Quench - book review

Ollie

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
Quench (Beat fatigue, drop weight and heal your body through the new science of optimal hydration) is authored by Dana Cohen, MD and Gina Bria. Dr Cohen is an internist who has practiced integrative medicine for the past 20 years; Gina Bria is a cultural anthropologist, and an expert on hydration strategies around the world, and head of the Hydration Foundation – a primary source of information on the science of structured water.

It is stated that most of us are in a state of low-grade dehydration from: moisture lacking diets, indoor environments, medications, and cell phone type radiations. Also, from depending upon water as our chief source of hydration. Yet, drinking 8 glasses of water a day is not the answer – it is about water absorption in the body.

This book provides a way to get deep, or optimal, everyday hydration: from the type of water we drink, and when, from eating our water; and by transporting that water, through micromovements throughout the day to draw that water deep into our cells via our fascia (the connective tissue responsible for hydrating our bodies). The book itself is easy to read, full of practical advice, with well referenced science behind that advice, and case studies (with successful results in as little as a week). Well worth the read, and putting into practice. What follows is just a few snippets of what is contained in the book - there is much, much more.

We often think, mistakenly, that things such as headaches, brain fog, afternoon fatigue, insomnia, and joint pain are due to gluten intolerance, too much sugar, or too little exercise. Yet, the key piece to the health puzzle seems to be optimal hydration, the very essence of your health. In fact, going down to the cellular level, you are 99% water and hydration is the key to staying healthy.
It is estimated that humans lose 2 – 3 litres (60 – 100oz) of water a day through breathing, sweating, urine and bowel movements. What goes in must come out, clearing out lingering bacteria, waste by-products, etc. During the day, you should pee at least every three hours.
How do you know when you are dehydrated? Look at your urine colour. If your mouth and/or lips feel dry, you are already dehydrated. If you have brain fog and afternoon fatigue, you are dehydrated.

The first part of optimal hydration.
When you awaken, drink 227 – 454ml (8 – 16oz) of water (non-bottled and not city sourced) with a pinch of salt (sea, Celtic, rock, or Himalayan – for needed minerals) and a squeeze of lemon, if you do not have access to natural spring water. Drink 170 – 227ml (6 – 8oz) of such water before each meal.
Getting water into the cell is the key to hydration, in the cell the water is structured (Pollack’s Fourth phase of water), just as is the water in plants. Drinking structured or gel-like water (natural spring water) means you can drink less liquid and yet be more hydrated. You can also structure the water inside you by exposing your bare skin to infrared and ultraviolet radiation – sunlight on a regular basis.

It is known that desert dwellers are good at harnessing plants to keep themselves hydrated for much longer periods of time compared to city dwellers – they exploit hydration and retention by ingesting plants that are already well-hydrated (think cactus flesh).
Bedouins, gulp rather than sip their water, giving their organs a good soak first thing in the morning and then go about their work. Their daily water intake is, on average, only 1 litre (1 quart). The key is their food intake, eating lots of goat butter and ghee (fat), which provide high levels of electrolytes.
Nomadic Gauchos herding cattle in the Uruguayan pampa plains drink yerba maté during the day. Yerba maté is rich in plant nutrients, minerals, and the right balance of electrolytes; it delivers optimal hydration.

Consuming water contained in plants is better than drinking water alone – it is already purified, alkaline, pH perfect, mineralized, full of nutrients, structured and energized to be absorbed easily into our cells – smoothies will hydrate far better than the same amount of bottled water – drink at least one green smoothie a day; chia seeds, aloe vera and cactus gels are also good hydrators.
Probiotics (ingested fermented foods and drink) help our bodies function far better than water filters.
Fat and hydration work together at the cellular level.
Leafy greens are a major source of structured water, as are chia seeds (which form a gel around them when placed in liquid), other plants that provide excellent hydration are aloe and cactus (prickly pear) gels – add them to your smoothie or swallow it straight.
Plant based smoothies (basically blended vegetables and water) hydrate much better and deliver high-level nutrition than plain water. Have a smoothie mid-morning and another mid-afternoon. Blending food makes it more bioavailable (up to 90% compared with 35% when chewed).

The second part of optimal hydration is getting structured, hydrated, water delivered where it is needed.
Fascia, a casing system for our body parts, including nerves, is a hydraulic system, activated by any motion. It is a key to water transport in the body, and, it is made up of gel water and collagen.
Fascia is a true water system running through your body.
Techniques for manipulating fascia and keeping it elastic include: Yoga, tai chi, qi gong, and dancing; as well as micromovements that you can do throughout the day, even in bed when you wake up, and as you sit at your desk. Motion keeps you hydrated right down to the cellular level, simple and small micromovements (e.g. fidgeting). Massage therapy also hydrates.

Also, in the book, there are recipes for summer and winter smoothies, a table showing the top water content fruits and vegetables, as well as full details on all of the micromovements needed.

For the past two or three weeks, I have practiced the advice given on what to drink (apart from drinking smoothies, which I have yet to indulge in - drinking the equivalent in water), and when, eating leafy greens, and doing a few the micromovements with great success. My urine is the right colour throughout the day, I no longer feel bloated on drinking the same amount of water, and, afternoon fatigue has greatly diminished, as well as joint pains, and this is despite being on antibiotics for some of that period. Also, in the last week I have lost 1kg in weight (over the longer period there may be more, but other factors may have influenced that, and so are not included)

Recommended reading.

Hi Prodigal Son, Thanks for the book review - it sounds like an interesting read.

I have read numerous articles about the optimal daily fluid intake and the set amount of 3 litres a day never really made sense to me, as it depends so much on other factors, like you described in you article above. I’ll certainly order the book (there is a new edition coming out in March 19) and give their hydration strategy a spin.

Drinking too much water causes all kinds of problems for my system to deal with.

I am listening to my body's reaction to excess water. There is evidence in improved performance under restriction of water.

We think water and food are necessary so we have no issues with excess consumption. Try going without for a day or two and notice what happens. You won't die from it but you may wake up a bit.

It is stated that most of us are in a state of low-grade dehydration from: moisture lacking diets, indoor environments, medications, and cell phone type radiations. Also, from depending upon water as our chief source of hydration. Yet, drinking 8 glasses of water a day is not the answer – it is about water absorption in the body.
Getting water into the cell is the key to hydration,

So true. It does not mean that because we drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day that we are well hydrated. We have to make sure that our cells are getting the water.

Thanks for the summary Prodigal son.

Drinking too much water causes all kinds of problems for my system to deal with.

I am listening to my body's reaction to excess water. There is evidence in improved performance under restriction of water.

We think water and food are necessary so we have no issues with excess consumption. Try going without for a day or two and notice what happens. You won't die from it but you may wake up a bit.

The key point that this book gives is: getting hydration in the body tissues as optimal. It is not about how much you drink: first, it is about the source, and type, of the water you intake; and second, it is about moving that water, once it is in your body, to where it needs to be - absorbed in the fascia cells, as fully hydrated water. You need to do both.
Water in the fascia cells that is not hydrated does the job very poorly, or not at all.

The key point that this book gives is: getting hydration in the body tissues as optimal. It is not about how much you drink: first, it is about the source, and type, of the water you intake; and second, it is about moving that water, once it is in your body, to where it needs to be - absorbed in the fascia cells, as fully hydrated water. You need to do both.
Water in the fascia cells that is not hydrated does the job very poorly, or not at all.

Understood. Thanks for the help.

How to do this effectively seems to be the problem. Giving your body a chance to perform correctly. It seems like restricted food and water is a place to start. Leaning in this direction after 10 years of Ketogenic lifestyle seems like proper protocol.

The C's said even super food can be used against us by invading organisms. They need food to survive. I am thinking this may apply to excess water consumption as well.

What if food and water consumption is what keeps us in lockdown here? I'm not saying it is but think about it a bit. Experiment with it for a day or two. That won't kill you and may open your eyes a bit.

So true. It does not mean that because we drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day that we are well hydrated. We have to make sure that our cells are getting the water.
I usually start my day by drinking one glass of water (with or without some salt) in the morning. When I go to work I take three 1-liter bottles of distilled water with me. I put 2 grams of magnesium citrate, a pinch of salt and potassium in one bottle. Without adding these minerals I don't feel hydrated enough even after 3+ liters of water, especially in summer. Potassium seems to play an important role in proper hydration.

Perso, most of the time, I try to drink my water as if I was eating something. I take my time, I chew my water and pass it all around my mouth then I swallow it.

May I add that when I am riding my bike, it is the best way to stay hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom