I look forward to P&H's session, yet with some trepidation I must admit. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that the jewelry you requested didn't come through. It would look beautiful. In the Middle East they have a lot of jewelry with blue stones, to ward off the evil eye. I think somehow incorporating that as well along with the logo, would look stunning. Please do let me know if you manage to get something made up in the Middle East!
:)

Minas Tirith said:
Thanks for opening this thread, Arwenn.

It doesn't help Gandalf in the movie either, by the way, he falls into the abyss after all, BUT, and this seems more important, comes out of it as a new man (well kind of transformed). Sorry for not remembering more clearly, despite my name :)

RflctnOfU said:

Could you point me to where she said this?
Thanks, M.T.

Indeed he does-he goes down with the Balrog as Ganfalf the Grey, and the experience transforms him to Gandalf the White. It's a great analogy for doing the Work, and (from my very limited understanding) of Alchemy.

In response to your question above, it was in the last of Laura's Knowledge and Being videos (perhaps where she might have been taking questions from the audience?), where she takes us through a visualization process, with some subtle differences to what is generally spruiked about in NewAge circles.

Arwenn said:
Indeed he does-he goes down with the Balrog as Gandalf the Grey, and the experience transforms him to Gandalf the White. It's a great analogy for doing the Work, and (from my very limited understanding) of Alchemy.

Yes, right! Should see the movies again. In your case it might indicate that even having falling into the abyss you can transform and then start on a new level. Actually quite better than hovering on the bridge ... (Well easier said than done ;))

Arwenn said:
In response to your question above, it was in the last of Laura's Knowledge and Being videos (perhaps where she might have been taking questions from the audience?), where she takes us through a visualization process, with some subtle differences to what is generally spruiked about in NewAge circles.

Thanks, haven't seen this one yet.

M.T.

axj said:
The best psychic protection seems to be a by-product of doing the Work. The stronger and more connected we become on all levels - mental, emotional, physical, energetic and spiritual - the better the protection. Attachments and the like are usually of the lower astral and therefore 'low-vibrating'. The more we do the Work the more 'high-vibrating' we become.

Furthermore, having a physical illness in some part of the body can be a place through which an attack or attachment can come through. An example is a digestive disease where the solar plexus area is less protected. In this case, healing the disease through diet, as well as the underlying karmatic or emotional issues that led to the chronic disease are key.

Regarding the relationship with parents, there seems to be some sort of energetic bond between parents and children. This has the effect that when one's relationship with the parents is out-of-balance, it brings us out-of-balance as well. So I'm not sure if 'divorcing' your mother really works, Arwen.

You will remain connected on a deep level, so the best thing to do is to find some kind - any kind of way to heal your relationship with her to some degree.
I think it helps to try to establish more of adult-to-adult relationship with parents, instead of trying to get them to be the 'nurturing parent' that they may simply be unable to be. And of course, always watch out for programs and emotional charges as a lot of that stuff was (unknowingly) created in childhood by our parents.

Totally get what you are saying about diet and FRV. I have no doubt that there may be past-life/karmic stuff between parents and children. However, I am also very cognizant of the fact that toxic people with fundamentally contractile inner cores (who are on the downward spiral as explicated in Darkness over Tibet) need to be avoided and psychic hygiene maintained. What I have highlighted above are exactly the programs that keep us trapped and a food souce for characteropaths and psychopaths. I have no doubt that once I move last the pain, and have a few sessions with P&H, I may be ready to initiate minimal contact with my relations, if I feel that is necessary.

To be honest though, I would rather use that freed up energy to focus on my children, this network (my spiritual family) and the Work. Just my 2cents!

Puck said:
Lots of good advice already and I'm a big believer that diet is key in keeping your energy levels high and metabolism vigilant in warding off any illness. That said, I'm pretty sensitive to people and vibes and there are a few things I've done protect myself.

A big one is to draw clear boundaries in relationships. Whether it's a friendship, in dating or a family member, it's important to let them know what they can and can not expect from you in a realistic manner. It can be subtle, not responding to an aggressive text message, or blatant, flat out telling people: look, this behavior is unacceptable and if you continue to approach me in this manner I'm done with you. It's important to observe yourself, don't hedge and by that I mean don't let their emotional pity ploys or aggressive bullying push you around. State your intention and be frank. If they aren't willing to accept your boundaries then cut them out of your life. Sometimes that's not possible, because we're talking about a boss or coworker or family member, and you need to develop a strategy, a play, a plan that contains the individual. This requires a bit of cunning, psychological knowledge and a heavy dose of networking.

Something I find useful in a more generalized context is to draw my chi or life force or mana or whatever you want to call it and project it as a layer on top of my skin. I use visualization for that and a lot of the time I can actually feel the juju moving around me. Useful for public transit (NYC subways and buses have a lot of stuff floating around).

Along those same lines I've charged up my chakras, again using visualization and some good environmental context: woods, water, mountain tops, earthy, quiet places. I've also used my fire escape and rooftop in midtown, so it doesn't have to be perfect. The idea is that you draw energy up from the earth and let it rain down from the universe and bath in it. See/feel it charging up each chakra. If you're having a problem drawing boundaries in relationships I especially recommend charging/focusing on your throat chakra, but all are equally important.

Anyway that's about the extent of my knowledge of 'psychic defense', enough can't be said about having a good mental hygiene via doing a lot of the reading that's suggested on the forum. Gabor Mate's When The Body Says No is a big one that Laura has been recommending a lot lately.

Hope that helps! :D

Thanks for your post Puck-that's exactly the sort of stuff I am looking for. Being assertive is an area that I consistently need to work on - it's not that I can't be assertive, but as a highly sensitive person, it takes agreat deal of effort. I wish sometimes that people would know the boundaries and just respect them already! I read some of your posts in dealing with problematical housemates, and I must say Puck, I was very impressed by the way you handled it all and drew those boundaries.

Most of the stuff I have seen on psychic self defense talks about visualizing light and love and auras etc, which seemed a bit NewAgey to me and hence I wanted the group's feedback. It will be something I will ask Patrick. As I said, I know that doing the Work, expanding our awareness, EE and POTS and diet all help, as does getting familiar with our own psychology. It's the gaps in our awareness that perhaps create a problem-I guess this is the value of the network!

Thanks again for chiming in! :)

Arwenn said:
axj said:

You will remain connected on a deep level, so the best thing to do is to find some kind - any kind of way to heal your relationship with her to some degree.
I think it helps to try to establish more of adult-to-adult relationship with parents, instead of trying to get them to be the 'nurturing parent' that they may simply be unable to be. And of course, always watch out for programs and emotional charges as a lot of that stuff was (unknowingly) created in childhood by our parents.

Totally get what you are saying about diet and FRV. I have no doubt that there may be past-life/karmic stuff between parents and children. However, I am also very cognizant of the fact that toxic people with fundamentally contractile inner cores (who are on the downward spiral as explicated in Darkness over Tibet) need to be avoided and psychic hygiene maintained. What I have highlighted above are exactly the programs that keep us trapped and a food souce for characteropaths and psychopaths. I have no doubt that once I move last the pain, and have a few sessions with P&H, I may be ready to initiate minimal contact with my relations, if I feel that is necessary.

To be honest though, I would rather use that freed up energy to focus on my children, this network (my spiritual family) and the Work. Just my 2cents!

There are indeed a lot of programs in the relationship to our parents. After all, they were the ones from whom we got a lot of them.

I'm not saying that your parents should become a big part of your life, but that it is necessary to have balance in that relationship. This can involve setting boundaries and some initial conflict that comes through the necessary adjustments in the relationship. But the intent should be to heal the relationship and make it work to the degree possible.

The relationship to our parents is often a difficult one to heal. So whatever programs or emotional charges she brings up in you, those must be dealt with appropriately as a part of the Work on self.

axj said:
But the intent should be to heal the relationship and make it work to the degree possible.

I think that healing such a relationship could be possible if both parties want this and have a mutual kind of understanding. I'd think that effort should come from both sides. More often than not, this is not possible, and to continue to want to heal such a relationship can be very draining and stressful, as the end result stays the same. I wonder if you've read the book "the Narcissistic Family" axj? And in particular the example they give about wanting to get back to the well?:

We tell the patients a story that uses the "going back to the well" metaphor to help them understand what they are doing:

Let's say that there is a well in your backyard. It's very quaint looking: round, made of old stones, with a little roof on top, and a bucket that you can lower to draw up cool, sweet water. You have many fond childhood memories of going out to the well, maybe with a grandparent or sibling or parent, and they would help you to pull the bucket up. You felt important and proud that you could get the water. Then one day you discovered that the well had been poisoned. When you drank the water, it made you sick. You were very sad that you could never go to the well and get that good water again. You thought and thought about it, and you came up with an idea: I'll go back to the well, but I'll use a New Bucket! So you buy a bucket, get the water, drink it -- and get sick. So you decide to try the water out of a plastic glass, through a straw -- you still get sick. You try to drink the water standing on your head...

The patients get the point. When you go back into dysfunctional, hurtful situations with the expectation that you can ''make it better,'' you are setting yourself up for failure and pain.

Recognition of these behavior patterns, which are shared by many people raised in narcissistic families, is a crucial part of recovery.

Of course there are differences in some families, where some kind of ''stable'' relationship is possible, keeping external consideration and personal boundaries in mind. Fwiw.

Arwenn said:
I have scheduled a session with Patrick Rodriguez, as well as a psychologist, because, well, I don't think I'm coping too well with this. I know the Cs have said networking, increasing and applying knowledge, EE and POTS will help. The Cs also stress psychic hygiene too. I'm paraphrasing here, but they have said battles and attack can come from anywhere-through us, family, friends etc.

That seems to be a sensible approach to your current issues.
If I recall correctly, psychic attacks cannot be made without some lack of awareness in the person who is the target so being aware of such gaps and acknowledging them will probably help.

Oxajil said:
axj said:
But the intent should be to heal the relationship and make it work to the degree possible.

I think that healing such a relationship could be possible if both parties want this and have a mutual kind of understanding. I'd think that effort should come from both sides. More often than not, this is not possible, and to continue to want to heal such a relationship can be very draining and stressful, as the end result stays the same.

There can certainly be cases where the parents either do not want a working relationship with their adult children or are incapable of getting out of destructive patterns that sabotage the relationship. But I would not say that this happens "more often than not". Unless someone happens to have a psychopath for a parent, I think that in most cases parents want a good relationship with their offspring.

Oxajil said:
I wonder if you've read the book "the Narcissistic Family" axj? And in particular the example they give about wanting to get back to the well?:

I haven't read it, but I see what you mean. Yes, I think that it is necessary get rid of those programs that want us to come back to the poisoned well, so to speak. Also, I don't think that the parents themselves are usually the "poisoned well". This "poisoned well" are the unhealthy dynamics that have been established long ago. If the dynamics can be changed through work on self, setting boundaries and so on - then we are no longer going back to the 'unhealthy' interactions.

Back
Top Bottom